Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
I miss the Riverside Quarry
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

socalbolter

Apr 3, 2008, 3:35 PM
Post #1 of 7 (2300 views)
Shortcut

I miss the Riverside Quarry  (North_America: United_States: California: Riverside_County: Riverside_Rock_Quarry)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

OK, so the last 6 months or so of life has been interesting:

I was working on a new climbing gym project last year and hurt my wrist pretty badly (torn ligaments and the whole deal). Rehabbing it was a frustrating and slow process (still not really done actually- about 75% maybe?). Figured it was a good time to take a break and let it heal.

We also got (finally) approval for the building permits to a big remodel/addition we wanted to do to our house. Basically the last 3-4 months I've been doing that project. It's nearly done now.

I've been climbing for better than 34 years and in that time have never taken a period of longer than a few weeks away from climbing. I miss it terribly.

Planning on getting back out to the Quarry in the next few weeks to start my road back. There are still a few routes there I'd like to bolt, after which I'll start work on the much needed revision to the guidebook. I hope to have the new book out by the end of the year.

Anyhow, I feel terribly out of touch with the crag. If you've been out lately, share your experiences. I'd love to hear from folks who are enjoying the crag.

Also would welcome any and all comments on difficulty and quality ratings for the routes out there. The first book went to press before the area was as popular as it now is and I'd like to get a much broader consensus for the new edition.

Thanks in advance for the feedback, and I look forward to seeing you all out there again soon.

- Louie

(This post was edited by socalbolter on Apr 3, 2008, 3:41 PM)

ssoifer

Apr 25, 2008, 8:04 PM
Post #2 of 7 (2163 views)
Shortcut

Re: [socalbolter] I miss the Riverside Quarry [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I am going there tomorrow for the first time. Any suggestions on good routes in the 10 range?
In reply to:

socalbolter

Apr 25, 2008, 11:49 PM
Post #3 of 7 (2115 views)
Shortcut

Re: [ssoifer] I miss the Riverside Quarry [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Flexercise - 10b
Trundle Trophy - 10d
Whammy - 10d
Wonderstuff - 10c

Ask around when you get there and people will point you to them.

Have fun!

Muad_Dib

Apr 25, 2008, 11:56 PM
Post #4 of 7 (2106 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Louie-
Riverside rock quarry is awesome!! Thanks for putting up all those sweet routes. When you think about it, that's gotta be some of the freshest granite in the world, or maybe I'm an idiot. But either way it's a great spot and I love the long, well bolted routes. And actually the place seems to have been cleaned up quite extensively. I remember last year it was like you had to walk through a dump to get to the wall. Now it looks, and smells, much better. Sorry, I haven't climbed there enough to give you any comments on specific routes and their grades but I can say it's a very fun spot to go climbing and I'm looking forward to the new guide.

socalbolter

Apr 26, 2008, 12:08 AM
Post #5 of 7 (2102 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Muad_Dib] I miss the Riverside Quarry [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

We've been putting in a lot of work trying to clean the place up.

There are scheduled clean ups all the time and I try to post about them here before hand.

This Sunday the 27th, REI is sponsoring a cleanup from 8:00 until 12:00 noon.If you are going to be climbing there anyway, spend a little time helping out.

Thanks!

blv_2_achv

Apr 29, 2008, 4:37 AM
Post #6 of 7 (2041 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

First and foremost I want to extend a big thank you from a lot of San Diego climbers for the incredible job you and your friends have done with the quarry. The amount of work you all have put in the quarry is certainly appreciated and does not go unnoticed. Thank you.
Any time I jump on the 15 to drive up there, my palms sweat in anticipation of getting on fun challenging routes that allow me and my friends to push our limits. I always walk away amazed at just how fun the climbing is considering we're at a quarry of all places. Two friends of mine and I jumped on Anger Management this past weekend. I truly believe that route deserves five stars and my friends agree as well. The movement is awesome! I look forward to spending many a day at that place. I hope to nab my first .13 there.
The only thing I could recommend would be to have the city pay for a 4 acre umbrella so we can climb there all day even in the dead of summer haha! j/k Anyhow, thanks again Louie. Good luck with your hand man, you'll be back cranking before you know it.

cheers
Austin

socalbolter

Apr 29, 2008, 3:13 PM
Post #7 of 7 (1995 views)
Shortcut

Re: [blv_2_achv] I miss the Riverside Quarry [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks for the kind words. Nice to know that people are enjoying themselves there.

This past Sunday's clean up was a huge success. Big thanks to Memo (sin on this site) for organizing this and rallying the troops.

Another one will come in a month or two.

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook