Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
Should I cancel my trip to acadia
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

teleguitar4

Aug 12, 2010, 2:05 PM
Post #1 of 15 (7152 views)
Shortcut

Should I cancel my trip to acadia  (North_America: United_States: Maine: Down_East: Acadia_National_Park)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hey all,

I am supposed to leave for acadia on saturday to spend the week to climb and do a little kayaking as well. From the look of weather.com I picked a bad week to go.

http://www.weather.com/weather/tenday/USME0018

If anyone is in that area or know how the weather really is. Is it just short spurts of rain? Also if the rock is anything like devil's lake and it rains even a little, it makes climbing quite slippery.

I am thinking about just driving out west where there is not as much rain this week. What do you all think?

Gmburns2000

Aug 12, 2010, 2:24 PM
Post #2 of 15 (7136 views)
Shortcut

Re: [teleguitar4] Should I cancel my trip to acadia [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

That's a tough call, honestly. Having grown up there, I am confident in saying that the weather forecasts for the area generally mean crap. The island is so different weather-wise that even Ellsworth (15min away but on the mainland, despite the island itself only being a couple of hundred yards off the mainland) gets very different and more predictable weather than the island does. In short, just because it says its going to rain, that doesn't mean it will, and even if it does, it doesn't mean it will rain every where on the island itself (i.e. - bar harbor may get nothing while northeast harbor gets rain).

As for the rock, it depends. Some get considerably more sun than others and, thus, dry much better (South Bubble comes to mind as a quick-drying area because it is south facing), but I wouldn't want to spend my week at South Bubble.

Sorry if that isn't much help, but I wanted to say 60% rain the day before probably means it's going to rain the next day, but 60% a week in advance would mean absolutely nothing to me. However, I'd have a back-up plan if I was coming from far away. If you're hoping to just climb and kayak then it might not be worth it. If you like doing other stuff (and there's plenty to do in the rain still), then you will probably have a good week in spite of the potential rain.

Good luck.

teleguitar4

Aug 12, 2010, 2:52 PM
Post #3 of 15 (7114 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Gmburns2000] Should I cancel my trip to acadia [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks, right now the weather doesn't seem terrible enough to cancel but it doesn't seem good enough to spend a lot of time climbing.

It looks like a fun area to hang around to so I might stick with it. Looked at other places out east and the weather is the same everywhere, NH, NY, NC.

edge

Aug 12, 2010, 3:00 PM
Post #4 of 15 (7109 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Well, if you don't mind getting a bit muddy then biking the carriage roads is alot of fun. Also, I personally love inclement weather on the ocean, so you could easily still kayak in the harbors or Somes Sound. However, there is not alot to do in Bar Harbor unless you are into overpriced galleries, bar hopping, or other touristy trappings.

Like Greg said, the weather there is a crapshoot and 10 day out forecasts are worthless.

welle

Aug 12, 2010, 4:19 PM
Post #5 of 15 (7045 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I clicked on your link - it's a lot of "Scattered T-storms", i.e. on the coast they may or may not materialize and if they do, they're probably going to be short in duration. Things usually dry up fast with a little sun and wind - it's granite and there isn't much tree growth around so things should dry up fast.

+1 to what Edge said, there is something really cool about being on the coast in inclement weather. I wouldn't cancel the trip - there is a lot to do in Acadia. BTW, if it rains don't hesitate to go on a sea kayak tour - when it rains you are most likely to see seals...

Partner j_ung

Aug 12, 2010, 4:27 PM
Post #6 of 15 (7031 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

LaughIf that were the weather report for the New, I'd be completely psyched.

Gmburns2000

Aug 12, 2010, 4:42 PM
Post #7 of 15 (7018 views)
Shortcut

Re: [welle] Should I cancel my trip to acadia [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

welle wrote:
I clicked on your link - it's a lot of "Scattered T-storms", i.e. on the coast they may or may not materialize and if they do, they're probably going to be short in duration. Things usually dry up fast with a little sun and wind - it's granite and there isn't much tree growth around so things should dry up fast.

+1 to what Edge said, there is something really cool about being on the coast in inclement weather. I wouldn't cancel the trip - there is a lot to do in Acadia. BTW, if it rains don't hesitate to go on a sea kayak tour - when it rains you are most likely to see seals...

rain and fog, yes. T-showers, they'll usually cancel trips for that.

If you're thinking of paddling on your own and haven't paddled in that area, hit one of the guide shops for some info on where to go beforehand. Most of the companies are really good with sharing info. Currents, tides, and wind lines make paddling there very tricky at times, particularly in inclement weather.

ckirkwood9

Aug 12, 2010, 4:51 PM
Post #8 of 15 (7011 views)
Shortcut

Re: [j_ung] Should I cancel my trip to acadia [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

j_ung wrote:
LaughIf that were the weather report for the New, I'd be completely psyched.

AGREED! 60% or less and I'm going, regardless of the area.

welle

Aug 12, 2010, 4:52 PM
Post #9 of 15 (7011 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

of course no paddling during T-showers Shocked. Second using the guides - they will give you the best beta or will take you the best places. I used the one in Southwest Harbor (Maine State Kayak?)...

teleguitar4

Aug 12, 2010, 5:10 PM
Post #10 of 15 (6992 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks everyone for the responses

I will be paddling with my girlfriend as well, but neither of us are super experienced, so maybe getting so info from the guides might be a good idea.

if I head out there would you all recommend some other crags besides acadia? New Hampshire looks awesome but the weather is comparable to acadia

edge

Aug 12, 2010, 5:44 PM
Post #11 of 15 (6970 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

There are far more cragging options in NH. Cathedral and Whitehorse are about 4 hours (?) from Acadia and are almost exclusively trad.

Rumney is loaded with sport, and many crags there are overhanging enough to be climbable in foul weather, albeit mostly at the 5.10 and above grades.

Many other crags as well.

dynosore

Aug 12, 2010, 6:08 PM
Post #12 of 15 (6948 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

teleguitar4 wrote:
Hey all,

I am supposed to leave for acadia on saturday to spend the week to climb and do a little kayaking as well. From the look of weather.com I picked a bad week to go.

http://www.weather.com/weather/tenday/USME0018

If anyone is in that area or know how the weather really is. Is it just short spurts of rain? Also if the rock is anything like devil's lake and it rains even a little, it makes climbing quite slippery.

I am thinking about just driving out west where there is not as much rain this week. What do you all think?

In the time it takes you to drive to Maine, you could go to Wyoming instead. If it was me, I'd head to the Wind Rivers this time of year. Then you could go kayaking on the Green River, Snake River, and in Flaming Gorge, even do some DWS if you want. Stop by Tensleep, or go to the Tetons or Yellowstone.

The weather looks far more promising too.

http://www.weather.com/...ings/tenday/USWY0037

IMHO.

edit click click

(This post was edited by dynosore on Aug 12, 2010, 6:09 PM)

teleguitar4

Aug 12, 2010, 6:14 PM
Post #13 of 15 (6936 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dynosore] Should I cancel my trip to acadia [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Yeah wyoming was our other option. My girlfriend wants to climb the Tower, and I love the black hills as a stop along the way.

Wind rivers looks awesome too!

edge

Aug 12, 2010, 6:22 PM
Post #14 of 15 (6925 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

BTW, I fully agree with dynosore. Hell, if I lived in Wisconsin, I would move to Wyoming ASAP.

I was just trying to give you the Acadia/NE beta that you asked for.

teleguitar4

Aug 12, 2010, 6:26 PM
Post #15 of 15 (6922 views)
Shortcut

Re: [edge] Should I cancel my trip to acadia [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Actually I live in chicago now, even worse then wisconsin as far as proximity to climbing. :-(

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook