Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
Cathedral ledge, cold and wet
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

shoo

Nov 19, 2009, 9:46 PM
Post #1 of 6 (2943 views)
Shortcut

Cathedral ledge, cold and wet  (North_America: United_States: New_Hampshire: Carroll_County: Cathedral_Ledge)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I'm likely going to Cathedral Ledge this weekend, either Sat or Sun. Problem is weather looks pretty iffy. Check it out below.

http://www.weather.com/weather/print/USNH0169

I'd like to do Recom-Beast, but I'm thinking that freezing effing cold, possibly wet hand jams may not be the best idea.

Last time I went there after a rain, I did Miss Saigon. An easy if delicate slab turned into a sphincter workout session pretty fast.

Amy I wasting my time trying to climb in crap weather?

Anyone have suggestions on climbs that get a lot of sun and dry out quickly? Anything up to mid 10s would be fine, though I may take it easier given the cold and possible wetness.

(This post was edited by shoo on Nov 19, 2009, 9:47 PM)

lucander

Nov 19, 2009, 10:09 PM
Post #2 of 6 (2928 views)
Shortcut

Re: [shoo] Cathedral ledge, cold and wet [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Go for it, looks like the front will move out on Friday night. Recompense gets god sun until 1 or 2 pm. The final pitch crack is usually okay, beast flake dries quickly. Watch out for the "iron cross" move into the beats flake, it often requires stretching your left foot on to a small wet spot.

You can get off the route from atop p. 1 with a 2 x 60m rap, bring them if you're apprehensive.

Other ideas: Freedom to Wiindfall (.10-) is a good single pitch on the Thin Air face, might dry quickly. Diedre's first pitch will be gross. Ventilator (.10b) is one of those hard "used to be 5.9" slabs with bad fall potential before the first bolt but I surmise that it would dry quickly.

DL

fluffystuff

Nov 19, 2009, 10:26 PM
Post #3 of 6 (2913 views)
Shortcut

Re: [shoo] Cathedral ledge, cold and wet [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

shoo wrote:
Anyone have suggestions on climbs that get a lot of sun and dry out quickly?

Shoo... can't tell you, since I'm going to be on them. =) Hehe...

tomcat

Nov 20, 2009, 1:46 PM
Post #4 of 6 (2864 views)
Shortcut

Re: [fluffystuff] Cathedral ledge, cold and wet [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Shoo have you thought about South Buttress of Whitehorse instead? Going to be warmer and drier there for sure.Short Order @ 5.9,or better still Hotter Than Hell to Inferno?Jacob's ladder?Cold Day in Hell?

Those all dry quickly and are in the sun all day.The last two are 10a and 10c,with good protection.

(This post was edited by tomcat on Nov 20, 2009, 1:48 PM)

cfnubbler

Nov 20, 2009, 2:15 PM
Post #5 of 6 (2846 views)
Shortcut

Re: [tomcat] Cathedral ledge, cold and wet [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

tomcat wrote:
Shoo have you thought about South Buttress of Whitehorse instead? Going to be warmer and drier there for sure.Short Order @ 5.9,or better still Hotter Than Hell to Inferno?Jacob's ladder?Cold Day in Hell?

Those all dry quickly and are in the sun all day.The last two are 10a and 10c,with good protection.

I'd second these recommendations, though Cold Day in Hell is more like soft .10a, but I sure won't dispute its quality. Great face climbing.

shoo

Nov 20, 2009, 2:37 PM
Post #6 of 6 (2831 views)
Shortcut

Re: [cfnubbler] Cathedral ledge, cold and wet [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

There has been a lot of recommendations for doing that. Excellent. I'll see what my partner thinks. Thanks for the help!

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook