Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
Hetch Hetchy
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

Jarred8715

Nov 9, 2009, 10:52 PM
Post #1 of 9 (4960 views)
Shortcut

Hetch Hetchy  (North_America: United_States: California: Yosemite_National_Park)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Wow there are a lot of new routes popping up at Hetch hetchy, is this the new and up coming climbing spot?

Jarred8715

Nov 9, 2009, 11:11 PM
Post #2 of 9 (4942 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Jarred8715] Hetch Hetchy [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I guess im trying to find out who is climbing routes at hetchy as i live in the area and am interested in climbing with people. From some of the people I have talked to It seem that there is alot of first accents to be had. Please reply if you know any climber heading my way as i am always looking for climbing partners.

sspssp

Nov 9, 2009, 11:26 PM
Post #3 of 9 (4928 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I doubt it will ever get that popular. It is a somewhat long drive in on a gravel road. From what I understand: you then have to register and you have to be back out by a certain time. (The exploring I did was before access got so tight). So after a somewhat lengthy hike in (and hike out) there is going to be limited number of hours you can actually climb and the climbing is likely to stay a bit on the adventure side.

There have been post from time to time at supertopo.com about hecth hetchy.

Jarred8715

Nov 9, 2009, 11:43 PM
Post #4 of 9 (4912 views)
Shortcut

Re: [sspssp] Hetch Hetchy [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I agree that it will never be as popular as the valley or tuolumne. But I think it has potential to gain at least a couple of climbers to the visiting crowd. Yeah climbing at hetchy seems like a long ways out of the way. But think about people who hike for hours just to climb routes like snakes dike. you could drive to hetchy and hike a 45 minute approach on a great trail to wapama or hetchy dome seems pretty reasonable to me . Plus im not sure what gravel road you are driving on to get to hetchy as far as i know the evergreen road and mather road are both paved. could you please elaborate.

sentinel

Nov 9, 2009, 11:59 PM
Post #5 of 9 (4894 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I've been putting up FA's and FFA since 2000 in the Res. Trust me when I say - it ain't gonna be no snake dike day climber heading back to WW or HHD (aka Shire) to do any climbing. The logistics alone would make a valley big waller break down and give up. (1) gate closure (2) water (3) camping without the LEO's knowing (4) HEAT! HEAT and more HEAT!

Oh yea it'll be a cold day in hell before I give up any topo's to this area. Quit talking about it and go and fire it. That's how its done. When I see your pigs hangin and rope(s) dangling then I'll approach you to trade topo's. And not a second before.....

No gravel road... Obviously someone who has no clue about the area.

sspssp

Nov 13, 2009, 12:45 AM
Post #6 of 9 (4796 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Jarred8715 wrote:
...But think about people who hike for hours just to climb routes like snakes dike. you could drive to hetchy and hike a 45 minute approach on a great trail to wapama or hetchy dome seems pretty reasonable to me . Plus im not sure what gravel road you are driving on to get to hetchy as far as i know the evergreen road and mather road are both paved. could you please elaborate.

Well, I guess I am showing my age. The last time I drove it, after turning off the highway, the first 3 or 4 miles (to the former informal campground) was paved and the rest was gravel.

Maybe the climbing there is more viable than I realized. I don't know how the system is working these days. But when it was first set up (or at least when I first heard about it) it sounded like the time window was pretty short. The earliest you could register and start hiking was [in the context of alpine climbing] pretty late in the morning and then you had to be back out by early evening. It would be like doing snake dike (or any other route in the valley with a long approach) with only an 8 hour window and a big old ticket if you didn't make it back.

But thanks for sparking my interest. Post a trip report, if you can...

(This post was edited by sspssp on Nov 13, 2009, 12:46 AM)

salamanizer

Nov 13, 2009, 2:46 AM
Post #7 of 9 (4756 views)
Shortcut

Re: [sentinel] Hetch Hetchy [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

sentinel wrote:

Oh yea it'll be a cold day in hell before I give up any topo's to this area. Quit talking about it and go and fire it. That's how its done. When I see your pigs hangin and rope(s) dangling then I'll approach you to trade topo's. And not a second before.....

That's how most "obscure areas in the Sierras are... and that's the way it should be.

joeforte

Nov 16, 2009, 3:42 AM
Post #8 of 9 (4700 views)
Shortcut

Re: [salamanizer] Hetch Hetchy [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

salamanizer wrote:
sentinel wrote:

That's how most "obscure areas in the Sierras are... and that's the way it should be.

I'm glad there are areas like this, with strong unique local ethics, and a climbing community dedicated to keeping it that way. Sad will be the day that every rock is documented in a guide book, and every route has bolted rappels. I'm glad the FA "feel" will prevail in these areas, and hope that the globe as a whole can retain it's vast variety of unique localized climbing!

irregularpanda

Nov 16, 2009, 3:52 AM
Post #9 of 9 (4690 views)
Shortcut

Re: [sentinel] Hetch Hetchy [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

sentinel wrote:

I appreciate the local ethic, but there is a fine line between protecting local ethics from overuse and localism that approaches territorialism.

I look forward to going there, hopefully I get the chance to have a true adventure there someday.

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook