RSS FeedRSS Feeds for General

Premier Sponsor:

LostinMaine

Feb 2, 2010, 9:33 PM
Post #1 of 14 (1588 views)
Shortcut

10 days in Golden, CO
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I am heading to Golden for a conference for 10 days in late June to early July. There will be a couple of days of "free" time for other things. I just found out about it 10 minutes ago and I will start sifting through my Rock 'n Road book when I get home from work.

At any rate, is there anything you'd recommend nearby (within an hour and a half or so) to climb with a stripped down rack (I don't want to bring a full lead rack) or with quick solo TR setups? I might even be convinced to go bouldering, but I'd rather not.

I don't want to have to find a partner if I get short notice that I get a day off. OTOH, I would be up for climbing with anyone if they are up for showing a New England climber what the Colorado fuss is about.

Cheers.

brokenankle

Feb 2, 2010, 10:09 PM
Post #2 of 14 (1573 views)
Shortcut

Re: [LostinMaine] 10 days in Golden, CO [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

North Table Mountain has lots of trad and sport lines that have easy walk offs for TR soloing.

For a quick afternoon of TR soloing, check out the Lookout Mountain Crag. 5 minutes from the car with about half a dozen routes. Easy TR.

http://www.mountainproject.com/...ntain_crag/105745690

have fun!

shockabuku

Feb 2, 2010, 10:18 PM
Post #3 of 14 (1569 views)
Shortcut

Re: [brokenankle] 10 days in Golden, CO [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Clear Creek Canyon is just up the road a few miles. Eldorado Canyon, the Flat Irons, and Boulder Canyon are maybe 20-40 minutes north.

LostinMaine

Feb 3, 2010, 3:24 AM
Post #4 of 14 (1544 views)
Shortcut

Re: [shockabuku] 10 days in Golden, CO [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks for the info guys. I opened up Rock 'n road and wow.. it seems like Golden is a great area to visit. I didn't realize that Eldo and the Flatirons were that close.

What do you think would be the smallest rack I could get away with for some roped soloing (maybe up to mid .10's)?

From what I can see in my book, Clear Creek seems a bit out of my league. Mid .12s are a project for me, so I don't think I have that kind of time (and no partner). Table Mountain seems more moderate... lot's of .10s and a few .11s that look fun.

Is it worthwhile to check out Morrison if I only have a little while to get in a quick pump? I'm not much for climbing pebbles, but I'll play on anything.

Thanks again for the info.

tedman

Feb 3, 2010, 6:38 PM
Post #5 of 14 (1502 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

clear creek has a plethora of all grades, and its about 90% bolted so you dont even need a rack. mountainproject has pretty much all of it, although there arnt too many south facing winter crags...Dog House, red slab, Highlander...all I can think of right now. Eldorado Canyon is 10 minutes from you, and like you found, north table overlooks golden itself.

k.l.k

Feb 3, 2010, 6:53 PM
Post #6 of 14 (1491 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

LostinMaine wrote:
Is it worthwhile to check out Morrison if I only have a little while to get in a quick pump? I'm not much for climbing pebbles, but I'll play on anything.

So long as it isn't too hot and isn't rush hour.

The easy access stuff-- and best known-- faces south and is more or less roadside so plan accordingly. Late afternoon rush hour not recommended. You don't need to pull v-hard to have fun there, although you'll have to be a bit more creative.

Visit the AAC Library while you're in town. Nice space, great resource.

Gmburns2000

Feb 3, 2010, 6:55 PM
Post #7 of 14 (1488 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Get in touch with Gabe (cracklover). I think he and Alison are in Golden these days.

atg200

Feb 3, 2010, 9:16 PM
Post #8 of 14 (1473 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Gmburns2000] 10 days in Golden, CO [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Gabe is all the way across Denver from Golden.

I think Table Mountain isn't much fun and is especially miserable on hot June/July days. Clear Creek Canyon is better, but you should really go up to Eldorado Canyon instead. If it isn't too hot and you are up for soloing long easy well featured slab routes, the Flatirons are awesome. Tons of very long 5.0-5.4 routes. It is also easy to hook up with partners in Boulder Canyon and there are some really worthy routes there, as well as lots of overbolted piles.

I've never really cared for bouldering at Morrison much. Depending on where in Golden you are, it doesn't take all that much longer to get up to Flagstaff mountain or Mt Sanitas near Boulder, both of which I much prefer.

Gmburns2000

Feb 3, 2010, 9:29 PM
Post #9 of 14 (1470 views)
Shortcut

Re: [atg200] 10 days in Golden, CO [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

atg200 wrote:
Gabe is all the way across Denver from Golden.

oops, my bad. I thought that's where they moved when they went out there. Blush

DexterRutecki

Feb 5, 2010, 9:30 PM
Post #10 of 14 (1430 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Gmburns2000] 10 days in Golden, CO [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I climbed a little bit at table this summer. Is it just me, or is that rock....greasy? I didn't notice the same thing when I was at the creek.

atg200

Feb 6, 2010, 7:01 AM
Post #11 of 14 (1399 views)
Shortcut

Re: [DexterRutecki] 10 days in Golden, CO [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

are you comparing north table chosspile and indian creek?

Partner angry

Feb 6, 2010, 3:15 PM
Post #12 of 14 (1381 views)
Shortcut

Re: [atg200] 10 days in Golden, CO [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

atg200 wrote:
are you comparing north table chosspile and indian creek?

No, he's comparing Table and Clear Creek. Table is more greasy, that's why it's a winter only destination

Also, there are 3 splitters on Table that are as close to IC training as you can get FWIW.

Crag_Dweller

Feb 8, 2010, 8:46 PM
Post #13 of 14 (1342 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I would NOT recommend North Table Mountain to anyone unless they were looking for the worst climbing Colorado offers or I didn't like them.

Sure, it's convenient and easy to set up toprope but the rock is some of the worst in the state. It's south facing and completely exposed so June & July are about the worst months to climb there. There are far better options.

You can just as quickly get to several crags in Clear Creek Canyon. You can probably get to The Canal Zone more quickly than you can get to NTM.

Partner cracklover

Feb 8, 2010, 8:55 PM
Post #14 of 14 (1337 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

LostinMaine wrote:
I am heading to Golden for a conference for 10 days in late June to early July. There will be a couple of days of "free" time for other things. I just found out about it 10 minutes ago and I will start sifting through my Rock 'n Road book when I get home from work.

At any rate, is there anything you'd recommend nearby (within an hour and a half or so) to climb with a stripped down rack (I don't want to bring a full lead rack) or with quick solo TR setups? I might even be convinced to go bouldering, but I'd rather not.

I don't want to have to find a partner if I get short notice that I get a day off. OTOH, I would be up for climbing with anyone if they are up for showing a New England climber what the Colorado fuss is about.

Cheers.

Out of curiosity, is solo your preference, or would you prefer to climb with a partner?

GO

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook