Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
Traveling to Yosemite (August 5-11)
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

GripandRip

Jun 24, 2009, 2:58 AM
Post #1 of 2 (958 views)
Shortcut

Traveling to Yosemite (August 5-11)  (North_America: United_States: California: Yosemite_National_Park)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Greetings. My friend (non-climber) and I will be traveling to Yosemite from August 5-11. I have done primarily sport climbing and will strengthen my trad skills before departing. I have most of the gear and would like to see if anyone wants to join me during this time period? I will be staying at the Wawona Hotel (August 6-8) and plan on hiking (Wilderness Permit) from August 8-11. I believe you have to pick up your permit on August 7th very early in the morning.

Is there any sport routes? What are the best routes for an intermediate climber? Most of my climbing has been done at Red River Gorge and cannot wait to visit Yosemite Park Smile One last question, what is the bear minimum I need (equipment) for trad climbing in Yosemite (5.7-5.9)? Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Partner climboard

Jun 25, 2009, 1:15 AM
Post #2 of 2 (917 views)
Shortcut

Re: [GripandRip] Traveling to Yosemite (August 5-11) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

First of all it is going to be HOT in the Valley in August. Go to Tuolumne. It will be cooler and there are some moderate sport climbs there, unlike the valley. Check out East Cottage Dome.

The bare minimum for the Valley or Tuolumne would be a set of nuts and a set of cams. Double up on the cams for longer routes. Most of the quality trad routes start at 5.8 so be solid at that grade before you go.

Have you considered hiring a guide? YMS could give you a hell of a day climbing and you wouldn't even need to lug your gear out there.

(This post was edited by climboard on Jun 25, 2009, 1:16 AM)

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook