Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 Next page Last page  View All

tradmanclimbs

Jul 14, 2010, 1:44 AM
Post #101 of 116 (3500 views)
Shortcut

Re: [tradmanclimbs] Fall close to FF1, trust a Blue Alien? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

I just went back a re read the OP. If you want a serious answer here it is.

It sounds like that If the micro cam held and a perfect belay was given that the climber would come very close to decking. we don't know for sure how much rope stretch and belayer movement will affect this. additionaly there is some doubt that the micro cam is going to hold due to improper fit.. The obvious answer If you want the rout to be fun and repetable is to clip the suspect micro cam. stand in your aiders, drill a good bolt. Lower off, pull the rope and send the pitch.

All you sallys that will scream on the internet at me for recomending placeing the bolt on the FA are completely full of shit because you know damn well that you would be shaking like a dog shitting razorblades over that crappy micro cam and totally stoked the moment you had the bolt clipped and it still sounds like it's a good long ways to the top after that so you will be jazzed and satisfyed when you get to the trees.

bill413

Jul 14, 2010, 3:02 AM
Post #102 of 116 (3484 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

tradmanclimbs wrote:
All you sallys that will scream on the internet at me for recomending placeing the bolt on the FA are completely full of shit because you know damn well that you would be shaking like a dog shitting razorblades over that crappy micro cam and totally stoked the moment you had the bolt clipped and it still sounds like it's a good long ways to the top after that so you will be jazzed and satisfyed when you get to the trees.

Yep - I would be. But, then again, I'd make a choice about climbing/not-climbing/putting-up-a-FA based on some of that razorblade feeling.

dudemanbu

Jul 14, 2010, 3:59 AM
Post #103 of 116 (3461 views)
Shortcut

Re: [adatesman] Fall close to FF1, trust a Blue Alien? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

adatesman wrote:
caughtinside wrote:
That said, it sounds like the crux is well above this blue alien slot. It doesn't make much sense to me to put a pin in the blue alien slot. If you really want it to be safe, you put a bolt up higher near the crux. If you want to do it without fixed gear, you don't place the pin or the bolt.

Well there's a thought. And following from that, if the top's accessible why not just hang a super-duper-mother-of-all-runners from the top such that the end hangs above the crack and below the crux; basically a really long pre-hung draw? Not the prettiest of solutions, but it'll keep you off the deck and doesn't harm the rock in any manner.

That's precisely what Ken Nichols suggests doing if you want to sport climb in connecticut.

just sayin.

Partner rgold

Jul 14, 2010, 5:02 AM
Post #104 of 116 (3451 views)
Shortcut

Re: [cracklover] Fall close to FF1, trust a Blue Alien? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

cracklover wrote:
RG, as always you make a well reasoned argument. But I am left with a serious question.

In your opinion, is there no place for a hammer on longer serious FA attempts? Does drilling from stances (or hooks), or pounding a pin or two in a substantial route that is otherwise protectable with clean gear not kosher? Does it not satisfy the following criteria?

In reply to:
Start at the bottom, arm yourself with whatever trinkets modern technology has developed, and either succeed or back off.

Gabe, absolutely---there's plenty of place for those things on longer more committing climbs. I articulated the purest form of (my understanding of) the trad game because that's where it starts from, rather than "let's do whatever it takes to make a nice comfortable climb for the PG leaders." That's a sport climbing perspective, not a trad perspective, and if that is your starting point, then you've pretty much given up on trad climbing before you've even begun. Which is fine---just don't pretend it's trad.

But perhaps nowadays trad climbing means little more than sport climbing with gear, so that the minute placing gear becomes a problem, in goes a bolt.

And I do think that bolting a 50 foot top-ropeable route and acting as if that's trad climbing is totally bogus. Just bolt the whole thing and be done with it if the point is to make leaders who aren't up to the route comfortable. Rather, if the move is too run-out as it is, then just top rope the route and/or consider making it a head point, while remembering that the world is probably full of climbers who can lead it with confidence and control, even if we are not among them.

When the routes are no longer top-ropeable, the situation is a bit different. Frankly, I don't think there is anything "trad-er" than starting up a steep face with a bolt kit (not a battery powered drill) with no idea about whether or where one will be able to stop and drill. And, by extension on steep ground, I'd say the same thing for drilling from hooks. It's super adventurous, and the result for subsequent parties is often pretty adventurous too.

Starting at the bottom and heading up without knowing what opportunities for protection and for upward progress there are is trad climbing in my book, even if the protection placed from stances or hooks is bolts. So those climbs in the Needles (there aren't nearly as many as T-Man suggests) are just fine by me---I've done a very large number of them. What isn't fine is retrobolting Super Pin after what---ten or twenty ascents---because someone decided it has to be more accessible.

Ok, Diedre. Unfortunately, I don't remember it. Like many routes we all enjoy and think we have some intrinsic rights to, it has a grandfathered-in pin. You might have mentioned Feast of Fools in the Gunks. The first thing I'd note is that if a FA party went up there now, they wouldn't have any pins. If they climbed it that way, then that's they way it should be. If they retreated, came back with pitons, and placed one, then it is up to local consensus about such things. (In the Gunks this would violate Preserve policy, so it is not an option for reasons that are not internal to the climbing community.)

cracklover wrote:
So back to the pin on Diedre - Certainly the climb could be done without it, but why say that the modern FA party *must* do so? I honestly don't see the problem with putting in an occasional pin or bolt on a multipitch climb that otherwise is well protected with clean removable gear. So far as I can see, placing a pin or bolt in an attempt to get from ground to summit has always been a valid last resort, when no other means of protection are available.

You are certainly right, although the circumstances that called for such placements were far more prevalent before clean climbing started. To some extent it depends on the environment---for example, I don't think anyone would try a big face in the Canadian Rockies without some pitons in addition to nuts and cams.

The fact is that the real world of climbing simply doesn't lend itself to hard and fast rules. But I think we ought to have a very solid position, and that the precepts of that position should be bent only after a lot of consideration. The absence of such a position virtually guarantees the demise of trad climbing as it was originally understood, a trend we can see clearly in this very thread.

Y'know Gabe, I'm really sorry I got involved in this. I'm part of a generation that has mostly passed from the scene. By and large, I think we got it right. But those days are over in this country, and new climbers with different perspectives are demanding different kinds of experiences. Sometimes I think the essence of trad climbing is worth preserving in the US, as they've managed to do in Britain and in Eastern Europe, and that gets me involved in arguments like the ones here. But I don't have the stomach for it. Ignoring the gratuitous insults takes effort I can far better devote to other things, and arguing with people who just don't get it isn't worth my time or theirs.

tradmanclimbs

Jul 14, 2010, 10:34 AM
Post #105 of 116 (3429 views)
Shortcut

Re: [rgold] Fall close to FF1, trust a Blue Alien? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (5 ratings)  
Can't Post

Rgold, that is a Totally different stance than what you took before. Earlier you suggested that there should be no bolts and no pins. additionaly you suggested that old pins should not be replaced when they age... then you go on to say that rather than just place one fixed piece on a 1/2 pitch climb you should just bolt the whole thing.. How about just relax and go climbing. Enjoy the fact that a climb is good and not get your panties all in a bunch because it has a single fixed pin or bolt on it..

I don't recall insulting you. I know that I certainly got attacked by the usual group of internet lemmings.. i suggested that your opinions on fixed gear were perhaps influenced by the fantastic quantity of naturally protected routs at the gunks.

When i was in the needles it seemed like just about every spire was bolted. i don't recall doing any without at least some bolts on them.. There sure seemed like a lot of spires...

Why should i or anyone else have to climb like a bunch of crazy drunken Britts? Who died and put them in charge of how i have to experience climbing?

(This post was edited by tradmanclimbs on Jul 14, 2010, 10:50 AM)

welle

Jul 14, 2010, 3:37 PM
Post #106 of 116 (3389 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

Tradman, I believe RGold has been consistent throughout this thread. The pins he suggested not to replace in the Gunks are the pins that were placed in the era before SLCDs. Many can be found next to the perfect cracks (sometimes even big enough to take bigger than micro cam sizes). Perhaps you should come climb in the Gunks one of these days. Crowds are never a problem if you are willing to walk just a little bit further...

As for the X routes, you may want to check out RGold's FA account in the Needles. According to MP.com, it's quite popular despite the X rating...

Partner cracklover

Jul 14, 2010, 3:45 PM
Post #107 of 116 (3384 views)
Shortcut

Re: [rgold] Fall close to FF1, trust a Blue Alien? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

rgold wrote:
cracklover wrote:
RG, as always you make a well reasoned argument. But I am left with a serious question.

In your opinion, is there no place for a hammer on longer serious FA attempts? Does drilling from stances (or hooks), or pounding a pin or two in a substantial route that is otherwise protectable with clean gear not kosher? Does it not satisfy the following criteria?

In reply to:
Start at the bottom, arm yourself with whatever trinkets modern technology has developed, and either succeed or back off.

Gabe, absolutely---there's plenty of place for those things on longer more committing climbs. I articulated the purest form of (my understanding of) the trad game because that's where it starts from, rather than "let's do whatever it takes to make a nice comfortable climb for the PG leaders."

Okay, then we're in complete 100% agreement. And, what's more, I think you're in agreement with far more people than you seem to realize. Trad climbing and trad climbers are *far* from dead. Yes, the sport climbing mindset has a tendency to bleed over into the trad game. But if you think trad is dead in the US, you're very much mistaken.

Come out to Eldo sometime, and see the scene here. In the last decade, new hard lines have been going up on Rincon wall by the locals using head-point tactics. And it's not just those strong dudes on the cutting edge who are willing to put it on the line. Even on more moderate routes, well, let me put it this way - the typical Eldo rack includes a double set of RPs! That's for punters like me!

Regarding the mindset of designing FA's not to be committing, you said...

In reply to:
That's a sport climbing perspective, not a trad perspective, and if that is your starting point, then you've pretty much given up on trad climbing before you've even begun. Which is fine---just don't pretend it's trad.

RG, I'm afraid you've allowed tradmanclimbs to represent all of modern "trad". He may say so, but that doesn't make it so.

Even at a local chosspile here with plenty of sport routes, an FA party recently chopped and patched his own route! Why did he do this? Because he was informed (and should have known in the first place, but that's another story) that he'd put up the line just after a bold r rated route had been done, and the two routes overlapped.

In reply to:
But perhaps nowadays trad climbing means little more than sport climbing with gear, so that the minute placing gear becomes a problem, in goes a bolt.

Nope.

In reply to:
The fact is that the real world of climbing simply doesn't lend itself to hard and fast rules. But I think we ought to have a very solid position, and that the precepts of that position should be bent only after a lot of consideration.

Well said, and I think that is at the heart of US trad climbing.

In reply to:
Y'know Gabe, I'm really sorry I got involved in this. I'm part of a generation that has mostly passed from the scene. By and large, I think we got it right. But those days are over in this country, and new climbers with different perspectives are demanding different kinds of experiences.

If you're sorry you participated because you think you're just pissing in the wind, then, with all due respect, stop feeling sorry for yourself!

Don't take the fact that I'm debating with you as a show of disagreement. Rather, I suspected that you had left out some nuance at the risk of it being held against you in the argument, and when pushed, I'm glad to see that I was correct.

Not that it means all that much, but did you notice that your posts in this thread seem to have lots of kudos (in the form of multiple five-star votes)? Compare that the the agree-o-meter on certain other posts.

In short, I'm quite glad you participated. You articulate things far better than the rest of us, but that doesn't mean we don't agree. And we do appreciate the time you take to do so. At any rate, the mindset you articulate is, in many areas, alive and well.

Cheers!

GO

dugl33

Jul 14, 2010, 5:57 PM
Post #108 of 116 (3348 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

tradmanclimbs wrote:
Rgold, that is a Totally different stance than what you took before. Earlier you suggested that there should be no bolts and no pins...

Where did he say this?

johnwesely

Jul 14, 2010, 6:13 PM
Post #109 of 116 (3333 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Head pointing is way closer to sport climbing than placing a bolt or pin.

wmfork

Jul 14, 2010, 7:45 PM
Post #110 of 116 (3302 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

cracklover wrote:
Come out to Eldo sometime, and see the scene here. In the last decade, new hard lines have been going up on Rincon wall by the locals using head-point tactics. And it's not just those strong dudes on the cutting edge who are willing to put it on the line. Even on more moderate routes, well, let me put it this way - the typical Eldo rack includes a double set of RPs! That's for punters like me!
Somebody else already mentioned it, but I've never considered head pointing to be trad. What's everyone's opinion on that?

Funny you should mention the "new" lines on Rincon (which I imagine you are partially referring to the 3 lines left of/shares with Evictor), where if you are not tall enough, you either stack enough rocks to reach the start holds or pull the rope until you get there, or you just don't climb them. I've redpointed a select number of harder routes (for eldo) and have done some of more famous run out routes. I own a single set of RP, and I don't place them all that often. What I've observed is that there are many who claim the scarier routes are well-protected with small gear, but very few have ever fallen on them to back up their claim. Consequently, every season, with the loose and slick choss, a number of serious accidents happen there.

bill413

Jul 15, 2010, 12:31 AM
Post #111 of 116 (3262 views)
Shortcut

Re: [wmfork] Fall close to FF1, trust a Blue Alien? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

wmfork wrote:
Somebody else already mentioned it, but I've never considered head pointing to be trad. What's everyone's opinion on that?

Frequently the advice given to people learning trad is to start with climbs that are well below their climbing limit. And/or do climbs they already know. Isn't that pretty close to the functionality of headpointing?

caughtinside

Jul 15, 2010, 12:49 AM
Post #112 of 116 (3252 views)
Shortcut

Re: [bill413] Fall close to FF1, trust a Blue Alien? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

bill413 wrote:
wmfork wrote:

Frequently the advice given to people learning trad is to start with climbs that are well below their climbing limit. And/or do climbs they already know. Isn't that pretty close to the functionality of headpointing?

What? Ground Up vs. Top Down functionally the same?

Although I would agree that toproping is pretty 'trad' at many shorter cliffs.

Partner cracklover

Jul 15, 2010, 2:35 PM
Post #113 of 116 (3205 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

wmfork wrote:
What I've observed is that there are many who claim the scarier routes are well-protected with small gear, but very few have ever fallen on them to back up their claim. Consequently, every season, with the loose and slick choss, a number of serious accidents happen there.

I don't know if you realize it, but you're actually supporting my point that a fair bit of the climbing here is serious, and there are many routes in which a fall at the wrong place can be disastrous.

This as counterpoint to the concept that all trad routes are being sanitized to PG or better.

GO

Partner cracklover

Jul 15, 2010, 2:43 PM
Post #114 of 116 (3200 views)
Shortcut

Re: [bill413] Fall close to FF1, trust a Blue Alien? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

bill413 wrote:
wmfork wrote:

Not sure what you mean by the "functionality" of headpointing. The reason for the advice you mention is that the new leader's job is to get efficient at placing gear while on lead, with the assumption that the gear they place may not be worth a damn, so they should plan all their climbing around minimizing the chance of falling.

The reason for headpointing is to find a climb at the edge of your physical and mental abilities, and to train to lead that climb. With the understanding that the best way to train for the movements required may include working the climb itself.

GO

wmfork

Jul 15, 2010, 4:10 PM
Post #115 of 116 (3173 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

cracklover wrote:
I don't know if you realize it, but you're actually supporting my point that a fair bit of the climbing here is serious, and there are many routes in which a fall at the wrong place can be disastrous.
I wasn't trying to refute your point that Eldo is serious, in fact, I don't think I've ever gotten on an Eldo 5.12 that's PG (except your mother, but that's a sport route), and you can certainly screw yourself on Bastille Crack, but double set of RP seemed excessive. Of course, T-man will just tell you to shove your Eldo ethics up your ass.

Still, I feel some of the Eldo ethics has to do with the application process of fixed gear (the army of old farts will declare war if it got sanitized). Neighboring Boulder Canyon, however, has Sport Park and bolted China Doll (now have been lead on gear), and new bolts seem to pop up on the Castle Rock crag. Up in RMNP, there is a pin <10 feet from the top of The Wasp (which I hope was not hammered for free climbing).

Partner cracklover

Jul 15, 2010, 4:38 PM
Post #116 of 116 (3157 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

wmfork wrote:
cracklover wrote:
I wasn't trying to refute your point that Eldo is serious, in fact, I don't think I've ever gotten on an Eldo 5.12 that's PG (except your mother, but that's a sport route), and you can certainly screw yourself on Bastille Crack, but double set of RP seemed excessive. Of course, T-man will just tell you to shove your Eldo ethics up your ass.

Still, I feel some of the Eldo ethics has to do with the application process of fixed gear (the army of old farts will declare war if it got sanitized). Neighboring Boulder Canyon, however, has Sport Park and bolted China Doll (now have been lead on gear), and new bolts seem to pop up on the Castle Rock crag. Up in RMNP, there is a pin <10 feet from the top of The Wasp (which I hope was not hammered for free climbing).

Oh, I'm not claiming that the the whole front range is "pure". Or even that Eldo is. Look at Wild Turkey, for example.

All I'm saying is that there is, IMO, as much respect for the trad mindset as there ever was since the outset of the definition of "trad" during the bolt wars of the 80s. True, there are probably far more active FAists putting up sport lines than trad routes, but the new bold lines *are* going up, and more importantly, they are being respected.

GO

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Trad Climbing

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook