Forums: Climbing Information: General:
Don't forget your F(*!£$ING PASSPORT! F*£K!
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for General

Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

sungam

Jun 5, 2008, 6:32 PM
Post #1 of 30 (2111 views)
Shortcut

Don't forget your F(*!£$ING PASSPORT! F*£K!
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

ANGER. I forgot to renew my passport, now my trip to the alps is off. just like that. one minute I'm leaving tomorrow, next minute I notice 2007 on the thing and I'm screwed.
Please, when planning an awesome trip, remember the admin (insurance, passports, visas etc.)
You have no idea how stupid I feel.

-MagnuS

Gmburns2000

Jun 5, 2008, 6:44 PM
Post #2 of 30 (2095 views)
Shortcut

Re: [sungam] Don't forget your F(*!£$ING PASSPORT! F*£K! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Wow, that sucks. My passport has expired, and I need to get it renewed. Thanks for the reminder and good luck getting to the Alps otherwise.

getout87

Jun 5, 2008, 6:48 PM
Post #3 of 30 (2084 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Gmburns2000] Don't forget your F(*!£$ING PASSPORT! F*£K! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Dude that sucks. Are there any cargo planes you can stow away on and then parachute out of?

sungam

Jun 5, 2008, 7:05 PM
Post #4 of 30 (2052 views)
Shortcut

Re: [getout87] Don't forget your F(*!£$ING PASSPORT! F*£K! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Alas, no cargo store. We were hitching.
Totally gutted, had been looking foreward to this for over a year.
The worst thing is I tried to call my partner but no luck... I left him a text but... the longer it is till he finds out the more he will kill me, and my girlfriend already killed me twice, so I only gots 7 more.

-MagnuS

lodi5onu

Jun 5, 2008, 7:07 PM
Post #5 of 30 (2046 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

HOLYFUCKINGSHITMAN I feel your pain. Last summer i drive 2 hrs to the airport just in time to catch my flight and apon getting to check-in reached for my passport and realized it was on the kitchen table....all the sudden it was like slayer was playing seasons in the abyss over the airport PA system

yokese

Jun 5, 2008, 7:16 PM
Post #6 of 30 (2023 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

How long does it take to renew the passport here?
In Spain, the new "electronic" passports are renewed in just a couple of hours, while in the past (the old format passports) it took at least a couple of days. Maybe now you can get the electronic format also pretty fast in the US.

the_climber

Jun 5, 2008, 7:24 PM
Post #7 of 30 (2002 views)
Shortcut

Re: [yokese] Don't forget your F(*!£$ING PASSPORT! F*£K! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

yokese wrote:
In Spain, the new "electronic" passports are renewed in just a couple of hours, while in the past (the old format passports) it took at least a couple of days. Maybe now you can get the electronic format also pretty fast in the US.

Um, he's from Scotland...

Sungam, is there anyway the passport office will rush it through for you. Not sure of the British system, but I had that done here in Canada last time I had the same realization you just had. They were able to rush it through in 24 hours... for an extra cost and a huge extra hassle, but they did it.

reg

Jun 5, 2008, 7:34 PM
Post #8 of 30 (1978 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

sungam wrote:
Alas, no cargo store. We were hitching.
Totally gutted, had been looking foreward to this for over a year.
The worst thing is I tried to call my partner but no luck... I left him a text but... the longer it is till he finds out the more he will kill me, and my girlfriend already killed me twice, so I only gots 7 more.

-MagnuS

i know how that makes ya sick and twists up your gut whenever ya think about that boneheaded, stupid, f'n, dumb........but alas we live and learn! none of the "we" you were going on the trip with brought it up? and your partner is already on the road (plane)? damn! feel sorry for ya bro. try your damnest, as the other suggestion mentioned, to get the ASAP treatment - pay the $$ if need be.

limeydave

Jun 5, 2008, 7:38 PM
Post #9 of 30 (1965 views)
Shortcut

Re: [the_climber] Don't forget your F(*!£$ING PASSPORT! F*£K! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

the_climber wrote:
yokese wrote:

Sungam, is there anyway the passport office will rush it through for you. Not sure of the British system, but I had that done here in Canada last time I had the same realization you just had. They were able to rush it through in 24 hours... for an extra cost and a huge extra hassle, but they did it.

In the old days you could sit in the passport office in London and get it done on the spot. (for an extra fee and a 5 hour wait)

Terrorists are everywhere now though, so I don't know the score these days.

Note to self: Yours expires next month too, send it to DC asap.

getout87

Jun 5, 2008, 7:38 PM
Post #10 of 30 (1964 views)
Shortcut

Re: [reg] Don't forget your F(*!£$ING PASSPORT! F*£K! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

yeah, i feel real bad for you man. here's to hoping it works out for you (raises tea cup).

redpoint73

Jun 5, 2008, 7:39 PM
Post #11 of 30 (1964 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

yokese wrote:

As already stated, the OP is from Scotland.

As far as the US, there is no electronic method to renew. It typically takes a couple weeks, although you can get it expedited for an extra fee. Keep in mind, those of you who need to renew!

dingus

Jun 5, 2008, 7:41 PM
Post #12 of 30 (1955 views)
Shortcut

Re: [reg] Don't forget your F(*!£$ING PASSPORT! F*£K! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

You can get a US Passport these days in 3-days turnaround assuming you have all the proper documentation in order and about $300 large to spend.

A notorized birth cert issued BY THE COUNTY (not the hospital) you were born in is mandatory - not a copy either. The real sealed deal.

Getting that is another 3-4 days and another $200 large.

AND you have to internet and mail some very sensitive personal info all over hell's half acre to pull it off. Best lock up your Equafax and Trans-whatthefuck ever records if you do. A dozen or more people will have access to your ssn, parents names and birthdates, your place of birth, references, mulitple copies of photo IDs, dr. license #... holy shit you will be EXPOSED.

See I know all this from bitter experience.

Less than 7 days, all told....

DMT

dingus

Jun 5, 2008, 7:44 PM
Post #13 of 30 (1944 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

sungam wrote:
ANGER. I forgot to renew my passport, now my trip to the alps is off. just like that. one minute I'm leaving tomorrow, next minute I notice 2007 on the thing and I'm screwed.
Please, when planning an awesome trip, remember the admin (insurance, passports, visas etc.)
You have no idea how stupid I feel.

-MagnuS

Did you call your Embassy?

DMT

tradrenn

Jun 5, 2008, 7:48 PM
Post #14 of 30 (1932 views)
Shortcut

Re: [sungam] I'M A DUMBASS [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Aren't you the part of EU ?

JohnCook

Jun 5, 2008, 7:51 PM
Post #15 of 30 (1921 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Get all your documentation together, with all your gear, hitch to Northampton passport office, its on your way down the M1, and sit and wait, you should get it done in the day if you get there early. I had to do this about three years ago. Check to make sure that 'gordon' hasn't closed the office or changed the rules.
In theory, as the UK is in the EU you do not need a passport to travel between countries. No one looked at ours two years ago, but again, I know 'gordon' has been messing about with this aspect, in the name of 'security'
Good luck with the passport and the climbing.

texasclimber

Jun 5, 2008, 7:53 PM
Post #16 of 30 (1917 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dingus] Don't forget your F(*!£$ING PASSPORT! F*£K! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

This happened to me with 2 friends and my girlfriend (now wife) on our way to Jamaica. First, we missed the flight because my alarm clock didn't go off. We got a flight TWO DAYS later. When we get to the airport they ask for our passports and I thought a DL would be enough; it had been when I visited a couple years previous. Anyway, they let us go away. We got the ticket agent to write a letter, as if she has authority, and when we got to Jamaica they just looked at me (I'm white) and stamped the letter!!!

When we returned to the US, the customs agent didn't want to let me back and I asked him if I sounded and looked Jamaican. He gave me the "angry customs agent" look and let me pass. So it can be done...

side note: This was all before 9-11. Now I can't take a flight without getting probed and prodded.

Gmburns2000

Jun 5, 2008, 7:57 PM
Post #17 of 30 (1907 views)
Shortcut

Re: [texasclimber] Don't forget your F(*!£$ING PASSPORT! F*£K! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

texasclimber wrote:

side note: This was all before 9-11. Now I can't take a flight without getting probed and prodded.

Shit, you can't even go to Canada anymore without a passport.

yokese

Jun 5, 2008, 7:59 PM
Post #18 of 30 (1904 views)
Shortcut

Re: [the_climber] Don't forget your F(*!£$ING PASSPORT! F*£K! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

the_climber wrote:

Then I'm confused... I thought that as a member of the EU, he wouldn't need a passport to go to the French or Italian Alps (I'm not sure about the Swiss Alps thought). I've been traveling around Europe without a passport... wait!... Ok... now I've checked: UK is NOT in the Schengen convention. Crap.

Ah, to clarify, the electronic passport is just a regular passport with a chip embedded in the cover. It's not an "electronic" way to renew the passport by internet. To obtain it, I just had to go to a police station, stay in line for around 1h, give the officer my old passport, show my ID, 10 euros and a photo, and wait for another hour or so to get the new passport printed.

chossmonkey

Jun 5, 2008, 8:07 PM
Post #19 of 30 (1887 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Gmburns2000 wrote:
texasclimber wrote:

Yeah you can. Its getting back to the States that is a problem.

You can still drive both ways with out one.

texasclimber

Jun 5, 2008, 8:08 PM
Post #20 of 30 (1881 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Gmburns2000 wrote:
texasclimber wrote:

Tell me about it! My passport expires in 2 months, right when I have a wedding to go to in MT. We were going to head to Canada (never been), but now I'm not so sure with gas prices and the passport hassles.

Gmburns2000

Jun 5, 2008, 8:12 PM
Post #21 of 30 (1871 views)
Shortcut

Re: [chossmonkey] Don't forget your F(*!£$ING PASSPORT! F*£K! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

chossmonkey wrote:
Gmburns2000 wrote:

Huh. That makes sense about coming back. I guess Canada doesn't require it, but the US does.

What's this about driving both ways without one, though? Are the new passport rules for flying only? If so, then I wasn't aware of that. It is interesting to know if true.

chossmonkey

Jun 5, 2008, 8:41 PM
Post #22 of 30 (1851 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Gmburns2000 wrote:
chossmonkey wrote:
Gmburns2000 wrote:

Huh. That makes sense about coming back. I guess Canada doesn't require it, but the US does.

What's this about driving both ways without one, though? Are the new passport rules for flying only? If so, then I wasn't aware of that. It is interesting to know if true.
The passport rules are for air and sea.

You were supposed to have a passport a while ago for driving but they put it off. I'm not sure when it will go into effect. I think they were looking for a better plan since the idea of everyone needing a passport to cross is stupid. People living near the border cross all the time.

Right now if you drive in its photo ID and birth cert. Having a passport makes life easier though. I have always used mine since I already had it.

sungam

Jun 5, 2008, 11:28 PM
Post #23 of 30 (1788 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

yokese wrote:
the_climber wrote:

Then I'm confused... I thought that as a member of the EU, he wouldn't need a passport to go to the French or Italian Alps (I'm not sure about the Swiss Alps thought). I've been traveling around Europe without a passport... wait!... Ok... now I've checked: UK is NOT in the Schengen convention. Crap.

Ah, to clarify, the electronic passport is just a regular passport with a chip embedded in the cover. It's not an "electronic" way to renew the passport by internet. To obtain it, I just had to go to a police station, stay in line for around 1h, give the officer my old passport, show my ID, 10 euros and a photo, and wait for another hour or so to get the new passport printed.
You get popped hitching without a passport heading through the chunnel and you're nicked for sure.
I have three passports, US, New Zealand, and Scottish. I figured one of them would be in date. D'oh! Luckily got a hold of my friend and we're in line for some scottish epics. ;) come rian or shine, that route is mine and all that malarky.
As for the rush system, I simply do not have the cash for it, already in the red. luckily we hadn't really bought anything yet (was just about to run through the insurance when had to make sure I would be on the UK passport). everything is last minute with me :).
-Magnus

dingus

Jun 5, 2008, 11:42 PM
Post #24 of 30 (1769 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

That's good news. Pop open a Book of Patey, have some single malt and get ready to freeze!

DMT

rtwilli4

Jun 6, 2008, 3:58 AM
Post #25 of 30 (1717 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Just another reason to always have your passport on you person.

ALWAYS!!

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook