RSS FeedRSS Feeds for General

Premier Sponsor:

rainman0915

Dec 17, 2010, 6:01 AM
Post #1 of 4 (1064 views)
Shortcut

Utah Vs. Joshua Tree grades
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

Hey, just wondering how the Utah grades compare to Joshua tree grades. I am only wondering because i dont have very long to climb utah sand stone and i want to know what to throw myself at.

byran

Dec 17, 2010, 6:31 AM
Post #2 of 4 (1048 views)
Shortcut

Re: [rainman0915] Utah Vs. Joshua Tree grades [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

They're more or less the same. Josh tends to have bouldery cruxes, and the stuff in Zion and Moab/IC will test your endurance and crack technique more. But if you're climbing 5.10's in Josh, you should aim to do some 5.10's in Utah.

dbogardus

Dec 17, 2010, 1:36 PM
Post #3 of 4 (999 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

rainman0915 wrote:
Hey, just wondering how the Utah grades compare to Joshua tree grades. I am only wondering because i dont have very long to climb utah sand stone and i want to know what to throw myself at.

JTree is soft...

Shocked

Partner camhead

Dec 17, 2010, 2:35 PM
Post #4 of 4 (979 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

rainman0915 wrote:

The grades don't immediately transition from one to another very easily. If you tell what your strengths/favorite climbs in Jtree are, I could suggest some similar ones at Indian Creek.

But yeah, like Bryan said, Jtree rewards foot/smearing technique, footwork, and power more, Indian Creek rewards pure crack technique and endurance more. Jtree has more solid gear, but IC has closer placements.

I've seen solid Indian Creek climbers get bouted on granite, and solid granite climbers get bouted on Wingate sandstone. But, overall, the consensus among most is that Jtree grades are overall stiffer than Indian Creek grades. Equinox is way harder than Ruby's Cafe.

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook