Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
Closed To Climbing
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

sandstone

Mar 2, 2009, 5:32 PM
Post #1 of 6 (1927 views)
Shortcut

Closed To Climbing  (North_America: United_States: Alabama: Northern: Rainbow_Mtn_)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Rainbow Mtn is officially closed to climbing. This is posted on the signs in the parking area. It's been that way for a few years.

Publishing information about the place (especially without mentioning it is closed) can only make the access situation worse.

mojomonkey

May 6, 2009, 4:14 PM
Post #2 of 6 (1743 views)
Shortcut

Re: [sandstone] Closed To Climbing [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

sandstone wrote:
Rainbow Mtn is officially closed to climbing. This is posted on the signs in the parking area. It's been that way for a few years.

Publishing information about the place (especially without mentioning it is closed) can only make the access situation worse.

If this is really closed, perhaps you should have a talk with jjs0003 since he is adding his new "first ascents" to this section...

sandstone

May 6, 2009, 5:35 PM
Post #3 of 6 (1696 views)
Shortcut

Re: [mojomonkey] Closed To Climbing [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

There is this comment on one of the photographs posted on this site:

"The sign says no climbing, but makes no mention of bouldering. Be sure to pack everything in and out and respect the area so everyone can climb"

There's only a few places where the rocks are taller than two body heights, so saying the sign applies to climbing and not to bouldering is ridiculous.

I just don't understand how in one breath you can publish info about a closed area, and in the next breath say pack everything out so everyone can climb there? Don't you understand that publishing info about a closed area will only bring more people to the area, which will only enrage the land owner and the neighboring land owners?

If people really want to keep any access at all to this place, or have any chance of one day officially opening it back up to climbers, then think about not publishing info about the place, and taking down the info already published.

As for those claiming recent FA's there, go right ahead and masturbate your ego. But do so with the knowlege that you are hurting access for others, and that your "FA" is probably a repeat of one of the dozens of problems that have been quietly established there in the past two decades (possibly farther back than that, I can only say for certain the place has been climbed for 20 years).

jjs0003

Jun 23, 2009, 6:46 PM
Post #4 of 6 (1563 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

there is no reason to get crude ok. i will take down my information. we werent doing it for ego trips or anything we were just putting it up for other people to see that there is stuff to climb there. No need to be pissy over it. That sign has been there for as many years as i can remember and never has anyone complained to me or anybody i know about climbing there. But because its not that important to me that these routes have my name on them, as you said im very sure they have been climbed before, i will take them down. so you can settle down and unruffle your feathers.

jjs0003

Jul 9, 2009, 5:00 PM
Post #5 of 6 (1471 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Actually...after doing some more research and seeing that rainbow mountain is part of a land trust and due to the fact that i know a few people who are part of the land trust i believe there is no one owner who doesn't want climbing there. therefore, there should be no issue with people climbing at Rainbow Mountain nor people posting ascents on rainbow mountain. thanks

sandstone

Jul 20, 2009, 7:29 AM
Post #6 of 6 (1426 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jjs0003] Closed To Climbing [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

The area is clearly posted "no climbing" on the sign board at the entrance.

It wasn't always that way.

Do what you will, but remember that your actions affect other climbers. Publicising climbing in a closed area is not helping anyone, and can only hurt access for everyone else.

Peace.

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook