RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Gear Heads

Premier Sponsor:

geoteck

Nov 1, 2002, 5:26 PM
Post #1 of 9 (1420 views)
Shortcut

How much smaller?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

How much smaller are your shoes to your street shoes. I have size 14 feet (US) and I just bought a pair of 10.5's. 3.5 sizes smaller!
Some people I know went 4 sizes down.

Just curious how tight some people go (or otherwise - I also heard of a guy who took a half size bigger!!!???)

gunked

Nov 1, 2002, 7:21 PM
Post #2 of 9 (1420 views)
Shortcut

How much smaller? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

OUCH

Jason

If my feet are hurtin', I'm not too jazzed about climbin, cause my mind is on my feet.

jerrygarcia

Nov 1, 2002, 7:28 PM
Post #3 of 9 (1420 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Each manufacturer/shoe is somewhat different. You have to pretty much try em on to know whats right for you.

JerryGarcia

climbjs

Nov 1, 2002, 7:43 PM
Post #4 of 9 (1420 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

3.5 size difference is pretty dramatic! However, in my opinion, it depends on the type of shoe. For example: slippers tend to stretch a bit more than a board-lasted shoe, such as the Boreal Ace.
Story: A friend of mine and I have the same sized feet. We both purchased the same shoes (not for this test, mind you). I purchased mine super tight (about 4 sizes too small), while his were about 2 sizes smaller. We each wore them and after about 2 months, we excahnged shoes. It turns out that they were both the same. So, if you purchase them super small, it is more painful and takes longer to stretch than if you purchase them (in my case, 3 sizes smaller) smaller.

mtnsprts

Nov 1, 2002, 7:58 PM
Post #5 of 9 (1420 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

WOW! I guess it really depends on the manufacturer. I wear a size 12 street shoe and use an 11 Boreal Diablo climbing shoe. If I went any smaller I wouldn't be able to get then on at all.

Cheers

maiorlive

Nov 1, 2002, 8:19 PM
Post #6 of 9 (1420 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey Rod.

This week shoe size is a topic near and dear to my heart. You probably noticed my whimpering in the gym last night.

I bought a pair of Boreal Stingers on Tuesday that are a size and a half smaller (US sizes) than my street shoes. I also tried on some 5.10s and Sportivas. The size difference between the brands was increadible. The Sportivas were 2 sizes smaller again than the Boreals (and they still didn't feel right).

W

stevematthys

Nov 1, 2002, 8:20 PM
Post #7 of 9 (1420 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i size my shoes one size smaller then my street shoes.

scrappydoo

Nov 1, 2002, 8:26 PM
Post #8 of 9 (1420 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have size 14 feet as well, but they're really low volume: A/B width. After checking out all the major brands that offer board lasted shoes, the only ones that fit me well are sporitiva focuses and megas. I have had a 46.5 in the mega, and it was too small/painful for multi-pitch climbs. I now have 47.5's and their perfect.

For Ogiers like us, i think board-lasted shoes are the only way to go. Since the moment arm (distance from ankle to point-of-contact) is so long (producing a lot of leverage to overcome), it is nice to get more support from a stiffer shoe. You can always go with a smaller size for bouldering, but nothing is worse than getting foot cramps halfway through p3 of a 5-pitch climb.

.02$

byt: I forgot to mention that in the sizes you and i have to wear, the sizing difference between companies is HUGE: absolutely, try-before-you-buy.

[ This Message was edited by: scrappydoo on 2002-11-01 12:28 ]

geoteck

Nov 1, 2002, 8:30 PM
Post #9 of 9 (1420 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Major - Yeah, I quickly learned that. I tried on a few shoes and these were the only brand that I could get onto my feet. There's a huge difference between brands. One of the 11's was smaller than one of the 10's (US).

Climbjs - There was no difference at all between the two pairs?? Do you think the larger shoes will stretch more in the end?

Scrappy - It's funny actaully - I ended up getting a 43.5 in my shoes, although the rest of the 44's were too tight. (44 was the biggest size in the city I could find!) I got a slipper though - I think it should do me fine. I like them better than my stiffer shoes!

[ This Message was edited by: geoteck on 2002-11-01 12:34 ]

Forums : Climbing Information : Gear Heads

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook