Forums: Climbing Information: General:
Having a fire while bouldering, and other bad ideas.
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for General

Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

slavetogravity

Mar 5, 2011, 8:25 PM
Post #1 of 27 (6540 views)
Shortcut

Having a fire while bouldering, and other bad ideas.
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (9 ratings)  
Can't Post

So there's this popular boulder traverse in my home town of Vernon British Columbia. Local climbers have been running laps on this thing since the late 80's. It's in a Provincial Park which closes to vehicle traffic in winter. Because the traverse is tucked under a large over hanging the crag stays out of the rain or snow and is a welcoming spot when the conditions are less so.
The other day I'm on line and I come across this photo and I think WTF?! Do my eyes deceive me or has that place gotten trashed? I recall a time in the early 90's when I would go to the traverse and find broken glass from smashed beer bottles strewn about the rock. I'd clean it up, all the while thinking of how ignorant the drunken idiots where who made the mess.
So now is it the climbers turn to be idiots?
What's the deal with climbers having fires at the base of the boulder traverse? Given that it's under an overhang you're going to have to wait for the second
coming before time cleans up the ash, not to mention the stain on the rock above from the smoke. I don't know if having a camp fire while bouldering is now a popular thing to do, because god help us if it is. So lets forget the fact that what these goof balls did was illegal, (which it is under the BC Park Act) lets instead focus on the shitty mess these guys decided to make, and encourage others to not do the same or tolerate such activity.

Thanks for taking the time to read my rant.
Aaron Kristiansen.

special_blend

Mar 6, 2011, 1:13 AM
Post #2 of 27 (6414 views)
Shortcut

Re: [slavetogravity] Having a fire while bouldering, and other bad ideas. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

That's really shitty, man. But I have a lot of prise for you for cleaning up after people and trying to respect such an amazing place.

Climbers would do well to read up on this website and try to share it with others. It's really important that we treat these spots well

http://www.leavenotrace.ca/principles

olderic

Mar 6, 2011, 1:30 AM
Post #3 of 27 (6406 views)
Shortcut

Re: [slavetogravity] Having a fire while bouldering, and other bad ideas. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

How do you know the fire was set by climbers?

Adk

Mar 6, 2011, 2:06 AM
Post #4 of 27 (6380 views)
Shortcut

Re: [olderic] Having a fire while bouldering, and other bad ideas. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (10 ratings)  
Can't Post

Never build a fire under an overhang if it's raining out!
I've built many fires under overhangs and I'm sure some of my native american ancestors did too. Shame on me and them too!!!!
Who am I to think I have the right to build a fire below an overhang thinking the next guy doesn't have the right to put chalk on holds marking the semi-virgin looking rock.
What I really hate are petroglyphs. hmmmm..yep..made a few of them myself.Tongue

Now, that glass really sucks though.Mad

slavetogravity

Mar 6, 2011, 2:16 AM
Post #5 of 27 (6369 views)
Shortcut

Re: [olderic] Having a fire while bouldering, and other bad ideas. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

olderic wrote:

Given that this area is rarely ever frequented by anyone but climbers on the warmest of days and the fact that you'll hardly ever see anyone in the Park in the winter, in addition to the photographer seemingly using the fire in the foreground of his photos to add some sort of "show em' how core we are" aesthetic, and that in other photos the climbers in questions are seen standing around the fire with close up photos of their climbing shoes warming by the fire, you right I can't prove for be 100% certain that it was they who lit the fire. Given all the facts though it sure seems suspicious.Crazy

rangerrob

Mar 6, 2011, 2:41 AM
Post #6 of 27 (6341 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Adk] Having a fire while bouldering, and other bad ideas. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (5 ratings)  
Can't Post

Adk, your reply was juvenile and pretty short sighted.

notapplicable

Mar 6, 2011, 3:24 AM
Post #7 of 27 (6317 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

That is pretty *face palm* worthy. Some people just don't think things through.

Adk

Mar 6, 2011, 12:22 PM
Post #8 of 27 (6177 views)
Shortcut

Re: [rangerrob] Having a fire while bouldering, and other bad ideas. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (4 ratings)  
Can't Post

rangerrob wrote:

Sorry.Wink
...and your contribution to the thread was WHAT?Crazy

(This post was edited by Adk on Mar 6, 2011, 12:24 PM)

marc801

Mar 6, 2011, 3:52 PM
Post #9 of 27 (6116 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (3 ratings)  
Can't Post

Adk wrote:
rangerrob wrote:

Sorry.Wink
Calling you out as a juvenile...just in case it wasn't screamingly obvious from your moronic post.

Partner camhead

Mar 6, 2011, 4:35 PM
Post #10 of 27 (6086 views)
Shortcut

Re: [marc801] Having a fire while bouldering, and other bad ideas. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

marc801 wrote:
Adk wrote:
rangerrob wrote:

Sorry.Wink
Calling you out as a juvenile...just in case it wasn't screamingly obvious from your moronic post.

Yeah, I never miss an opportunity to make fun of rangerbob, ever since he got all butthurt about me ruining Gunks climbing, and he says plenty of things on here that are worth picking on.

But in this case, he was spot on, and called you on your bullshit. Sometimes fish in barrels need to be shot, and he stepped up and did it.

Back on topic, the hard climbs at China Wall Cave in Logan Canyon, UT (home of Boone Speed's historic "Supertweak 14c"), just get doused with campfire smoke. Not so much climbers, but the cave is a very popular camping destination for Boy Scout troops. The smoke and ash reminants really make it an unpleasant place to climb.

kachoong

Mar 6, 2011, 4:43 PM
Post #11 of 27 (6083 views)
Shortcut

Re: [marc801] Having a fire while bouldering, and other bad ideas. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Come on guys, play nice. I see both sides to this. I can see Adk is trying to bring a humorus tone to the discussion but calling his post moronic isn't exactly constructive.

Adk; in my eyes, having fires at a crag is a fairly serious issue unless it's an acceptable local practise. From what I gather it's not at this crag so trying to identify causes and preventing further "vandalism" should be encouraged.

rangerrob

Mar 6, 2011, 5:28 PM
Post #12 of 27 (6060 views)
Shortcut

Re: [camhead] Having a fire while bouldering, and other bad ideas. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (5 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hey, I'm here for no other purpose than to give people like Cam a football to kick around. I have the ability to not take myself too seriously. ADK, what I meant by that comment is that you seem to trivialize our actions, as if they have no consequence. You compared climbers and people partying having a campfire to Native Americans using fire for their survival.

The fact is that recreational campfires have impact, and when they are used in this manner, they threaten access. Your attempt at lightheartedness undermined an issue that could eventually threaten access, or at least, climbing enjoyment and aesthetics.

darkgift06

Mar 6, 2011, 6:14 PM
Post #13 of 27 (6029 views)
Shortcut

Re: [rangerrob] Having a fire while bouldering, and other bad ideas. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I climb a few hours south in Penticton & we have fires while bouldering in the winter. Make hot dogs, warm up... you know.. but not under a climb or wall that could be climbed, thats not cool. Oh & we usually have the fire in the same place someone else did.. sux for your area man...

Adk

Mar 6, 2011, 9:51 PM
Post #14 of 27 (5962 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

rangerrob wrote:
You compared climbers and people partying having a campfire to Native Americans using fire for their survival.
Your attempt at lightheartedness undermined an issue that could eventually threaten access, or at least, climbing enjoyment and aesthetics.

If you check my post again you will see that I mentioned "my" ancestors, not yours, regarding fire.
No, fire was not only made for survival, ie to cook over , it was made also just as the picture in the OP shows.
I mentioned petroglyphs too. Good luck trying to pick that apart. You'd better have a bit more knowledge on them than I do. Good luck with that!!!

(This post was edited by Adk on Mar 6, 2011, 10:05 PM)

Adk

Mar 6, 2011, 9:55 PM
Post #15 of 27 (5959 views)
Shortcut

Re: [darkgift06] Having a fire while bouldering, and other bad ideas. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

darkgift06 wrote:
Oh & we usually have the fire in the same place someone else did.. .
This is how it should be done. Yep, even if it is under an overhang and it pisses climbers off.

Who are we to say that it is wrong? We're no different marking up the rock. A fire does it with soot and we do it with chalk. Duh!!

Now, if it's true that open fires are not allowed in that area we have a totally different issue don't we?

Adk

Mar 6, 2011, 10:03 PM
Post #16 of 27 (5950 views)
Shortcut

Re: [kachoong] Having a fire while bouldering, and other bad ideas. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

kachoong wrote:
Come on guys, play nice. I see both sides to this. I can see Adk is trying to bring a humorus tone to the discussion but calling his post moronic isn't exactly constructive.

Adk; in my eyes, having fires at a crag is a fairly serious issue unless it's an acceptable local practise. From what I gather it's not at this crag so trying to identify causes and preventing further "vandalism" should be encouraged.

Well if someone starts a fire and are bouldering by themselves and their buddy taking a picture, it doesn't reflect on the entire climbing community. Some would like to try to make you think that, so that you do what they want you to do in the future.
Here the fire is a direct reflection of the specific climbers. That is all.

Now, if a dozen climbers were there that might have a different impact.

(This post was edited by Adk on Mar 6, 2011, 10:08 PM)

marc801

Mar 6, 2011, 10:54 PM
Post #17 of 27 (5910 views)
Shortcut

Re: [darkgift06] Having a fire while bouldering, and other bad ideas. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

darkgift06 wrote:
I climb a few hours south in Penticton & we have fires while bouldering in the winter. Make hot dogs, warm up... you know.. but not under a climb or wall that could be climbed, thats not cool. Oh & we usually have the fire in the same place someone else did..
Is this within Skaha Bluffs Provincial Park? If so, fires are emphatically not allowed. Recall the devastating forest fire of 1994.

marc801

Mar 6, 2011, 10:56 PM
Post #18 of 27 (5907 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Adk wrote:
Well if someone starts a fire and are bouldering by themselves and their buddy taking a picture, it doesn't reflect on the entire climbing community. Some would like to try to make you think that, so that you do what they want you to do in the future. Here the fire is a direct reflection of the specific climbers. That is all.
You're not really that naive, are you? That's not the way land managers view it at all. It collectively reflects on all climbers, even if only the work of two assholes.

Adk

Mar 6, 2011, 11:39 PM
Post #19 of 27 (5881 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

marc801 wrote:
Adk wrote:
Well if someone starts a fire and are bouldering by themselves and their buddy taking a picture, it doesn't reflect on the entire climbing community. Some would like to try to make you think that, so that you do what they want you to do in the future. Here the fire is a direct reflection of the specific climbers. That is all.
You're not really that naive, are you? That's not the way land managers view it at all. It collectively reflects on all climbers, even if only the work of two assholes.

The other three land managers I work with besides myself view it this way. That is the way it works near me. Utah might be diffent though.
Ya see, we look at the big picture and work for everyones goals, not just for a specific adgenda we have. The thing with other land managers that we see is that they put their own childhood dreams first over everyone elses and screw things up.

robx

Mar 7, 2011, 1:39 AM
Post #20 of 27 (5838 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

ugly looking fire too.

rangerrob

Mar 7, 2011, 2:48 AM
Post #21 of 27 (5811 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

ADK, how does being a pencil pusher for a stainless steel tank manufacturer put you in a situation where you work with land managers?

I think I see the point you are trying to make here. "Your" ancestors used fire for whatever they thought was necessary, and they didn't alter or change the environment. So your use of fire, for whatever you want to use it for, should be acceptable. I think there are some variables you're not thinking about though.

Your ancestors needed fire for warmth, for cooking, for resource management, for making tools. Unless you're doing prescribed burns to obtain specific ecological objectives I don't think any of these really are truly necessary. If you are a Burn Boss, well then I'd be very surprised.

Please correct me if I am missing your point.

RR

olderic

Mar 7, 2011, 2:53 AM
Post #22 of 27 (5806 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

slavetogravity wrote:
olderic wrote:

Given that this area is rarely ever frequented by anyone but climbers on the warmest of days and the fact that you'll hardly ever see anyone in the Park in the winter, in addition to the photographer seemingly using the fire in the foreground of his photos to add some sort of "show em' how core we are" aesthetic, and that in other photos the climbers in questions are seen standing around the fire with close up photos of their climbing shoes warming by the fire, you right I can't prove for be 100% certain that it was they who lit the fire. Given all the facts though it sure seems suspicious.Crazy

So presumably the broken bottles that you alluded to earlier were left by climbers too?

granite_grrl

Mar 7, 2011, 12:33 PM
Post #23 of 27 (5701 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Adk wrote:
darkgift06 wrote:
Oh & we usually have the fire in the same place someone else did.. .
This is how it should be done. Yep, even if it is under an overhang and it pisses climbers off.

Who are we to say that it is wrong? We're no different marking up the rock. A fire does it with soot and we do it with chalk. Duh!!

Now, if it's true that open fires are not allowed in that area we have a totally different issue don't we?
I guess you're never seen exfoliating rock because it was exposed to the heat of a fire.

There's a local climbing bouldering area in Niagara Falls where you always see kids having fires. It does suck when they do it in the good bouldering caves, but quite frankly I'm more concerned about the entire park going up in flames one of these days.

mojomonkey

Mar 7, 2011, 1:46 PM
Post #24 of 27 (5680 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Adk wrote:
Who am I to think I have the right to build a fire below an overhang thinking the next guy doesn't have the right to put chalk on holds marking the semi-virgin looking rock.

Chalk and fires are equivalent then? If somebody else has an impact, anything else that has an impact is also fair game?

BTW, Giant Rock was fractured from the heat of a fire underneath. Other people had lit fires there, so I guess it was best to keep setting camp fires in the same spot.

darkgift06

Mar 7, 2011, 5:08 PM
Post #25 of 27 (5593 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

marc801 wrote:
darkgift06 wrote:
I climb a few hours south in Penticton & we have fires while bouldering in the winter. Make hot dogs, warm up... you know.. but not under a climb or wall that could be climbed, thats not cool. Oh & we usually have the fire in the same place someone else did..
Is this within Skaha Bluffs Provincial Park? If so, fires are emphatically not allowed. Recall the devastating forest fire of 1994.

No Marc, not in Skaha but in another location which had the same fire roll through. There was almost a foot of snow on the ground when we had our fire... & we tossed a shovel or 2 of snow on it when we were done lunch..

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook