RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Climbing Photography

Premier Sponsor:

Paul_Y

May 21, 2009, 1:17 AM
Post #1 of 6 (4067 views)
Shortcut

Another gym shot
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

For this shot I was experimenting with 2 flashes controlled at the camera with Nikon CLS. One was low camera right and the other was high camera left on a lightstand held up high. Both flashes had grid spots on them for more selective lighting. I exposed to let the background ambient drop almost out of sight. I think this cross lighting setup has real possibilities.

After I learn how to best control the shadow from the bottom light I think I'll try this outside!

rtwilli4

May 25, 2009, 2:51 AM
Post #2 of 6 (3916 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Paul_Y] Another gym shot [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I think artificial lighting looks really good if you do it right. You should go outside to some bouldering areas to try it out. Your pic looks cool but the gym makes him look like a lame superhero in a video game! Awesome haircut!!!

trenchdigger

May 28, 2009, 11:20 PM
Post #3 of 6 (3796 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Nice job!

I'm definitely no pro at artificial lighting and maybe others can give better feedback, but if you want to knock down the hard shadows, you can try bouncing the flash off a light wall, or use some kind of diffuser like a softbox or umbrella.

Here are a few that I shot in the gym recently...
I bounced a single flash off the ceiling for this one:

For this one, I hung a single flash (no diffuser) from a toprope above the climber:

And for this one, I just stuck with the ambient light:

Please keep sharing your ideas and photos!

Thanks,
Adam

climbsomething

May 28, 2009, 11:40 PM
Post #4 of 6 (3780 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have nothing constructive to say, really. Your photo is technically very good. I just don't personally care for the dramatic artificial lighting that is becoming more popular these days in climbing photography. I get especially crotchety when I see that photogs are hauling studio lighting out to the boulders.

Trench's use of flash is much more natural- it enhances the subject instead of taking over as the subject.

Paul_Y

May 29, 2009, 1:29 AM
Post #5 of 6 (3727 views)
Shortcut

Re: [climbsomething] Another gym shot [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks all! I agree with everyone, my picture cannot by any stretch be called natural. In fact, my indoor climbing photography seems to be headed in a stylized "fashion look" direction. Lately, I have become very interested in precise placements of key and kicker lights. In this scheme the ambient light merely becomes fill and is usually two stops darker than my key light.

As you can tell I have yet to achieve that "artistic" look that I am after but I'll keep trying, and I'll keep subjecting you all to my experiments!

Thanks much for your comments!

trenchdigger

May 29, 2009, 3:58 AM
Post #6 of 6 (3701 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I find that I don't mind unnatural lighting for indoor shots. In some cases, like the second shot I posted, I think the surreal nature of the light adds to the photo, especially considering how unnatural climbing plastic holds on a big plywood wall is. For outdoor stuff though, I have to agree - I don't want to be able to tell that artificial lighting was used.

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Climbing Photography

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook