Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Quasi

Jan 1, 2009, 11:31 PM
Post #1 of 36 (9324 views)
Shortcut

Military vs. Civilian Climbing
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I know there are difference between how military and civilians are taught sports, such as SCUBA, the military is much more intensive and they play by different rules, decompression, air mixtures and their overall performance underwater differs.

I was wondering, do military courses for rock climbing differ from the civilian courses? Or are they exactly the same holds, equipment and moves civilians use?

(I ask because I am looking at the military and wonder if learning the techniques as a civilian will differ if I get into such a course in the military.)

Partner epoch

Jan 1, 2009, 11:57 PM
Post #2 of 36 (9293 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Quasi] Military vs. Civilian Climbing [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

The fundamentals that one would learn in one of the various military mountaineering schools are basically the same as you would learn in the real world.

For recreational rock climbers, it is just that: Recreation. We follow guidelines and basic rules to keep us safe. Training for and pushing the grades are something that we all aspire to do.

Military mountaineering is a professional objective where movement of the climbers is to establish routes up a precipice for a unit to move. SOF units may usre more mountaineering and rock climbing than regular units, but it depends on what you do.

Civilian experience can be had at your own pace, whereas military schools are geared towards pass/fail at their pace.

I know plenty of people who started climbing and mountaineering in the military and it's difficult to say whether or not prior experience would help or hinder.

caliclimbergrl

Jan 1, 2009, 11:58 PM
Post #3 of 36 (9292 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I probably shouldn't reply to this since I know absolutely nothing about the military. But to take a wild shot in the dark, I would guess they might put more emphasis on getting to the top and maybe on speed than on form. So they may employ less ethics when it comes to things like pulling on gear, etc. But as far as safety and how to use gear, it would probably be a good place to learn. Hopefully someone who knows more about military training will be able to give you a more accurate response.

dr_feelgood

Jan 1, 2009, 11:59 PM
Post #4 of 36 (9290 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Quasi wrote:
I know there are difference between how military and civilians are taught sports, such as SCUBA, the military is much more intensive and they play by different rules, decompression, air mixtures and their overall performance underwater differs.

I was wondering, do military courses for rock climbing differ from the civilian courses? Or are they exactly the same holds, equipment and moves civilians use?

(I ask because I am looking at the military and wonder if learning the techniques as a civilian will differ if I get into such a course in the military.)

I'll bite.
If you join the military, the chance that you will get to do any actual climbing in the course of your career related to your job description is slim to none. I'm in a "mountain" unit in the national guard right now, and we don't have any mountaineering equipment whatsoever. If you plan on climbing with any sort of regularity, don't join. Certainly do not join to climb as a job.

clc

Jan 2, 2009, 1:00 AM
Post #5 of 36 (9238 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dr_feelgood] Military vs. Civilian Climbing [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I know a few guys in the Canadian military (yes we have a little one). If you are part of SAR tech you get to climb, and even go on paid ice climbing trips in the rockies and ski trips.

coastal_climber

Jan 2, 2009, 1:16 AM
Post #6 of 36 (9221 views)
Shortcut

Re: [clc] Military vs. Civilian Climbing [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

clc wrote:
I know a few guys in the Canadian military (yes we have a little one). If you are part of SAR tech you get to climb, and even go on paid ice climbing trips in the rockies and ski trips.

I heard CFB Comox ordered everyone double plastics from Valhalla, lucky guys.

USnavy

Jan 2, 2009, 1:28 AM
Post #7 of 36 (9198 views)
Shortcut

Re: [coastal_climber] Military vs. Civilian Climbing [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

I am in the Navy and the company I work for does military training. The only rating that we teach is the Navy SEAL rating. They only get a small amount of training related to climbing from us. There is virtually no chance that you will have to do any climbing as part of your career in the Navy. I can’t comment on other branches but I would guess it’s likely you won’t climb in other branches as well.

vinnie83

Jan 2, 2009, 2:24 AM
Post #8 of 36 (9152 views)
Shortcut

Re: [USnavy] Military vs. Civilian Climbing [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm in the air force and work in pararescue. When we get to go out "climbing" its always to practice high angle rescue which usually involves hiking or scrambling to the top of a cliff and then setting up a system to do a pick off or on an occasional(maybe every other year) snow and ice trip which involves a little bit of backcountry skiing, avalanche training, crevasse rescue, and some ice climbing. At my unit there is myself and one other guy who have a significant amount climbing experience outside of high angle rescue and we learned most of what we know outside of work. I think the only places in the military where you would be able to actually climb for work on an occasional basis would be at either the army or marine mountain warfare schools(I haven't been to either of these, just talked to people who have) or the PJ team up in alaska.

Just remember, no matter how cool or fun you think a certain activity is the military will find some way to take the fun out of it. However, getting to work outside still beats sitting behind a desk all day.

davidwebb1969

Jan 2, 2009, 3:02 AM
Post #9 of 36 (9123 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I am ex Australian Army, I spent some time in the Army and it was not for quite a while that I actually got to do a military climbing related course. In the Australian Army the biggest differences are the redundancy in the systems you use and the methods that you are taught. I climbed on weekends when I was in the Army and it helped me to an extent BUT there was a lot of differences in the process's.

At the end of the day the systems were the same but instead of using a single locking biner as an example you used two, where you could you use a clipgate you could not use one you had to use a locker.

In the Australian Army the best thing was they only used the best equipment, the gear you dreamed of they had that was too expensive for you to buy.

kane_schutzman

Jan 2, 2009, 4:57 AM
Post #10 of 36 (9065 views)
Shortcut

Re: [davidwebb1969] Military vs. Civilian Climbing [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Yo man, would you mind pm'ing me on the program your wanting go into.

rockie

Jan 2, 2009, 2:11 PM
Post #11 of 36 (8984 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Quasi wrote:

Scuba training in the British Forces was no different to civilian training if it is sport diving you were interested in. I trained while in the forces myself. They'd only let you train with BSAC, as it's world safety renowned.

From a career focus that would be the Navy and be more specialized for sure.

http://www.royalnavy.mod.uk/server/show/nav.3102

Edit to add: And rock climbing training with our forces is no different, it's focus comes from the BMC. One of our forces groups is RAFMA:

http://www.raf.mod.uk/rafmountaineering/

(This post was edited by rockie on Jan 2, 2009, 2:14 PM)

crw5074

Jan 2, 2009, 2:37 PM
Post #12 of 36 (8961 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I served in the U.S. Marines as an infantryman, and was first exposed to rock climbing in a mountain warfare course in the Sierra Nevada mountains. The equipment used was not as nice as most recreational climbers use, as we climbed in our desert boots, used the munter for belaying, and wore Swiss seats fastened from webbing. We carried our rifles and packs on our backs, making most of the climbing, which was likely 5.2, harder. We also climbed at night, with no lights, which remains one of my fondest climbing memories.

(This post was edited by crw5074 on Jan 2, 2009, 2:38 PM)

dingus

Jan 2, 2009, 2:45 PM
Post #13 of 36 (8951 views)
Shortcut

Re: [crw5074] Military vs. Civilian Climbing [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

crw5074 wrote:
I served in the U.S. Marines as an infantryman, and was first exposed to rock climbing in a mountain warfare course in the Sierra Nevada mountains. The equipment used was not as nice as most recreational climbers use, as we climbed in our desert boots, used the munter for belaying, and wore Swiss seats fastened from webbing. We carried our rifles and packs on our backs, making most of the climbing, which was likely 5.2, harder. We also climbed at night, with no lights, which remains one of my fondest climbing memories.

Here you go:

http://www.youtube.com/...ynext=1&index=71

I've climbed on those rocks of Leavitt Meadows too - with civilian gear. The rock is STILL snot slick metamorphic (with good granite right up the road too) and those grunts learn that shit in combat boots.

One of my occasional Sonora Pass climbing mates is an ex-Recon and took his mountain warfare training there too. He's one tough hombre, quietly opening new big wall routes in the back country, mid-winter.... SOLO.

They make Marines TOUGH.
DMT

crankmas

Jan 2, 2009, 3:03 PM
Post #14 of 36 (8936 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I was in the Navy for two weeks and we didn't climb anything but the walls of our souls- get a van and take a long climbing vacation and decide if you can live without climbing before you commit to the military (see previous posts) no one can decide but you. the rewards of a military stint may offset a few years being unable to climb consistently but remember you do get time off and bayonet training.

Maddhatter

Jan 2, 2009, 7:25 PM
Post #15 of 36 (8861 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

crw5074 wrote:

They bring groups of Marines from 29 palms up to Indian cove all the time to teach them how to lead climb. 5.7 and 5.8 trad in there boots no less.

(This post was edited by Maddhatter on Jan 2, 2009, 7:26 PM)

binrat

Jan 3, 2009, 1:53 AM
Post #16 of 36 (8722 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Maddhatter] Military vs. Civilian Climbing [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm in the Cdn Forces and after almost 20 years I started to climb as part of my job. Now I climb about 10-15 times a year for work. Nothing fancy mostly Ontario Slime stone choss.

binrat

majid_sabet

Jan 3, 2009, 5:11 AM
Post #17 of 36 (8641 views)
Shortcut

Re: [binrat] Military vs. Civilian Climbing [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Only the best of the best will survive and exit out of Tora Bora

jt512

Jan 3, 2009, 6:31 AM
Post #18 of 36 (8599 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Maddhatter wrote:
crw5074 wrote:

They bring groups of Marines from 29 palms up to Indian cove all the time to teach them how to lead climb. 5.7 and 5.8 trad in there boots no less.

Do they teach them how to spell "their"?

Jay

(This post was edited by jt512 on Jan 3, 2009, 6:32 AM)

spikeddem

Jan 3, 2009, 9:34 AM
Post #19 of 36 (8557 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jt512] Military vs. Civilian Climbing [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

jt512 wrote:
Maddhatter wrote:
crw5074 wrote:

Jay

1 down, the sum internet users minus one to go. Fight the good fight Jay.

(This post was edited by spikeddem on Jan 3, 2009, 9:35 AM)

rockie

Jan 3, 2009, 10:04 AM
Post #20 of 36 (8548 views)
Shortcut

Re: [binrat] Military vs. Civilian Climbing [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

binrat wrote:
I'm in the Cdn Forces and after almost 20 years I started to climb as part of my job. Now I climb about 10-15 times a year for work. Nothing fancy mostly Ontario Slime stone choss.

binrat

Sounds like a Royal Engineer working from the lodge I stayed at, not climbing related but sports related all the same. I knew him while in Bavaria on a tri services Silver Ski instructor course I completed there. In that role though he was a paragliding instructor for a good 3 yrs at least, nice job. Sport was plentiful, and was always encouraged in our forces, a huge list of sports opportunities you could apply for and were facilitated to do, also classed as duty so mostly it was paid for, when we did pay it was not much.
Humour is certainly rife in our forces too, it's all part of it, especially the RAF, just not during initial training when you initially join up.

dingus

Jan 3, 2009, 11:41 AM
Post #21 of 36 (8541 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

jt512 wrote:
Maddhatter wrote:
crw5074 wrote:

Jay

No. That assumes the drill sargents know better. They don't.

Howevcer, spelling flames are even more off topic in the Marines then they are here!

Its not smart to spell flame someone standing there with a bad attitude and a loaded M16.

No sir, not smart atall.

"He told me I spelt thier wrond Sir. So I shot him."

"Oh, OK private, I understand. Now back to your duty station, but clean up this mess first!"

No you don't flame active duty marines for spelling.

DMT

DMT

Maddhatter

Jan 3, 2009, 5:08 PM
Post #22 of 36 (8406 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

jt512 wrote:
Maddhatter wrote:
crw5074 wrote:

Jay

Sorry Sensay, I will thy harder. Blush

jmvc

Jan 3, 2009, 5:44 PM
Post #23 of 36 (8387 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Maddhatter wrote:
jt512 wrote:
Maddhatter wrote:
crw5074 wrote:

Jay

That has got to be a joke.. or two.

Edit: or three.

(This post was edited by jmvc on Jan 3, 2009, 5:45 PM)

kane_schutzman

Jan 3, 2009, 6:10 PM
Post #24 of 36 (8374 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Maddhatter wrote:
jt512 wrote:
Maddhatter wrote:
crw5074 wrote:

Jay

No no, you tell that guy to go fuck himself

Maddhatter

Jan 3, 2009, 6:12 PM
Post #25 of 36 (8371 views)
Shortcut

Re: [kane_schutzman] Military vs. Civilian Climbing [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

kane_schutzman wrote:
Maddhatter wrote:
jt512 wrote:
Maddhatter wrote:
crw5074 wrote:

Jay

No no, you tell that guy to go fuck himself

Fear not I have. He's still right this whole "your" and "there" thing is pretty dam simple and I should have it down by now. Blush

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Beginners

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook