RSS FeedRSS Feeds for General

Premier Sponsor:

jonwlkerblak

Dec 20, 2009, 11:49 PM
Post #1 of 9 (4885 views)
Shortcut

Crash Pad on Car
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

Anyone with experience trying to mount pads on a 4 door sedan? I was thinking using webbing.... im doubting I'll be able to get two on top. If anyone has any experience with this and could help me out, or explain horror stories... it would be greatly appreciated.

Myxomatosis

Dec 21, 2009, 1:07 AM
Post #2 of 9 (4848 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jonwlkerblak] Crash Pad on Car [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Laugh First of all I did not tie the matt down, so def not my fault...

But we lost my mates pad on top of a station wagon. He just looped some tie-down's over the top and started driving Laugh Luckily I heard the tap flapping in the wind which sounded different from before, so pulled over and the matt was gone.

Drove about 10 minutes back up the road and there she was on the side of the road still.

wallmonkey35

Dec 21, 2009, 4:26 AM
Post #3 of 9 (4803 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have logged some serious miles with two pads strapped to the top of a four-door sedan. What we did was first strapped the two pads together, one on top of another, and then used some small cam straps to attach the pads to the roof, via encircling the pads and the roof by passing the strap through the windows. It leaves a little gap in the windows, so not great for serious foul weather, but worked well enough for me!

I bet webbing would work just fine, You just need to be sure to tie your knots snug. Also, I recommend threading the webbing directly through either a handle or the shoulder straps of the top (or even) both of the pads. That way even if they shift, they wont go flying off the vehicle.

Have a great road trip!

brokesomeribs

Dec 21, 2009, 7:22 AM
Post #4 of 9 (4772 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I've carried 2 pads as well. I had a Toyota Camry with Thule roof racks and a fairing. The first pad fit perfectly in between the roof bars and came up exactly level with the top of the bars. Adding the second pad on top worked (we used regular webbing to tie it down also, but it sucks and it's a hassle to cinch it down just right) but gas mileage beware - it adds a HUUUUGE amount of wind resistance and drag to the car. You can feel it right in the gas pedal.

Pro tip: Spend $5 or $10 and get the cam straps (rooftop cargo straps with a toothy buckle like on an ascender) at your local Harbor Freight hardware store. It will make your life much, much easier.

Gelada

Dec 21, 2009, 2:37 PM
Post #5 of 9 (4700 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I rode in my friend's Pontiac Sunfire (Two-door coupe) on the way up to Hound Ears recently and he strapped his Collosus to the top of his rackless car.

He used just straight-up webbing, threaded it through the handles and the flap the wraps around the pad to close it. He was pretty experienced at tying knots, but it is still a pain in the ass to get it cinched real tight again after taking it off.

We were able to close the doors on-top of the webbing so there was no issue of a broken seal.

I would also recommend tapping or tying down the backpack straps or other dangleys because you get accustomed to the sound of them smacking against the car in the wind, and may not notice the flap has come undone and the pad is achieving lift (which mayyyy have happened to us). This is a possible issue with the hook and loop closure system, so remember to tie or tape that area down too.

One more thing to consider is maybe wrapping the pad/pads in a tarp or some covering the case that it rains/snows. Now this would only add to the complexity of the whole deal, but may be worth it.

So, it is possible/has been done. Just gotta be aware of few things and be prepared for complications.

[Edited for possesive apostrophe]

(This post was edited by Gelada on Dec 21, 2009, 2:40 PM)

qtm

Dec 21, 2009, 9:38 PM
Post #6 of 9 (4615 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Gelada] Crash Pad on Car [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I second the tarp. Dirt and mud are bad enough if you keep your pad in a small apartment, but oil and tar from the road are just nasty.

I tie the knots inside the car. Open the doors, tighten as much as possible and tie the knots. When you close the doors (assuming you have a frame and not just a window), that will add a little more tension on the straps.

Depending on your car and your pad, open the pad up. Less height means less drag. But don't let it hang down over the rear window or you risk getting a ticket for an obstructed view.

As wallmonkey says, tether the pads so they don't go flying if something goes wrong. Since they're covered with a tarp you can't run the straps through the shoulder straps, so use a little extra webbing to create a tether that runs through the straps and out from under the tarp.

markc

Dec 21, 2009, 10:04 PM
Post #7 of 9 (4595 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I've not done this with a pad, but I've strapped loads of things to the roof of my Cherokee, which does not have a roof rack. I agree that cam straps will save you a world of hassle. Even if you just use a cam strap on the front and webbing on the back, it will be a huge improvement.

Don't run straps through the windows. You not only lose your seal, but you have to untie and retie to get people in and out unless you're crawling through the windows. (Disregard if there are only two of you, but it's still adds a hassle to open the rear doors.) Just tension the straps and shut the doors. With dedicated cam straps, you don't have to worry about the abuse.

If you have a dedicated tarp to protect the pads, you could attempt to cut and thread the webbing through small slits to make sure you're still through handles/straps on the pad.

gmggg

Dec 22, 2009, 4:15 PM
Post #8 of 9 (4551 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

They do make flat hooks for clipping to your gutters. This is the best option for cars IMHO. Here is one company that will set you up with your choice of cam/ratchet and webbing, as well as flat hooks. Or you can build the rig yourself from almost any auto/truck supply store.

http://surfboardtiedowns.com/

altelis

Dec 22, 2009, 4:47 PM
Post #9 of 9 (4536 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

1) You'll be fine, just tension it enough
2) As was said, dont go through the window, just close the door on it. Webbing is cheap, just dedicate the webbing to tie down duty. Once you start strapping stuff to your roof, you'll start doing it more. Plus, its nice to have some webbing in the car for emergency situations (yours or others)
3) You don't need a cam stop, just use webbing. Just tie a trucker's hitch- god's gift to riggers. http://www.netknots.com/.../truckers_hitch.html

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook