Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

ski.ninja

Oct 9, 2008, 8:23 AM
Post #1 of 36 (9942 views)
Shortcut

Under Armour
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Under Armour: Worth ten times it's weight in gold. I know it's good stuff, I know that I've been drooling over it for months; now I know there's a sale on. My only question is: what am I looking for? Having never actually worn the stuff before I'm not entirely sure how effective the various cold weather versions are. So I now ask the community for their input. What have you owned and loved (or hated), where you were using it and what you were doing in it (let's not get too personal. I don't want this turning into a "so we went back to my tent for some hot cider" thread *cough*sungam*cough*)

Context: 6'2 proportional male (I like fondue, making picture frames out of old biners, and long walks on the beach) in the BC coastal mountains.

Activities: Skiing (rec, guide, patrol), mountaineering, hiking (early/late season), generally being outside in crappy weather.

Cheers!

JB.

Partner epoch

Oct 9, 2008, 11:32 AM
Post #2 of 36 (9916 views)
Shortcut

Re: [ski.ninja] Under Armour [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Under Armor - the new spandex...

binrat

Oct 9, 2008, 12:02 PM
Post #3 of 36 (9906 views)
Shortcut

Re: [epoch] Under Armour [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

epoch wrote:
Under Armor - the new spandex...
At 10 times the cost. Not worth it in my books as there is alot of better stuff out there that is cheaper.

binrat

zealotnoob

Oct 9, 2008, 12:28 PM
Post #4 of 36 (9890 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If you want to use it as a base layer, fine. But nothing screams D-bag more than a dood sporting a spandex shirt.

Why do you say it is so good?

tigerlilly

Oct 9, 2008, 12:55 PM
Post #5 of 36 (9862 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

ski.ninja wrote:
Under Armour: Worth ten times it's weight in gold. I know it's good stuff, I know that I've been drooling over it for months; now I know there's a sale on. My only question is: what am I looking for? Having never actually worn the stuff before I'm not entirely sure how effective the various cold weather versions are. So I now ask the community for their input. What have you owned and loved (or hated), where you were using it and what you were doing in it (let's not get too personal. I don't want this turning into a "so we went back to my tent for some hot cider" thread *cough*sungam*cough*)

Context: 6'2 proportional male (I like fondue, making picture frames out of old biners, and long walks on the beach) in the BC coastal mountains.

Activities: Skiing (rec, guide, patrol), mountaineering, hiking (early/late season), generally being outside in crappy weather.

Cheers!

JB.

Honestly, Ice Breaker merino woolen goods are waaaaaay better for cold weather. Even pricier, but worth it. I have one UA cold weather top, and I have never had the courage to actually wear it outdoors. I put it on inside, and it feels like it is sucking the heat right out of me. Their hot weather stuff is great because I want it to suck the heat out of me, but forget them for cold.

Kathy

rockforlife

Oct 9, 2008, 1:32 PM
Post #6 of 36 (9841 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

ski.ninja wrote:

Cheers!

JB.

If i were you i would go with a marina wool. like Icebreaker, or i know Arcteryx has some good stuff that is like the others.

reverse_dyno

Oct 9, 2008, 2:15 PM
Post #7 of 36 (9800 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have an under amour tee shirt I never wear. It chafes in the arm pits, which makes it uncomfortable doing anything where I need to move my arms much. I would get the tank top version if I were you, or the long sleeve. But the short tee shirt sleeves creep up and cause the chafing.

cragmasterp

Oct 9, 2008, 2:17 PM
Post #8 of 36 (9798 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Patagonia Capilene has been my base layer choice for more than 20 years. It lasts much longer than the cheaper stuff. Now they have 4 different weights of the stuff. The boxer shorts are particularly nice.

I would think a ski patrol in BC would know a helluva lot more about base layers than a country boy from the Appalachians though.

Merino wool is the bomb if you can afford it. Silk is also good but wears out too quick.

Screw under armour. I thought that stuff was only for ball sports/fashion statements. Its way over priced IMO.

rhythm164

Oct 9, 2008, 2:32 PM
Post #9 of 36 (9786 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

ugh, that stuff is shit. I got a shirt as a gift and went running in it 1 time and it was horrible, never again. invest in Capilene instead, comfy, warm, and tough as bricks

(This post was edited by rhythm164 on Oct 9, 2008, 2:35 PM)

colatownkid

Oct 9, 2008, 3:21 PM
Post #10 of 36 (9729 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

another push for patagonia capilene.

Merkin

Oct 9, 2008, 3:22 PM
Post #11 of 36 (9724 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I’m not fond of it and agree that there are better base layers.

P.S. Please don’t be that guy at the gym that uses it as “Outer Armor”

Ray

sidepull

Oct 9, 2008, 3:33 PM
Post #12 of 36 (9702 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Whoa! You are all missing the boat. Let me tell you a true honest action sequence from this very weekend of honest true action. I was bouldering with my crew working this gnarly v10 variation we had created by using only the left portion of the jugs on this classic line - burly! I tried the traditional bouldering approach - shirtless to make sure that my reach ego and aura weren't inhibited by my t-shirt. but "proud mary" (that's what we named our awesome creation of which i made the true honest first ascent) - she wasn't having it. after a quick rest and a swig of gatorade supplemented with some BCAA's (for full recovery) I put on my under armor. I felt strong - and as soon as I pulled onto the leftside of that first jug that was no longer a jug because I was pulling only on the left side I honestly knew that I would send. The action was intense, but I truly sent then promptly uploaded pics to 0friction and updated my scorecard on 8a.nu.

shockabuku

Oct 9, 2008, 3:46 PM
Post #13 of 36 (9678 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Buy the knockoff at Target for 1/4 the price. It's the same stuff.

altmarc

Oct 9, 2008, 3:48 PM
Post #14 of 36 (9674 views)
Shortcut

Re: [sidepull] Under Armour [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

what does some sick v10 have to do with UA.....?
but yeah, someone gave me a bunch (for work uniform) so i tried it alot....and it is not really that great and honestly it just feels wierd
I prefer no shirt, cotton, wool...for increasing temp.

lena_chita

Oct 9, 2008, 3:55 PM
Post #15 of 36 (9664 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

ski.ninja wrote:

Answers: Patagonia Capilene, Icebreaker, Smartwool

dreday3000

Oct 9, 2008, 4:18 PM
Post #16 of 36 (9643 views)
Shortcut

Re: [zealotnoob] Under Armour [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
If you want to use it as a base layer, fine. But nothing screams D-bag more than a dood sporting a spandex shirt.

true. so true.

irregularpanda

Oct 9, 2008, 4:33 PM
Post #17 of 36 (9620 views)
Shortcut

Re: [lena_chita] Under Armour [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

lena_chita wrote:
ski.ninja wrote:

Agreed. Go to geartrade.com if you don't want to pay 80 bucks for a base layer.

AlexCV

Oct 9, 2008, 4:34 PM
Post #18 of 36 (9618 views)
Shortcut

Re: [lena_chita] Under Armour [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

lena_chita wrote:

I agree with this. I have a bunch of Icebreaker stuff and it's great. A 200-weight and 320-weight top layered together is a great combination for long approaches. Throw a soft shell over when the temperature dips below -5C. Maybe a fleece as well in -15C.

I also have some capilene and it works just as well, is cheaper and somewhat stinkier.

binrat

Oct 9, 2008, 4:43 PM
Post #19 of 36 (9608 views)
Shortcut

Re: [AlexCV] Under Armour [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

If you are in the Vancouver area go to Arc'teryx outlet and get some good gear at a reduced price.

binrat

AlexCV

Oct 9, 2008, 6:39 PM
Post #20 of 36 (9552 views)
Shortcut

Re: [binrat] Under Armour [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

binrat wrote:
If you are in the Vancouver area go to Arc'teryx outlet and get some good gear at a reduced price.

binrat

I wish, I'm in Montreal so it's a bit of a drive. Might be in vancouver for
a few hours next month so I'll see if I can swing something.

maldaly

Oct 9, 2008, 6:53 PM
Post #21 of 36 (9537 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Last time I checked all of the UA stuff was knit from nylon. While nylon will hold its shape well, and can be combined with spandex, nylon is hydrophylic (will absorb water) and thus, feels cold against your skin. Some of the above comments support this.

Stick with Capilene. You won't look like a jock but you'll be warm and dry.
Mal

Alpinisto

Oct 9, 2008, 7:57 PM
Post #22 of 36 (9502 views)
Shortcut

Re: [shockabuku] Under Armour [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

shockabuku wrote:
Buy the knockoff at Target for 1/4 the price. It's the same stuff.

+1

And wait till it's on end-of-seaon clearance, like I do (cheap bastard that I am)....

sidepull

Oct 9, 2008, 11:17 PM
Post #23 of 36 (9444 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Alpinisto] Under Armour [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

i wasted my first attempt at satire on this lame thread without a single haw, har or guffaw Frown

gunkiemike

Oct 9, 2008, 11:59 PM
Post #24 of 36 (9414 views)
Shortcut

Re: [maldaly] Under Armour [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

maldaly wrote:
Last time I checked all of the UA stuff was knit from nylon. While nylon will hold its shape well, and can be combined with spandex, nylon is hydrophylic (will absorb water) and thus, feels cold against your skin. Some of the above comments support this.

Stick with Capilene. You won't look like a jock but you'll be warm and dry.
Mal

I didn't know this (wish I had before I bought my only bit of UA), but it explains the dreadful performance of this stuff for active cold weather use. First time I hammered the approach to a local ice climb in my new UA shirt (sweat it up real good then stand around a lot while we climb. This is not a problem in wicking polyester tops or wool.) I couldn't believe how cold I was for the next few hours. The stuff is only marginally better than cotton. Reminiscent of EMS's own brand of base layer about 8 yr ago, which was marginally WORSE than cotton. Main fiber in that crap? Nylon.

Edit - just checked the tag on my UA shirt. 95% polyester (i.e. not nylon) Still colder and wetter than the $9 poly top I bought at Target.

(This post was edited by gunkiemike on Oct 10, 2008, 1:32 AM)

tready

Oct 10, 2008, 12:00 AM
Post #25 of 36 (9414 views)
Shortcut

Re: [sidepull] Under Armour [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I bought one of the "thicker" UA base layers last winter during a particular cold stretch and was actually quite pleased with it. Hell of a lot more durable than I thought it was going to be.

Granted, I've used it primarilly for work, running, and biking. I'm not into the alpine/ice stuff, so if it's cold enough out to warrant me putting it on, there's probably no real chance I'll be climbing.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Gear Heads

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook