RSS FeedRSS Feeds for General

Premier Sponsor:

CrazyPetie

Aug 7, 2009, 4:32 PM
Post #1 of 12 (983 views)
Shortcut

Last time you were in "The Zone"?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

When was the last time you were in "the zone"? What/where were you climbing, what super hero feats did you accomplish? What was the Danger:Fun ratio? Tell your story!

clews

Aug 7, 2009, 6:30 PM
Post #2 of 12 (940 views)
Shortcut

Re: [CrazyPetie] Last time you were in "The Zone"? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

not now cheif
i'm in the fuckin zone

gmggg

Aug 7, 2009, 8:02 PM
Post #3 of 12 (902 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I got the pink route, then I got a pizza.

rangerrob

Aug 8, 2009, 3:00 AM
Post #4 of 12 (865 views)
Shortcut

Re: [gmggg] Last time you were in "The Zone"? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

April of last year on Shaken, Not Stirred. A mixed route on the Mooses Tooth in the Ruth Gorge. Pulling the first chockstone overhang in the Narrows. I took a fall, but never hesitated, and went back up immeidately without any thought and pulled it using a different tool placement. I remember clearing the crux, standing up, and saying.."holy f*** did I just do that???"

I've had other zone like moments since then, but not truly in the zone like that. There is no thought process in those moments, just instinct.

lena_chita

Aug 8, 2009, 3:58 AM
Post #5 of 12 (854 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Today. And it was only 5.7

skiclimb

Aug 8, 2009, 4:10 AM
Post #6 of 12 (850 views)
Shortcut

Re: [lena_chita] Last time you were in "The Zone"? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Today Packing Boxes

clmbr

Aug 8, 2009, 8:09 AM
Post #7 of 12 (829 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

A group of youths below the crag wound their stereo up loud just as I was at the 3rd attempt of my big 5.12 redpoint project with the overhang crux at the start. I remember thinking thats gonna put me off for sure. Before I knew it I was up thru the overhang and hadn't been aware of a single sound.
Great when you can be in the zone.

austinnokc

Aug 8, 2009, 12:34 PM
Post #8 of 12 (806 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In the gym! (know it sucks but can't go out as often now due to sched change at work)

Had some Papa Roach playing in my head phones climbing a 60 foot 5.10 that had kicked my ass a month ago 15 foot up (didn't have Papa Roach on then I guess). Finished it clean. Couple of dicey moments but never weighted the rope.

I was extremely happy and tired when I got down. Now I gotta do it on lead.

Austin

mushroom

Aug 9, 2009, 12:21 AM
Post #9 of 12 (755 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

"The Zone" is a great concept! I was introduced to this metaphysical state by a good BC buddy of mine. I was doing like 4 drugs of varying intensities at the time, and still sending hard, scary shit. He was belaying me and he said something like, dude, you are in "The Zone", man! And I was like, fuck ya, dude!

Then I took a monster whipper. I was able to say the Lord's prayer twice!!!! I drilled a ledge but did a nice backwards roll and only broke my femur! I was like, whatev, and told my BC buddy to pull the rope because I'm done for the day. He was like, whatev m8, and I think we started rapping. I don't remember this part because apparently I passed out on rap at some point and was dangling from the end of my rope (tie knots at the end when you may pass out on rappel). Someone had to do that gnarly rapping on a weighted line trick or something. No evac was called because that is some bullshit! The wall makes an A+ grave. Why would you want to be in a hole when you can be a grizzly reminder of the danger of climbing until you decompose?

All said and done, it was gnarly, dude! My doctor thinks climbing is *cool* and gave me some more drugs so I could, get this, *Zone OUT* for like 6 months. Instead of crying myself to sleep EVERY night, I just ate 4 percocets with a beer and wanked.

I'm in "The Zone" right now, too.

byran

Aug 9, 2009, 1:16 AM
Post #10 of 12 (748 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

This one time I was gettin it on with one of my girlfriends and just as i pull out to come on her tits her husband walks in on us and he just stares at us and I'm like "woah!" and he's like "that's it, I'm getting my gun!" Well I decide to get the hell out of there and as I'm out the front door I see him coming back down the stairs with a goddamn shotgun. I just took off running down the street as fast as I can, stil totally nude and I'm not running very fast becaus I'm still ejaculating, cuz sometimes my orgazims last for over 10 minuts and this was one of those times. Well i got hit buy some buckshot in my left ass cheak but i dont even feel it at the time cuz I was so in THE ZONE that i just kept runing and ejaculating all the way back to my parents house.

looking back now, i'd say the danger:fun ratio was even-steven at 8:8

*edited a spelling mistake

(This post was edited by byran on Aug 9, 2009, 1:18 AM)

mecalekahi-mekahidyho

Aug 9, 2009, 1:27 AM
Post #11 of 12 (742 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I dont shop at Auto Zone.

AntinJ

Aug 9, 2009, 2:18 AM
Post #12 of 12 (728 views)
Shortcut

Re: [mecalekahi-mekahidyho] Last time you were in "The Zone"? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Cathedral Ledge, NH Spring 2009

3 of us were climbing at Cathedral Ledge and had just about used up all the daylight. We were still looking for some climbing and had about 30 minutes before dark so we headed to a face called the 'North End'. I had no prior knowledge of routes at the area and at the time my highest Trad lead was 5.8. We had a guide book, but wanted to play "Backwards Game" (find a route that looks fun, climb it, guess the grade, look it up after). I picked a route that looked well protected and really fun so I tied in, geared up and switched on my headlamp…

One of my buddies happened to be familiar with the route and my climbing ability. I asked him if I was going to kill myself …
He smirked and threaded his belay device.

Long-story-short, I ended up gettting "in the zone" and climbing "They Died Laughing" in pitch black. It's a terrific route, very long, and swallows gear. I couldn't have asked for a better intro to 5.9 Trad climbing! The only problem was looking for the "Bolted" rap station, as listed in the guidebook with a fluttering headlamp.

DANGER:FUN
1:10

Here's a picture of my friend Andy following the route that evening:

http://www.rockclimbing.com/..._Laughing_92766.html

(This post was edited by AntinJ on Aug 9, 2009, 2:55 AM)

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook