RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Gear Heads

Premier Sponsor:

fuzzbait

Mar 19, 2009, 12:46 PM
Post #1 of 11 (5120 views)
Shortcut

Childrens Full Body Harness
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

My daughter is 4 1/2 and she really, really wants a harness. She has been bouldering for more than a year now but wants to climb with us when we do routes.

She is very, very petite and light. I do not have the ability to look at harnesses for real only by picture. Where I am I can order a Petzl OUISTITI, a CAMP Bambino or a Wild Country Vision Kidz.

I was hoping to get some input, reviews, insight on these three harnesses. The CAMP looks very secure but not comfortable with no padding. The Wild Country looks very comfortable but from the picture does not look as secure as the CAMP. The Petzl is kinda in between. My own harness is a Wild Country and I like it a lot so am leaning towards this one.

Anybody???

shoo

Mar 19, 2009, 12:53 PM
Post #2 of 11 (5113 views)
Shortcut

Re: [fuzzbait] Childrens Full Body Harness [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

The CAMP Bambino is a CHEST HARNESS. It is not a full body harness. It MUST be used in conjunction with a regular seat harness and not as a standalone piece.

Perhaps you meant the CAMP Mickey Fast?

boo

Mar 19, 2009, 12:54 PM
Post #3 of 11 (5111 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Used the Petzl Ouistiti for a long time. It was a lot of fun. It has been passed on to other active kids, now.

Important consideration, children need the full body harness b/c of the absence of abdominal muscle development and the disproportionate weight of their heads to their body mass. Kids, despite how well they climb, won't grow out of this until around 8 yrs.

That said, the bambino looks like a chest harness only. You would still have to buy a traditional sit harness. Something to consider.

fuzzbait

Mar 19, 2009, 3:11 PM
Post #4 of 11 (5075 views)
Shortcut

Re: [boo] Childrens Full Body Harness [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks guys. Did not expect to get resposes so quickly on this topic.

I must be not understanding something here exactly. I have uploaded a picture of the Bambino. On the website it says it is a full body harness and I could swear it looks like one. I know what you mean by the two seperate units which I think is a great idea for kids who are a little older than mine but this is one unit. Maybe I am missing something.

I have also uploaded a picture of the Wild Country harness.

Somebody here also mentioned using the Petzl harness so that was the first one I looked into. Not many people here know much about anything other than Petzl and BD stuff.
Attachments: 657-Bambino-09.jpg (78.1 KB)
  Vision Kidz.JPG (13.1 KB)

fuzzbait

Mar 19, 2009, 3:15 PM
Post #5 of 11 (5072 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Just went back and looked at the CAMP website again. The Bambino for 2009 is an all new full body harness where as in the past was just a chest harness.

chrisJoosse

Jan 8, 2010, 9:10 AM
Post #6 of 11 (4768 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

This thread is probably way out of date, but for my boy I picked up Trango's kid's full-body harness- adjustable to smaller than the Ouisiti, it adjusts in both the leg loops and in the torso, which was very nice for a small kid. Even now, a year later, the ouisiti is loose.
Attachments: DSC_0311.jpg (64.3 KB)

markc

Jan 8, 2010, 3:33 PM
Post #7 of 11 (4730 views)
Shortcut

Re: [chrisJoosse] Childrens Full Body Harness [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

chrisJoosse wrote:
This thread is probably way out of date, but for my boy I picked up Trango's kid's full-body harness- adjustable to smaller than the Ouisiti, it adjusts in both the leg loops and in the torso, which was very nice for a small kid. Even now, a year later, the ouisiti is loose.

We have the CAMP Bambino. It's highly adjustable, but lacks padding or gear loops. We were able to use the harness on my son this summer, just before his third birthday.

If I had it to do over again I might lean towards the Trango. I don't know how long it's been out, and it's possible I just overlooked it in my search. The padding would be nice as my son gets older. He already likes having his own carabiner or quickdraw clipped to his harness, so a gear loop or two would be welcome. While it's not the primary concern, it's also a bit cheaper than the CAMP harness.

qtm

Jan 8, 2010, 4:13 PM
Post #8 of 11 (4715 views)
Shortcut

Re: [markc] Childrens Full Body Harness [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

For padding, you can get the auto seat belt shoulder padding, they even come in child friendly designs.

If you can sew, it's easy enough to make padding as well, and gives you even more options as far as patterns go.

markc

Jan 8, 2010, 4:38 PM
Post #9 of 11 (4711 views)
Shortcut

Re: [qtm] Childrens Full Body Harness [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

qtm wrote:
For padding, you can get the auto seat belt shoulder padding, they even come in child friendly designs.

If you can sew, it's easy enough to make padding as well, and gives you even more options as far as patterns go.

Very true, and my wife can sew. At this point he's light enough where the lack of padding doesn't bother him. As he grows, that's likely to change. Thanks for the suggestion.

qtm

Jan 8, 2010, 5:28 PM
Post #10 of 11 (4691 views)
Shortcut

Re: [markc] Childrens Full Body Harness [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Oh yeah, if you do use additional padding, make sure you take the padding off and inspect the harness before use, just to make sure it's still OK. Not because the padding is necessarily going to do anything to the webbing, but since it's hidden from view, you should take a look just to be sure.

markc

Jan 8, 2010, 5:58 PM
Post #11 of 11 (4680 views)
Shortcut

Re: [qtm] Childrens Full Body Harness [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Agreed. I was envisioning something that would velcro around the leg loops. If anything, it should limit wear, but I'd still want to be able to inspect the whole length of webbing.

Forums : Climbing Information : Gear Heads

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook