Premier Sponsor:

beerandblood
Deleted

Oct 20, 2001, 3:45 AM
Post #1 of 13 (6042 views)
Shortcut

Climbing goes beyond grades, expectations, ego. What do you
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

import_temporary

metoliusmunchkin

Oct 20, 2001, 3:57 AM
Post #2 of 13 (6042 views)
Shortcut

Climbing goes beyond grades, expectations, ego. What do you [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I climb solely for myslef, and for no other. Currently I am climbing at a sort of 'mini-gym' and all of the routes there have no grades. The only way I can realise that I am getting better, is if I can do the impossible moves of the past, in the present. The only way to know that I am getting better is to feel it, and isn't that what climbing is generally about? Feeling your body, and going through the motions, gradually getting stronger in a race for the top against yourself? That's how I feel.

I use grades only as a way of determining my level of climbing. I do not brag about climbing 5.12's, I say that I am currently at the level of 5.9/5.10, and am proud of it! When I notice that I am gradually getting to the 5.11/5.12 level, I will know that I am improving my climbing skills aswell as my strength. Climbing is a delicate, complicated, yet very compliant with strength aswell.
In other words: It rocks man!!

-Pat.

Partner rrrADAM

Oct 20, 2001, 4:00 AM
Post #3 of 13 (6042 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I climb so I can fit in with all of you here at RC.com.

Partner rrrADAM

Oct 20, 2001, 4:11 AM
Post #4 of 13 (6043 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Same answer to 'Why do you climb ???'
and 'The sole reason you climb ???' posted earlier.

I'M HOOKED !!!

kriso9tails

Oct 20, 2001, 4:21 AM
Post #5 of 13 (6044 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

All of the above. a) grades (in part) it's good to feel 'elite' at something: sure I'm not climbing very hard as far as climbers go, but your average joe schmoe can't do what we do. b) expectations: well that's vague, but I like it when I go out to get a certain sensation, or conquer a new goal, or to even feel like I can actually get away for a moment without consequence. c)ego: if you don't have an ego it must be a strain on your mental health. I'm not saying that I should be a pretentious jerk, but when people find out that I climb and act as if I'm crazy (in a good way: almost fearless) I get a little bit of a kick out of it. What's truly nice is that I don't have to be a snob in doing so because I often get people intereste in the sport, and they can get the same kick. d)for myself: well... I don't believe in any such thing as selflessness... it's a paradox... an impossibility... a romanticized notion that our lives somehow more meaningful when there's meaning enough in my life already. I don't need anymore delusions added to those from which I already suffer. e) image: I look sexy in climbing gear (file this under afore mentioned delusions ).

[ This Message was edited by: kriso9tails on 2001-10-19 21:23 ]

coach713
Deleted

Oct 20, 2001, 2:26 PM
Post #6 of 13 (6042 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have 5 boys, all very athletic. 4 have now gone on to College. I have Coached them all for many years, and I was missing that contact with them.. I was desperate to figure out a way to keep us close and doing things together... I went out, bought some climbing epuipment and gear, And the rest is histroy.... We are BACK to gether again. Me and 3 of my boys are heading out again for the weekend in about 30-minutes...

YAHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

daisuke

Oct 20, 2001, 2:57 PM
Post #7 of 13 (6042 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I climb because it gives me a chance to better myself, to impose limits on myself and break them. to just get to the top because I can, and if I can't... well then I just need to work harder. I can climb a 5.10b on my best day since I've just started climbing, yet I'm working on an 11b and every new move I can make on it makes me feel like I've accomplished something, maybe it's a way of organizing my life. ratings merely help me figure out how much I have left to go. I'm not interested in reaching the 5.14 goal... just being as good as I can be.

D

drulints

Oct 20, 2001, 3:31 PM
Post #8 of 13 (6042 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I like climbing cause I like climbing. It makes me happy when I climb. God's creation is stinking awesome!!

compclimber

Oct 20, 2001, 4:33 PM
Post #9 of 13 (6042 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

You know that feeling when your climbing and the wind is blowing up the wall....it feels like you could let go and just fly to the top It is feelings like this that I havent experianced anywhere else. Its you and the rock and your partener you have to be so focused on the climbing that you dont worry about how far away your next pay check is (thank god )And its also a bond between people...you can walk up to any campground and "most" climbers are totally cool with you hanging out with them.

These are only a few on a very long list of why I climb.

hardcoredana

Oct 20, 2001, 10:13 PM
Post #10 of 13 (6043 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I climb because I like scars. Scars are cool. And I have lots of them.

Seriously, I climb because there is something so simple and pure about it. I love to lose myself in a climb, I love the feeling of being totally focused on how my body moves across the rock. I like to climb because I love taking calculated risks. I like to climb because I love solving puzzles and working problems. I like to climb because the climbing community is the most supportive community I have ever participated in. I like to climb because with each route or problem I complete, I know myself a little better.

I don't climb for grades, I don't climb for ego. I suppose you could say that I climb for myself and I climb for expectations that I place upon myself. Why is this? I am who I am--it's my personality. Now, the real question is whether personality is determined by genetics or upbringing.

vaness

Oct 21, 2001, 12:50 AM
Post #11 of 13 (6043 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i climb because its one of the few things i can do and not care if someone thinks im stupid for it.
because when i am on a rock nothing else matters. i can hear voices fade away and hear only my breath.
because im addicted
because when i reach the top i can look out and see the whole city or the whole park or wherever i am
because its a way of freedome
i could go on forever. there are so many reasons. if i climbed for ego or grades i feel that i couldnt get anywhere with climbing. im young and im still learning a lot about climbing and im going to be for a long time. if i climbed just to be good at it or for my ego i think i would be an asshole when i get older.

tristero

Oct 25, 2001, 4:07 PM
Post #12 of 13 (6043 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

...it fulfills that largest dream we all share.... a life of meaningful experiences.
I find tremendous satisfaction in feeling my mind/body functioning at and beyond its' limits. We are a continually evolving life form....I'm just doing my part. Nothing exercises the Human Spirit or advances my species as summarily as Rock Climbing.

fiend

Oct 25, 2001, 7:28 PM
Post #13 of 13 (6044 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I climb for grades. I climb to push myself against my own achievements and prove to myself that I can do it, that I am a strong climber, that I have skill.

I climb for ego. I was never good at team sports throughout highschool, I was chubby and uncoordinated. I was good at climbing. When I started climbing seriously I lost 35 odd lbs. I felt better about myself because I looked better and could say that I was good at something too. I liked the feeling of being better than some of those who used to make fun of me for not being good at basketball.

I climb for expectations. Mostly my own expectations, I often feel I should be climbing harder and compare myself to others, that is natural to some extent and I'm not ashamed of it.

I climb for myself. Because I love it.

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook