Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

ipoloton

Jul 17, 2008, 4:41 PM
Post #1 of 26 (7643 views)
Shortcut

Yoga or Tai Chi
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I want to start doing one of these too. But I'm not sure which one. Actually I did a search in the forum and there were more threads about Yoga than Tai Chi. But I also heard good things about Tai Chi.
Is there anyone experienced both so can tell me which one is better?
Thanks

lena_chita

Jul 17, 2008, 4:48 PM
Post #2 of 26 (7637 views)
Shortcut

Re: [ipoloton] Yoga or Tai Chi [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

"Better" for what exactly?

The best one is the one you will actually stick to. So which one YOU like better?

ipoloton

Jul 17, 2008, 4:56 PM
Post #3 of 26 (7632 views)
Shortcut

Re: [lena_chita] Yoga or Tai Chi [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks for your reply .
Actually, it does not matter.
The only good thing about Yoga is that there is two classes here for it; beginner and intermediate. While there is just one class for Tai chi. If I start Yoga I can learn more of it probably than I can learn about Tai Chi.
Otherwise, I am not obsessed with any of them. I just want to be more concentrated and calm while I'm climbing.

sungam

Jul 17, 2008, 5:02 PM
Post #4 of 26 (7624 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

ipoloton wrote:
I want to start doing one of these too. But I'm not sure which one. Actually I did a search in the forum and there were more threads about Yoga than Tai Chi. But I also heard good things about Tai Chi.
Thanks
yoga is better.
In addition to relaxing ETC. it helps with flexibility more than tai chi.
two not too, or is it too, not two?

krusher4

Jul 17, 2008, 5:12 PM
Post #5 of 26 (7610 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Yoga will be good for mental and phyical, Tai Chi is more mental, but mental at a much higher level; good if you love to solo or if your a Zen Master. I do yoga cause im lazy.

ryanb

Jul 17, 2008, 5:15 PM
Post #6 of 26 (7605 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have some (minimal) experience with both and I would recommend yoga. Tai Chi helps develop smooth flowing motion more than yoga but yoga helps more with core strength, flexibility and getting (mentally) comfortable in trully odd (physically) uncomfortable positions. I think you get to the smooth flow thing eventually but i'm not really there yet.

Try and find a class/teacher who has you push through the downward dog, upward dog, plank cycle a number of times per class. I find this really helps build opposition muscles and prevent tendinitis.

mtselman

Jul 17, 2008, 5:18 PM
Post #7 of 26 (7605 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

ipoloton wrote:
Thanks
Check out both. Go with the one which you enjoyed the most. Also, select the one where you liked the teacher the most. Having a good teacher is very important in either of these disciplines.
And don't expect immediate benefits. They will appear if you stick with selected practice in the long term.

granite_grrl

Jul 17, 2008, 5:24 PM
Post #8 of 26 (7599 views)
Shortcut

Re: [krusher4] Yoga or Tai Chi [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Do people actually find that something like yoga or tai-chi actually help with your mental state while climbing?

I've been practicing yoga for years, really enjoy it as a complementry activity to climbing (not as something that will make drastic changes to your climbing though). I have never found that I am in the same mental state in climbing as I am in yoga.

Or perhaps its the type of yoga I enjoy. Vinyassa, or flow classes, flowing with your body and breath. I don't find the same concentration and focus in these classes as what I need for climbing.

To the OP: usually you can take a sample class for free (at least for yoga) to see if you enjoy these activities and the instructors. I'd try them out and see what you enjoy.

sidepull

Jul 17, 2008, 5:47 PM
Post #9 of 26 (7581 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

both

bizarrodrinker

Jul 17, 2008, 6:00 PM
Post #10 of 26 (7572 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

ipoloton wrote:
Thanks for your reply .
The only good thing about Yoga is that there is two classes here for it; beginner and intermediate. While there is just one class for Tai chi. If I start Yoga I can learn more of it probably than I can learn about Tai Chi.
Otherwise, I am not obsessed with any of them. I just want to be more concentrated and calm while I'm climbing.

Aikido is better.

irregularpanda

Jul 17, 2008, 7:00 PM
Post #11 of 26 (7544 views)
Shortcut

Re: [bizarrodrinker] Yoga or Tai Chi [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

bizarrodrinker wrote:
ipoloton wrote:
Thanks for your reply .

Aikido is better.

I agree. when the rock comes at you with a knife like "gimme your wallet, bitch!" you can just grab his granite wrist and toss that sucker.

bizarrodrinker

Jul 17, 2008, 7:12 PM
Post #12 of 26 (7537 views)
Shortcut

Re: [irregularpanda] Yoga or Tai Chi [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

irregularpanda wrote:
bizarrodrinker wrote:
ipoloton wrote:
Thanks for your reply .

Aikido is better.

I agree. when the rock comes at you with a knife like "gimme your wallet, bitch!" you can just grab his granite wrist and toss that sucker.

See, personally I am at the advantage of never having anything in my wallet, so if a rock or anything else asked for it...they are perfectly welcome.

sungam

Jul 17, 2008, 7:18 PM
Post #13 of 26 (7533 views)
Shortcut

Re: [bizarrodrinker] Yoga or Tai Chi [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

bizarrodrinker wrote:
irregularpanda wrote:
bizarrodrinker wrote:
ipoloton wrote:
Thanks for your reply .

Aikido is better.

See, personally I am at the advantage of never having anything in my wallet, so if a rock or anything else asked for it...they are perfectly welcome.
I think he meant dwain.

bizarrodrinker

Jul 17, 2008, 7:46 PM
Post #14 of 26 (7522 views)
Shortcut

Re: [sungam] Yoga or Tai Chi [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

sungam wrote:
bizarrodrinker wrote:
irregularpanda wrote:
bizarrodrinker wrote:
ipoloton wrote:
Thanks for your reply .

Aikido is better.

I think he meant dwain.

Dew yew th1nk? Reel_e?

lena_chita

Jul 17, 2008, 8:35 PM
Post #15 of 26 (7506 views)
Shortcut

Re: [granite_grrl] Yoga or Tai Chi [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

granite_grrl wrote:
Do people actually find that something like yoga or tai-chi actually help with your mental state while climbing?

I've been practicing yoga for years, really enjoy it as a complementry activity to climbing (not as something that will make drastic changes to your climbing though). I have never found that I am in the same mental state in climbing as I am in yoga.

Or perhaps its the type of yoga I enjoy. Vinyassa, or flow classes, flowing with your body and breath. I don't find the same concentration and focus in these classes as what I need for climbing.

I don't know if yoga helps mentally, or not. Theoretically, it would. The ability to relax and focus on calming your breathing while you are trying to stay in that twisted half-moon for 5 more breaths... I can see how that translates into climbing.

But for me, when I am climbing, the mental clarity, concentration and focus comes very naturally. Not every single time, but I can say that all my best redpoints have been in that mental state. (Unless I hear my daughter's voice mid-crux-- Mommy, I need to go to the bathroom!... Then bye-bye focus, redpoint attempt, and all that... it's time to go down and take care of my child. But that's another story)

I can get to the same type of mental awareness, calmness, and clarity during yoga, but it is a lot more struggle for me.

Actually, the first time I felt it while climbing I was like:"Gosh, THIS is what my yoga teacher has been talking about... and all this time, I had no idea." But once I felt it, I found it easier to get to the same state of mind in yoga...

ipoloton

Jul 17, 2008, 11:54 PM
Post #16 of 26 (7492 views)
Shortcut

Re: [lena_chita] Yoga or Tai Chi [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks you Lena and everybody else.
I think I'm taking the Yoga class.
Wish you all the best red points.Smile

lithiummetalman

Jul 18, 2008, 5:36 PM
Post #17 of 26 (7421 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I think BOTH Tai-chi and Yoga compliment each other quite well.

Tai Chi & Yoga helped me quite a bit, especially head and breathing wise.(Qigong breathing exercises and Vinyasa style flow yoga)

Tai-chi may not seem like a 'workout' in flexibility and core, like say Vinyasa style yoga, however, Tai-chi becomes quite a bit more physically/mentally challenging when applied to Taijiquan (combat push-hands) as well as sword and staff play, which is bloody fun!

bigfatrock

Jul 18, 2008, 5:40 PM
Post #18 of 26 (7418 views)
Shortcut

Re: [lithiummetalman] Yoga or Tai Chi [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I cast my vote for Yoga. I have not done TaiChi but I have watched a class. I was bored to tears too. Yoga gives you a work out and yet is relaxing at the same time. I haven't been in a while and I can see I am losing flexibility, which tells me it really helped my flexibility when I was doing it.

wmfork

Jul 18, 2008, 6:40 PM
Post #19 of 26 (7396 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Tai Chi, if practiced like a martial art, will develop (core) power and flexibility. Yoga, while great at developing strength and flexibility, will not develop power by itself (how important power is to climbing, on the other hand, is debatable).

The benefit of Tai Chi or Yoga as mental training, in my mind, is somewhat limited in application to climbing. Neither puts you in a situation of stress that one might find when climbing (run outs, bad fall potential, etc).

hummm

Jul 18, 2008, 7:15 PM
Post #20 of 26 (7378 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Depends on what you are lacking. Strength, power, mental?

Contrary to what most people said here, Tai-chi build some serious core. If you take the right class that actually teaches not only the breathing and the flow of the movement, you will find it is so much harder than Yoga. Don't get me wrong, both will be great for breathing and building core, but it is different. Yoga give you more flexibility, and Tai-chi gives you more endorence/power. Start off with Yoga, then give Tai-chi a try.

I practiced both bofore, I have to say finding a good Tai-chi teacher is hard, and it really kicked my ass. I think between the two, Tai-chi is the next level that you can go to. Plus, yoga classes is everywhere.

kai_da_klimba

Jul 18, 2008, 9:01 PM
Post #21 of 26 (7356 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

granite_grrl wrote:

Yoga will definitely help with your mental state, but you will have to do "enough" of it. How much that is, only you can find out.

I find that for vinyasa style yoga, doing a sequence (typically modified from a sun salute) with intense focus on breath and eyes closed will get me in a mind state that is very grounded, peaceful and full of enjoyment. Cultivating such states of mind is very helpful for you mental state while climbing.

I remember a time when I went bouldering right after a fairly intense yoga class. I realized quickly that I wasn't going to push numbers higher, my "springyness" was a bit compromised. But I was in such a clear and calm mental state that I up-and downclimbed many highballs which usually are scary even to top out.

lena_chita, it is almost unavoidable that you tap into that special mental state for your best redpoints. It's that your best redpoints couldn't happen if you didn't have access to that mental state. It may not be the fault of yoga that you can't find it there. There are so many styles and practices and personal preferences. But of course it's also true that we all have activities that give us easier access to that state, because we are particularly aligned with them. Yoga and Tai Chi just happen to be designed directly with those states in mind.

to the original poster: you may get more direct results for your mental state if you focus directly on it, e.g. using Arno Ilgner's Rock Warrior's Way. As much as I love yoga and would recommend it to anyone, practicing it as a means to an end may lead to frustration. Or to really discovering it, of course.

Last not least, one can not generalize what yoga will do for you. There are styles that will kick anyone's butt in terms of being a workout, styles which emphasize core strength and others which pay no direct attention to it. There's styles and teachers that really focus on the flow. If your local teachers don't give you what you're looking for, there's tons of excellent DVDs that you can use.

k

granite_grrl

Jul 19, 2008, 3:16 PM
Post #22 of 26 (7310 views)
Shortcut

Re: [kai_da_klimba] Yoga or Tai Chi [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

kai_da_klimba wrote:
granite_grrl wrote:

Yoga will definitely help with your mental state, but you will have to do "enough" of it. How much that is, only you can find out.

I find that for vinyasa style yoga, doing a sequence (typically modified from a sun salute) with intense focus on breath and eyes closed will get me in a mind state that is very grounded, peaceful and full of enjoyment. Cultivating such states of mind is very helpful for you mental state while climbing.

I remember a time when I went bouldering right after a fairly intense yoga class. I realized quickly that I wasn't going to push numbers higher, my "springyness" was a bit compromised. But I was in such a clear and calm mental state that I up-and downclimbed many highballs which usually are scary even to top out.

lena_chita, it is almost unavoidable that you tap into that special mental state for your best redpoints. It's that your best redpoints couldn't happen if you didn't have access to that mental state. It may not be the fault of yoga that you can't find it there. There are so many styles and practices and personal preferences. But of course it's also true that we all have activities that give us easier access to that state, because we are particularly aligned with them. Yoga and Tai Chi just happen to be designed directly with those states in mind.

to the original poster: you may get more direct results for your mental state if you focus directly on it, e.g. using Arno Ilgner's Rock Warrior's Way. As much as I love yoga and would recommend it to anyone, practicing it as a means to an end may lead to frustration. Or to really discovering it, of course.

Last not least, one can not generalize what yoga will do for you. There are styles that will kick anyone's butt in terms of being a workout, styles which emphasize core strength and others which pay no direct attention to it. There's styles and teachers that really focus on the flow. If your local teachers don't give you what you're looking for, there's tons of excellent DVDs that you can use.

k

It is interesting that two of you have found that achieving the same mental state in climbing as yoga has helped.

Perhaps I don't do it "enough", but I doubt that that's really the difference. I manage to do a proper practice once or twice a week, and have had periods when I'm practicing much much more than that.

I think that you tow just manage a different mind set during yoga than I do. I have been most into it when doing two classes in a row, about 2.5 hours of yoga. It really is amazing when I come out after these session. But this is nothing like the mind set I have during a hard red point, or a hard gear onsight, and especially the intensity of runout trad climbing.

I wonder how different the mind set is of different yoga gurus. It is supposed to be the path to a higher mind level. I just wonder how different the paths are for different people. Food for thought.

scotty1974

Jul 19, 2008, 3:50 PM
Post #23 of 26 (7304 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Haven't done Thai Chi, but I like yoga. Recently I had to go to physical therapy and was interested in pilates. Now THAT is great, especially when mixed with yoga. It will teach you to breathe and make your core soooo strong. It's all about the core. So I would recommend a blend of those two disciplines.

katiedid1277

Jul 27, 2008, 1:47 AM
Post #24 of 26 (7186 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

yoga

styndall

Jul 27, 2008, 3:35 AM
Post #25 of 26 (7171 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

ipoloton wrote:
Thanks for your reply .

If you want to be more concentrated and calm while you're climbing, climb more. The more you climb outside your comfort zone, the bigger your comfort zone will get.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook