Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Partner coldclimb

Nov 15, 2005, 9:33 PM
Post #26 of 47 (8003 views)
Shortcut

Re: rope swing / bridge / grigri [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

In reply to:
Will you try this with your own life and let us know the result ?

I'd do it today if I had a grigri. I'm quite confident that the device will hold up just fine under an amount of force I can hold with my hands. :lol:

bleve

Nov 15, 2005, 9:54 PM
Post #27 of 47 (8003 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Alert Serious BuzzKiller......

Use caution, think it through, and test it before you fly, each time!

After several rope swings off a bridge we returned another time. The set up was not done EXACTLY as before and the first person who jumped decked. He did not survive..... Could have been anyone of us who was arguing to jump first.

Our hearts still carry a heavy burden......

majid_sabet

Nov 17, 2005, 2:05 AM
Post #28 of 47 (8003 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

I'd do it today if I had a grigri. I'm quite confident that the device will hold up just fine under an amount of force I can hold with my hands. :lol:

I guess you have a superman's hand.

Partner coldclimb

Nov 17, 2005, 2:20 AM
Post #29 of 47 (8003 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
In reply to:

I guess you have a superman's hand.

Nah man, a swing really doesn't take much force. Heck, tie an old bike tire on there for a foot and you wouldn't even have to tie in. ;) Swinging isn't rocket science, or really a whole lot of rigging even. Something like this? The only real problem is preventing wear, not worrying about the grigri breaking. :lol:

estwing

Nov 17, 2005, 2:23 AM
Post #30 of 47 (8013 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Any of you ever heard of Dan Osman? WFLT jump caught by gri-gri. Check out masters of stone 5. (He didn't die from gri-gri failure).

deadhorse

Aug 11, 2006, 7:00 AM
Post #31 of 47 (8013 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

this really doesn't seem that hard to rig...
more interesting tho is the way you CAN use that gri gri on this swing- at the swing out once, then open the gri gri all the way, so you'll drop to the water ( I hope it's water??) below. Like a giant traditional rope swing.

sungam

Aug 11, 2006, 10:53 AM
Post #32 of 47 (8013 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

As Estwing said, Dan osman used a gri-gri in his controlled free falls... up to 1,100'. He did this to reduce rope bend (a figure of eight, for exaple, sacrifices ~20% of the ropes strength) and, obviously, it worked fine. as for the top anchor, i would recomend using a figure of nine, or even ten (one or two extra wraps than a fig 8) as they hold up to 7% more of the ropes strength, but, possibly more importantly in this stiuation, are WAY easier to untie after loading! just make sure they are dressed properly.
Personally, i would use two ropes, one attached to the gri gri at your waste, and another with the same rigging in reverse, so if you hit something and knock yourself out, your friends can cut your rope and lower you on the other one.
Remember that hanging unconcious in a sit harness can cause death due constriction of major leg artery's in less than an hour...

-Magnus

P.S. i will be using this rigging for jump jumps/swing possibly tomorrow or another soon to come date :P

Partner tisar

Aug 11, 2006, 12:13 PM
Post #33 of 47 (8013 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Last post was
In reply to:
Posted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 3:23 am

deadhorse, you deserve your name :lol:

- Daniel

deadhorse

Aug 12, 2006, 12:16 AM
Post #34 of 47 (8013 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

This Dan Osman sounds like a B A M F. The death due to blockage in blood flow of the leg is very interesting, i'll have to remember that.

something about this statement tickles my fancy, even if it may strike a feeling of unease...
In reply to:
deadhorse, you deserve your name Laughing

ninja_climber

Aug 12, 2006, 12:39 PM
Post #35 of 47 (8013 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I did this once, I didn't rig it though. I just jumped. I was hooked up by a Gri-Gri though. It awesome on the way down. Don't forget to factor in the stretch factor. I remeber the first guy that jumped was meter short of his feet touching the ground. It was 25m bridge if it matters. Uber fun!

sungam

Aug 12, 2006, 2:22 PM
Post #36 of 47 (8013 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
The death due to blockage in blood flow of the leg is very interesting, i'll have to remember that.
The test was carried out by the US air force. They left a guy hanging 3 feeet from the ground in a hanger. they were testing what would happen over long periods of time if he was just left there.
when they came back an hour later, he was dead.
They assume that, as with most blood loss victems, he first became tired, fell asleep, then died.
had he kept moving, as you would if concous and hanging in your harness, he probobly wouldn't have died.

-Magnus

Oh yeah, the results are on the ent somewhere but i can't be assed finding them.

Spidermite

May 30, 2009, 5:19 PM
Post #37 of 47 (4586 views)
Shortcut

Re: [sungam] rope swing / bridge / grigri [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm hoping to jump today, bridge is 70m+ tall and ~40m long by 4m wide. going to use 30m of rope out and swing diagonally between the middle.

2" milspec webbing quadrupal wrapped around the girders and 2 31kn lockers clipped to the webbing then to the rope that's doubled over with an extra tail reanchored to another location as a back up.

then prussicing back up lol.

let ya all know how it goes

jt512

May 30, 2009, 7:31 PM
Post #38 of 47 (4557 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Spidermite] rope swing / bridge / grigri [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Spidermite wrote:
I'm hoping to jump today, bridge is 70m+ tall and ~40m long by 4m wide. going to use 30m of rope out and swing diagonally between the middle.

2" milspec webbing quadrupal wrapped around the girders and 2 31kn lockers clipped to the webbing then to the rope that's doubled over with an extra tail reanchored to another location as a back up.

Not that you're planning to do it, but the idea of attaching yourself to the rope with just a grigri, as was suggested at the beginning of the thread, sounds like a good way to die.

Jay

Spidermite

May 31, 2009, 10:04 AM
Post #39 of 47 (4519 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jt512] rope swing / bridge / grigri [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

jt512 wrote:
Spidermite wrote:

Not that you're planning to do it, but the idea of attaching yourself to the rope with just a grigri, as was suggested at the beginning of the thread, sounds like a good way to die.

Jay

Oh, guess i missed that part..
I would of tied in if we went today, went climbing first and ran out of time.
Going tomorrow i hope.

sungam

May 31, 2009, 10:06 PM
Post #40 of 47 (4488 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

jt512 wrote:
Spidermite wrote:

Jay
Even if backed up? I would prefer a grigri to a knot...

jt512

May 31, 2009, 10:15 PM
Post #41 of 47 (4486 views)
Shortcut

Re: [sungam] rope swing / bridge / grigri [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

sungam wrote:
jt512 wrote:
Spidermite wrote:

Jay
Even if backed up? I would prefer a grigri to a knot...

The grigri requires a shock load to lock up. Gradually loading it, as you would in one of these stupid swing stunts, would be risky.

Jay

sungam

May 31, 2009, 10:22 PM
Post #42 of 47 (4484 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Unless the rope was already pretty tight, which in practice it never really is, there's always a shock load when it comes tight after the initial drop.

ken21il

Jun 1, 2009, 12:08 AM
Post #43 of 47 (4473 views)
Shortcut

Re: [mostwanted] rope swing / bridge / grigri [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ybr2P7OX6UY

lidosis

Jun 1, 2009, 2:01 AM
Post #44 of 47 (4437 views)
Shortcut

Re: [daithi] rope swing / bridge / grigri [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

daithi: "The braking force of the grigri is about 9 kN before it start to slips."

I don't know where you are getting that from the technical notice list dynamic 10mm at 4kn and some beefy static 11mm at 7kn. You got some 12.5 that your squeezing through there.

http://www.petzl.com/files/all/technical-notice/Pro/D14%20GRIGRI%20D14601-I.pdf

lidosis

Jun 1, 2009, 2:04 AM
Post #45 of 47 (4436 views)
Shortcut

Re: [ken21il] rope swing / bridge / grigri [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Here's a vid with a gri-gri and I believe a beal joker.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fcFjWAKpAoQ&feature=channel_page

Notice the brake hand holding the gri gri, it feeds out if you don't hold it, but the brake engages after you fall a bit.

Remember Kids always tie a stopper knot!

billcoe_

Jun 1, 2009, 3:35 AM
Post #46 of 47 (4425 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Spidermite] rope swing / bridge / grigri [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Well it was a good day to jump into a river around here. Must have been over 980 degrees. Can't wait for your report Spidermite. Hope it's not like this earlier one. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you.

bleve wrote:
After several rope swings off a bridge we returned another time. The set up was not done EXACTLY as before and the first person who jumped decked. He did not survive..... Could have been anyone of us who was arguing to jump first.

Spidermite

Jun 1, 2009, 5:53 AM
Post #47 of 47 (4411 views)
Shortcut

Re: [billcoe_] rope swing / bridge / grigri [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

billcoe_ wrote:
Well it was a good day to jump into a river around here. Must have been over 980 degrees. Can't wait for your report Spidermite. Hope it's not like this earlier one. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you.

bleve wrote:

:) lol
I hope my next jump is better than my first too.. I so ended up in the river haha.

Oh well. that bridge was short, to short for a jump in my new found opinion.. a few swings later we found a monster of a bridge and one that's even bigger.

I think it was mainly getting used to trusting the gear and what not..

We didn't jump today, there were police at our next jump spot watching the fisherman and their catch, I don't think they would appreciate our idea of "fun" , we went climbing instead. Always another day to play ...

Oh, and on a side note. The rock gym was using a gri-gri for the swing but it was only for releasing off the end of one rope at the top of a route swinging across the gym.

Sorry for the thread jack.

Is there some kind of database I could pull up all the bridges in Oregon and they're height, length and information on them ?

(This post was edited by Spidermite on Jun 1, 2009, 5:58 AM)

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook