RSS FeedRSS Feeds for General

Premier Sponsor:

enigma

Feb 6, 2011, 11:54 AM
Post #1 of 24 (3591 views)
Shortcut

Buildering For Life?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

I Have seen Spiderman and other movies where people have climbed up bridges and some buildings.
1.In todays world it would seem quite advantageous as a skill to have.
A.For example a climber friend of mine from Westchester NY was working in the world trade center back on 9/11.
B He was able to save his life and a few others by his climbing skills he was able to climb out the window on a ledge and down to safety unharmed.
and helped a few coworkers.
2 So has anyone done buildering? Photos?
3 For Fun. Just to Scale a Building you like(Have you brought equipment , ropes, gear etc?
4 What building you would like to scale if you could?

Greggle

Feb 6, 2011, 12:36 PM
Post #2 of 24 (3578 views)
Shortcut

Re: [enigma] Buildering For Life? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

enigma wrote:
I Have seen Spiderman and other movies where people have climbed up bridges and some buildings.
A.For example a climber friend of mine from Westchester NY was working in the world trade center back on 9/11.
B He was able to save his life and a few others by his climbing skills he was able to climb out the window on a ledge and down to safety unharmed.
3 For Fun. Just to Scale a Building you like(Have you brought equipment , ropes, gear etc?

What about the Archimedes relief on the Abercrombie building at Rice University? Does this count?

I didn't save any lives, but, if the ladies restroom, on which I intruded necessarily as a matter of my 'descent,' was in peril, you can bet I would've have answered the call of duty!

And that's no small feat; those louvers are a bitch!

kachoong

Feb 6, 2011, 2:58 PM
Post #3 of 24 (3542 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

enigma wrote:

Ever heard the name Alain Robert?

macblaze

Feb 6, 2011, 5:46 PM
Post #4 of 24 (3496 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

enigma wrote:

I have seen Spiderman and other movies where people have climbed up bridges and some buildings.

1. In today's world it would seem quite advantageous a skill to have.

For example a climber friend of mine from Westchester, NY was working in the world trade center back on 9/11. He was able to save his life as well as a few others with his climbing skills: he was able to climb out the window on a ledge and then down to safety unharmed and he helped a few coworkers.

2. So has anyone done buildering? Photos? For fun, did you just to scale a building you like (what equipment did you bring, ropes, gear etc.)?

3. What building you would like to scale if you could?

[Edited (badly I admit) for intelligibility]

Bats

Feb 6, 2011, 6:01 PM
Post #5 of 24 (3485 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Greggle] Buildering For Life? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I've done Archimedes @ Rice U. then I had to get off fast, because campus police was coming. It was a nice limestone relief. I do like that huge granite slab in the courtyard. No documentations of the buildering that I have done for fear of persecution.

jbro_135

Feb 6, 2011, 10:24 PM
Post #6 of 24 (3413 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

enigma wrote:

you are full of shit

enigma

Feb 7, 2011, 12:57 AM
Post #7 of 24 (3358 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Bats] Buildering For Life? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Bats wrote:
I've done Archimedes @ Rice U. then I had to get off fast, because campus police was coming. It was a nice limestone relief. I do like that huge granite slab in the courtyard. No documentations of the buildering that I have done for fear of persecution.

Cool

wwalt822

Feb 7, 2011, 4:20 AM
Post #8 of 24 (3312 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jbro_135] Buildering For Life? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

jbro_135 wrote:
enigma wrote:

you are full of shit

This story raise my eyebrows in suspicion as well. the only reason to go out on a ledge would have been if he was above the fires which means that he should have written a book or a made for TV movie by now.

dreday3000

Feb 7, 2011, 5:04 AM
Post #9 of 24 (3298 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

poor form

enigma

Feb 7, 2011, 5:37 AM
Post #10 of 24 (3283 views)
Shortcut

Re: [wwalt822] Buildering For Life? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

wwalt822 wrote:
jbro_135 wrote:
enigma wrote:

you are full of shit

This story raise my eyebrows in suspicion as well. the only reason to go out on a ledge would have been if he was above the fires which means that he should have written a book or a made for TV movie by now.

He wasn't on a top floor he was on a low floor.He was terribly traumatized afterwards, he didn't want to leave his home or climb. He was very lucky and he knew that as well.
FYI not all people use a horrific incident that occurs in their life as a means to capitalize on it.
As a New Yorker our hearts went out to people that lived in the WTC area, we gave them homes and help. The air was covered in asbestos, I lived at the time about 1 hour away, and I spoke to alot of people who witnessed dismembered bodies and loss.
As part of that community we don't want any terrorists nearby ever again.

I believe buildering could save your life, in a incident of fire , or to escape.

This thread was written in addition for those climbers who do it for fun.

notapplicable

Feb 7, 2011, 6:07 AM
Post #11 of 24 (3262 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

enigma wrote:

enigma

Feb 7, 2011, 6:08 AM
Post #12 of 24 (3258 views)
Shortcut

Re: [kachoong] Buildering For Life? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

kachoong wrote:
enigma wrote:

Ever heard the name Alain Robert?

Pretty Impressive , I heard of him and am looking at his website.
Have you seen him solo any buildings?

enigma

Feb 7, 2011, 7:40 AM
Post #13 of 24 (3241 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Greggle] Buildering For Life? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Greggle wrote:
enigma wrote:

What about the Archimedes relief on the Abercrombie building at Rice University? Does this count?

I didn't save any lives, but, if the ladies restroom, on which I intruded necessarily as a matter of my 'descent,' was in peril, you can bet I would've have answered the call of duty!

And that's no small feat; those louvers are a bitch!

Pictures??? Photos? Angelic Counts

chadnsc

Feb 7, 2011, 3:55 PM
Post #14 of 24 (3175 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

enigma wrote:

I can't find the words to properly express my utter revulsion at your attempt to falsely 'befriend' your way into 9/11.

Poor form, even for a big ball-o-crazy like you.

naitch

Feb 7, 2011, 4:50 PM
Post #15 of 24 (3150 views)
Shortcut

Re: [chadnsc] Buildering For Life? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

My son, <clears throat>, um...ah...has a been involved, ah...a bit, with buildering and documenting it. Here's two documentaries he made while at university:

http://jessespaulding.com/Buildering.html>

http://jessespaulding.com/The_Pumkin_Man.html

potreroed

Feb 7, 2011, 5:14 PM
Post #16 of 24 (3142 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I used to do tons of buildering on a building at the University of Wisconsin in Whitewater. The building had hundreds of feet of rock walls for traversing on tiny holds, as well as roofs, chimneys, bear-hugs, laybacks. Unfortunately, when they remodelled and expanded the building they eliminated 90% of the climbable features.

enigma

Feb 7, 2011, 10:31 PM
Post #17 of 24 (3066 views)
Shortcut

Re: [naitch] Buildering For Life? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

naitch wrote:
My son, <clears throat>, um...ah...has a been involved, ah...a bit, with buildering and documenting it. Here's two documentaries he made while at university:

Thanks for the link the jessepaulding.com 2nd one was very impressive. He has some beautiful photography. Looks like you got him into climbing and chose to buildering as well.

My friend that survived 9/11 was a active climber and was on a low floor . As a New Yorker I am especially sensitive to the terrorists that destroyed the World Trade Center and the area around, and devastated many lives.
It is unimaginable to try to understand the fear and complete terror that never will be forgotten or forgiven .
Once again survival skills whether its buildering or underground safe basements are a reality in this environment.
It is lucky my friend was able to climb even out of a low floor with the panic that set in on 9/11
( Any negative remarks should be kept to yourself. I am a New Yorker and lived there during that time, and am sensitive to the loss and shock)

enigma

Feb 7, 2011, 10:35 PM
Post #18 of 24 (3060 views)
Shortcut

Re: [potreroed] Buildering For Life? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

potreroed wrote:
I used to do tons of buildering on a building at the University of Wisconsin in Whitewater. The building had hundreds of feet of rock walls for traversing on tiny holds, as well as roofs, chimneys, bear-hugs, laybacks. Unfortunately, when they remodelled and expanded the building they eliminated 90% of the climbable features.

Thanks for the link, I'll check it out. Buildering is fun and a great survival skill.

wwalt822

Feb 7, 2011, 11:24 PM
Post #19 of 24 (3029 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Why couldn't he take the stairs like everyone else?

jbro_135

Feb 8, 2011, 3:09 AM
Post #20 of 24 (2999 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

enigma wrote:
naitch wrote:

Thanks for the link the jessepaulding.com 2nd one was very impressive. He has some beautiful photography. Looks like you got him into climbing and chose to buildering as well.

My friend that survived 9/11 was a active climber and was on a low floor . As a New Yorker I am especially sensitive to the terrorists that destroyed the World Trade Center and the area around, and devastated many lives.
It is unimaginable to try to understand the fear and complete terror that never will be forgotten or forgiven .
Once again survival skills whether its buildering or underground safe basements are a reality in this environment.
It is lucky my friend was able to climb even out of a low floor with the panic that set in on 9/11
( Any negative remarks should be kept to yourself. I am a New Yorker and lived there during that time, and am sensitive to the loss and shock)

Jtree is in new york? maybe i need a geography lesson

BULLSHIT BULLSHIT BULLSHIT

enigma

Feb 8, 2011, 4:12 AM
Post #21 of 24 (2985 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jbro_135] Buildering For Life? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

jbro_135 wrote:
enigma wrote:
naitch wrote:

Maybe a READING COMPREHENSION CLASS- I am from NY. I grew up there, went to hs, college, worked there then I moved about 1 hour north of NY.
If you look at my profile, I climbed at the Gunks in New Paltz NY,
The climber I reference worked in NYC and lived in Westchester NY. He was in the World Trade Center working when 9/11 occurred.
He managed to climb out of a window, he was terribly traumatized , he stopped doing everything afterwards. He was devastated by the horrific events. I I lived about 1 hour away from the WTC in 2001, I knew alot of people who lost friends, family and had to relocated. As a community we helped the area was unhealthy due to asbestos.
My climber friend was suffering enough, he was in shock and didn't want to leave his apartment or his daughter for months afterwards.
In 2002 I drove across the country to the west coast, and climbed in various areas on my profile. I spent the summer on a 4 month road trip.
I did visit Joshua Tree a few times before I relocated out here for vacations. In addition once I moved to California I went to Joshua Tree for climbing and other areas in the west coast , and Squamish in Canada.
I don't care if you believe me or not. I am a New Yorker and in my heart and soul this is the truth. Why didn't my friend climb out the window, I don't know but it was a panic situation. People are trying to escape and he was lucky to be alive.

spikeddem

Feb 8, 2011, 5:15 AM
Post #22 of 24 (2961 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

enigma wrote:
jbro_135 wrote:
enigma wrote:
naitch wrote:

Maybe a READING COMPREHENSION CLASS- I am from NY. I grew up there, went to hs, college, worked there then I moved about 1 hour north of NY.
The climber I reference worked in NYC and lived in Westchester NY. He was in the World Trade Center working when 9/11 occurred.
He managed to climb out of a window, he was terribly traumatized , he stopped doing everything afterwards. He was devastated by the horrific events. I I lived about 1 hour away from the WTC in 2001, I knew alot of people who lost friends, family and had to relocated. As a community we helped the area was unhealthy due to asbestos.
My climber friend was suffering enough, he was in shock and didn't want to leave his apartment or his daughter for months afterwards.
In 2002 I drove across the country to the west coast, and climbed in various areas on my profile. I spent the summer on a 4 month road trip.
I did visit Joshua Tree a few times before I relocated out here for vacations. In addition once I moved to California I went to Joshua Tree for climbing and other areas in the west coast , and Squamish in Canada.
I don't care if you believe me or not. I am a New Yorker and in my heart and soul this is the truth. Why didn't my friend climb out the window, I don't know but it was a panic situation. People are trying to escape and he was lucky to be alive.
You seriously build anchors and stuff?

cmagee1

Feb 8, 2011, 8:17 AM
Post #23 of 24 (2942 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Ive never seriously "buildered," but we climb a few smaller buildings around on slow days. Not a lot of crags readily accessible in the Portland area.

enigma

Feb 8, 2011, 8:58 AM
Post #24 of 24 (2937 views)
Shortcut

Re: [spikeddem] Buildering For Life? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

spikeddem wrote:
enigma wrote:
jbro_135 wrote:
enigma wrote:
naitch wrote:

You seriously build anchors and stuff?

I even have my own webbing and carabiners, I had one of those wonderful jt classes on building anchors.
Most of the time I follow trad since most climbers like to lead their top level and I can follow and clean.
I can lead easier climbs but its not terribly important to me, and I have no health insurance.

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook