Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
Winter conditions at Franklin- ICY and Dangerous!
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

roninthorne

Jan 22, 2010, 7:59 PM
Post #1 of 1 (911 views)
Shortcut

Winter conditions at Franklin- ICY and Dangerous!  (North_America: United_States: West_Virginia: Roped_Climbing: Seneca_Rocks_Region: The_Panhandle: Franklin_Gorge)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

The recent melting may have helped some, but my last visit to Franklin found the road into the gorge dangerously icy immediately beyond first curve off Rte 33.

Worse yet, during the freezing conditions of the week prior, someone apparently lost control in mid-curve and slid off of the left side of the road, creating a natural track to suck other cars into the same hole, which places you precariously close to roll-over position on the bank of the small feeder stream that runs under the bridge.

The bridge and drive beyond were just as slick, and while sun and rain may have melted ice off of the road closer to the parking lot, the part I'm talking about, right off the highway, sits on the N side of a solid rock outcrop/hill and has likely seen little or no change.

Additionally, these conditions are famous for brining stone down off the sides of the gorge, from fist to basketball-sized and larger. Several years ago, Doc Goodwhack and I spent an hour moving a stone out of the road in the middle of the narrowest, highest prtion of the drive... and we had an SUV, a come along, and shovels.

Imagine the plight of your average gym rat day-tripper...

If you don't have chains and/or snow studs, you might want to consider an on-foot recon before committing to driving into the crag.

This has been another fine PSA from that hateful old curmudgeon, Michael Gray. We now resume the "dogs at the crag" thread already in progress....

(This post was edited by roninthorne on Jan 22, 2010, 8:04 PM)

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook