Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
crazy swiss travelling whithout a car
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

atelieralagomme

Mar 31, 2010, 3:45 PM
Post #1 of 3 (2924 views)
Shortcut

crazy swiss travelling whithout a car  (North_America: United_States: Kentucky)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hi we are two swiss trying to travel around the USA without a car and we are looking for some bouldering place is Red River Gorge possible? Do people there take some hichthikers? could we walk from the famous Miguel's place to some boulders?

cavemanNdisguise

Mar 31, 2010, 4:44 PM
Post #2 of 3 (2888 views)
Shortcut

Re: [atelieralagomme] crazy swiss travelling whithout a car [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Though there are some boulders in the Red River Gorge, I wouldn't make a trip there to boulder. Especially if you're without a vehicle as many of the locations are spread out. I think you're better off a little further south near the Chattanooga, TN area where you're within an hour of several high quality boulder fields.

lena_chita

Mar 31, 2010, 5:15 PM
Post #3 of 3 (2867 views)
Shortcut

Re: [atelieralagomme] crazy swiss travelling whithout a car [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

If you are dead-set on bouldering, then Red River Gorge is not the place to go. If, however, you want some awesome sport climbing, then you are headed in the right direction.

Getting to Miguel's requires a car. You might be able to talk some fellow OH or KY climber into picking you up from the airport in Cincinnatti, Lexington or Louiville and driving you to the Red. Chances of that would be higher if you arrive into one of those airports on a Friday.

Hitchhiking is a hit-or-miss. More miss than hit... Most people won't pick up hitchhikers, but it isn't completely impossible. I have picked up someone a couple of times-- if they looked obviously like climbers and i had a guy in the car with me. Still, I wouldn't count on it, unless you are absolutely without other options.

Once at Miguel's you can get by without a car by bumming rides to the crags with other people.

If you decide to go elsewhere for bouldering, pretty much all climbing destinations in the US require a car to get there. But once you know where you are going, and from which city, you are likely to be able to find a carpool if you post on one of the climbing sites specific to that area... or here on RC... sometimes it works, though i do wonder how many people who post looking for rides and/or partners here actually find one.

Good luck!

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook