Forums: Community: Campground:
Which organizaitons do you support with donations and why?
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Campground

Premier Sponsor:

kimsismour

May 14, 2008, 7:30 PM
Post #1 of 11 (626 views)
Shortcut

Which organizaitons do you support with donations and why?
Report this Post
Can't Post

I am curious where everyone donates their hard earned cash to and why... I am a member of a bunch of different organizations, nationally and locally, for all different reasons. Some just to join and be part of the activites, other, like the access fund, because they are a bigger voice than me.

Partner rrrADAM

May 14, 2008, 7:44 PM
Post #2 of 11 (623 views)
Shortcut

Re: [kimsismour] Which organizaitons do you support with donations and why? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Access Fund, I climb
Narcotics Anonymous (at each meeting), I'm a recovering addict
Children's Cancer (on specific occasions), my son's best friend has cancer
Red Cross (on specific occasions), disaster relief
America's 2nd Harvest (on specific occasions), feed the hungry

BTW... You're asking people what organizations and why, you should list your own and why instead of 'a bunch of different organizations...for all different reasons'. Fair enough? Wink

(This post was edited by rrrADAM on May 14, 2008, 7:50 PM)

kimsismour

May 14, 2008, 7:49 PM
Post #3 of 11 (614 views)
Shortcut

Re: [rrrADAM] Which organizaitons do you support with donations and why? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Good Point--

Access fund: because I climb
Sierra Club: for the environment, and travel insurance
American Whitewater: Because I kayak
PSIA/AASI: BC I am a snowboarder

The reason for all of the national org. is because I hope they have a bigger voice than I do.

Locally,
TRPC: kayaking club
Venture Outdoors: Pittsburgh outdoors club
New River Climbing Colition-- I climb at the new
Red river gorge-- to help them pay their mortgage

I know there are more, but those are the major ones that I can think of right now. Just tying to do my part one donation at a time.

(This post was edited by kimsismour on May 14, 2008, 8:18 PM)

uhoh

May 14, 2008, 7:54 PM
Post #4 of 11 (612 views)
Shortcut

Re: [kimsismour] Which organizaitons do you support with donations and why? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

kimsismour wrote:
I am curious where everyone donates their hard earned cash to and why... I am a member of a bunch of different organizations, nationally and locally, for all different reasons. Some just to join and be part of the activites, other, like the access fund, because they are a bigger voice than me.

I usually support local charities and initiatives where I can see the impact in my community.

I've always been skeptical of larger charities and, come to think of it, I don't believe I've ever sent money to Access Fund. Do they have a donations page that I can send to? Do they accept PayPal donations?

I also tend to support services that I use such as websites that are free to members but not to those who run the site.

kimsismour

May 14, 2008, 7:58 PM
Post #5 of 11 (609 views)
Shortcut

Re: [uhoh] Which organizaitons do you support with donations and why? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I would have to agree with you about the larger organizations. I have been giving donations to the access fund for years, but when it comes down to it, they have not done anything in my local area. We have had many closures and access issues, but no help from the access fund. I guess I am helping out in areas where one day I might make it out to climb, and apparenly helping to build another potty at the gunks. Honestly I would rather go to the bathroom in the woods, than use the pottys at the gunks.

Partner rrrADAM

May 14, 2008, 8:16 PM
Post #6 of 11 (600 views)
Shortcut

Re: [uhoh] Which organizaitons do you support with donations and why? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

uhoh wrote:
... come to think of it, I don't believe I've ever sent money to Access Fund. Do they have a donations page that I can send to? Do they accept PayPal donations?

http://www.accessfund.org/join/indiv.php

boymeetsrock

May 14, 2008, 9:01 PM
Post #7 of 11 (593 views)
Shortcut

Re: [rrrADAM] Which organizaitons do you support with donations and why? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Access fund is on the top of my list - 'cause I climb

Local VFW - 'cause those guys deserve it. ...and they send you lots of nice cards and return address stamps if you donate (this is really why Tongue)

Salvation Army - why throw out what others could/ would use (and of course its tax deductible)

There might be one or two others. I'm pretty stingy with my money. One day I hope to make some serious donations to charities which I have not yet considered. $$Smile$$

Partner macherry

May 14, 2008, 9:44 PM
Post #8 of 11 (586 views)
Shortcut

Re: [boymeetsrock] Which organizaitons do you support with donations and why? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

red cross
cancer society(see below)
children's wish foundation (they granted my niece a trip to disneyland a year before she died of cancer..........it was the greatest, lasting memory for her and her family)
my kid's school band (enough said)
local film festival/and other local non profit orgs.

pbnjonny

May 14, 2008, 11:45 PM
Post #9 of 11 (572 views)
Shortcut

Re: [macherry] Which organizaitons do you support with donations and why? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Access Fund - I climb
New River Alliance of Climbers
Red River Gorge Climbing Coalition
Red Cross - when they need it
Salvation Army/Goodwill - donate old clothes
Habitat for Humanity - help out on work days when I can

locally:
Venture Outdoors
Pittsburgh High School Ultimate League (PHUL)
Children's Hospital of Pittsburgh
Explorers Club Pittsburgh - going to join soon

reno

May 15, 2008, 4:38 AM
Post #10 of 11 (554 views)
Shortcut

Re: [pbnjonny] Which organizaitons do you support with donations and why? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Humane Society -- Animals rock.

Packages from Home -- Care packages to injured troops.

United Negro College Fund -- Too many minority kids never get a chance to go to college.

Paramedics for Children -- Bringing basic healthcare and education to kids in impoverished areas of the world.

Republican National Committee -- Just to piss off Bob D'Antonio.

(Nah, not really on that last one. Just wanted to get a rise outta some folks.) Tongue

Partner rrrADAM

May 15, 2008, 11:59 AM
Post #11 of 11 (547 views)
Shortcut

Re: [reno] Which organizaitons do you support with donations and why? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

reno wrote:
United Negro College Fund -- Too many minority kids never get a chance to go to college.
Every year, there are countless scolarships and assistance programs that go unused for minorities, as not enough even want to go to school.

As Dr Bill Cosby pointed out in his 'Ghettosburg' Address, less than 50% even graduate HighSchool, and this is by choice...
http://www.eightcitiesmap.com/transcript_bc.htm
(The above are the transcripts from his address at the 50th Anniversary commemoration of the Brown vs Topeka Board of Education Supreme Court Decision. BTW, Dr Bill Cosby has a PhD in Education.)

His point is that much of what was done in the 50's and 60's to give them the opportunity to get that education has been for naught, as many do NOT even want it. He took a beating for saying what needed to be said, as many do not want to hear it and would rather lay blame than be accountable.

Here where I am now, in Brunswick County North Carolina, only 44% of African Americans graduated HighSchool in 2006.

Sorry for the thread drift. Unsure

(This post was edited by rrrADAM on May 15, 2008, 1:28 PM)

Forums : Community : Campground

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook