Forums: Climbing Disciplines: Alpine & Ice:
F*CK. Grivel super asymmetrical center bars- a long version?
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Alpine & Ice

Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

sungam

Oct 24, 2008, 5:00 PM
Post #26 of 36 (869 views)
Shortcut

Re: [the_climber] F*CK. Grivel super asymmetrical center bars- a long version? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

the_climber wrote:
You know if you just had one made custom you wouldn't have to file the bar 2 to 3 hours per evening for the next 2 and a half weeks... You realize this right?
I dunno anyone who can do that. You really think it'll take that long?
I havn't bought anything yet, so if you could suggest someone who could make one, that would pretty much rock.

the_climber

Oct 24, 2008, 5:09 PM
Post #27 of 36 (866 views)
Shortcut

Re: [sungam] F*CK. Grivel super asymmetrical center bars- a long version? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

sungam wrote:
the_climber wrote:
You know if you just had one made custom you wouldn't have to file the bar 2 to 3 hours per evening for the next 2 and a half weeks... You realize this right?
I havn't bought anything yet, so if you could suggest someone who could make one, that would pretty much rock.

Almost any fabrication shop or welding shop could make it for you. You'd have to speak with them and explain what it is your wanting.

I have a set of BD 'poons in the basement. Give me a couple min to look at the center plates side by side so we're on the same page.

sungam

Oct 24, 2008, 5:15 PM
Post #28 of 36 (862 views)
Shortcut

Re: [the_climber] F*CK. Grivel super asymmetrical center bars- a long version? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

the_climber wrote:
sungam wrote:
the_climber wrote:

Almost any fabrication shop or welding shop could make it for you. You'd have to speak with them and explain what it is your wanting.

I have a set of BD 'poons in the basement. Give me a couple min to look at the center plates side by side so we're on the same page.
I think that I'd only have to file a short section of them thinner (the plate fits through the front section, just not the back part), and I would saw off the unneeded section.

the_climber

Oct 24, 2008, 5:30 PM
Post #29 of 36 (859 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

OK, so I compaired the plates from a set of BD Sabertooths to the plates on my beloved G14's newmatics. Man have I ever put a lot of wear and milage on those things. I think I remember you saying that you got the GSB G14's, correct?

Now that I've had a better look at things...
Alright this is what I would do given trying to make said BD center plate work.

THe BD plate is about 0.5mm thicker than the stock Grivel plate. The top end of the BD center plate (end for front of the crampon) increases in width, and is ~0.5mm-1mm too wide. But I managed without any trouble to get it through the keeper slots on the front half of the Grivels up to the point at which the width increases. Go a head and file that down to a narrower profile. I had thought the thickness of the bar would be more of an overall problem, but it's not... except for one part. Try as much as I could the BD plate will not fit the back half of the G14's with the quick adjust in place. You will have to remove this and secure the plate to the back with a bolt. A bolt is more secure anyways and you wouldn't weaken the plate by thinning it out. I'm assuming that you only have one pair of boots that you can use these 'poons with, so the lack of easy adjustment shouldn't bother you.

I had assumed you were going to have to thin down plate end to end, but that is not the case.

Short version:
-Get the BD plates
-file the wide bit at the top by ~0.5mm-1mm
-toss the quick/spring adjust from the back half of the poon into the parts bin and use a small bolt to attach the plat eto the heel piece.

(This post was edited by the_climber on Oct 24, 2008, 5:32 PM)

sungam

Oct 24, 2008, 5:35 PM
Post #30 of 36 (852 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Key plan about the bolt thing. Yeah, I just have the one pair of boots.
Thank you, oh information guru.
(side note- we have the same 2 sets of 'poons? BD Sabretooths and G14's?)

the_climber

Oct 24, 2008, 5:40 PM
Post #31 of 36 (851 views)
Shortcut

Re: [sungam] F*CK. Grivel super asymmetrical center bars- a long version? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

sungam wrote:
Key plan about the bolt thing. Yeah, I just have the one pair of boots.
Thank you, oh information guru.
(side note- we have the same 2 sets of 'poons? BD Sabretooths and G14's?)

No problem.

Yes BD Sabretooths and G14's. I would trade the Sabretooths for a set of G12's with New-matic bindings in a heartbeat though.

chossmonkey

Oct 24, 2008, 7:20 PM
Post #32 of 36 (835 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

the_climber wrote:
OK, so I compaired the plates from a set of BD Sabertooths to the plates on my beloved G14's newmatics. Man have I ever put a lot of wear and milage on those things. I think I remember you saying that you got the GSB G14's, correct?

THe BD plate is about 0.5mm thicker than the stock Grivel plate. The top end of the BD center plate (end for front of the crampon) increases in width, and is ~0.5mm-1mm too wide. But I managed without any trouble to get it through the keeper slots on the front half of the Grivels up to the point at which the width increases. Go a head and file that down to a narrower profile. I had thought the thickness of the bar would be more of an overall problem, but it's not... except for one part. Try as much as I could the BD plate will not fit the back half of the G14's with the quick adjust in place. You will have to remove this and secure the plate to the back with a bolt. A bolt is more secure anyways and you wouldn't weaken the plate by thinning it out. I'm assuming that you only have one pair of boots that you can use these 'poons with, so the lack of easy adjustment shouldn't bother you.

I had assumed you were going to have to thin down plate end to end, but that is not the case.

Short version:
-Get the BD plates
-toss the quick/spring adjust from the back half of the poon into the parts bin and use a small bolt to attach the plat eto the heel piece.
Good thing you included a short version. I don't think anyone wants to read the long one.

the_climber

Oct 24, 2008, 7:36 PM
Post #33 of 36 (831 views)
Shortcut

Re: [chossmonkey] F*CK. Grivel super asymmetrical center bars- a long version? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

chossmonkey wrote:
Good thing you included a short version. I don't think anyone wants to read the long one.

Good thing you quoted the whole thing so people couple read the long version again.

chossmonkey

Oct 24, 2008, 7:51 PM
Post #34 of 36 (826 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

the_climber wrote:
chossmonkey wrote:
the_climber wrote:

Short version:
-Get the BD plates

Good thing you quoted the whole thing so people couple read the long version again.
I do what I can.

EvilMonkey

Oct 28, 2008, 12:41 PM
Post #35 of 36 (805 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

find out what kind of metal they use (probably spring steel), get some, and get metal fabricator (welder) to make em to your specs. it's more of a pain in the ass than just buying some 'pons that fit your big-ass hobbit feet, but it's your best bet.

sungam

Dec 20, 2008, 3:37 AM
Post #36 of 36 (739 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Here's a BIG shoutout to wmfork for helping me out with some common sense on this one.
I took off the springy thing, like he said, and used on of the provided bolts to hold the center bar in place. it gave me the extra inch and a half I needed, and now the poons fit GREAT.
Wooohooo! Pimped out poons and boots, bring on CO.
P.S. T_C... due to some funding miscalculations (Think monopoly's "bank error in your favor" style) I may have some left over cash when *may* be put aside, depending on ticket prices, to making an excursion further north. I really hope it comes to be.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Alpine & Ice

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook