Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

the_alpine

Nov 30, 2008, 12:24 AM
Post #26 of 31 (1110 views)
Shortcut

Re: [cracklover] Indian Creek pic [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Your composition works fine, the issues are created from missing a few basics. You shot a climber in mid-day light wearing clothing the same color as the rock. The climber is shaded and so is the cliff in the background - not appealing to the eye.

Wait longer or show up earlier to get that good light, and make your subject wear something bright.

Partner cracklover

Nov 30, 2008, 10:41 PM
Post #27 of 31 (1095 views)
Shortcut

Re: [the_alpine] Indian Creek pic [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

the_alpine wrote:
Your composition works fine, the issues are created from missing a few basics. You shot a climber in mid-day light wearing clothing the same color as the rock. The climber is shaded and so is the cliff in the background - not appealing to the eye.

Wait longer or show up earlier to get that good light, and make your subject wear something bright.

This any better? Or worse? Or doesn't really make any difference?

GO

altelis

Nov 30, 2008, 10:53 PM
Post #28 of 31 (1093 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i would say worse for 1 reason: the top-rope is now clearly visible!

this is a problem for me NOT because i dogmatically don't like top-rope shots.

rather i don't like it because the rope clearly slices across the sky and is very distracting!

Partner cracklover

Dec 1, 2008, 5:18 AM
Post #29 of 31 (1081 views)
Shortcut

Re: [altelis] Indian Creek pic [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

altelis wrote:
i would say worse for 1 reason: the top-rope is now clearly visible!

this is a problem for me NOT because i dogmatically don't like top-rope shots.

rather i don't like it because the rope clearly slices across the sky and is very distracting!

Oh, yeah, I mean aside from that. I removed it in the original pic, but didn't see the point in removing it from this one, since I just made this one for the purposes of discussion.

GO

wes_allen

Dec 1, 2008, 8:36 PM
Post #30 of 31 (1065 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Why try to make the photo into something it's not? It is a nice snapshot of a cool route during a great trip. Nice memories for everyone. Unless you go out with the intent to take the time to really setup the shot, wait for the right times, set up strobes, etc, just let it be. I have a bunch of photos that aren't great - technically or artistically, but I keep them for the memories, not to try to photoshop them into something the is worthy of being published.

My Chinese friend use to say "If a pig goes to peiking, it is still a pig." Next time, make a choice - do I want to spend the time to set up something really good, or am I ok with just a nice photo for the memories.

Partner cracklover

Dec 1, 2008, 11:10 PM
Post #31 of 31 (1045 views)
Shortcut

Re: [wes_allen] Indian Creek pic [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

wes_allen wrote:
Why try to make the photo into something it's not? It is a nice snapshot of a cool route during a great trip. Nice memories for everyone. Unless you go out with the intent to take the time to really setup the shot, wait for the right times, set up strobes, etc, just let it be. I have a bunch of photos that aren't great - technically or artistically, but I keep them for the memories, not to try to photoshop them into something the is worthy of being published.

My Chinese friend use to say "If a pig goes to peiking, it is still a pig." Next time, make a choice - do I want to spend the time to set up something really good, or am I ok with just a nice photo for the memories.

I appreciate where you're coming from, Wes, but you're misinterpreting my goals.

Basically, I came at this looking for criticism as to *why* this wasn't a great pic. In other words, I wanted to train my eye. I got that criticism, and while some of it focussed on what was in front of the camera (time of day, orientation of the shot, etc), other parts of the criticism focussed on post-shot work. I can't do anything to change the first, but I thought I could perhaps see if I'd learned anything by doing some of the second, and see if it improved the shot, or made it worse.

I'm just looking for useful criticism, and think this pic might be a good means to that end.

GO

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Climbing Photography

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook