Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
Camping
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

fatal3rr

Apr 22, 2009, 3:01 PM
Post #1 of 10 (4132 views)
Shortcut

Camping  (North_America: United_States: Pennsylvania: Northwestern_Region: McConnels_Mills)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Alright so I'm heading up for the weekend and want to camp. I refuse to pay 50 some odd dollars for our group to have a spot to camp. I dont need a swimming pool or free fishing or a movie rental store that sells firewood and snacks. I need some woods, thats all. I know camping in the park isnt allowed but does anyone know any places or even just private property that someone might not mind a small group camping on. Also, does anyone know what the fine for camping in the park is? I may just risk that.

NDKalltheway

Apr 22, 2009, 3:30 PM
Post #2 of 10 (4114 views)
Shortcut

Re: [fatal3rr] Camping [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

All I know about McConnells mills is that I've been there probably 60 times and I've yet to see a park ranger other than one driving by. The park rangers have to patrol all of Moraine state park and McConnells mills. So I'm sure if there was a real small group quietly sitting up in the woods somewhere without a fire they wouldn't get caught. The same goes for private property. As long as you leave no trace and no one knows, I wouldn't see a problem. But the fine for getting caught is probably substantial, and its only $50 for camping... I'd say if you don't get a better offer just paying for it would be worth sleeping in peace.

charley

Apr 22, 2009, 5:18 PM
Post #3 of 10 (4079 views)
Shortcut

Re: [NDKalltheway] Camping [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I see rangers a lot but I'm there a lot.
I hope you think about what it may do to climbing access when climbers are caught camping in a park that doesn't allow camping but has three campgrounds within a few miles.
Otoh there are a lot of back roads and farms in the area.

(This post was edited by charley on Apr 22, 2009, 5:20 PM)

NDKalltheway

Apr 23, 2009, 12:16 AM
Post #4 of 10 (4047 views)
Shortcut

Re: [charley] Camping [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Right, I forgot to mention don't be a climber. The access is already pretty poor. Every time I drive through there I think of how awesome the road side rocks look... Too bad those rocks will never be (legally) climbed again. What a waste of sweet routes. In the guide book most of the climbs are listed as historic, because they are forever off limits...... I retract my previous statement- pay for the camping :P I refuse to lose the climbing that is left.

fatal3rr

Apr 23, 2009, 2:35 PM
Post #5 of 10 (4033 views)
Shortcut

Re:Camping [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

You all make valid points that I didnt really consider. I ended up finding a very reasonable campground as well so all works out. Hope to see everyone up there! Thanks for all the input.

StateParks

Apr 23, 2009, 7:21 PM
Post #6 of 10 (4004 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Greetings All,

As the park manager in charge, I want to extend many thanks to all that have agreed to not break park rules and regulations at McConnells Mill State Park. These rules and regulations are in place for public safety and protection of the natural resource you all enjoy so much. Please feel free to call the park office for more information regarding local camping options at many of the private campgrounds and at nearby Moraine State Park. (724-368-8811)

I am also impressed with the outstanding decision you have all made as this question posted. Please note that we are in the process of reviewing several sport routes that may be opened in the future if approved. This chat string has demonstrated the type of responsible climbers we encourage at McConnells Mill State Park.

Thanks again and hope to see you soon at McConnells Mill State Park.

charley

Apr 23, 2009, 11:17 PM
Post #7 of 10 (3966 views)
Shortcut

Re: [StateParks] Camping [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Good decisions are rewarded in more than one way.

rockrat512

Apr 24, 2009, 12:37 AM
Post #8 of 10 (3950 views)
Shortcut

Re: [charley] Camping [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Indeed, as the AF volunteer who has busted his ass trying to build relations with this Park and the DCNR in general I think your making a good choice. Its a bad time of the year since trout just opened so the couple freebie spots I know off the Park will be filled up with fisherman or Id say PM me...at any rate enjoy the great weekend weather!

heidt410

May 31, 2009, 1:54 AM
Post #9 of 10 (3816 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

For future reference; one free option would be to drive over to Moraine SP, 10 minutes away... and camp at a backpacking shelter off the North Country Trail. Only downside is you need to hike in, they are listed on the dcnr website map.

Rawlio

Nov 9, 2010, 10:32 PM
Post #10 of 10 (3393 views)
Shortcut

Re: [heidt410] Camping [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Breakneck Campground is on the edge of the Park (literally) and costs 8 bucks per person per night.

http://breakneckcampground.com

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook