Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

kinz

Feb 24, 2011, 6:05 AM
Post #26 of 61 (4472 views)
Shortcut

Re: [majid_sabet] Gym Staff Issue [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

thank you guang and spike. represent!

enigma

Feb 24, 2011, 6:52 AM
Post #27 of 61 (4453 views)
Shortcut

Re: [thefoobar] Gym Staff Issue [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

thefoobar wrote:
shockabuku wrote:
I would have a hard time arguing with her when she's technically correct.

Yes she is technically correct, I agree. It's more the specific situational aspects (being condescending mainly) that are the problem.

Ok, I think either Sue is better at climbing than you, right ????or has rejected you in some personal way, or the owners like her better than you.
After all you are just volunteers, so leave and go to another gym, or go help an outdoor crag with clean up and routes, or bolts . Are you getting some school credit for this? Are you doing this to be able to climb for free?
Its impossible to work in an environment where everyone is going to get along and be friends. Especially in a climbing gym. How old are you? How old is Sue?

thefoobar

Feb 24, 2011, 7:35 AM
Post #28 of 61 (4444 views)
Shortcut

Re: [MasterOfKungFu] Gym Staff Issue [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

MasterOfKungFu wrote:
OP, you may have one of those people. When you have one of those people, there is nothing you can do.
NOTHING

Yeap.

thefoobar

Feb 24, 2011, 8:13 AM
Post #29 of 61 (4436 views)
Shortcut

Re: [enigma] Gym Staff Issue [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

enigma wrote:
Ok, I think either Sue is better at climbing than you, right ????

Negative. Sue: 5.7-8 climber, and never climbed outside as far as I can tell. She's never joined anyone for a weekend trip that I know of (or anyone else can think of). Maybe she sneaks off by herself to solo some stuff?

Me: 5.11 climber (outside/inside). 5.12 on a really good day or with lots of rehearsal. Climbed all over the country... short stuff, hard stuff, long stuff (~1000 feet). Been training for some bigwall off and on. Main routesetter at the gym as well.

Obviously there's nothing wrong with maxing out at 5.8. And, I never base climbing experience on how hard one climbs though. One of my best climbing partners, and basically my mentor through my initial trad learning years, maxes out at 5.8 in the gym, climbs 5.8 on gear in the Gunks, has been climbing for 20+ years, and can outrig and outleadhead me any day.

enigma wrote:
or has rejected you in some personal way,

I think that's the one. See below for more.

enigma wrote:
or the owners like her better than you.

Not sure about that one. I was made a sort of unofficial purchasing manager and was responsible for equipment and hold ordering for our new piece of climbing wall we added last year. This sort of thing is probably one aspect of many as to the personal rejection. I've been around for a much shorter time than her and have 'climbed the ranks' (pun intended), to top tiers of the facility. Sue on the other hand has no official (or unofficial) position other than belay slave. None of us have any documented positions though.

enigma wrote:
After all you are just volunteers, so leave and go to another gym, or go help an outdoor crag with clean up and routes, or bolts . Are you getting some school credit for this? Are you doing this to be able to climb for free?

Another gym... *cry*. This is the closest one and it's ~40 minutes away. The next one is almost two hours. I shouldn't complain really, it's a really nice facility with lots of great people, and I get to climb, work out and swim for free.

enigma wrote:
Its impossible to work in an environment where everyone is going to get along and be friends. Especially in a climbing gym.

Yeap.... I know how it goes. I've had enough jobs that I always run into that one person that I don't mesh well with.

The weird thing is she has little gettogethers outside of the gym to host dinner, hang out, play games, etc. I've been to several. She is totally normal, friendly, and without an ego outside of the gym.

enigma wrote:
How old are you? How old is Sue?

28. I think Sue is something like 25.

Ridiculous right? I'm almost 30 and I'm posting to a board, ranting about personality squabbles like it's elementary school.

P.S.
Just the other day Sue was scolding this 5 year old about 'not holding onto the rope if no one is there to belay'. Which is fine and dandy on principal... you don't want the little ones to get caught up in a rope and get hurt. But Sue has this tendency to have this 'strict parenting' style of instruction to the patrons. The kid had this poor 'oh crap, what did I do' expression. As if she was about to be grounded. (To give you an idea of the scolding style).

Take that same style and apply it to a ~20 year old patron. "Hey you! No hands above the first panel for bouldering!" (which isn't a gym rule.. the gym rules actually allow for higher bouldering). People get pissed... quickly... with that type of behavior.

enigma

Feb 24, 2011, 9:21 AM
Post #30 of 61 (4425 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

thefoobar wrote:
enigma wrote:
Ok, I think either Sue is better at climbing than you, right ????

Negative. Sue: 5.7-8 climber, and never climbed outside as far as I can tell. She's never joined anyone for a weekend trip that I know of (or anyone else can think of). Maybe she sneaks off by herself to solo some stuff?

Me: 5.11 climber (outside/inside). 5.12 on a really good day or with lots of rehearsal. Climbed all over the country... short stuff, hard stuff, long stuff (~1000 feet). Been training for some bigwall off and on. Main routesetter at the gym as well.

Obviously there's nothing wrong with maxing out at 5.8. And, I never base climbing experience on how hard one climbs though. One of my best climbing partners, and basically my mentor through my initial trad learning years, maxes out at 5.8 in the gym, climbs 5.8 on gear in the Gunks, has been climbing for 20+ years, and can outrig and outleadhead me any day.

enigma wrote:
or has rejected you in some personal way,

I think that's the one. See below for more.

enigma wrote:
or the owners like her better than you.

Not sure about that one. I was made a sort of unofficial purchasing manager and was responsible for equipment and hold ordering for our new piece of climbing wall we added last year. This sort of thing is probably one aspect of many as to the personal rejection. I've been around for a much shorter time than her and have 'climbed the ranks' (pun intended), to top tiers of the facility. Sue on the other hand has no official (or unofficial) position other than belay slave. None of us have any documented positions though.

enigma wrote:

Another gym... *cry*. This is the closest one and it's ~40 minutes away. The next one is almost two hours. I shouldn't complain really, it's a really nice facility with lots of great people, and I get to climb, work out and swim for free.

enigma wrote:
Its impossible to work in an environment where everyone is going to get along and be friends. Especially in a climbing gym.

Yeap.... I know how it goes. I've had enough jobs that I always run into that one person that I don't mesh well with.

The weird thing is she has little gettogethers outside of the gym to host dinner, hang out, play games, etc. I've been to several. She is totally normal, friendly, and without an ego outside of the gym.

enigma wrote:
How old are you? How old is Sue?

28. I think Sue is something like 25.

Ridiculous right? I'm almost 30 and I'm posting to a board, ranting about personality squabbles like it's elementary school.

P.S.
Just the other day Sue was scolding this 5 year old about 'not holding onto the rope if no one is there to belay'. Which is fine and dandy on principal... you don't want the little ones to get caught up in a rope and get hurt. But Sue has this tendency to have this 'strict parenting' style of instruction to the patrons. The kid had this poor 'oh crap, what did I do' expression. As if she was about to be grounded. (To give you an idea of the scolding style).

Take that same style and apply it to a ~20 year old patron. "Hey you! No hands above the first panel for bouldering!" (which isn't a gym rule.. the gym rules actually allow for higher bouldering). People get pissed... quickly... with that type of behavior.

Ok, After careful through analysis, yes Sue is probably somewhat jealous of your better climbing ability and rank in the company.

However, you are getting free climbing and swimming. Which would be fantastic for both of you if you were teenagers.
Not wanting to max out my questions, I think you should be working towards a career or better working and getting paid somewhere. If you are in college or grad school that might explain why you are volunteering in a gym . Or perhaps you are a lucky trust fund baby and will never have to work.
Unless you were hoping to become a pro-climber or a full-time dirt bag climber , the first well you know 5.14, the second is still the last option. Which is fine, especially if you have financial support from family for this type of endeavor.
Maybe something on the side will take your mind off these little nuances, like a thesis, or a career, a mortgage,bills, car payment, insurance bills etc. etc. HAVE FUN , easy on Sue Tongue

thefoobar

Feb 24, 2011, 3:42 PM
Post #31 of 61 (4415 views)
Shortcut

Re: [enigma] Gym Staff Issue [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

enigma wrote:
Ok, After careful through analysis, yes Sue is probably somewhat jealous of your better climbing ability and rank in the company.

However, you are getting free climbing and swimming. Which would be fantastic for both of you if you were teenagers.

Or, maybe a poor serial entrepreneur?

enigma wrote:
Not wanting to max out my questions,

I think you have three left :P

enigma wrote:
I think you should be working towards a career or better working and getting paid somewhere. If you are in college or grad school that might explain why you are volunteering in a gym . Or perhaps you are a lucky trust fund baby and will never have to work.

I'm currently working on building up a startup and working my ass off. Barely making enough to buy food and etc. (Things are looking really well for the next few months though). The free climbing a few times a week is a huge part of my extra curricular activities.

enigma wrote:
Unless you were hoping to become a pro-climber or a full-time dirt bag climber , the first well you know 5.14, the second is still the last option. Which is fine, especially if you have financial support from family for this type of endeavor.

I'm currently aspiring to become a full time dirtbagger again. Or maybe even part time. I did the dirtbag thing on a 6 month road trip (in between startups) several years back... that was totally awesome.

enigma wrote:
Maybe something on the side will take your mind off these little nuances, like a thesis, or a career, a mortgage,bills, car payment, insurance bills etc. etc. HAVE FUN , easy on Sue Tongue

Climbing is my something on the side to take my mind off of work... heh. I didn't think I would ever need to find something to take my mind of off something climbing related... I climb to relax.

Toast_in_the_Machine

Feb 24, 2011, 5:24 PM
Post #32 of 61 (4397 views)
Shortcut

Re: [spikeddem] Gym Staff Issue [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

spikeddem wrote:
I'm curious who this is now.

It's someone that posts here normally, climbs trad, sport, and boulders. Has been a member since around 2003-2004. More revealingly, he/she puts effort into his/her typing and the appearance/readability of the post.

We've got full line breaks, and background information. Moreover, the ellipses all have just three periods (except for one, perhaps a typo). It's possible they've been slightly overused, but not as heavily overused as we have seen from some rc kn0b'ers.

We have a mix of both centimeters and inches, which doesn't help too much, but does perhaps suggest that this person has a job or studies a science related topic. In fact, the only people in the world that really mix centimeters and inches in their words are American scientists.

The heat is on.

We need to use the writing style analyzer from the codefrog thread

vegastradguy

Feb 24, 2011, 7:05 PM
Post #33 of 61 (4378 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Toast_in_the_Machine] Gym Staff Issue [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (3 ratings)  
Can't Post

hey thefoodbar, dont feed enigma, it only makes her stronger.

saint_john

Feb 24, 2011, 7:15 PM
Post #34 of 61 (4373 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

There is only one reason thefoobar would dedicate this much time ranting about this woman: HE'S IN LOVE WITH HER

thefoobar

Feb 26, 2011, 5:53 PM
Post #35 of 61 (4303 views)
Shortcut

Re: [saint_john] Gym Staff Issue [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

saint_john wrote:
There is only one reason thefoobar would dedicate this much time ranting about this woman: HE'S IN LOVE WITH HER

Hah... I wish... well... no, probably not.

Another incident happened yesterday. The last straw so to say. Management has been informed. I have a response and a scheduled meeting.

------------

I do recognize the problem and have been thinking about how to deal with the situation.

I believe Sue has had similar problems in her work and school life that have not ended in her favor.

-Management

vegastradguy

Feb 26, 2011, 7:29 PM
Post #36 of 61 (4291 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

thefoobar wrote:
saint_john wrote:

Another incident happened yesterday. The last straw so to say. Management has been informed. I have a response and a scheduled meeting.

at this point, the appropriate thing to do is keep everything that is said between you and management to yourself.

guangzhou

Feb 27, 2011, 6:37 AM
Post #37 of 61 (4255 views)
Shortcut

Re: [vegastradguy] Gym Staff Issue [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

vegastradguy wrote:
thefoobar wrote:
saint_john wrote:

Very true

at this point, the appropriate thing to do is keep everything that is said between you and management to yourself.

guangzhou

Feb 27, 2011, 6:39 AM
Post #38 of 61 (4253 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

thefoobar wrote:
saint_john wrote:

------------

I do recognize the problem and have been thinking about how to deal with the situation.

I believe Sue has had similar problems in her work and school life that have not ended in her favor.

-Management

If I werethe manager or owner of the gym you're referring too, I would fire you for sharing this email.

You have something against her and you're out to get her anyway you can.

Your behavior by posting the email reply is extremely unprofessional.

Toast_in_the_Machine

Feb 27, 2011, 3:00 PM
Post #39 of 61 (4213 views)
Shortcut

Re: [guangzhou] Gym Staff Issue [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

guangzhou wrote:
thefoobar wrote:
saint_john wrote:

------------

-Management

If I werethe manager or owner of the gym you're referring too, I would fire you for sharing this email.

Assume every email, im, photo, or video will end up on the interweb. If you are in a public space, assume you are being filmed, because you probably are being filmed.

guangzhou

Feb 28, 2011, 2:26 AM
Post #40 of 61 (4176 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Toast_in_the_Machine wrote:
guangzhou wrote:
thefoobar wrote:
saint_john wrote:

------------

-Management

Assume every email, im, photo, or video will end up on the interweb. If you are in a public space, assume you are being filmed, because you probably are being filmed.

I am not that paranoid, but I also expect a certain amount of professionalism from my staff and employees.

Toast_in_the_Machine

Feb 28, 2011, 1:24 PM
Post #41 of 61 (4144 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

guangzhou wrote:
guangzhou wrote:
thefoobar wrote:
saint_john wrote:

------------

-Management

I am not that paranoid, but I also expect a certain amount of professionalism from my staff and employees.

It isn't a question of being paranoid or not, it is more a statement about the times we live in.

As for this example, you get what you pay for.

Also I find it interesting that "professionalism" contains a bit of "keep you mouth shut about other peoples bad behavior". Isn't exposing bad behavior more professionall not less?

Gmburns2000

Feb 28, 2011, 2:15 PM
Post #42 of 61 (4137 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

guangzhou wrote:
guangzhou wrote:
thefoobar wrote:
saint_john wrote:

------------

-Management

It isn't a question of being paranoid or not, it is more a statement about the times we live in.

Also I find it interesting that "professionalism" contains a bit of "keep you mouth shut about other peoples bad behavior". Isn't exposing bad behavior more professionall not less?

I don't think the complaint as originally posted was seen as unprofessional. It was the posting of his boss's e-mail that was viewed as unprofessional. The boss's e-mail was not bad behavior, therefore it has nothing to do with the point.

sungam

Feb 28, 2011, 2:35 PM
Post #43 of 61 (4132 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

guangzhou wrote:
thefoobar wrote:
saint_john wrote:

------------

-Management

EFFFFFFFFFFF OHHHHHHHHHHH AYYYYYYEEEE

Toast_in_the_Machine

Feb 28, 2011, 9:15 PM
Post #44 of 61 (4091 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Gmburns2000] Gym Staff Issue [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Gmburns2000 wrote:
guangzhou wrote:
guangzhou wrote:
thefoobar wrote:
saint_john wrote:

------------

-Management

I don't think the complaint as originally posted was seen as unprofessional. It was the posting of his boss's e-mail that was viewed as unprofessional. The boss's e-mail was not bad behavior, therefore it has nothing to do with the point.

There are only two people who would know if that segment of a post represents part of a real email. Personally I aassumed it was a paraphrase of a conversation when I first read it.

vegastradguy

Feb 28, 2011, 10:16 PM
Post #45 of 61 (4078 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

@toast-

either way, professional courtesy makes this an in-house issue, not an internet one. he aired his grievances publicly (in-house would have been better), then in-house, and now the employer should have an opportunity to deal with it in-house rather than have it aired across the internet live as it happens.

Toast_in_the_Machine

Feb 28, 2011, 10:57 PM
Post #46 of 61 (4069 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

vegastradguy wrote:
@toast-

either way, professional courtesy makes this an in-house issue, not an internet one. he aired his grievances publicly (in-house would have been better), then in-house, and now the employer should have an opportunity to deal with it in-house rather than have it aired across the internet live as it happens.

Part of the joy of the internet age its the blur between public and private. If our longtime poster had buried this in the scummunity would out make it private? Would a private facebook group make it private? An annonymouse post on a non climbing board? Given that no one has gone thru the trouble to guess who the poster is, it is still a private matter.

We have no dates, time, location, or real names. I don't see how this is a public matter.

vegastradguy

Mar 1, 2011, 12:08 AM
Post #47 of 61 (4054 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

vegastradguy wrote:
@toast-

Part of the joy of the internet age its the blur between public and private. If our longtime poster had buried this in the scummunity would out make it private? Would a private facebook group make it private? An annonymouse post on a non climbing board? Given that no one has gone thru the trouble to guess who the poster is, it is still a private matter.

We have no dates, time, location, or real names. I don't see how this is a public matter.

i suppose, but i find it to be in extremely bad taste regardless.

guangzhou

Mar 1, 2011, 12:51 AM
Post #48 of 61 (4048 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have to agree with the above, I don't see anything about the original post, what I found unprofessional was posting the internal email of this gym's operation.

Personally, I think the OP is the only who is truly bother by this individual, everyone else just seems to except her. I get the feeling this is more of a personal grudge.

Back on on the email posting, if I had sent that to one of my employees and he posted it online, I would lose trust in that person. If I can't trust your confidentiality, then I wouldn't want you working for me.

It's not your gym, you're not the manager, so if the manager and the owners are fine with the way things are going, and you have spoken, emailed , or communicated with them you grievances about the situation and they don't think they need to take any action, you have couple of choice.

QUIT

Continue to work there and put up with it.

Either way, the choice to be there or not is yours.

Gmburns2000

Mar 1, 2011, 2:05 AM
Post #49 of 61 (4035 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

vegastradguy wrote:
@toast-

I would have a hard time sharing an e-mail like that. Would I talk about it with friends? Maybe, if they weren't in any way connected with anyone could possibly be involved, but I wouldn't e-mail it. One never knows.

Yeah, we don't know who this person is, but I bet if an anonymous poster posted something about me then I'd figure it out. You not knowing who it is doesn't matter. If the manager happens to be an anonymous poster or lurker here on rc.com then the OP could be found out.

In my mind, that's just really poor professionalism. Just like anyone else, I've bitched about work publicly, but there is a line, and I think sharing what is fairly commonly deemed private is not a good idea. The fact that he posted it and it can be purported as being good for him I think is also rather strange.

Regarding if that was a paraphrase or actual e-mail: read my second paragraph, particularly the part about the potential of the boss being a lurker.

Toast_in_the_Machine

Mar 1, 2011, 3:04 AM
Post #50 of 61 (4024 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

guangzhou wrote:
I have to agree with the above, I don't see anything about the original post, what I found unprofessional was posting the internal email of this gym's operation.

Personally, I think the OP is the only who is truly bother by this individual, everyone else just seems to except her. I get the feeling this is more of a personal grudge.

Back on on the email posting, if I had sent that to one of my employees and he posted it online, I would lose trust in that person. If I can't trust your confidentiality, then I wouldn't want you working for me.

It's not your gym, you're not the manager, so if the manager and the owners are fine with the way things are going, and you have spoken, emailed , or communicated with them you grievances about the situation and they don't think they need to take any action, you have couple of choice.

QUIT

Continue to work there and put up with it.

Either way, the choice to be there or not is yours.

I go back to a leadership seminar I was at a few years back and the advice given was "the boss never has a bad day". You can have problems, issues, even a crisis, but never a bad day. The shadow a leader casts sets what a whole business achieves. With the technology the way it is today, the shadow doesn't stop at the door, it extends well beyond. Your customers know how you treat your employees because the information on it won't be contained. It can't. Neither the employee nor the employer should ever presume that anything stored electronic is confidential. Just as everything in public is being filmed. Both employer and employe should assume their bad behavior will not be hidden.

As for the just quit logic, life its not so simple. We are citizens of the world, let us not pretend we are otherwise.

And from a peer, the advice of quit or shut up is OK. From a boss it is bullying.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Indoor Gyms

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook