RSS FeedRSS Feeds for General

Premier Sponsor:

teleguitar4

Nov 6, 2009, 6:10 PM
Post #1 of 18 (1609 views)
Shortcut

Week long trip Over Christmas Time
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

So my boss gave me a little over a week of vacation around the holidays as a bonus and I am really hoping to make a climbing trip. I currently live in the chicago area and am probably looking to drive somewhere. (flying is crazy expensive that time of year)

I really want to try red rock, or J-tree. is there anywhere closer to me that would have some multipitch trad routes, or should I just take the 24+ hour drive?

How warm is the south east? I admit I am kind of a pussy with the cold, I would prefer 55+ degrees.

sspssp

Nov 6, 2009, 7:05 PM
Post #2 of 18 (1577 views)
Shortcut

Re: [teleguitar4] Week long trip Over Christmas Time [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

The multi-pitch at red rock tends to be shady in the morning and if you are wimpy about the cold, it might be bit on the cool side over the holidays.

J-tree has some multi-pitch, but most of the climbs are single pitch.

I haven't climbed in the southeast.

I would probably choose southern Arizona (Cochise or Lemmon) over J-tree.

teleguitar4

Nov 6, 2009, 8:10 PM
Post #3 of 18 (1550 views)
Shortcut

Re: [sspssp] Week long trip Over Christmas Time [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks! That looks great too. Anyone know about the south east at all? I saw somewhere t-wall was warm, but this season seems abnormally cold around here, so I am wondering if it is the same everywhere.

Partner camhead

Nov 6, 2009, 8:41 PM
Post #4 of 18 (1536 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

T Wall, the Obed (sport), and Rumbling Bald are all excellent in the middle of winter, I can say from first hand experience. There may be other stuff in North Carolina that is multipitch as well that is good that time of year, but I'm not sure.

The thing with the southeast is that its weather is a bit more unreliable than that of the Southwest. If the sun is out, it is just as good as Jtree or Red Rocks, but there is a more likely chance that it will rain and you'll be very cold as well.

sspssp

Nov 6, 2009, 10:15 PM
Post #5 of 18 (1499 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Another thing, are you going to be looking for a partner? If so, that would change things a bit. For instance, I would bump J-tree up as a destination and forget about cochise...

teleguitar4

Nov 6, 2009, 10:39 PM
Post #6 of 18 (1487 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I will be going with my girlfriend. She is getting over ACL surgery though so we will see how much she is up for.

I have the Arizona guidebook (falcon guide). Cochise looks pretty awesome. Thanks for info!

teleguitar4

Nov 9, 2009, 2:28 PM
Post #7 of 18 (1443 views)
Shortcut

Re: [camhead] Week long trip Over Christmas Time [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I am starting to think more about the T Wall. It looks great and is in the sun. Also it is only about a 10 hour drive for me. What do you all think is it worth the drive, I know there are a lot of other great places near as well. I did hp40 a year or two back,

The one thing I have read about there is the thievery problem. It says not to leave anything valuable in your car. Where are you suppose to keep all your stuff?

granite_grrl

Nov 9, 2009, 2:37 PM
Post #8 of 18 (1440 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

T-Wall could be a good option, but as Camhead stated, the weather can be fickle down there that time of year.

The only time I've been there was in mid January. I showed up last afternoon on a beautiful warm sunny day - total t-shirt weather. The next day: Rain. The next day: cold and wet. We then heard forecasts for snow for the day after that and got the hell out of there.

I think that ran the full gamut of weather for that time of year.

teleguitar4

Nov 9, 2009, 4:14 PM
Post #9 of 18 (1419 views)
Shortcut

Re: [granite_grrl] Week long trip Over Christmas Time [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Are there still issues with car break ins? I looked in the forums and didn't see any comments since 2007. I am thinking I just might get a hotel and drop all my stuff off there and hope no one breaks my windows in like others have reported.

colatownkid

Nov 9, 2009, 4:19 PM
Post #10 of 18 (1419 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

teleguitar4 wrote:
I am starting to think more about the T Wall. It looks great and is in the sun. Also it is only about a 10 hour drive for me. What do you all think is it worth the drive, I know there are a lot of other great places near as well. I did hp40 a year or two back,

The one thing I have read about there is the thievery problem. It says not to leave anything valuable in your car. Where are you suppose to keep all your stuff?

T-Wall is one of those places where you should check the forecast before you leave. There's a good chance the weather will be awesome, sunny, and pretty warm; or it could be cold and wet. Unfortunately, it's kinda erratic that time of year.

It's all pretty much single pitch cragging with a short approach, which is good for you if your girlfriend has a bum leg.

Camping is free, but there is no water. Bring some gallon jugs and just refill in-town at a gas station or something. There's also no toilets of any kind, so if you're staying a week, bring a trowel or plan on heading back to a gas station or something.

The climbing is phenomenal. The place is pretty much just a wall of one beautiful sandstone crack after another, with routes from 5.7 to 5.13, concentrated around 5.10. (A popular T-Wall activity is to send ten 5.10s in a day.)

I've never had a problem with theft in the times I've been there; lately it seems to have quieted down some. Cover up/hide any valuables in your car. Take your wallet and your iPod with you. That sort of thing. The truly paranoid may leave their window cracked, their car unlocked, or a six-pack behind the driver's side front tire. (The idea being that instead of having your window smashed, they'll just open the door, or better yet, take the six-pack and not bother touching the car.) But in my experience, none of this has been necessary.

teleguitar4

Nov 9, 2009, 6:59 PM
Post #11 of 18 (1383 views)
Shortcut

Re: [colatownkid] Week long trip Over Christmas Time [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Wow thanks for all the help. Hopefully the weather will be okay for us.

I am hoping to not have to sacrifice my car or any six packs of beer on this trip.

Would you suggest getting the pocket quide to t-wall or the dixie cragger?

colatownkid

Nov 9, 2009, 7:04 PM
Post #12 of 18 (1380 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

teleguitar4 wrote:
Wow thanks for all the help. Hopefully the weather will be okay for us.

I am hoping to not have to sacrifice my car or any six packs of beer on this trip.

Would you suggest getting the pocket quide to t-wall or the dixie cragger?

i don't think you'll have to sacrifice anything; no problems lately. last time i locked my car, took my wallet with me, and stuffed anything remotely stealable out of sight.

guidebook depends: are you ever going back to TN, AL, GA to climb? if so, it might be worth the full guide. However, the T-Wall guide is significantly smaller and lighter and contains the full T-Wall info, but nothing on the rest of the state. So if you're not likely to go any place else nearby in the near future, I'd just go with the pocket guide.

potreroed

Nov 12, 2009, 3:46 AM
Post #13 of 18 (1316 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Cough up the airfare and fly to El Potrero Chico. Once you are here everything will be cheap.

teleguitar4

Nov 12, 2009, 4:20 AM
Post #14 of 18 (1311 views)
Shortcut

Re: [potreroed] Week long trip Over Christmas Time [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Yeah potrero sounds great. For potrero would you suggest flying to Monterrey or Laredo. I also heard there is a lot of bad shit going on around the borders. Is this a problem in that area?

sspssp

Nov 13, 2009, 10:10 PM
Post #15 of 18 (1267 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I can't remember the airport (and am too lazy to look it up) Potrero ed will no doubt answer at some point. The cab from the main airport to Portreroe was only around $30. Definitely the way to go.

The problems are mainly at the borders and I don't think you would have any more problems once there then you would say in the US.

The climbing is fun and food/beer/camping is cheap but Christmas time there is really crowded.

(This post was edited by sspssp on Nov 13, 2009, 10:11 PM)

acorneau

Nov 13, 2009, 10:24 PM
Post #16 of 18 (1260 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

sspssp wrote:
I can't remember the airport (and am too lazy to look it up) Potrero ed will no doubt answer at some point. The cab from the main airport to Portreroe was only around $30. Definitely the way to go.

Monterey is close, Laredo is a couple hour drive.

jape

Nov 14, 2009, 12:07 AM
Post #17 of 18 (1248 views)
Shortcut

Re: [acorneau] Week long trip Over Christmas Time [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

if you have a bad wheel, in your party, twall isn't really a great place, like the guide says a "15-20 min aerobic hike". Uphill the whole way. That's just to the base, it's another 20 to the ends of the wall.

Weather is spotty in dec. It can be clear but windy and no fun. There are some good days too, but my journal shows considerably more pleasant days in fall and spring.

Jtree, red rocks, southern az, potrero are probably a little more reliable weather wise. Definitely shorter approaches in JT....

steinmethod

Nov 15, 2009, 2:55 AM
Post #18 of 18 (1208 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jape] Week long trip Over Christmas Time [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Go to Potrero Chico, Cheap and great climbing. You can fly into Monterrey and take a cab to Posada. About $30-$40

I will be making my first trip there over Christmas time!

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook