Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

jt512

Dec 1, 2010, 7:54 AM
Post #51 of 65 (2207 views)
Shortcut

Re: [majid_sabet] Effectiveness of helmet in real world [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (4 ratings)  
Can't Post

majid_sabet wrote:
jt512 wrote:
majid_sabet wrote:
k.l.k wrote:
jt512 wrote:
Raiden wrote:
majid_sabet wrote:
8 is universal and can be used for belay and rapping in three different mode but belaying in parallel should be done by experienced belayers only...
I'm aware that you can belay with an 8, i was looking for reasons to do so . . .

There aren't any.

Jay

That's true for general consumption.

8s are more versatile in rappelling/lowering scenarios, especially involving bad conditions, so I can imagine rescue/military applications where it makes sense to outfit folks with 8s rather than some heavier and costlier combination of ATCs and Gri Gris, Traxions or what have you.

An 8 is not something you need to be stocking up on for trips to the roadside crag, unless you're thinking of trying to become a fireman.

that is not true. most pro climbers if they were given a choice to take 8 or tube type for a unknown climbing trip, they will take 8

No pro climber I've ever seen belay was using a figure-8. How do you explain that? Sampling bias?

Jay

i never said pros use 8 as belay device. I said, its popular device among pro climbers and they often carry it and use it.

OK, let me rephrase that: I've never seen a professional climber use a figure 8 for anything nor have one on his harness or among his visible gear, although I can't say I've searched through any of their packs.

Jay

(This post was edited by jt512 on Dec 1, 2010, 7:56 AM)

vegastradguy

Dec 1, 2010, 7:55 AM
Post #52 of 65 (2206 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

majid_sabet wrote:
jt512 wrote:
majid_sabet wrote:
k.l.k wrote:
jt512 wrote:
Raiden wrote:
majid_sabet wrote:
8 is universal and can be used for belay and rapping in three different mode but belaying in parallel should be done by experienced belayers only...
I'm aware that you can belay with an 8, i was looking for reasons to do so . . .

There aren't any.

Jay

8s are more versatile in rappelling/lowering scenarios, especially involving bad conditions, so I can imagine rescue/military applications where it makes sense to outfit folks with 8s rather than some heavier and costlier combination of ATCs and Gri Gris, Traxions or what have you.

An 8 is not something you need to be stocking up on for trips to the roadside crag, unless you're thinking of trying to become a fireman.

that is not true. most pro climbers if they were given a choice to take 8 or tube type for a unknown climbing trip, they will take 8

No pro climber I've ever seen belay was using a figure-8. How do you explain that? Sampling bias?

Jay

i never said pros use 8 as belay device. I said, its popular device among pro climbers and they often carry it and use it.

ah yes. you didnt say it until you said it. twice.

perhaps its popular among pro climbers overseas in specific scenarios- but to be honest, im not sure i believe that.

majid_sabet

Dec 1, 2010, 8:16 AM
Post #53 of 65 (2199 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jt512] Effectiveness of helmet in real world [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

jt512 wrote:
majid_sabet wrote:
jt512 wrote:
majid_sabet wrote:
k.l.k wrote:
jt512 wrote:
Raiden wrote:
majid_sabet wrote:

There aren't any.

Jay

Jay

OK, let me rephrase that: I've never seen a professional climber use a figure 8 for anything nor have one on his harness or among his visible gear, although I can't say I've searched through any of their packs.

Jay

you should check their packs.

MS1

Dec 1, 2010, 1:51 PM
Post #54 of 65 (2156 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Raiden] Effectiveness of helmet in real world [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Raiden wrote:
jt512 wrote:
Jay

me and chris sharma are tight, he uses an 8 exclusively

I know for a FACT that this is bull. Chris does not belay his friends because he has full time staff of petzl employees with grigris and white gloves who do it for him. His only contribution is to shout directions to the belayers in Spanglish.

Raiden

Dec 1, 2010, 2:00 PM
Post #55 of 65 (2155 views)
Shortcut

Re: [MS1] Effectiveness of helmet in real world [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

MS1 wrote:
I know for a FACT that this is bull. Chris does not belay his friends because he has full time staff of petzl employees with grigris and white gloves who do it for him. His only contribution is to shout directions to the belayers in Spanglish.

Okay, ya got me. He does belay his amazingly hot gf tho lol Tongue

LostinMaine

Dec 1, 2010, 2:40 PM
Post #56 of 65 (2148 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

An 8 is overrated. I always prefer to carry a Fisk with me. Much more practical.

erclimb

Dec 1, 2010, 2:59 PM
Post #57 of 65 (2144 views)
Shortcut

Re: [oldsalt] Effectiveness of helmet in real world [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

climbing helmets are not designed to protect you in a fall, but they can and do often enough...just read "climbing accidents" and note all of the investigations that point out, "climber was not wearing a helmet"...this is not to say a helmet would have saved every life, but the implication is meant to be clear: severe head injuries can be mitigated by helmets

the foamy bike-type helmets are designed to protect a fall, but won't protect you from a rock hurtling down from above...the rock will pass right through the foam, which is designed to absorb impact (i.e. against a car windshield) by splitting apart, and into your skull

the only kind of helmet that would offer full protection is not a design conducive to climbing

qwert

Dec 1, 2010, 3:54 PM
Post #58 of 65 (2125 views)
Shortcut

Re: [erclimb] Effectiveness of helmet in real world [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

erclimb wrote:

the foamy bike-type helmets are designed to protect a fall, but won't protect you from a rock hurtling down from above...the rock will pass right through the foam, which is designed to absorb impact (i.e. against a car windshield) by splitting apart, and into your skull

the only kind of helmet that would offer full protection is not a design conducive to climbing
That is quite the statement!
How come then that they all (apart from problem cases) pass the relevant rock climbing helmet tests, that do involve penetration by a sharp object rom above?

This is of course only valid for the bike helmet style helmets, that are actually climbing helmets, and not real bike helmets.

And what is the ideal helmet you think of?

qwert

bill413

Dec 1, 2010, 4:37 PM
Post #59 of 65 (2113 views)
Shortcut

Re: [LostinMaine] Effectiveness of helmet in real world [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

LostinMaine wrote:
An 8 is overrated. I always prefer to carry a Fisk with me. Much more practical.

I've seen things like that in certain "intimate" movies. Not with a carabiner, though.
Blush

(This post was edited by bill413 on Dec 1, 2010, 4:37 PM)

blueeyedclimber

Dec 1, 2010, 4:43 PM
Post #60 of 65 (2108 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

majid_sabet wrote:

Uhhhhhh...........what?

blueeyedclimber

Dec 1, 2010, 4:46 PM
Post #61 of 65 (2106 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Raiden wrote:
majid_sabet wrote:
He took a whole pitch so it was about 40 meter fall however, the base was at 40 degree hill so he slide down instead of direct impact.. Also, belaying with 8 still very common in other countries but belaying with 8 where you run the rope parallel to 8 thru the biner should be done by experienced belayers.

He was on a 20m (65ft) runout? Or did he have a bunch of gear blow or something?

Whatever gear was in or was not in, becomes irrelevant when the belayer does not arrest the fall. The climber was dropped.

Josh

majid_sabet

Dec 1, 2010, 5:16 PM
Post #62 of 65 (2092 views)
Shortcut

Re: [LostinMaine] Effectiveness of helmet in real world [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

LostinMaine wrote:

[image]http://catalogue.carletonrescue.com/img/getproductimage.php?iname=3-70237608749aefc4a5029d.jpg[/image]

I had few of those and sold them over $100 on ebay used. its almost 4 lbs but popular.

milesenoell

Dec 2, 2010, 7:14 AM
Post #63 of 65 (2009 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Jesus, I just Googled them and saw a number of them for over 160 bucks each. Do they charge extra just because it looks so ridiculous?

Seriously, they can't be that much harder to make than an 8, can they?

LostinMaine

Dec 3, 2010, 2:30 AM
Post #64 of 65 (1949 views)
Shortcut

Re: [milesenoell] Effectiveness of helmet in real world [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

milesenoell wrote:
Jesus, I just Googled them and saw a number of them for over 160 bucks each. Do they charge extra just because it looks so ridiculous?

If you're talking about the Fisk, it is because it's a huge hunk of steel that is ANSI certified for tower climbing and rescue.

It's in my tower climbing pack at all times and is one of the most useful descending gizmos ever.

majid_sabet

Dec 3, 2010, 4:50 AM
Post #65 of 65 (1923 views)
Shortcut

Re: [milesenoell] Effectiveness of helmet in real world [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

milesenoell wrote:

dude

you got to trust me

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook