Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
Gear for Red Rocks
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

kachoong

Jan 20, 2009, 1:48 PM
Post #1 of 3 (1037 views)
Shortcut

Gear for Red Rocks  (North_America: United_States: Nevada: Red_Rock_Canyon)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

We're planning a Red Rocks trip and are flying. Having never been there before and knowing that Red Rocks has plenty of classic trad routes (as well as sport), I was wondering if I could get by with a small rack to cut down on weight? I'd like to take adequate trad gear but nothing too large and enough to get some classics done. Also, is it possible to get by with a single 60 meter rope or will we need an extra for rapping? Thanks in advance!

nthusiastj

Jan 20, 2009, 2:18 PM
Post #2 of 3 (1022 views)
Shortcut

Re: [kachoong] Gear for Red Rocks [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

A standard light rack (depending on your climbing level) will be fine. A lot of the classics there have a few bolts on a pitch and the anchors are usually bolted. So you can save on gear there.

As for the raps, it really depends on the route. A lot of the routes you need doubles to rap the route. However, on those same routes if you commit to going all the way to the top, you can walk off.
The walk off are sometimes crappy, and the upper (read easy, crappy) pitches may take away from the classic aspect. That's why most people rap.

It REALLY depends on what you want to do.
There are TONS of classic single pitch trad crags that you only need one rope for.

kachoong

Jan 20, 2009, 2:24 PM
Post #3 of 3 (1016 views)
Shortcut

Re: [nthusiastj] Gear for Red Rocks [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

nthusiastj wrote:
A standard light rack (depending on your climbing level) will be fine. A lot of the classics there have a few bolts on a pitch and the anchors are usually bolted. So you can save on gear there.

As for the raps, it really depends on the route. A lot of the routes you need doubles to rap the route. However, on those same routes if you commit to going all the way to the top, you can walk off.
The walk off are sometimes crappy, and the upper (read easy, crappy) pitches may take away from the classic aspect. That's why most people rap.

It REALLY depends on what you want to do.
There are TONS of classic single pitch trad crags that you only need one rope for.

Thanks for the heads up and the tips!

I should be getting the guide book this week and can look more carefully at what's there. I'd really love to only have to bring one rope, but I've heard so much about the long classics that Red Rocks is famous for. I'm sure though, with only about 4-5 actual climbing days we should find enough to do that would warrant only bringing one rope. We could leave the longer routes for our next visit.... when we can drive rather than fly.

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook