RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Beginners

Premier Sponsor:

wongpong

Jul 28, 2010, 3:06 PM
Post #1 of 11 (2153 views)
Shortcut

Looking for a cool Camping/sport climbing destination. Canada BC
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I am looking for a good Camping/sport climbing place I could go for the weekend somewhere in BC . Since I'm pretty new to climbing I was looking online for something not to commiting(short approach & 5,10 or less). I'm not sure where to go. I was thinking Skaha or Sicamous region but then again I don't have a clue.... I will be climbing with my girlfriend, her range is in the 5-7, 5-8 ish...and i don't want to drive for too long (5Hrs\leaving from calgary). A nice quiet place with a beach would be nice.

I would greatly appreciate any suggestion! :)

Thank you

clews

Jul 28, 2010, 3:23 PM
Post #2 of 11 (2144 views)
Shortcut

Re: [wongpong] Looking for a cool Camping/sport climbing destination. Canada BC [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

you're looking for somewhere to go for this long weekend?

Skaha will be really not.

If I wasn't forced to go to a family reunion this weekend I would be in the bow valley. The weather is perfect for sport climbing there right now

marc801

Jul 28, 2010, 3:45 PM
Post #3 of 11 (2131 views)
Shortcut

Re: [wongpong] Looking for a cool Camping/sport climbing destination. Canada BC [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

wongpong wrote:
I am looking for a good Camping/sport climbing place I could go for the weekend somewhere in BC . Since I'm pretty new to climbing I was looking online for something not to commiting(short approach & 5,10 or less). I'm not sure where to go. I was thinking Skaha or Sicamous region but then again I don't have a clue.... I will be climbing with my girlfriend, her range is in the 5-7, 5-8 ish...and i don't want to drive for too long (5Hrs\leaving from calgary). A nice quiet place with a beach would be nice.

I would greatly appreciate any suggestion! :)

Thank you
I second what clews said. Skaha is a perfect destination for what you describe, but not in July or August (unless you're willing to chase the shade and sit out a big part of the middle of the day). Much of what you want at Skaha faces east, so one option is to hang on the beach till 2pm or so when things start to go into shade. But it can still be 40C at this time of year, which most folks find too hot.

According to Google maps, Calgary to Penticton is 9 - 12 hrs, depending on route, so it seems Skaha is a bit out of your stated driving range.

[Edited to add driving info.]

(This post was edited by marc801 on Jul 28, 2010, 3:49 PM)

darkgift06

Jul 28, 2010, 3:55 PM
Post #4 of 11 (2120 views)
Shortcut

Re: [marc801] Looking for a cool Camping/sport climbing destination. Canada BC [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

yea I live in Penticton, its ripping hot out there. went climbing after work yesterday sooooo hot! 30 deg's in the shade at 6pm.. & as stated it is an 8hr drive to cow town.

clews

Jul 28, 2010, 3:57 PM
Post #5 of 11 (2120 views)
Shortcut

Re: [marc801] Looking for a cool Camping/sport climbing destination. Canada BC [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

plus the camping rates at banburry right now are something like 60$/night if i remember correctly from last year

wongpong

Jul 28, 2010, 4:19 PM
Post #6 of 11 (2109 views)
Shortcut

Re: [clews] Looking for a cool Camping/sport climbing destination. Canada BC [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

60$ a night and 30+ Deg, I just checked weather network and they say about 32 deg this weekend. So i guess it's out of the question.

is there any place around revelstoke... or in that area.

wongpong

Jul 28, 2010, 4:21 PM
Post #7 of 11 (2108 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

or even Invermere

clews

Jul 28, 2010, 5:23 PM
Post #8 of 11 (2084 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Check out spill a machine

I believe it's a pretty decent limestone crag around golden. I've never been there though.

edit: quartzite to limestone

(This post was edited by clews on Jul 28, 2010, 5:55 PM)

hafilax

Jul 28, 2010, 9:42 PM
Post #9 of 11 (2054 views)
Shortcut

Re: [clews] Looking for a cool Camping/sport climbing destination. Canada BC [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

clews wrote:
Check out spill a machine

I believe it's a pretty decent limestone crag around golden. I've never been there though.

edit: quartzite to limestone
Spillamacheen. Wink

I've climbed there once and there isn't a whole lot there unless there's been a lot of development.

Mariofercol

Jul 28, 2010, 9:54 PM
Post #10 of 11 (2050 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Forget Skaha. Revelstoke is better. Closer to Calgary, cooler than Skaha and less crowded. Nice camping and nice community in general. I have gone there twice this year and it is great. We might try to go again in September. There is a new guide book (2010), don't buy the old one. Beggbie bluffs and Waterworld are two areas where you will find lots of stuff in your range, 10 minutes drive from town.

If you are thinking in going this long weekend it might be a little late. A lot of people camp around the area because of the lake and the dam.

(This post was edited by Mariofercol on Jul 28, 2010, 9:56 PM)

wongpong

Jul 29, 2010, 3:48 AM
Post #11 of 11 (2025 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Mariofercol] Looking for a cool Camping/sport climbing destination. Canada BC [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

thanks for the info

Forums : Climbing Information : Beginners

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook