RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Gear Heads

Premier Sponsor:

Yosemite1976

Nov 8, 2008, 4:16 PM
Post #1 of 17 (1557 views)
Shortcut

Metolius gear sling
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Ok so i got this new gear sling from Metolius that has all the multi loops to help keep your gear better organized, but I just cant get use to it . My first complaint is that the gear loops have this clear plastic tubing over them and it make's getting smaller biners like the BD Neutrinos are hard to get on and off easily . Has any out there had the same problem ?/ I was think about cutting that tubbing stuff off but I wasn"t sure if the webbing under it was sew or flat . Not sure if that would help or hinder .

Any suggestions .

rhythm164

Nov 8, 2008, 4:21 PM
Post #2 of 17 (1548 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Yosemite1976] Metolius gear sling [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I'll second that, I have one too that's been sitting in a rubbermade bin for the last 4 years - crappy gear sling. I thought about hacking off the loops altogether, but just ended up getting a nice BD sling instead

krosbakken

Nov 8, 2008, 4:50 PM
Post #3 of 17 (1529 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have one, and i love it. I have never had that problem but i could see how that could be annoying.

suilenroc

Nov 8, 2008, 5:01 PM
Post #4 of 17 (1519 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I purchased the Misty Mountain Gear Sling for two specific reasons...

1. Made in North Carolina by a bunch of cool-ass-cats.

2. It is simple in design.

I used to work at a gear shop that had one of those Metolius multi loop slings. Before owning one i always thought that was a good design... I am not surprised to hear of your complaint. By cutting off the plastic you might increase the effectiveness of it, give it a try. If you decide that it still sucks, I say GO MISTY!

Edit: spelling

(This post was edited by suilenroc on Nov 8, 2008, 5:02 PM)

Yosemite1976

Nov 8, 2008, 5:40 PM
Post #5 of 17 (1492 views)
Shortcut

Re: [suilenroc] Metolius gear sling [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Your right Misty Mnt has some good gear . I have one of there harrnes's But I gained some wight and cant wear it now .i picked up a BD Primrose and its not near as well built as the Misty Harrness was . Plus I luv keeping jobs in this country when i can support local companys I do .

The other issue with that Metolius gear sling is that it dose not move out of the way like other slings do . Mine has that secondary sling called a double D attachment.

suilenroc

Nov 8, 2008, 6:17 PM
Post #6 of 17 (1477 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I own the Misty Mountain Sonic harness, highlander pad, and of course the Gear sling... Good Stuff.

lagwagonpcp

Nov 8, 2008, 7:57 PM
Post #7 of 17 (1440 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i had a metolius safe tec harness with the same kind of loops they really got to be a pain in the ass. needless to say that harness is gone now. as far as a gear sling goes i have a really fancy one. its an old peice of webbing and i souped it up with a water knot. Crazy

gunkiemike

Nov 8, 2008, 9:08 PM
Post #8 of 17 (1400 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Solution = keylock biners

meahtots

Nov 9, 2008, 12:35 AM
Post #9 of 17 (1354 views)
Shortcut

Re: [rhythm164] Metolius gear sling [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

rhythm164 wrote:
I'll second that, I have one too that's been sitting in a rubbermade bin for the last 4 years - crappy gear sling. I thought about hacking off the loops altogether, but just ended up getting a nice BD sling instead

i'll take it

Partner rgold

Nov 9, 2008, 12:44 AM
Post #10 of 17 (1351 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Just to air another view, I've had the multiloop Metolius gear sling for several years, and I like it. I have no problem clipping and unclipping small notched biners, and I have a bunch that are smaller than Neutrinos. I find it much easier to find pieces when the everything isn't smushed together, and the fact that the gear doesn't all slide around to the back on overhangs is a distinct advantage.

I don't, however, use all four loops. I rack my gear on the middle two loops. While climbing I'll clip stuff I need to grab really fast to the first front loop, but I never do anything with the fourth back loop.

I can't figure out why the tubing is a problem, but if you cut it off I suspect you'll have more of a problem, 'cause the notches on those Neutrinos will hang up on the thin webbing.

coolcat83

Nov 9, 2008, 12:46 AM
Post #11 of 17 (1346 views)
Shortcut

Re: [meahtots] Metolius gear sling [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

i have one and like it. but i like having things separated and organized. also the way you face the gates matters, it may be easier to take off or put on things in way or the other for you.

rkepley_1

Nov 9, 2008, 12:51 AM
Post #12 of 17 (1341 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Any suggestions

Harden the f**k up!

flatlanderAB

Nov 9, 2008, 4:22 AM
Post #13 of 17 (1311 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I just bought the Metolius sling and I have the BD Neutrinos as well, I found that if you clip them with the gate facing away from your body they dont hang up on the loops. I always rack my gear this way and find it far more efficient.

Yosemite1976

Nov 9, 2008, 12:33 PM
Post #14 of 17 (1276 views)
Shortcut

Re: [rkepley_1] Metolius gear sling [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

rkepley_1 wrote:
In reply to:
Any suggestions

Harden the f**k up!

Sorry!! I am way to old to ( Harden up ) my better days are way behind me. Just tryin to EEK out a few more pitches before becoming an arm chair mountaineer .

Yosemite1976

Nov 9, 2008, 12:36 PM
Post #15 of 17 (1274 views)
Shortcut

Re: [flatlanderAB] Metolius gear sling [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

flatlanderAB wrote:
I just bought the Metolius sling and I have the BD Neutrinos as well, I found that if you clip them with the gate facing away from your body they dont hang up on the loops. I always rack my gear this way and find it far more efficient.

Good Idea ~ I will give that a try next climb . I also noticed that Wild Country makes a similar sling dose anyone know if it has that plastic tubing on the clip straps ???

billcoe_

Nov 10, 2008, 8:19 PM
Post #16 of 17 (1184 views)
Shortcut

Metolius gear sling [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Yosemite1976 wrote:
rkepley_1 wrote:
In reply to:
Any suggestions

Harden the f**k up!

Sorry!! I am way to old to ( Harden up ) my better days are way behind me. Just tryin to EEK out a few more pitches before becoming an arm chair mountaineer .

LOL! That should be my line:-)

How about picking up a Classic Chouinard fleece padded gear sling used on the net? Like you, I have one of those Metolius slings and don't like it at all. I have it currently in use in my basement hanging down, as a way to leave gear hanging and easy to grab off the rack before I head out. For that use, it's superb. It never goes on trips with me anymore though as I like to push the rack around, and this won't slide that way. I could see that on a long route it might be a good thing to keep stuff organized, but then there are the dual shoulder slings (both Metolius and Misty make versions of this) that work better and that carry the weight better. Bottom line, put the POS on Ebay and get $5 for it, or gift it to a beginning climber who would appreciate having just about anything:-) .

hansundfritz

Nov 10, 2008, 8:35 PM
Post #17 of 17 (1170 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I've just about given up on mine as well. It seems like it should work great, but the racking biners get pretty cramped in the loops. Almost better to sort through a whole sling-full. Also find the fourth loop to be almost useless.

I do not have problems clipping the biners -- but I use pretty big biners for racking -- BD Oval Wires.

Forums : Climbing Information : Gear Heads

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook