Forums: Climbing Disciplines: Bouldering:
Am I the only weakling in the world of rock climbing?
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Bouldering

Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

decoeric

Mar 20, 2002, 2:58 AM
Post #26 of 50 (4645 views)
Shortcut

Am I the only weakling in the world of rock climbing? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Here is my 2 cents. I started climbing about 6 months ago, and I go instantly hooked. Except when I got home from the gym for the first time I couldn't move my arms for 3 days. So I started lifting weights and using the Black Diamond blue ring for hand strength on my drives to work. That little thing really works. Most importantly I stuck with it and climbed and climbed, but I think what help me the most was bouldering, It is amazing how much a couple of hours bouldering a couple times a week will make. It has made a huge difference for me. Another thing, just stick with it. I did and I am so glad, rock climbing is great fun.

joemor

Mar 21, 2002, 1:04 AM
Post #27 of 50 (4645 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

look like weak is goin around, ive been down with it for a while now.

joe

crux_clipper

Mar 21, 2002, 11:46 AM
Post #28 of 50 (4645 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

"weak" only hangs around for a while. soon you'll get over it. Try climbing grades harder then normal in between easier climbs. you will find you'll improve quickly.

tofattoclimb

Mar 21, 2002, 12:44 PM
Post #29 of 50 (4645 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

A lot of whats said here is right. but one thing I know is what its like thinking that every one else in the gym is watching you well news flash!!! they're not!!! think about it when you go to the wall you do look around but most of the time you focus on what your doing. Boulder boulder boulder I went to font last summer and my climbing improved so so much. persevere my friend and ask your self who do you climb for the guys at the gym or your self???? If its the others at the gym well quit now. If its you then chill out and climb. if you the route do it, you do'nt you do'nt try some thing else and come back later ok keep going it's worth it

lostangel

Mar 25, 2002, 9:13 PM
Post #30 of 50 (4645 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Honestly hun, the only way you are going to get better is though practice, and yes I bet a whole bunch of people have told you this.. Dont give up! Do it for the love of the sport, before you know it you will be Kickin! And did you ever think that it just seems like they are doing alot better? Just dont give up!

fukineh

Dec 15, 2002, 8:08 PM
Post #31 of 50 (4645 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Here is my situation, I started a year and a half ago and while I am a decent climber now (boulder up to V4-V5, lead up to 5.11b)I find myself going backwards. I met two girls at the climbing wall who I where a bit below me in climbing ability; and then they joined the climbing team. 6 months later they can kick my ass at any climb and I find myself hovering in the same spot (partly because I have not climbed a lot recently due to school projects).

My point is, if you want to get a lot better you have to climb more often or consider some professional instruction and motivation. I found that I improved quickly at first, but to keep getting better you really need the practice and the state of mind to do so.

Try asking some experienced climbers about technique and such if you haven't yet. Weight control, keeping your joints as straight as possible (using your skeleton instead of your muscles), momentum control, site reading, flexibility, core strength, and a calm, focussed mind are some of the keys in climbing. I personally really need to work on body weight control while campising, improve the use of my legs, oh and abolish sweaty hand syndrome (which is only really bad any more when I'm doing a tough lead and I'm nervouse........ I wonder why?)

[ This Message was edited by: fukineh on 2002-12-15 12:09 ]

fivetenman

Dec 15, 2002, 8:39 PM
Post #32 of 50 (4645 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I started climbing 2 months ago and I can already send 5.10s lead. I've just been bouldering once a week. Doing steep overhangs really helps alot.
And remember you dont have to climb hard to have fun.

tradclmbr

Dec 15, 2002, 9:43 PM
Post #33 of 50 (4645 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

With a realistic goal of leading 5.8/5.9 trad outside, you are not a weak climber. Most of the spouts in this thread are people talking about 'leading' in a gym on a 5.10 route they top-roped 300+ times. Bouldering does help, so does simply leading alot of 5.7's and 5.8's trad outside (mileage). Dont be so hard on yourself

[ This Message was edited by: tradclmbr on 2002-12-15 13:44 ]

kalcario

Dec 15, 2002, 9:47 PM
Post #34 of 50 (4645 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The people who are saying "boulder, boulder..." are ...boulderers! And more than likely, that's all they wanna be. The 2 best ways to improve are, climb with people who are better than you and top rope things that are a little harder than you feel comfortable leading. And get lots of mileage. And be patient.

overlord

Dec 15, 2002, 10:34 PM
Post #35 of 50 (4645 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

nope, oyure not the only one. IMHO im quite weak, but improving fast.

CLIMB ON

blackstripe

Dec 18, 2002, 11:43 PM
Post #36 of 50 (4645 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i have been climbing for lets see since 3rd grade and im a soph in highschool and the highest level i have ever climbed at is a 5.10 or a 5.11 i think? and thats on top rope i will only lead a 5.8 cause im chikin and to make you feel better get the book "How to be a Master Climber in Six Easy Lessons." by Pat Ament it is the best book i have ever stolen from my friend

climbsomething

Dec 19, 2002, 12:17 AM
Post #37 of 50 (4645 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Don't worry about it. Just climb. Boulder if you want, or take kalcario's advice (it's good advice). Remember, you climb a whole lot better than the couch potato who considers walking from one end of the mall to the other excercise.

Congratulations to all of you who just started climbing and walk up the 10s (and on *lead*!). Set still a second while I put my houseplants under you... they need to be watered.

misha

Dec 19, 2002, 12:26 AM
Post #38 of 50 (4645 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Codey said:

Sorry I cant help.I started and my first climb was a 5.10

I think we all know who gets the modesty award

jonzoclimber

Dec 19, 2002, 12:31 AM
Post #39 of 50 (4645 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

just climb more often... you arent really at a good place no offence, u can do a lot better. I'm 17 and i've been climbing since i was 11 or so, i can do 5.12's ez...Just keep doing it. I started out weak and now i can do same stuff as most people at the rock gym i go to

totigers

Dec 19, 2002, 12:57 AM
Post #40 of 50 (4645 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

When your technique get better so will your results. Stay with it.

lox

Dec 19, 2002, 4:08 PM
Post #41 of 50 (4645 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Quote:The people who are saying "boulder, boulder..." are ...boulderers! And more than likely, that's all they wanna be.

Even before the boldering "revolution" (HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHA), climbers who by your definition are "real" (HAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA) were boldering to "practise" (HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHA) for their "real" climbing. (HAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA)

If you want to be better at anything, you gotta practise. If you wanna be a better real climber, you gotta practise.

Boldering is practise.

Practise often and hard.

bitterlotus

Dec 19, 2002, 4:40 PM
Post #42 of 50 (4645 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hiya Jake!

I have to admit, I'm in the same boat. Seems like I've reached some type of climbing plateau -- it sucks ass!! I'm not a boulderer so here's my two cents:

(1) traverse -- helps coordination and balance
(2) I'm taking up yoga again, to improve balance and also work on slow and medium twitch muscles
(3) Weights to improve that GD strength-to-weight ratio

I'll let you know if it helps! Happy climbing!

histai

Dec 19, 2002, 5:16 PM
Post #43 of 50 (4645 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

With a name like "acute ennui" one must wonder if attitude has any bearing on your situation.

Sometimes I come back from climbing feeling like the biggest tool I know but I still love it and will be out again post-haste.

Keep at it. Love it. By the time you don't care how good you are you'll already be great.

hishopper

Dec 19, 2002, 5:22 PM
Post #44 of 50 (4645 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

IMHO, Ratings are good for three things:

1) Safety - so you're not suprised!
2) Tracking progress
3) Spray - includes bragging, pissing contests and boasting - usually under the guise of providing beta.

Only 1 & 2 are valid in my mind.
Why is it better for somebody do send a 5.13c who's been at 5.12 for years and started at 5.10, than it is for my 8 yr old girl to make it to the top of her first 5.6? It's not... for me climbing is all about using your mind to push your body through walls that even you don't think you can break.. whether those walls are at 5.6 or 5.20 (5.13c upside-down, facing away from the wall).

Keep pushin!

t-dog
Deleted

Dec 19, 2002, 6:14 PM
Post #45 of 50 (4645 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Just cause you only climb (now or ever) 5.8-5.10 trad doesn't mean that you're weak. Trad is so much harder than sport climbing or bouldering. I don't know about other people but I'm fairly strong bouldering V4 and on-sighting 5.11b sport routes, but I'm gonna be shaking like no tomorrow if I have to lead a 5.8 or above trad climb
Do what you enjoy and you'll become good at it with time.

jeanniejade

Dec 29, 2002, 10:13 AM
Post #46 of 50 (4645 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

*its all in your head* ~ for me i jumped on a 5.10b (as a newbie, didn't really know about ratings just picked a color and climbed) and hung on for dear life. I would not let go of the rock for the life of me, If i got tired i would just sit back in my harness but still hung on to the rock with all four limbs. After a few minutes of resting, i'd reach a certain point where my physical body finally figured out that my mental body was not giving up then finally with every last ounce of any strength i had my physical body, by no choice of its own, pushed on and just went along for the ride till i (my mental body) finished the route.!!!! Psyche yourself up!

tomcranks

Jan 1, 2003, 5:12 PM
Post #47 of 50 (4645 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Have you ever heard the quote, "your self-talk determines the quality of your experience?" Be careful about giving yourself negative feedback. Don't gauge yourself by "ratings".

If you enjoy climbing, you will continue to climb. You will get better. You will naturally work on the areas that are the weaker links in the chain.

On the physical side, warm-up good and get the core up and running. Stretch to build flexibility and range of motion. Warm down when you're done.

Climb with better climber's and ask for feedback. Climbing is not just a physical endeavor. How many times have you seen some guy or girl that looks like they still have a couch impression somewhere just float? Its about movement...Analyze the efficiency of different ways of making moves from the same holds. Let the direction of holds clue you to body position. And possibly the best advice? Learn to use your feet! The best climbers generally have the best footwork.

galaxie

Jan 3, 2003, 7:48 PM
Post #48 of 50 (4645 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

think about how good climbing makes you feel, YOU. i now concentrate on that (on how good it makes me feel, not you) and then all of a sudden i do something new that i know damn well i wasn't doing a week ago and i go, Huh, pretty good.

galaxie

Jan 3, 2003, 11:31 PM
Post #49 of 50 (4645 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

by the way tom i have a few days left here in santa clarita before i head back home to costa rica, where do you go climbing?

malaclypse

Jan 6, 2003, 7:52 AM
Post #50 of 50 (4645 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

you will have to ask yourself some questions....

are you pulling mostly on your arms? if you are you are doing it wrong, arms are to keep you from not falling, you have to push on your legs to save your arms.

do you want to get to the top very fast? if you are, climb slower, but make sure every move you make on that rock is a planned move.
it's no use rushing to the top if halfway your arms give in.

are you afraid of heights (might be a stupid question but i know i suffer from it time to time) this problem will lessen through time

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Bouldering

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook