Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
Recommendations for The Grand?
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

desertwanderer81

Mar 14, 2011, 2:58 PM
Post #1 of 3 (2008 views)
Shortcut

Recommendations for The Grand?  (North_America: United_States: Wyoming: Western_Wy_: Grand_Teton_NP)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

So, I am planning on doing the Grand Teton this summer. I was curious which summit route is your favorite.

lucander

Apr 5, 2011, 1:51 PM
Post #2 of 3 (1932 views)
Shortcut

Re: [desertwanderer81] Recommendations for The Grand? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Joe,

Nice to see you making big plans.

I've only been up to the Grand twice. The first time we did Upper Exum, easily dispatched in a day and with no need to camp. Left the parking lot at 2:30 am, summitted before noon. We took our sweet ass time on the way out (stashed food and beer in the creek) and returned before dark. The route was a whole lot of fun and I would not hesitate to do it again. In a period of very stable weather, we were able to carry a light pack with rope, 5 cams, some nuts, and a jacket.

The second time, I was with my wife. We climbed Complete Exum - it was the best best route I've ever been on. Camped at Lower Saddle. This allowed for an easy summit day because we slept until 5:30, enjoy morning coffee, and pass a few parties who were bumbling around looking for the start...I scoped it out the day before. Note that the weather forecast was perfect when we left Lupine Meadows. An unpredicted rain storm kept us tent bound for an entire day. It briefly snowed on us atop the second pitch, but then the weather cleared up and a good time was had by all.

Have fun out there. If you're still in Vegas, I'd recommend training at altitudes over 8000 for this mountain. Hike, run, climb.

D. L.

olderic

Apr 5, 2011, 2:01 PM
Post #3 of 3 (1925 views)
Shortcut

Re: [desertwanderer81] Recommendations for The Grand? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I've done it 8 times (over the past 44 years) - 3x in a day and 4x as an overnight. The N ridge (done twice) is my favorite so far.

One could ask all sorts of questions about your experience and pontificate on what is right for you - but that is not the question you asked - so I'll leave it at that.

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook