RSS FeedRSS Feeds for General

Premier Sponsor:

Wendy

Feb 15, 2011, 10:49 PM
Post #1 of 7 (1136 views)
Shortcut

kalymnos advice!
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

If you've been to Kalymnos, can you tell me: how important is it to have a scooter? We're looking for accommodations in or near Massouri, close to climbing - will we still want a scooter for getting around? Should we book one in advance (because mid april to early may is the high season)? Or should we rent as we need?

Any info you can provide would be helpful! Thanks.

thomasribiere

Feb 15, 2011, 11:21 PM
Post #2 of 7 (1110 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Wendy] kalymnos advice! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Scooter are frequently used but you can as well rent a bike (not a motorbike...), walk, or take the bus for 75% of the crags. It's cheaper, less noisy (scooters are a mess IMO), and less polluting. For further crags (Sikati cave), a scooter or why not a ver small can be necessary.

You can just book the evening before instead of renting for 15 days as it is not necessary...
- you can walk within 45 minutes from Massouri to all crags from Poets to North Cape through Odissey and Grande Grotta and School...
- you can rent (Best Moto in Massouri, 5 euros a day) and ride a bicycle another day (to all crags around Arginonda, like Arhi, Sea Breeze, Ghost Kitchen...) : they are btw 20 and 40 minutes from Massouri.
- take the bus (one every hour) to Kantouni (10 minutes, 2 euros F&B), then take the path over the sea to go to Monastery by example.
- rent a small car or a scooter to go to Sikati Cave or Emporios or eat some fish in the distant harbour of Vathy...

As you can see, I'm not fond of scooters, but they are so many different nice possibilities to move on Kalymnos...

Enjoy.

Arrogant_Bastard

Feb 16, 2011, 1:06 AM
Post #3 of 7 (1087 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Just go to Malibu Creek. It's closer and there's no French people there.

Kstenson

Feb 16, 2011, 1:57 AM
Post #4 of 7 (1061 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Arrogant_Bastard] kalymnos advice! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Even worse, its full of Americans

mattm

Feb 16, 2011, 3:51 AM
Post #5 of 7 (1041 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Did part of my honeymoon there. Stayed in the southern part of Masouri at the big hotel. (When I go back I'll find a nice studio). We rented two scooters from a place pretty much across the street from the hotel. Looked brand new. Can't remember exactly how much but it was "Cheap" to me for 5 days. We didn't have reservations and did fine in early May but who knows if we lucked out. I think scooters are ESSENTIAL. This may be my 'merican point of view but hear me out.

1) They're damn fun. We had a smile on our faces zipping all over the place.
2) Being on the southern part of the "tourist" most of the cliffs were not within "happy honeymoon" walking distance.
3) They're awesome for exploring all over the island. It wasn't just a climbing trip so we took trips all over the island. North to Emporios, over to the markets in Pothia etc etc. Yeah you can do the bus but the scooters just gave you this cool "wind in your hair freedom".

The sun hits in the afternoon and gets HOT. We'd climb in the morning into late lunch then grab a shower and go explore. Great Times.

As to noise and pollution. EVERYONE uses a scooter. Locals are insane with their driving on them. 5 days of scootering all over (we cruised around a fair amount) and we probably used 3 gallons of gas total. The little 50cc ones we rented get like 110mpg! I really wanted to buy one when we got back to the USA.

Scooter is Highly recommended.

(This post was edited by mattm on Feb 16, 2011, 4:04 AM)

thomasribiere

Feb 16, 2011, 10:50 PM
Post #6 of 7 (988 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Arrogant_Bastard] kalymnos advice! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Arrogant_Bastard wrote:
Bastard! Cool

snoopy138

Feb 16, 2011, 11:30 PM
Post #7 of 7 (974 views)
Shortcut

Re: [thomasribiere] kalymnos advice! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

thomasribiere wrote:
Arrogant_Bastard wrote:
Bastard! Cool

Stay out of Malibu, deadbeat!

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook