RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Indoor Gyms

Premier Sponsor:

clee03m

Jun 3, 2010, 7:01 PM
Post #1 of 17 (4439 views)
Shortcut

how much to pay for labor?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hi,

I am looking to build a home gym in a large masterbedroom size room in my house. I would like a small bouldering cave, a systems board, and a crack machine. Being that I am not handy, I will be hiring someone to build this gym.

I was wondering how much do yo think I will be looking at for cost? I think I have an idea about how much materials would cost (but feel free to let me know your opinion), but how much do you think is a reasonable amount for labor?

Thanks,

Christine

gblauer

Jun 3, 2010, 7:10 PM
Post #2 of 17 (4434 views)
Shortcut

Re: [clee03m] how much to pay for labor? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

FInd a climber in your local gym. Offer $30 and hour to build your wall (and all the beer they can drink). My guess is it will take 24 hours of labor (if you do the painting and set the routes). This is to help design, pick up materials, build the framing, put the t-nuts into the plywood, mount the plywood to the framing.

gmggg

Jun 3, 2010, 8:10 PM
Post #3 of 17 (4389 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

You could save some labor time by buying pre-tnutted and pre-painted panels. Their are several good companies out there. You could get something already framed for more money, or just plain panels that your hired hand could frame up themselves.

summerprophet

Jun 4, 2010, 6:12 AM
Post #4 of 17 (4303 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Christine,

Assuming 8' tall walls you are looking at starting around $16-20 per linear foot for materials alone. The more complex, the more additional cost.

If there are local gyms in your area, ask around there for recomendations, you are looking for a designer and a contractor.

Designers, may have some construction knowledge, but likely know nothing about building codes, while contractors likely know nothing about building a wall.

Labor costs vary greatly by area, and a project like this is really unusual in the construction world. If you can get OK plans, quotes are free.

If I were just going to toss out guess, I would gues a 16' x 16' room, 8' walls and a well designed, but not overly complicated wall / cave.
Assuming not having to relocate electrical / lighting or plumbing, I would say $4000, with a quarter of that in material.

You might have OK luck asking folks on here to design your wall, maybe offer up a prize of some sort. Make sue to provide accurate dimensions, and locations of all outlets, lights, doors, windows, vents, etcetera.

Toss me a PM if you want more advice.

edge

Jun 4, 2010, 12:01 PM
Post #5 of 17 (4250 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

I don't know what labor in the left coast costs, but I would skip the crack machine outright.

They never, ever will replace experience on real cracks, and are a PITA to build/climb/get motivated for.

Partner angry

Jun 4, 2010, 12:06 PM
Post #6 of 17 (4239 views)
Shortcut

Re: [gblauer] how much to pay for labor? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

gblauer wrote:
FInd a climber in your local gym. Offer $30 and hour to build your wall (and all the beer they can drink). My guess is it will take 24 hours of labor (if you do the painting and set the routes). This is to help design, pick up materials, build the framing, put the t-nuts into the plywood, mount the plywood to the framing.

I don't know why this got one star. If I were in the area I'd do it.

The only critical part is to find someone who can do it, not just some climber who thinks he can do it. I bet you'd have some decent luck asking around Mountain Project for this exact person in your area.

granite_grrl

Jun 4, 2010, 12:46 PM
Post #7 of 17 (4217 views)
Shortcut

Re: [angry] how much to pay for labor? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

angry wrote:
gblauer wrote:

The only critical part is to find someone who can do it, not just some climber who thinks he can do it. I bet you'd have some decent luck asking around Mountain Project for this exact person in your area.
Someone who is a carpenter who also climbs? Nathan has made us a kick ass wall, being such a person.

The thing is even if someone can build the home wall and they climb themselves it doesn't mean the results will be any good. You look at all these home wall that people post up with useless vertical sections and poor transition areas.

Frankly, if this is the OPs first wall I could just build a simple 30 to 45 degree wall and add on to it at a later date when they have a better idea what they want (volumes, roof sections, etc). Depending on the area they're building it in they can attach it to something like exposed floor joists or use a free standing A-frame.

granite_grrl

Jun 4, 2010, 12:51 PM
Post #8 of 17 (4214 views)
Shortcut

Re: [gblauer] how much to pay for labor? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

gblauer wrote:
And $20-30 dollars is fair depending on their experience. A simple wall should not take 24 hours, I think Nathan tossed up our 25 degree wall in an afternoon:

http://ic2.pbase.com/...2734668.SvvTahN9.jpg

clee03m

Jun 4, 2010, 3:46 PM
Post #9 of 17 (4174 views)
Shortcut

Re: [edge] how much to pay for labor? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

edge wrote:
I don't know what labor in the left coast costs, but I would skip the crack machine outright.

They never, ever will replace experience on real cracks, and are a PITA to build/climb/get motivated for.

Are you speaking from personal experience? I always thought it was a shame that I get out of crack climbing shape during the winter. Wouldn't a crack machine to a crack climbing be kind of like over hanging artifical wall is to a sport climbing?

lena_chita

Jun 4, 2010, 3:48 PM
Post #10 of 17 (4173 views)
Shortcut

Re: [granite_grrl] how much to pay for labor? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

granite_grrl wrote:
angry wrote:
gblauer wrote:

Someone who is a carpenter who also climbs? Nathan has made us a kick ass wall, being such a person.

The thing is even if someone can build the home wall and they climb themselves it doesn't mean the results will be any good. You look at all these home wall that people post up with useless vertical sections and poor transition areas.

Yeah, but people build these with different ideas in mind. The OP has a baby, many people who build these home walls have kids and put in those useless vertical sections so their kids could have fun, too.

I agree though, this is not just about finding someone who has carpentry skills and can build the wall. Ideally it should be someone who understands the purpose and can do the design of the wall, too.

To the OP: Chris, I think how much you pay depends on what you are expecting the person to do. If you get plans for your wall online (I believe there are some plans out there already), modify the design to fit your place, buy all materials, and just have someone cut and install it, exactly according to the plans you put in front of them, that any competent carpenter would do fine, doesn't have to be a climber or anything like that, and I would pay an average per-hour wage in your area. You can call several carpenters/handimen from the yellow book and find what their hourly rates are. Around here it's ~$25-30.

If you need someone who would do the design as well as instalation, that requires more knowledge, and I would pay more...

granite_grrl

Jun 4, 2010, 4:48 PM
Post #11 of 17 (4142 views)
Shortcut

Re: [lena_chita] how much to pay for labor? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

lena_chita wrote:
granite_grrl wrote:
angry wrote:
gblauer wrote:

Yeah, but people build these with different ideas in mind. The OP has a baby, many people who build these home walls have kids and put in those useless vertical sections so their kids could have fun, too.

I agree though, this is not just about finding someone who has carpentry skills and can build the wall. Ideally it should be someone who understands the purpose and can do the design of the wall, too.
That's a good point, and a comment on design with kids in mind: I've seen our niece at 3 years old play around on our 25 degree wall with no problems. Kids have amazing strength to weight ratio, so the angle has more to do with how much fun they'll have on it rather than if they're able to climb it.

Since I don't have a kid I would ask other parents who have taken their kids into the bouldering cave, and what walls they have the most fun on (beyond just that the walls that have holds that are actually close enough for them to reach)

whipper

Jun 4, 2010, 5:45 PM
Post #12 of 17 (4118 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If you want to PM me, I live in Bend, have a lot of free time, and build climbing walls for a living, I would be happy to talk to you about it, maybe even come up and build it for you.

ClimbClimb

Jun 5, 2010, 3:46 AM
Post #13 of 17 (4058 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (4 ratings)  
Can't Post

See, it's not just labor you have to pay for, it's also the gestation. Which is like 9 months if you want a full-term baby. So most surrogates get 5 to 6 figures, at least, and sometimes more. And if you do this through marriage or other non-surrogate arrangement, easily 1/2 to 2/3rds of your net worth and future income. Just saying... I think given that you've done this recenlty, you realize that it is worth MUCH more than that.

clee03m

Jun 5, 2010, 1:24 PM
Post #14 of 17 (4013 views)
Shortcut

Re: [ClimbClimb] how much to pay for labor? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

ClimbClimb wrote:
See, it's not just labor you have to pay for, it's also the gestation. Which is like 9 months if you want a full-term baby. So most surrogates get 5 to 6 figures, at least, and sometimes more. And if you do this through marriage or other non-surrogate arrangement, easily 1/2 to 2/3rds of your net worth and future income. Just saying... I think given that you've done this recenlty, you realize that it is worth MUCH more than that.

Ooookay...

Actually, paying surrogates money is illegal in the state of Washington. And we are a commonwealth state so your spouse is entitled to half your wealth accumulated after getting married. Just FYI.

edge

Jun 5, 2010, 2:35 PM
Post #15 of 17 (3992 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

clee03m wrote:
edge wrote:

Are you speaking from personal experience? I always thought it was a shame that I get out of crack climbing shape during the winter. Wouldn't a crack machine to a crack climbing be kind of like over hanging artifical wall is to a sport climbing?

Yes, I speak from experience. I had a 16 foot crack simulator across the roof of my parents garage. It hurt like hell to use and didn't help my crack climbing in any way.

Basically, it taught me to deal with pain. A useful lesson in itself, but it never, ever helped my climbing. For what it's worth, I have built probably 80+ feet of fingercracks for a local gym; no one ever uses them...

Pulling on plastic holds works as training because you are using muscles. Crack machines are just painful ways of accomplishing the same thing.

Bats

Jun 5, 2010, 3:09 PM
Post #16 of 17 (3978 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

BEER!!! Its amazing on how much stuff people will do for it.

ClimbClimb

Jun 6, 2010, 3:55 PM
Post #17 of 17 (3916 views)
Shortcut

Re: [edge] how much to pay for labor? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

edge wrote:
I had a 16 foot crack simulator across the roof of my parents garage. It hurt like hell to use and didn't help my crack climbing in any way.

Basically, it taught me to deal with pain. A useful lesson in itself, but it never, ever helped my climbing.

I'm so glad to hear you say that, I thought it was just me! (from the few times I've tried these at the gym).
Sounds like one can just get a vise and a hammer, and practice interrogation-resistance while seated comfortable at the kitchen table. ;-)

(This post was edited by ClimbClimb on Jun 6, 2010, 8:01 PM)

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Indoor Gyms

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook