Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

dingus

Jun 2, 2009, 9:34 PM
Post #26 of 43 (995 views)
Shortcut

Re: [shoo] Can State of NH charges for rescue ? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

shoo wrote:
What ever happened to "Live free or die?"

Same thing that happened to FREE AVIATION FUEL....

its a fantasy.

DMT

dingus

Jun 2, 2009, 9:35 PM
Post #27 of 43 (995 views)
Shortcut

Re: [shoo] Can State of NH charges for rescue ? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

shoo wrote:

"Live Free AND Die" would be the more appropriate NH climber's tag line?

Living Free doesn't inlude a reacue on the tax payer time.

DMT

dingus

Jun 2, 2009, 9:37 PM
Post #28 of 43 (994 views)
Shortcut

Re: [multiades] Can State of NH charges for rescue ? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

multiades wrote:
edge wrote:
shoo wrote:

It's a cool motto, but once we were made to wear seat belts, then all bets were off.

We also have the Old Man of the Mountain on our license plates, but even he left in disgust.
You can thank the "click it or ticket" program for that.

It's a federal program, and all states have to participate to get certain funds, AFAIK.

What a load of crap.

Actually it demonstrates quite nicely just how cheaply NHers are willing to sell that freedom - for a Few Earmarks More.

Ph well, I never believed that live free or die crap anyway.

DMT

dumbsocrates

Jun 2, 2009, 11:48 PM
Post #29 of 43 (959 views)
Shortcut

Re: [rtwilli4] Can State of NH charges for rescue ? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

rtwilli4 wrote:
Colorado doesn't pay for rescue of back country skiers.

Hmm... I did not know that. But I do know that with a hiker or hunter permit in CO you pay a nominal amount for search & rescue insurance. That covers your ass in case you get lost or f&%@ed up climbing, for example, the diamond on Longs.

(This post was edited by dumbsocrates on Jun 2, 2009, 11:51 PM)

rtwilli4

Jun 2, 2009, 11:58 PM
Post #30 of 43 (951 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dumbsocrates] Can State of NH charges for rescue ? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

dumbsocrates wrote:
rtwilli4 wrote:

Hmm... I did not know that. But I do know that with a hiker or hunter permit in CO you pay a nominal amount for search & rescue insurance. That covers your ass in case you get lost or f&%@ed up climbing, for example, the diamond on Longs.

I don't have first hand experience, but when I used to live in Steamboat Springs, all the signs said that if you leave the area to ski the national forest, that "rescue, if available, would be "slow and costly."

irregularpanda

Jun 3, 2009, 12:12 AM
Post #31 of 43 (944 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

rtwilli4 wrote:
dumbsocrates wrote:
rtwilli4 wrote:

I don't have first hand experience, but when I used to live in Steamboat Springs, all the signs said that if you leave the area to ski the national forest, that "rescue, if available, would be "slow and costly."

This is just another reason people should join the AAC....rescue insurance.

That is, it's insured assuming you call global rescue immediately after you call 911.

altelis

Jun 3, 2009, 12:21 AM
Post #32 of 43 (939 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

rtwilli4 wrote:
dumbsocrates wrote:
rtwilli4 wrote:

To be fair, that doesn't necessarily mean you (the rescued) are paying for it. It would be a useful "scare tactic" by the mountain, as well as not being totally misleading, to say rescues will be costly, even if that cost is eaten by the state.

It could have just been a wiley way to keep people from being stupid- people are more afraid of hurting their pocket book than they are of doing stupid things that may "incur a rescue".....

than again, it could mean exactly what it sounds like it means....you never know

rtwilli4

Jun 3, 2009, 1:39 AM
Post #33 of 43 (921 views)
Shortcut

Re: [altelis] Can State of NH charges for rescue ? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

altelis wrote:
rtwilli4 wrote:
dumbsocrates wrote:
rtwilli4 wrote:

To be fair, that doesn't necessarily mean you (the rescued) are paying for it. It would be a useful "scare tactic" by the mountain, as well as not being totally misleading, to say rescues will be costly, even if that cost is eaten by the state.

It could have just been a wiley way to keep people from being stupid- people are more afraid of hurting their pocket book than they are of doing stupid things that may "incur a rescue".....

than again, it could mean exactly what it sounds like it means....you never know

It wouldn't surprise me at all to see a ski resort do that but I think these signs were legit.

Here is a pic:

It's been a few years but I remember that the law changed in some way while I was living there. Most of the good riding around Steamboat is back country so it was a big deal. I believe that the law that passed while I was there put the liability of the party being rescued.

pfwein

Jun 3, 2009, 3:02 AM
Post #34 of 43 (898 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I don't think there is a simple answer to the question of "must the rescuee pay to be rescued" in Colorado because that may depend upon the organization that does the rescuing.
The group that I most familiar with, Rocky Mountain Rescue Group, which handles many/most rescues in Boulder Country, does not charge rescuees under any circumstances (disclaimer: I am not a member of RMRG, and the above is my understanding, but anyone should check with RMRG to verify my understanding if they really want to be 100% sure).
Other rescue entities may have different policies.
The legal enforceability of an invoice sent by a rescue agency to a rescuee raises interesting issues and I don't know how they would be resolved. If anyone tells you they do know, please ask for a citation to any legal authority and post the response to this thread.

irregularpanda

Jun 3, 2009, 3:15 AM
Post #35 of 43 (895 views)
Shortcut

Re: [pfwein] Can State of NH charges for rescue ? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

pfwein wrote:

The legal enforceability of an invoice sent by a rescue agency to a rescuee raises interesting issues and I don't know how they would be resolved.

Good point.

Here's what happens in oregon/mt hood.

There was a big debate about this a couple years back because of an extremely costly rescue....basically some fools from texas decided to attempt a technical route despite the fact that a large storm cell was moving in. It became one of the most costly rescues in the history of Mt hood, in more ways than just monetary. The taxpayers had to foot the bill, and if I remember right, rescuers died.

Here's a short interview concerning that incident. http://www.nationalgeographic.com/...d-steve-rollins.html I wish I could have found a better article about it, it was a heated debate up there for a while.

dumbsocrates

Jun 3, 2009, 11:48 AM
Post #36 of 43 (868 views)
Shortcut

Re: [pfwein] Can State of NH charges for rescue ? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

pfwein wrote:
I don't think there is a simple answer to the question of "must the rescuee pay to be rescued" in Colorado because that may depend upon the organization that does the rescuing.
The group that I most familiar with, Rocky Mountain Rescue Group, which handles many/most rescues in Boulder Country, does not charge rescuees under any circumstances (disclaimer: I am not a member of RMRG, and the above is my understanding, but anyone should check with RMRG to verify my understanding if they really want to be 100% sure).
Other rescue entities may have different policies.
The legal enforceability of an invoice sent by a rescue agency to a rescuee raises interesting issues and I don't know how they would be resolved. If anyone tells you they do know, please ask for a citation to any legal authority and post the response to this thread.

I guess I should have said, "insurance." Here's CO on the CORSAR Card:

Why Buy a CORSAR Card?
Colorado residents and visitors are well served by dedicated volunteer search and rescue teams, but mission costs are often in the thousands of dollars. By purchasing a CORSAR card you are contributing to the Search and Rescue Fund, which will reimburse these teams for costs incurred in your search and rescue. Funds remaining at the end of the year are used to help pay for training and equipment for these teams. Anyone with a current hunting/fishing license, or boat, snowmobile, ATV registration is already covered by the fund.

The CORSAR Card Is Not Insurance
The card is not insurance and does not reimburse individuals nor does it pay for medical transport. Medical transport includes helicopter flights or ground ambulance. If aircraft are used as a search vehicle, those costs are reimbursed by the fund. If the aircraft becomes a medical transport due to a medical emergency, the medical portion of the transport is not covered.

Source: Department of Local Affairs

The legal jargon of the statute: CSRB - Colorado SAR Fund Statute .... and yes, back country skiers are also covered under this article. So the signs, scare tactics? Partly, yes. They are not lying: SAR missions ARE slow and costly, but who incurs the cost the signs do not specify. The fund was only established in 2001.

Sorry for hijacking the thread :) So about New Hampshire....

(This post was edited by dumbsocrates on Jun 3, 2009, 12:01 PM)

tomcat

Jun 3, 2009, 3:54 PM
Post #37 of 43 (834 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dumbsocrates] Can State of NH charges for rescue ? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Just for the record,we remain the "Live Free or Die" state.We don't have "click it or ticket",only persons under 18 are required to buckle up,you can still ride your motorcycle without a helmet,there is no income or sales tax.The best climbing in the state is at Cathedral,Whitehorse,Crawford or Franconia Notch,and these are all state parks,and,you guessed it,free.The White Mountain National Forest also contains some climbing,which you will be charged to park in,by the fed.The fed will then use your money to unbuild something they built a few years back.

majid_sabet

Jun 3, 2009, 4:42 PM
Post #38 of 43 (817 views)
Shortcut

Re: [irregularpanda] Can State of NH charges for rescue ? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

irregularpanda wrote:
pfwein wrote:

The legal enforceability of an invoice sent by a rescue agency to a rescuee raises interesting issues and I don't know how they would be resolved.

Good point.

Here's what happens in oregon/mt hood.

There was a big debate about this a couple years back because of an extremely costly rescue....basically some fools from texas decided to attempt a technical route despite the fact that a large storm cell was moving in. It became one of the most costly rescues in the history of Mt hood, in more ways than just monetary. The taxpayers had to foot the bill, and if I remember right, rescuers died.

Here's a short interview concerning that incident. http://www.nationalgeographic.com/...d-steve-rollins.html I wish I could have found a better article about it, it was a heated debate up there for a while.

be nice

The wife one of them wrote a book about her husband climbing the American Everest in winter" and how she felt......

puerto

Jun 4, 2009, 5:21 AM
Post #39 of 43 (793 views)
Shortcut

Re: [majid_sabet] Can State of NH charges for rescue ? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Theoretically they could, but epistemologically it's a long shot.

altelis

Jun 4, 2009, 5:34 AM
Post #40 of 43 (787 views)
Shortcut

Re: [puerto] Can State of NH charges for rescue ? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

puerto wrote:

i love seeing people use big words in ways that are just, well, wrong. hopefully you thought you were riding the sarcasm train.....though, sometimes i can't even tell when i'm riding it....

like, man, am i on now?

how bout now?

now?

how bout now?

puerto

Jun 4, 2009, 8:41 AM
Post #41 of 43 (780 views)
Shortcut

Re: [altelis] Can State of NH charges for rescue ? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

altelis wrote:
puerto wrote:

i love seeing people use big words in ways that are just, well, wrong. hopefully you thought you were riding the sarcasm train.....though, sometimes i can't even tell when i'm riding it....

like, man, am i on now?

how bout now?

now?

how bout now?

Not quite just this minute, but you're getting close..

nhgill

Jun 4, 2009, 12:42 PM
Post #42 of 43 (771 views)
Shortcut

Re: [wonderwoman] Can State of NH charges for rescue ? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

the motto is often misinterpreted, it actually states "Live, freeze, and die" Wink

HTG

Partner cracklover

Jun 4, 2009, 1:47 PM
Post #43 of 43 (763 views)
Shortcut

Re: [puerto] Can State of NH charges for rescue ? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

puerto wrote:

Posting drunk is pretty much always a bad idea.

GO

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook