Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
The Cumberland Narrows?
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

Properlymodified

Jul 8, 2009, 12:29 PM
Post #1 of 4 (5521 views)
Shortcut

The Cumberland Narrows?  (North_America: United_States: Maryland)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I'm looking to make a weekend trip up to The Narrows for some camping and bouldering. Could anyone tell me how to get to the rock? I've never been, so any reference to roads and where to hike would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

indy_md

Nov 24, 2009, 2:17 PM
Post #2 of 4 (5310 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Properlymodified] The Cumberland Narrows? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Properlymodified wrote:
I'm looking to make a weekend trip up to The Narrows for some camping and bouldering. Could anyone tell me how to get to the rock? I've never been, so any reference to roads and where to hike would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

PM, this is probably very late in replying to you, as I don't frequent rc.com as much as I'd like. But check out the webguide for The Narrows:

http://indy-adventures.net/...uide.html#TheNarrows

Therein you can get parking and trail access information, as well as info on the 100+ currently established routes.

joeforte

Nov 25, 2009, 6:24 PM
Post #3 of 4 (5268 views)
Shortcut

Re: [indy_md] The Cumberland Narrows? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Wow, it's amazing that the narrows was only developed recently, considering how visible it is!

indy_md

Nov 30, 2009, 1:43 PM
Post #4 of 4 (5207 views)
Shortcut

Re: [joeforte] The Cumberland Narrows? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

joeforte wrote:
Wow, it's amazing that the narrows was only developed recently, considering how visible it is!
That's probably partly due to lack of easy access (no defined trail system). As you probably know, climbers are, in general, a lazy bunch, and if there's a well-developed trail to be taken to one crag, the other w/out said trail will be overlooked and passed by except by those few who love the bushwhacking. Laugh

That said, there is evidence that climbers had infrequently visited it in the past (in the 90s and 80s), but what few routes that were done were never recorded and for the most part lost to the ravages of time. I've tried tracking stuff down, but with few exceptions, have come up empty. If I ever do learn the more historic route info, I'll be putting it on the webguide. But it's safe to say that the majority of the routes currently established are new and previously unclimbed. Not all, but most. Smile

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook