Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
Top roping at Shelf?
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

suburbancow

Jan 27, 2009, 10:48 PM
Post #1 of 5 (3007 views)
Shortcut

Top roping at Shelf?  (North_America: United_States: Colorado: Southern_Colorado: Shelf_Road)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hey, I'm heading to the Canon City area soon... I'm still not quite comfortable on the sharp end, so I was just curious if there's any toproping in the area. Which parts of the shelf? Do any of the guides offer good info on this?

venuti

Feb 2, 2009, 4:41 AM
Post #2 of 5 (2972 views)
Shortcut

Re: [suburbancow] Top roping at Shelf? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Not much in the way of classic TRing at Shelf. You can always ask a leading party to leave a rope or two up for you after they finish with a climb.

chlopejs

Jul 6, 2009, 2:45 PM
Post #3 of 5 (2795 views)
Shortcut

Re: [suburbancow] Top roping at Shelf? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Are there any climbs that do not have a sharp edge line? I plan on taking a trip around moab and all over co with some friends that are new and would like to top rope, I'll be leading and I want to know the best places. It looked like shelf road was best so far; lots of sport, but the sharp edge might kill it. Any beta?

djlachelt

Jul 6, 2009, 3:01 PM
Post #4 of 5 (2788 views)
Shortcut

Re: [chlopejs] Top roping at Shelf? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

chlopejs wrote:
Are there any climbs that do not have a sharp edge line? I plan on taking a trip around moab and all over co with some friends that are new and would like to top rope, I'll be leading and I want to know the best places. It looked like shelf road was best so far; lots of sport, but the sharp edge might kill it. Any beta?

It's not clear what you are asking... the term sharp "end" refers to lead climbing. The OP was asking whether there is any top-roping at shelf because they aren't very comfortable doing lead-climbing and would prefer to just top-rope. You use the phrase "sharp EDGE line". What's that?

Or are you just asking whether there's a danger of your rope being cut over a sharp edge? If that's your question I don't think you have much to worry about. It's well bolted and the anchors are placed on the face as you'd expect.

chlopejs

Jul 6, 2009, 8:37 PM
Post #5 of 5 (2765 views)
Shortcut

Re: [djlachelt] Top roping at Shelf? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

thanks for that. I meant, are there any sharp edges. Your reply helped answer my question. thanks

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook