RSS FeedRSS Feeds for The Ladies' Room

Premier Sponsor:

gblauer

Apr 8, 2009, 9:14 PM
Post #1 of 12 (8318 views)
Shortcut

menopause and belly fat
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Like Horse and carriage
and soup and sandwich

Destined to be together forever?

Any thoughts on how to banish the pairing?

granite_grrl

Apr 8, 2009, 9:18 PM
Post #2 of 12 (8311 views)
Shortcut

Re: [gblauer] menopause and belly fat [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Shit! Is that what I have to look forward to? I can't get rid of the belly fat that I have now!

aerili

Apr 9, 2009, 5:56 AM
Post #3 of 12 (8272 views)
Shortcut

Re: [gblauer] menopause and belly fat [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Unfortunately, it's true. Post-menopausal women start storing more fat in their abdomens like men, aka android obesity pattern.

Sucks. My experience training menopausal women is that the hormone changes (and the synthetic hormones they may also be taking for replacement) make weight gain happen easier and everything is harder to budge, esp. in that middle.

Every person is different of course and certainly I've had menopausal women lose 20+ lbs regardless of these things, but how women like Nicollette Sheridan and Madonna exist, I don't know.

I don't think there's any "secret" method, other than your standard science about burning more calories than you consume.

A certain level of acceptance about things which may not be totally revocable may be in order. Sorry.

Partner macherry

Apr 9, 2009, 2:35 PM
Post #4 of 12 (8247 views)
Shortcut

Re: [aerili] menopause and belly fat [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

considering i'll be there in the next 5+ years, i've been thinking about this.

i hope there is some heredity factors, my mom gave me good genes and she did not carry much belly fat through her menopausal years.

i think exercise and diet will make some difference. my buddy danielle is in her late fifties and she is in amazing shape. she still climbs hard, mountain bikes and ski tours. she eats very well...no fast or junk food. no belly fat on this woman. booze is not your friend.

clee03m

Apr 10, 2009, 2:38 PM
Post #5 of 12 (8181 views)
Shortcut

Re: [granite_grrl] menopause and belly fat [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

granite_grrl wrote:
Shit! Is that what I have to look forward to? I can't get rid of the belly fat that I have now!

My thoughts exactly. If I gain a pound, it goes straight to my belly. If I lose a pound, the weight redistributes from my boobs to my belly. In the words of my thoughtful climbing partner in response to my saying that I am trying to lose weight:

"Yeah, I think it's working. You had a little belly, but I think it's going away now."

Shocked

There is a lady at the gym who is around menopausal age (or possibly past it), and I can vouch that she does not have an ounce of fat on her body. She is HOT. Her body looks like it belongs to a 20 year old. While I don't know her secret, at least it's possible. Hope this helps.

acacongua

Apr 13, 2009, 2:18 PM
Post #6 of 12 (8112 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Aerili - Have any of these women used natural hormones such as Emerita (which is the only one I know clinically tested and well favored by women)? I'm wondering if that alleviates the weight issue.

obsessed

Apr 13, 2009, 5:33 PM
Post #7 of 12 (8104 views)
Shortcut

Re: [macherry] menopause and belly fat [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

macherry wrote:
considering i'll be there in the next 5+ years, i've been thinking about this.

i hope there is some heredity factors, my mom gave me good genes and she did not carry much belly fat through her menopausal years.

i think exercise and diet will make some difference. my buddy danielle is in her late fifties and she is in amazing shape. she still climbs hard, mountain bikes and ski tours. she eats very well...no fast or junk food. no belly fat on this woman. booze is not your friend.

This is so true. Doesn't matter how healthy I eat, when I drink beer in the summer it just packs on the belly.

gblauer

Apr 13, 2009, 8:05 PM
Post #8 of 12 (8086 views)
Shortcut

Re: [acacongua] menopause and belly fat [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

acacongua wrote:
Aerili - Have any of these women used natural hormones such as Emerita (which is the only one I know clinically tested and well favored by women)? I'm wondering if that alleviates the weight issue.

Interestingly, for me, it's not extra poundage, I am not gaining weight. It's the redistribution of weight from other parts of my body to my belly. Ergh...

aerili

Apr 15, 2009, 1:42 AM
Post #9 of 12 (8018 views)
Shortcut

Re: [acacongua] menopause and belly fat [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

acacongua wrote:

I don't know. My memory isn't that good.

Then again, I can't say for sure that replacement hormones cause weight gain. Some women (including my mom) seemed to feel they did regardless of their eating and exercising habits, but if you don't really control for those things, it's hard to know for sure statistically speaking. Maybe there is research on this but I haven't looked.

The other thing I want to be clear on is that replacement hormones are not the reason women start storing more fat in the mid-section in particular than they did before. It's just menopause itself that seems to shift the pattern of preferred fat storage.

olive

Apr 22, 2009, 7:17 PM
Post #10 of 12 (7938 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

This is scary. I naturally deposit all my fat in my belly anyway - and I have no good genes - everyone in my family develops a belly when they are older. argh. I am hoping the active life-style and healthy eating will help, however, it might also be healthy to accept that not everything is under my control.

Ps: on a related note, it is crazy but I seem to put weight on my belly and waist - out of nowhere - when I am stressed and unhappy. And no I dont eat more, or at least not significantly more. This happened more than once in my life, I am assuming it is somehow hormone related too. Anyone experience anything like this?

lhwang

Apr 22, 2009, 11:37 PM
Post #11 of 12 (7920 views)
Shortcut

Re: [olive] menopause and belly fat [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

It's probably related to cortisol.

xgretax

Apr 24, 2009, 11:26 PM
Post #12 of 12 (7865 views)
Shortcut

Re: [olive] menopause and belly fat [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I agree with lhwang. could be a cortisol issue as well as other hormonal issues associated with adrenal/thyroid glands. i have personal experience dealing with this among other related things. PM me if you'd like more info.

(This post was edited by xgretax on Apr 24, 2009, 11:27 PM)

Forums : Community : The Ladies' Room

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook