Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next page Last page  View All

el_layclimber

Apr 19, 2008, 3:25 PM
Post #101 of 194 (7156 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Valarc] Do girls like rock climbers? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I find that my forearm strength improves when I am single, but I have to be careful to train both arms equally.

JackAttack

Apr 19, 2008, 3:49 PM
Post #102 of 194 (7146 views)
Shortcut

Re: [aje963] Do girls like rock climbers? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Responses I have gotten after telling girls that I climb:
"Oh..."
"Isnt that like dangerous or something?"
"Thats...interesting"
"Oh I love rock climbing! Ive climbed the second hardest wall at Six Flags!"

And my personal favorite-
"So does that mean you are like ripped or something?"

Seriously thoug0h- I have found that more often than not girls (climber or not) think it is cool that a guy climbs cause it is such a unique sport (much different from football, basketball, etc.) and it shows that we arent afraid to step outside the box a bit and try things that are a little different or arent considered "the norm"

Ladies, correct me if im wrong cause thats just my interpretation of it...or maybe all the girls I talk to just feel sorry for me Wink

Partner epoch

Apr 20, 2008, 3:56 AM
Post #103 of 194 (7074 views)
Shortcut

Re: [pylonhead] Do girls like rock climbers? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

pylonhead wrote:
epoch wrote:
I put on my robe and wizard hat...

What the f*ck, I told you not to message me again.
Oh ****

damn I gotta write down your names or something

curt

Apr 20, 2008, 6:01 AM
Post #104 of 194 (7050 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

aje963 wrote:
I've been climbing for about a year now and consider climbing a large part of my life. However, every time I tell a girl that I'm a climber, they usually respond with a "yeah, that's cool" and then go on to talk about themselves and what-not. Do girls not consider climbers to be badass enough to get with? I guarantee you that if I told a girl that I ride a crotch rocket they'd instantly become wet with anticipation. Anyone else experienced this sort of situation?

1) Really hot women are attracted to talented climbers.
2) Women do not apparently go for you.

therefore...

3) You suck.

Curt

qwert

Apr 20, 2008, 8:21 AM
Post #105 of 194 (7026 views)
Shortcut

Re: [epoch] Do girls like rock climbers? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

epoch wrote:
pylonhead wrote:
epoch wrote:

Oh ****

Laugh you made my day.

but on the other hand: i suck. i spend to much time on the interwebs. time to go climbing.

Laugh

oh, and something on topic:
I havent found climbing to be either positive or negative. if you talk about it, do it in such a way that you neither sound selfish, nor sound like climbing is somthig that you want to hide.

Now if i only would find the courage to talk to that nice girl i often see when bouldering ...

qwert

ClimbinBob

Apr 20, 2008, 1:31 PM
Post #106 of 194 (6986 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

CoolYes, if they climb. No, if they don't climb. BUT, buy them cool clothes at REI, and they're all yours!!

drunkenhighball

Apr 20, 2008, 1:56 PM
Post #107 of 194 (6973 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jmvc] Do girls like rock climbers? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

jmvc wrote:
drunkenhighball wrote:
AAAAAAAHHHHHHHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!!! I'm giving this my nomination for Best Thread of 2008. I know it is only April, but this is classic.Cool

Yes indeed, I thought sev's contribution was particularly amusing, I had too check that his nick wasn't subtle..

That one about barechested climbers in the gym was good too though..

I couldn't agree more. Since you, sev, seem to be the expert here, I have a question for you.

I don't have a trad rack. Will a big, thick crash-pad full of crap suffice? I'm talking like 5 pairs of shoes, 2 chalk pots, a half dozen brushes, 2 and 1/2 rolls of tape, six-pack of PBR (tallboys of course), 2 red bulls, sandwiches, 1 and 1/2 packs of smokes, and a quarter of chronic.

Of course the shirtless climbing still applies; but do we get extra points with the ladies for wearing a beanie while climbing shirtless? Also, what is the limit on the number of pads and spotters under which the ladies will still flock?

Gmburns2000

Apr 20, 2008, 2:04 PM
Post #108 of 194 (6969 views)
Shortcut

Re: [drunkenhighball] Do girls like rock climbers? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I hear crash pads work well in tents, so you might have that working for you.

asiaclimber

Apr 20, 2008, 2:19 PM
Post #109 of 194 (6961 views)
Shortcut

Re: [richardvg03] Do girls like rock climbers? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

why are you talking to none climer girls?

Bats

Apr 20, 2008, 3:53 PM
Post #110 of 194 (6935 views)
Shortcut

Post deleted by Bats [In reply to]
Report this Post

CrimpinAintEasy

Apr 20, 2008, 4:23 PM
Post #111 of 194 (6915 views)
Shortcut

Re: [ClimbinBob] Do girls like rock climbers? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

drunkenhighball wrote:
jmvc wrote:
drunkenhighball wrote:
AAAAAAAHHHHHHHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!!! I'm giving this my nomination for Best Thread of 2008. I know it is only April, but this is classic.Cool

Yes indeed, I thought sev's contribution was particularly amusing, I had too check that his nick wasn't subtle..

That one about barechested climbers in the gym was good too though..

I couldn't agree more. Since you, sev, seem to be the expert here, I have a question for you.

I don't have a trad rack. Will a big, thick crash-pad full of crap suffice? I'm talking like 5 pairs of shoes, 2 chalk pots, a half dozen brushes, 2 and 1/2 rolls of tape, six-pack of PBR (tallboys of course), 2 red bulls, sandwiches, 1 and 1/2 packs of smokes, and a quarter of chronic.

Of course the shirtless climbing still applies; but do we get extra points with the ladies for wearing a beanie while climbing shirtless? Also, what is the limit on the number of pads and spotters under which the ladies will still flock?

YES extra points for the beanie while climbing shirtless!!!

As for the number of pads and spotters, there are variables to concider: one how high is the problem? two are all the spotters shirtless and wearing beanies as well?

Howver, I would be more impressed (personally) by the full trad rack than the crash pad full of stuff: however ClimbinBob is very right:

ClimbinBob wrote:
CoolYes, if they climb. No, if they don't climb. BUT, buy them cool clothes at REI, and they're all yours!!

Just make that Prana size 4 please!!!!

sev

Apr 20, 2008, 4:33 PM
Post #112 of 194 (6914 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Bats] Do girls like rock climbers? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Bats wrote:
Wow...I have gotten into rockclimbing for the sport, but the guys are not so bad either. I rather have a guy who has a nice muscle toned body than be over muscle on the chest and puny legs. Climber guys are very loving, sharing, caring, and brutally honest. I know I turned on my regular climbing partner and his friends on when I was freezing my A** off outside, for I tough it out. He said most girls would have complain and go home. The other girl that was on this trip did that. I did complain, but so were the guys about the weather. This climbing trip was most memorable. Also the fact no one showered for 4 days. That was the other argument from the girl who left. The environment is harsh deal with it, but if I was asked out by a guy who thought climbing was lame or stupid, he would not get anywhere. "Hey lameO asked them girly girls out instead of me."

I have spent a considerable amount of time trying to decipher this message. I haven't gotten very far despite the time I invested in the endeavor. Maybe you can help by further explaining some of the more complex points that seem to be shooting straight over my head.

Take this sentence, for example: "Climber guys are very loving, sharing, caring, and brutally honest."

What I gather from this is that climber guys are dirty hippies who will say whatever needs to be said in order to secure a belay bitch for the day. Can you confirm/deny?

Next, I'm not quite sure what you're trying to say here: I know I turned on my regular climbing partner and his friends on when I was freezing my A** off outside, for I tough it out.

Your climbing partner wants to get in your tent (if you catch my drift) by complementing your ability to "tough it out" when the weather gets rough? Do you have any evidence to support this claim, or is it purely anecdotal? In other words, how do we know they were really turned on, and you weren't just misinterpreting what they were trying to say? Please clarify.

The following is where I start to lose grasp of the meaning of the entire message: I did complain, but so were the guys about the weather.

As per your own claims earlier in the message, you "tough it out." Do you tough it out, or do you complain? This seems contradictory, but I may just be missing the point, since the whole thing is so convoluted, I have a hard time understanding it. Do you have the ability to tough it out? This sentence certainly disagrees. Furthermore, the guys complained as well! We can go back and modify the original hypothesis of "climber guys are dirty hippies who will say whatever needs to be said in order to secure a belay bitch for the day" to include information about climber guys being pussies who complain as much as the token female.

Everything after that becomes a muddled mess. You go off on a tangent about not showering, and the environment. Then you come around and again assert that you are NOT a girly girl, but the sentence previously presented clearly disagrees with that. I, as I'm sure the rest of the community, would greatly appreciate it if you could provide some additional information that we can use to better understand your nonsensical drivel. In addition to that, could you tell us what it is, exactly, that you're trying to convey through your message?

Thanks for your time.

rodion

Apr 20, 2008, 4:33 PM
Post #113 of 194 (6911 views)
Shortcut

Re: [drunkenhighball] Do girls like rock climbers? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

[drunkenhighball says "I don't have a trad rack. Will a big, thick crash-pad full of crap suffice? I'm talking like 5 pairs of shoes, 2 chalk pots, a half dozen brushes, 2 and 1/2 rolls of tape, six-pack of PBR (tallboys of course), 2 red bulls, sandwiches, 1 and 1/2 packs of smokes, and a quarter of chronic. "]

Sorry buddy, that ain't gonna fly. Girls like bling, and when it comes to climbing, it don't get much better than a glistening pile of shiny new camalots, (supplemented by some 1st or even 2nd generation camalots to prove you're not a noob.) Throw in some tricams, too, to show you're a complex guy.

Guys carrying mattresses 24/7 scream "I want sex," which, as has been mentioned, will startle your prey, and cause them to scurry. As they are to fish and racoons, the subtle shininess and noise-making qualities of a well-developed trad rack are quite appealing to a curious young lady, though not intimidating.

My advice-- drop the pads and start that rack off with a nice set of nuts.

(This post was edited by rodion on Apr 20, 2008, 4:36 PM)

austin.timm

Apr 20, 2008, 4:40 PM
Post #114 of 194 (6908 views)
Shortcut

Re: [granite_grrl] Do girls like rock climbers? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Gmburns2000 wrote:
I have actually found it difficult to not talk about climbing sometimes, so I don't know where this whole "climbing is boring" thing is coming from. In fact, I try to not even bring it up at work because I know people (guys and girls) are always going to ask me about it... ...In short, it must be your approach.
I have to agree one hundred percent. I talk about climbing with my climbing friends but most of the non climbers guys and girls want to do the same which is understandable and people should share their knowledge and experience but I don't want to spend all my time at a top-rope crag teaching people how to pull their first 5.6 which is inevitably what they ask for when you speak of climbing.

Alternatively...
granite_grrl wrote:
\Find a chick who's in to competitive triathalons, or mountain biking, or...or something that keeps them as busy as your climbing keeps you.
And truthfully this could be aerobics for all I care; she can be with her girls and I can be with my boys but all that really matters is that at the end of those times we get back together and cook dinner and have a little time to think about us and not much else.

bizarrodrinker wrote:
So you better have something else going for you.
D33RHUNT3R wrote:
And trust me they can sense a lil boy drooling a mile away... and your done before you even get started ...

You have to be funny, able to throw out quick little facts almost like a Jeopardy player or just really a lovable person, whatever(I won't lie, good looks do help)... but I think that any real man knows better than to go around talking about how 'he doesn't climb he actually pulls the world down' since everybody knows that those guys just lay around home on any given evening and get those big forearms 'climbing' on the internet(a sort of back and forth with a little squeeze and some lotion) instead of going to the park and sitting in the grass with the girl.

Bats

Apr 20, 2008, 4:43 PM
Post #115 of 194 (6904 views)
Shortcut

Post deleted by Bats [In reply to]
Report this Post

rodion

Apr 20, 2008, 4:50 PM
Post #116 of 194 (6888 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Bats] Do girls like rock climbers? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

"dirty hippies", I believe is the correct terminology

aerili

Apr 20, 2008, 6:05 PM
Post #117 of 194 (6842 views)
Shortcut

Re: [epoch] Do girls like rock climbers? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

epoch wrote:
pylonhead wrote:
epoch wrote:

Oh ****

This will teach you, little boy.

Attachments: Magician.gif (26.5 KB)

notapplicable

Apr 20, 2008, 7:58 PM
Post #118 of 194 (6820 views)
Shortcut

Re: [sev] Do girls like rock climbers? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

sev wrote:
Bats wrote:
Wow...I have gotten into rockclimbing for the sport, but the guys are not so bad either. I rather have a guy who has a nice muscle toned body than be over muscle on the chest and puny legs. Climber guys are very loving, sharing, caring, and brutally honest. I know I turned on my regular climbing partner and his friends on when I was freezing my A** off outside, for I tough it out. He said most girls would have complain and go home. The other girl that was on this trip did that. I did complain, but so were the guys about the weather. This climbing trip was most memorable. Also the fact no one showered for 4 days. That was the other argument from the girl who left. The environment is harsh deal with it, but if I was asked out by a guy who thought climbing was lame or stupid, he would not get anywhere. "Hey lameO asked them girly girls out instead of me."

I have spent a considerable amount of time trying to decipher this message. I haven't gotten very far despite the time I invested in the endeavor. Maybe you can help by further explaining some of the more complex points that seem to be shooting straight over my head.

Take this sentence, for example: "Climber guys are very loving, sharing, caring, and brutally honest."

What I gather from this is that climber guys are dirty hippies who will say whatever needs to be said in order to secure a belay bitch for the day. Can you confirm/deny?

Next, I'm not quite sure what you're trying to say here: I know I turned on my regular climbing partner and his friends on when I was freezing my A** off outside, for I tough it out.

Your climbing partner wants to get in your tent (if you catch my drift) by complementing your ability to "tough it out" when the weather gets rough? Do you have any evidence to support this claim, or is it purely anecdotal? In other words, how do we know they were really turned on, and you weren't just misinterpreting what they were trying to say? Please clarify.

The following is where I start to lose grasp of the meaning of the entire message: I did complain, but so were the guys about the weather.

As per your own claims earlier in the message, you "tough it out." Do you tough it out, or do you complain? This seems contradictory, but I may just be missing the point, since the whole thing is so convoluted, I have a hard time understanding it. Do you have the ability to tough it out? This sentence certainly disagrees. Furthermore, the guys complained as well! We can go back and modify the original hypothesis of "climber guys are dirty hippies who will say whatever needs to be said in order to secure a belay bitch for the day" to include information about climber guys being pussies who complain as much as the token female.

Everything after that becomes a muddled mess. You go off on a tangent about not showering, and the environment. Then you come around and again assert that you are NOT a girly girl, but the sentence previously presented clearly disagrees with that. I, as I'm sure the rest of the community, would greatly appreciate it if you could provide some additional information that we can use to better understand your nonsensical drivel. In addition to that, could you tell us what it is, exactly, that you're trying to convey through your message?

Thanks for your time.

I have spent very little time trying to decipher this message. Maybe you can help me understand some of you more asinine points. Its obvious that your striving to be a huge dick but what I am struggling with is the, why of it all.

I'm sure the rest of the community couldnt care less about your nonsensical drivel but perhaps you could explain to us what exactly you are trying to convey through your message anyway.

Thanks for wasting mine and everyone elses time.

sev

Apr 20, 2008, 11:55 PM
Post #119 of 194 (6781 views)
Shortcut

Re: [notapplicable] Do girls like rock climbers? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

notapplicable wrote:
I have spent very little time trying to decipher this message. Maybe you can help me understand some of you more asinine points. Its obvious that your striving to be a huge dick but what I am struggling with is the, why of it all.

I'm sure the rest of the community couldnt care less about your nonsensical drivel but perhaps you could explain to us what exactly you are trying to convey through your message anyway.

Thanks for wasting mine and everyone elses time.

In an attempt to save space on the information super highway, I will use this one post to answer both yours, and drunkenhighball's question. I will start with you:

Which points in particular did you find hard to understand? You have to let me know if you want me to elaborate on them. This is one of those help me help you situations.

On the subject of you being confused as to what the message is: I suggest you supplement your knowledge with a couple of books that I am about to recommend.

1. The Elements of Style by William Strunk. This will help you write better messages on the information super highway. This way, I don't have to pull out most of my hair while wrestling with your elementary writing skills.

2. Introduction to Logic by Harry Gensler coupled with Reading Comprehension Success in 20 Minutes a Day, 3rd Edition by LearningExpress Editors. These two books ought to enable you to read and comprehend a post on the information super highway, and not be totally baffled by the slightly complex nature of it.

When you complete your reading assignment, you can report back to me via private message, or in this thread. We can discuss the finer points further and in more detail if you wish, but only after you have read the aforementioned pieces of literature.

drunkenhighball:

I apologize for not seeing your message. I'm sorry to say that current research shows females favor route climbers over boulderers. Scientists are not sure why, but the numbers suggest that a route climber (particularly a grizzled trad vet) who follows the protocol outlined in a previous post has a 100% chance of acquiring a female. The same research shows that a boulderer (regardless of the size and content of the crash pad) has only about .14% chance. Those odds go up to about 1.2% if the boulderer is wearing a beanie (must be brand name beanie), and they increase still to 2% if the boulderer is in possession of some killer dank.

To summarize, you need to get yourself a Prana beanie and an ounce of killer Cali pot to maximize your chances as a boulderer. Keep in mind that you will still be way behind a trad climber. I suggest you invest in some proper gear.

notapplicable

Apr 21, 2008, 12:20 AM
Post #120 of 194 (6777 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

sev wrote:
Which points in particular did you find hard to understand? You have to let me know if you want me to elaborate on them. This is one of those help me help you situations.

Obviously your having trouble with this so I will rephrase.

Why you be big asshole for no good reason?

sev

Apr 21, 2008, 12:54 AM
Post #121 of 194 (6756 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

notapplicable wrote:
sev wrote:

I'm sorry, I misunderstood. I saw this:

notapplicable wrote:
Maybe you can help me understand some of you more asinine points.

and I assumed you weren't understanding something I was trying to say. Surely you can understand my mistake, since you did say "points", yes? I can see that you did not bother reading the suggested literature, so I will try to clarify some things.

First, we need to look at the definition of a point. A quick look at dictionary.com provides us with this:

A significant, outstanding, or effective idea, argument, or suggestion

As you can see... well, apparently you have trouble seeing this, but take my word for it, I did not make any points in my post. I was simply trying to interpret the message, and I asked some questions to help me along.

Your latest question, however, makes the false assumption that I'm trying to do anything but gain further clarification of a message I can't quite understand. I would say that you're looking for the reason behind my message, rather than trying to understand the nonexistent points that I was not making. The only part of that post that can be construed as a point is the hypothetical theory that climbers are dirty hippies. Even then, that's simply my attempt at extrapolating some sort of coherent meaning from a seemingly random jumble of thoughts.

Does this make sense to you? You did not phrase your question right. You need to understand the subject matter before you can simply march in the middle of it and start asking questions, like a child who wanders into the middle of a movie and wants to know what's going on.

I hope you can see things a little better now. Let me know if I need to explain anything further, I know how frustrating it can be to communicate by means as disconnected and emotionless as the information super highway. Sometimes you just can't get your meaning through.

nivlac

Apr 21, 2008, 12:58 AM
Post #122 of 194 (6753 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

sev wrote:
When you complete your reading assignment, you can report back to me via private message, or in this thread. We can discuss the finer points further and in more detail if you wish, but only after you have read the aforementioned pieces of literature.

I didn't realize we needed your approval to post on the information super $hitway. Oh wait, we don't.

sev

Apr 21, 2008, 1:05 AM
Post #123 of 194 (6748 views)
Shortcut

Re: [nivlac] Do girls like rock climbers? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Absolutely not, and I apologize if I gave you that impression. I was simply saying that if he wants to engage in meaningful discussion with me, that he should reinforce his writing and, more importantly, reading comprehension skills.

I am not the boss of the information super highway. But I am the authority on the subject of climbing having an effect on your social and love life. Everything I say on that particular subject is hard, undeniable fact, and should be taken at face value with absolutely no question.

notapplicable

Apr 21, 2008, 1:38 AM
Post #124 of 194 (6716 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

sev wrote:
notapplicable wrote:
sev wrote:

I'm sorry, I misunderstood. I saw this:

notapplicable wrote:
Maybe you can help me understand some of you more asinine points.

and I assumed you weren't understanding something I was trying to say. Surely you can understand my mistake, since you did say "points", yes? I can see that you did not bother reading the suggested literature, so I will try to clarify some things.

First, we need to look at the definition of a point. A quick look at dictionary.com provides us with this:

A significant, outstanding, or effective idea, argument, or suggestion

As you can see... well, apparently you have trouble seeing this, but take my word for it, I did not make any points in my post. I was simply trying to interpret the message, and I asked some questions to help me along.

Your latest question, however, makes the false assumption that I'm trying to do anything but gain further clarification of a message I can't quite understand. I would say that you're looking for the reason behind my message, rather than trying to understand the nonexistent points that I was not making. The only part of that post that can be construed as a point is the hypothetical theory that climbers are dirty hippies. Even then, that's simply my attempt at extrapolating some sort of coherent meaning from a seemingly random jumble of thoughts.

Does this make sense to you? You did not phrase your question right. You need to understand the subject matter before you can simply march in the middle of it and start asking questions, like a child who wanders into the middle of a movie and wants to know what's going on.

I hope you can see things a little better now. Let me know if I need to explain anything further, I know how frustrating it can be to communicate by means as disconnected and emotionless as the information super highway. Sometimes you just can't get your meaning through.

LaughLaughLaugh

This ^^^is awsome!

Ok so what I gather from this is that if I had used the word 'the' instead of 'your' in my hastily typed parody of your original post you would have understood that you were being an ass for no good reason.

Did it occur to you that english might not be her first language, how about illiteracy, or she may have been half way through a bottle when making that post and there is of course the possibility that the lightheaded delirium resulting from your moms mouth being full of her clit caused her to temporarily lose control of her keyboard.

Despite being a bit rambling Bat's post was easily interpretable but you couldnt let well enough alone. Now I have had to make 4 posts that I will never get back to try and find out why you thought it was necessary to whip you dick out and smack your self in the face with it in a public forum.

Thanks for that, thanks a friggin bunch.

snoopy138

Apr 21, 2008, 1:47 AM
Post #125 of 194 (6976 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

this is way two much analysis. all the girls really want are guys who get the PTFTWs

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Beginners

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook