RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Indoor Gyms

Premier Sponsor:

jonesml5

Jan 23, 2010, 8:22 AM
Post #1 of 6 (2285 views)
Shortcut

Home Wall Ideas - Kicker, Finish, and Top-Out
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hi All,

Was hoping to get a little feedback on some plans for a wall I'm just starting to build. I am planning to do a 12' long overhanging section at about 55 degrees past vert, so pretty steep.

The part I could really use some advice about (any advice welcome though): I am thinking of putting in a 8 inch kicker panel (have some plywood that size), 12 inch vertical "finish" panel at the top, and leaving a few inches at the top so it's possible to grab the top of the wall.

So I'm wondering:
1. Do you think the sizes of the kicker panel and finish panel are big enough? I am thinking the smaller the better while still having them so I can keep the wall a little less steep, which brings me to my question.

2. From reading here and other places, I think I'd prefer if it were a little less steep, say 45 degrees. Any thoughts on if it makes a big difference to have it say 55 vs 45 degrees?

3. I'm thinking 1.5 inches is enough room to leave at the top so that it's still not too hard to grab hold up there. Any thoughts on if this is the right amount? Other considerations for leaving a little space up there?

Thanks for any thoughts on this.

Cheers,
Mike

carolinakinight

Jan 23, 2010, 12:15 PM
Post #2 of 6 (2259 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jonesml5] Home Wall Ideas - Kicker, Finish, and Top-Out [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I just built a nearly identical wall - 55 degrees, 10 ft wide, and about 11 ft long with a 18inch kicker.

I don't think I would use an 18 inch kicker again - I feel it created a lot of dead space in the first few feet of the 55 degree section. And I don't think it came with much benefit.

Finish panel sounds fun

As far as the degree - I was limited by height, so the steeper the wall the more climbing space I could have. I am very happy with 55 degrees. I get at least one more move b/c of the added space and now when I get on anything steep it feels like home. The only downside is you will need more positive holds, which are generally more $. But I'm not sure dropping it down to 45 would significantly change in that.

easton

Jan 23, 2010, 5:12 PM
Post #3 of 6 (2210 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I built a wall in my back yard very similar to what you describe. My kick panel is probably about 18 inches, which is plenty or a bit too much. You don't get much more than one move off of it, but that is what I wanted. I would probably have been fine with 10-12".

Mine is 45 degrees and that is a great angle for me, but I am not a strong climber.

I also have a vertical top panel and made the top edge 'grabbable'. Well worth the extra effort.

rschap

Jan 23, 2010, 8:44 PM
Post #4 of 6 (2170 views)
Shortcut

Re: [easton] Home Wall Ideas - Kicker, Finish, and Top-Out [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I took some time off of climbing (like 3 years)and I’m finding that I can still climb overhangs like I used to (now that I’ve been climbing again for 3 months) but pulling out of a roof and back to vertical is kicking my ass. If you can I’d make it so you can pull out and make a move or two vertically. Oh and the bottom foot or so of your wall should be vertical so you can get holds on to it. If you go 50deg off of 90 and take it to the ground you won’t be able to fit your wrench or screw gun down there to tighten the holds.

jonesml5

Jan 27, 2010, 4:01 AM
Post #5 of 6 (2039 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks for the help! Any thoughts on if an 8 inch kicker would be too small for a steep wall?

unrooted

Jan 27, 2010, 8:37 AM
Post #6 of 6 (1999 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I used an 8 in kicker and it was fine, its probably just enough room so you can get a wrench or drill in there. I've never seen more than a 12" kicker on a 45.

i used to have a 50 degree wall with a 4 foot headwall, the headwall was nice to have, but unless it is overhanging a bit (like 10-15 degrees) it is game over as soon as you get your foot over the lip. I'm guessing that you are building this in your garage or somewhere similar, the only reason I could see in putting the 12" vert finish would be so you didn't have to have jugs placed up there, I think finishing on at the end of you 50 would feel pretty darn similar to finishing on the 12" section.

(This post was edited by unrooted on Jan 27, 2010, 8:39 AM)

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Indoor Gyms

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook