Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

kaoskorruption

Nov 22, 2008, 7:17 PM
Post #1 of 60 (2995 views)
Shortcut

Thinking About College
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hey, I'm trying to decide where I want to go to college. I want to go somewhere that has mountains and great climbing. Right now I'm thinking of either Boulder or Appalachian. I've heard that Boulder is a party school and a joke, and I know some people don't like it, but I also know this is probably a very one-sided view of someone he had a bad experience. I personally want a medium-sized school that is good academically and that is not a complete party school. Can anybody say what they think of the school? I havn't decided what I want to major in but I'm thinking either geology, architecture/environmental design, environmental science, or engineering. Can anybody recommend a nice school that I might like?

Thanks much!

Partner angry

Nov 22, 2008, 7:26 PM
Post #2 of 60 (2987 views)
Shortcut

Re: [kaoskorruption] Thinking About College [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

The University of Wyoming is strong in what programs you're looking at. Is only 10,000 students, not 20 or more. Is a 15 minute drive from legendary climbing that is always uncrowded, and is still within striking distance for much more eventful areas.

It is a windy and cold high plains town though. You'll see more skin in Boulder.

USnavy

Nov 22, 2008, 7:27 PM
Post #3 of 60 (2982 views)
Shortcut

Re: [angry] Thinking About College [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

There are tons of colleges not far from Red Rocks in Vegas. 2,000 multi-pitch, trad and sport routes. You can’t get much better then that.

(This post was edited by USnavy on Nov 22, 2008, 7:28 PM)

lordjim

Nov 22, 2008, 7:43 PM
Post #4 of 60 (2960 views)
Shortcut

Re: [USnavy] Thinking About College [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

The University of Kentucky is a decent option as well. The Red is about 45 minutes away and most of the eastern climbing scene is near enough for weekend trips.

castlewoodclimber

Nov 22, 2008, 9:12 PM
Post #5 of 60 (2911 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I go to Western State College in Gunnison, CO. We're 20 minutes away from Crested Butte and theres plenty of climbing within 30 minutes of the school. You should check it out its a pretty sweet school.

shockabuku

Nov 22, 2008, 10:04 PM
Post #6 of 60 (2886 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The University of Colorado at Boulder is a very well respected college but is pretty pricey, especially for an out of state student. Climbing and skiing there's plenty of at very short distances and also two (soon to be three) gyms in town. It is pretty much over run by yuppies with attitudes however.

superory

Nov 22, 2008, 10:28 PM
Post #7 of 60 (2875 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

im not sure about schools cuz i went to sdsu and that sounds like the exact opposite of what your looking for. As far as majors go i was/am an outdoor recreation major. i love every aspect of the major and im pretty sure that ive gotten credit for climbing/teaching climbing before so thats always a plus. the only downside is when i tell people what my major is they always ask me if i want to be a park ranger...

CSC0321

Nov 22, 2008, 11:03 PM
Post #8 of 60 (2851 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Take a look at Westminster College in SLC. Good private school, 1/10 teacher to student ratio. They also have a small climbing wall on-campus. A little pricey as well

nick13173

Nov 23, 2008, 12:08 AM
Post #9 of 60 (2816 views)
Shortcut

Re: [CSC0321] Thinking About College [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

You should check out the Colorado School of Mines. It has good engineering and geology programs and probably the best geophysics program in the country. Also you can pretty much bike to the crags and eldo and boulder are about 20 min away.

duncanlennon

Nov 23, 2008, 12:09 AM
Post #10 of 60 (2816 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

kaoskorruption wrote:
Right now I'm thinking of either Boulder or Appalachian

The OP narrowed it down here. I considered the same two schools and some of the same programs. They seemed about equal academically. You have to ask yourself, though, "do I want Boone or Boulder?" If you can figure out the answer to that question (not hard for me, though I didn't end up at either), then you've got yourself a university. In retrospect, I should have gone to UNH.

Alphaboth

Nov 23, 2008, 12:41 AM
Post #11 of 60 (2793 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Come up to Plattsburgh, NY and climb in the adirondacks you can literally major in rock climbing if you want as well.

shockabuku

Nov 23, 2008, 12:44 AM
Post #12 of 60 (2789 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Yeah, Colorado School of Mines is probably a good consideration. Closer to the skiing than Boulder, as close to as good climbing, gym may be a little far.

marebear

Nov 23, 2008, 1:42 AM
Post #13 of 60 (2764 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Montana State University. There are around 11,000 students, great engineering program, and world class ice climbing minutes away from town. There are lots of sport, trad, and bouldering areas within a short drive. If you are into winter sports, there are 3 ski areas nearby as well. Bridger Bowl is 16 miles outside of town and Big Sky and Moonlight Basin are about an hour away.

Edited to add: Of the 2 colleges you listed, I would most definitely go with UC Boulder. Just because it's a party school doesn't mean you have to party.

(This post was edited by marebear on Nov 23, 2008, 1:53 AM)

ahimsa

Nov 23, 2008, 2:25 AM
Post #14 of 60 (2749 views)
Shortcut

Re: [marebear] Thinking About College [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Some one mentioned they should have gone to UNH and i would agree. Im there right now and it's awesome. A university recognized climbing team that trains 3 times a week and competes every weekend if thats what you're into. Pawtuckaway is 30 minutes away for world class boulder burns after class or whenever, and even has enough trad and TR routes to occupy me for a random day off. World class trad can be had in North Conway at 2 hours away. More Trad in Acadia at 5 hours away. Gunks about 5, Rumney is 2 hours away and people often make day trips there, Cannon and other Franconia area climbs are 2 30 away. Ica at all of these areas with good alpine and mountaineering on Cannon and Mt. Washington.
For academics, UNH is a Land, Space, and Sea grant school which makes our engineering program top notch. I think we're one of 7 schools in the nation at that level if my memory serves me correctly. Im in the Enviromental programs my self and the professors and the schools commitment to the environment are mind blowing.
For partying, we dropped from the number 7 school in the nation to the number 11, so were still pretty big, but i i don't party and find plenty to occupy my self.
PM me if you want anymore, and sorry for the length

Goo

Nov 23, 2008, 4:06 AM
Post #15 of 60 (2713 views)
Shortcut

Re: [shockabuku] Thinking About College [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

shockabuku wrote:
The University of Colorado at Boulder is a very well respected college but is pretty pricey, especially for an out of state student. Climbing and skiing there's plenty of at very short distances and also two (soon to be three) gyms in town. It is pretty much over run by yuppies with attitudes however.

Pricey is right! I applied to and got accepted to CU Boulder, but it is RIDICULOUSLY expensive, especially for out of state!

I also got accepted to Western State College of Colorado, but ended up going to a small school in Northwest Montana for a year. But it would have been so sweet to live near Crested Butte, that is a sweet town, I mountain bike bummed my way through there this summer.

marebear wrote:
Montana State University. There are around 11,000 students, great engineering program, and world class ice climbing minutes away from town. There are lots of sport, trad, and bouldering areas within a short drive. If you are into winter sports, there are 3 ski areas nearby as well. Bridger Bowl is 16 miles outside of town and Big Sky and Moonlight Basin are about an hour away.

Edited to add: Of the 2 colleges you listed, I would most definitely go with UC Boulder. Just because it's a party school doesn't mean you have to party.

I am going to be going to Montana State in Bozeman, hopefully starting next fall or spring semester, for many of the reasons listed there. Montana is where it is at. Plus, Montana State is a good school.

PS I'm originally from Wisconsin.

(This post was edited by Goo on Nov 23, 2008, 4:07 AM)

meahtots

Nov 23, 2008, 4:29 AM
Post #16 of 60 (2696 views)
Shortcut

Re: [marebear] Thinking About College [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

BOO!!
go to missoula!

rtwilli4

Nov 23, 2008, 4:38 AM
Post #17 of 60 (2689 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

kaoskorruption wrote:
Hey, I'm trying to decide where I want to go to college. I want to go somewhere that has mountains and great climbing. Right now I'm thinking of either Boulder or Appalachian. I've heard that Boulder is a party school and a joke, and I know some people don't like it, but I also know this is probably a very one-sided view of someone he had a bad experience. I personally want a medium-sized school that is good academically and that is not a complete party school. Can anybody say what they think of the school? I havn't decided what I want to major in but I'm thinking either geology, architecture/environmental design, environmental science, or engineering. Can anybody recommend a nice school that I might like?

Thanks much!

There have been a lot of good schools mentioned and a lot more that I can't really comment on either way because I don't know much about them. What I can tell you is that Boone is a great place to live and go to school and is NOTHING LIKE BOULDER! In Boone you are not going to run into too many people who are taking themselves too seriously, and you don't get a label slapped on you like you do in Boulder. You are close to Ship Rock and Linville Gorge, there is lots of sick bouldering and a great climbing community. You're five hors from The Red, and not much farther from The New, not to mention a dozen other great areas in NC. The climbing in NC is great and not nearly as crowded as other popular places around the country.

I've spent most of my life in NC and if I decide to settle in the US it will certainly be in NC. I have lived and worked in 3 different states and 3 different countries and traveled all over the world and Western NC is one of the most laid back and comforting places on the planet.

Having said that... with all of the great schools in NC, App State kind of gets pushed to the side when it comes to recognition (when you are trying to get a job). It doesn't have the best rep.

If you are going to be competing for jobs in NC after you graduate, you will be competing with people from UNC, NC State, DUKE, and Wake Forest. ALL of those schools get the nod in most programs that are offered at App. State. There are also dozens of private universities in NC that put out attractive job candidates. In ALL of the fields you mentioned, a graduate from NC State OR Duke (and probably Carolina) would get the job over a graduate from App State. Not to say you'll be wasting your money... NC schools are ALL good.

Basically, what I am saying is that you can get a great education no matter where you go in NC, and it is a great, cheap place to live and work. For that reason, the job market is very competitive here and graduating from App State may put you at a small disadvantage.

I lived in CO for a year and spent some time in Boulder and didn't like it. I can't say much for the school but too many people in Boulder just can't believe that there is life outside of Boulder. I didn't like the pretentious attitude of many of the people I met. I've never met anyone in Boone I didn't like. No one really takes themselves to seriously in Boone, or anywhere in NC. It's just a chill, slow moving, nice place to live. You can't walk down the street without getting a smile, wave, and maybe a conversation.

The women in Colorado (or anywhere except for maybe Cambodia) don't hold a candle to the women in NC. Carolina girls... best in the world.

App State football, 3 time Div I AA National Champs.

OK, one more thing... THE FOOD IN NC IS THE BEST!!! People in Colorado have no taste buds!!!

PS I graduated from NC STATE, NOT App State.

(This post was edited by rtwilli4 on Nov 23, 2008, 4:41 AM)

dilbar

Nov 23, 2008, 4:39 AM
Post #18 of 60 (2686 views)
Shortcut

Re: [meahtots] Thinking About College [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

YEAH MISSOULA ALL THE WAY! sweet climbing and decent skiing all super close. a good geo program and one of the best environmental studies programs anywhere.

rtwilli4

Nov 23, 2008, 4:40 AM
Post #19 of 60 (2685 views)
Shortcut

Re: [rtwilli4] Thinking About College [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I guess what I was trying to say is that Boulder is expensive and full of douches.

Boone is cheep, fun, and full of awesome people and hot women with southern hospitality and southern food.

Climbing here is better too :)

doons

Nov 23, 2008, 5:12 AM
Post #20 of 60 (2672 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If you want good climbing and good academics: CU Boulder is #1: more climbing than anywhere in the country and a great school academically where you can find a good program for whatever you want to study, but you will pay an ass load. If colorado is your hearts desire, look at a few schools in colorado springs: CU-colorado springs (fastest growing school in CO and lots of good programs--esp. engineering and anything environment related) and Colorado College (small liberal arts school. 500 or so routes w/in an hours drive, great weather. university of utah is another option--tons of climbing near SLC. Appstate rocks (went there my freshy year) and so does the climbing in western NC. pretty much any university of california school will be excellently academically and close to tons of climbing--UC Riverside and UCLA (joshua tree), UC-davis/Berkeley/Stanford (yosemite). also univ. of Washington (seattle) offers tons of nearby climbing and the cascades!

LineoFire

Nov 23, 2008, 5:47 AM
Post #21 of 60 (2659 views)
Shortcut

Re: [doons] Thinking About College [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

boone is where its at...i just graduated last december and still find myself spending alot of time in the area. there is a stellar mix of great bouldering within 30 mins drive of campus, awsome trad lines, and some quality sport if you seek it out. echoing those before me, the community of climbers is great and people are always psyched to get out. and speaking academically App State has become the second hardest (public) school in the state to get into behind UNC so the notoriety is on the ups. you wont regret time spent here in the south so think it over.

curt

Nov 23, 2008, 6:05 AM
Post #22 of 60 (2649 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

kaoskorruption wrote:

Thanks much!

Also take a hard look at the South Dakota School of Mines in Rapid City, SD. They have an excellent engineering school and you will be near the SD Needles, Rushmore, Spearfish Canyon, Devil's Tower and a whole lot more.

Curt

Goo

Nov 23, 2008, 6:31 AM
Post #23 of 60 (2636 views)
Shortcut

Re: [rtwilli4] Thinking About College [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

rtwilli4 wrote:
The women in Colorado (or anywhere except for maybe Cambodia) don't hold a candle to the women in NC. Carolina girls... best in the world.
Or those Georgia peaches Wink

dilbar wrote:
YEAH MISSOULA ALL THE WAY! sweet climbing and decent skiing all super close. a good geo program and one of the best environmental studies programs anywhere.
There's the problem right there... the skiing is only decent. And if you are in freaking montana, why should you have to settle for decent skiing? Go to bozeman and get some of the best skiing anywhere! Or go to flathead for your first 2 years and ski The Big... yeh!

(This post was edited by Goo on Nov 23, 2008, 6:32 AM)

emick27

Nov 23, 2008, 6:48 AM
Post #24 of 60 (2623 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dilbar] Thinking About College [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

dilbar knows where it's at yo! haha no seriously i looked at missoula and bozeman very closely. i also used to live in bozo. im majoring in geology with a minor in mountain geography. i chose U of M missoula because in my opinion it has a better geoscience department vs. montana state in bozeman. i don't know about skiing all that much but climbing near missoula is awesome! also university of wyoming is probably my second choice of school especially looking at there geology program and climbing near by!

dilbar

Nov 23, 2008, 6:53 AM
Post #25 of 60 (2620 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Goo] Thinking About College [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Goo wrote:
rtwilli4 wrote:
Or those Georgia peaches Wink

dilbar wrote:
There's the problem right there... the skiing is only decent. And if you are in freaking montana, why should you have to settle for decent skiing? Go to bozeman and get some of the best skiing anywhere! Or go to flathead for your first 2 years and ski The Big... yeh!

Oh, I'm sorry, you must be one of those poor sonofabitches that buys lift tickets. Backcountry much?

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook