Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

lena_chita

Apr 21, 2011, 1:47 PM
Post #26 of 52 (3624 views)
Shortcut

Re: [kaizen] First time to RRG [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

kaizen wrote:
lena_chita wrote:
chadnsc wrote:
Well it's about time; the third week in May I'll be taking my first trip to RRG.

So the big question is . . . what's camping at Mig's like?

If it's your first time, you have to make it to Miguel's, it's sort of a rite of passage. But it's not like you can't switch campgrounds partway through your trip...

The truth is, ALL campgrounds at the Red are more crowded than ever these days, Miguel's and the rest of them. The demographics is slightly different at each campground.

Miguel's being most attractive to college-age crowds and those who don't want to cook dinner.

Lago Linda is appealing to people who don't mind cooking their own meals, prefer quieter company and are either planning on climbing in the Southern region mostly, or don't mind the longer drive to other areas.

And Land of the Arches seems to be popular with largish guided groups and scouts (e.i. usually kept in check by the people in charge of the trip), and with people who like central location and flexibility, close to Miguel's if pizza desire strikes and to Eagle's nest cafe or to True North for other food choices, fully equipped to cook your own meals, if wanted, yet removed from the 2am loud drunk revelers.

Nice...

The only thing I haven't seen mentioned about Miguels is the effing chickens that walk around the campground waking you up at first light...

Don't diss the chickens, they are better than half of the people at Miguel's, and definitely quieter. Tongue The chickens usually don't wake me up, I am awake by then.

but interestingly enough, I've obsereved some people who walk around at 2 a.m., stumbling drunkenly over tents and loudly cursing in the dark, but then expect everyone to observe quiet hours until after they crawl out of the tent around noon.

Couple of years ago camhead and angry got yelled at by someone who was still trying to sleep, because they dared to talk loudly near their tent around 10 a.m. in the morning. That was pretty funny. Though I grant you, angry and camhead talking together got to be quite intolerable for anyone with a hangover headache.

chadnsc

Apr 21, 2011, 1:57 PM
Post #27 of 52 (3618 views)
Shortcut

Re: [lena_chita] First time to RRG [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Ha!

If that happens to me find said tired drunk persons abode and shake their tent while pissing all over it and shout ' oh no, it's the big one, run for the hills'.

Too much? Wink

sandstoned

Apr 21, 2011, 2:16 PM
Post #28 of 52 (3608 views)
Shortcut

Re: [chadnsc] First time to RRG [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

Ah, every time there is talk about Miguels it seems like it gets a bad rap, and deserves some of it. It is really a matter of what you are looking for. If you want to throw back a few with revelry style and talk about rock climbing until you pass out, then Miguels is awesome. If you want to pound a couple beers, eat some great pizza and bullshit for while, Miguels is awesome. Meet some people, get a bit rowdy, spray about any level of difficulty, Miguels is awesome. However, if you are looking to sit around a quite fire, or looking cook a peaceful dinner and contemplate tomorrow, look elsewhere. But I wouldn't leave before getting one of those fine pizza pies.

chadnsc

Apr 21, 2011, 2:21 PM
Post #29 of 52 (3606 views)
Shortcut

Re: [sandstoned] First time to RRG [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I must say, I think I'll enjoy Mig's. I won't be spraying though as my out of shape self won't be doing anything that is 'hard'. Tongue

Diphthong

Apr 21, 2011, 10:49 PM
Post #30 of 52 (3569 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I used to camp at the Needles campground... back in the day

*stares off into space*

Yeah, it was cool back then. Just real climbers, doing our thing. Crushing the granite. You knew that pretty much anyone you ran into there was a real climber. I had their back, and they had mine. Back how it used to be. Now it's all a bunch of wannabes, spraying about their sport climbing accomplishments. It's not cool anymore. Not like it was... back in the day.

jt512

Apr 21, 2011, 11:22 PM
Post #31 of 52 (3560 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Diphthong] First time to RRG [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (4 ratings)  
Can't Post

Diphthong wrote:
I used to camp at the Needles campground... back in the day

*stares off into space*

Yeah, it was cool back then. Just real climbers, doing our thing. Crushing the granite. You knew that pretty much anyone you ran into there was a real climber. I had their back, and they had mine. Back how it used to be. Now it's all a bunch of wannabes, spraying about their sport climbing accomplishments. It's not cool anymore. Not like it was... back in the day.

For some reason this post seems like it should be all in caps and contain the word "serious" three or four times.

Jay

Partner happiegrrrl

Apr 21, 2011, 11:34 PM
Post #32 of 52 (3547 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jt512] First time to RRG [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm supposed to go to the RRG(1st time for me, too) in about 10 days or so. Glad to see the NF c/g info without even looking yet! Just staying for a couple of days as I make my way back home.

But I do admit - I am going to want to try that pizza. And I don't mind stumbling around, loud and drunken 20-somethings. Got a feeling my partner isn't going to go for either of those though.

thomasribiere

Apr 22, 2011, 10:54 AM
Post #33 of 52 (3517 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jakedatc] First time to RRG [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

jakedatc wrote:
yea... for us it was the facilities not being able to handle the amount of people staying there. Having only so much space in the food storage area, 1 wash sink, 2 bathroom stalls for each etc. just not sufficient.
Imagine two years ago! The 4 showers and the 2 restrooms were built a couple of days before I left, it was in October 2009.

thomasribiere

Apr 22, 2011, 11:01 AM
Post #34 of 52 (3516 views)
Shortcut

Re: [MS1] First time to RRG [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

MS1 wrote:
chadnsc wrote:
Are ths spiders going to eat me? Shocked
Kentucky is great, but get ready to deal with some funky wildlife. I have heard strong, strong men whimper like little girls when they find freaky looking spiders occupying crux holds. I myself almost stuck my hand in a copperhead's anus one time while starting up an easy trad pitch. And approximately 90% of the plant life is poison ivy.
You're right! Besides being stuck by a spider, on the first top rope I made there (Oopa at The Chocolate Factory), there was a snake in a hold a bit further on the left; hopefully I didn't have to use that hold.
And thanks to Lena Chita who introduced me Poison Ivy this very day, I avoided any contact with this plant : I'm the kind of guy interested in plants, and I always touch them and smell them...
And finding an hospital... lol! I had to go to (can't find the name) 3 times in one week, driving more than one hour each way, just to cure this infected spider bite! And got a flat tire.
But I have awesome souvenirs.

sungam

Apr 22, 2011, 1:04 PM
Post #35 of 52 (3503 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jakedatc] First time to RRG [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

jakedatc wrote:
yea... for us it was the facilities not being able to handle the amount of people staying there. Having only so much space in the food storage area, 1 wash sink, 2 bathroom stalls for each etc. just not sufficient.
This reminds me of a story I unfortunately can't tell here, but it involved an unfortunate traveller, the outside toilet freezing, and a long queue inside. And a sock.

ClimbSoHigh

Apr 22, 2011, 2:33 PM
Post #36 of 52 (3479 views)
Shortcut

Re: [sungam] First time to RRG [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Beats me! I keep telling people that RRG is really, really bad, and they should go to Smith Rock instead. But no one is listening.

It all depends on what you are looking for. If you're a tradie looking for remote wilderness adventures, no spray, and a community of climbers with 15+ years experience, don't go to RRG! If you're a sport climber who loves well bolted overhung jug hauls and the younger crowd, I can't think of a better place to climb. There are a lot of n00bs that show up there, probably because the juggy overhangs appeals to gym climbers across the east coast. I find that the older generation of climbers, or those brought up with the traditional mindset of climbing, do not like the RRG very much, most likely due to the idiot gumby shenangians you will see at the cliffs and all the spray at Miguel's.

In reply to:
I must say, I think I'll enjoy Mig's. I won't be spraying though as my out of shape self won't be doing anything that is 'hard'.

If you are feeling this way, I think you'll have a blast there. If you like your beer and pizza, it is a great place to camp. I have never camped elsewhere since I have always been more than happy with Miguel's. Also if you like to play chess, there are plenty of boards in the basement and people willing to play. I have not been there since 2009 but all my trips there I have had no problem getting to sleep or staying asleep, thanks to the beer of course. Tongue

More or less, if you're younger and like to drink a few too many after climbing and goof around till midnight, then you will have a blast at Miguels. If you like to get to sleep early and wake up early, can't tolerate excesive spray, and want a quieter more secluded atmosphere, still go to Miguel's to grab a pizza, then go camp elsewhere.

thomasribiere

Apr 22, 2011, 5:07 PM
Post #37 of 52 (3451 views)
Shortcut

Re: [ClimbSoHigh] First time to RRG [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I don't see any spray at Miguel's. Just a lot of young dedicated and motivated climbers, living in bands, who sometimes both work at Miguel's (and sometimes work on papers in their tent or van) and climb when they have free time / when the weather is good / when they are not tired after 3 days of overhangs.

jbro_135

Apr 22, 2011, 7:25 PM
Post #38 of 52 (3425 views)
Shortcut

Re: [thomasribiere] First time to RRG [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Just to clarify what is the current status of bathrooms and showers. Someone mentioned the renovated/added more recently?

shotwell

Apr 22, 2011, 7:35 PM
Post #39 of 52 (3424 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jbro_135] First time to RRG [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

One men's and one women's room outside. Several showers. Indoor restroom. Totally inadequate for the volume of people they serve, but far better than before.

enigma

Apr 23, 2011, 8:28 AM
Post #40 of 52 (3394 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

chadnsc wrote:
Are ths spiders going to eat me? Shocked

I got bit by a brown recluse spider, it eats your skin for months, and I took antibiotics.

It seemed to like my ankle.
You might want to goggle black widow, brown recluse spider bites so you can look at how hungry, they are for human blood.
Did you ever watch the mothman prophecies?

They don't like pizza.Laugh

Just don't cry, no matter what happens.

(This post was edited by enigma on Apr 23, 2011, 8:34 AM)

sungam

Apr 23, 2011, 2:03 PM
Post #41 of 52 (3381 views)
Shortcut

Re: [enigma] First time to RRG [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

enigma wrote:
I got bit by a brown recluse spider, it eats your skin for months, and I took antibiotics.
Unimpressed Well if antibiotics didn't stop the skin necrosis, nothing can.

rtwilli4

Apr 23, 2011, 8:04 PM
Post #42 of 52 (3369 views)
Shortcut

Re: [lena_chita] First time to RRG [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

lena_chita wrote:
kaizen wrote:
lena_chita wrote:
chadnsc wrote:
Well it's about time; the third week in May I'll be taking my first trip to RRG.

If it's your first time, you have to make it to Miguel's, it's sort of a rite of passage. But it's not like you can't switch campgrounds partway through your trip...

The truth is, ALL campgrounds at the Red are more crowded than ever these days, Miguel's and the rest of them. The demographics is slightly different at each campground.

Miguel's being most attractive to college-age crowds and those who don't want to cook dinner.

Lago Linda is appealing to people who don't mind cooking their own meals, prefer quieter company and are either planning on climbing in the Southern region mostly, or don't mind the longer drive to other areas.

And Land of the Arches seems to be popular with largish guided groups and scouts (e.i. usually kept in check by the people in charge of the trip), and with people who like central location and flexibility, close to Miguel's if pizza desire strikes and to Eagle's nest cafe or to True North for other food choices, fully equipped to cook your own meals, if wanted, yet removed from the 2am loud drunk revelers.

Nice...

The only thing I haven't seen mentioned about Miguels is the effing chickens that walk around the campground waking you up at first light...

Don't diss the chickens, they are better than half of the people at Miguel's, and definitely quieter. Tongue The chickens usually don't wake me up, I am awake by then.

but interestingly enough, I've obsereved some people who walk around at 2 a.m., stumbling drunkenly over tents and loudly cursing in the dark, but then expect everyone to observe quiet hours until after they crawl out of the tent around noon.

Couple of years ago camhead and angry got yelled at by someone who was still trying to sleep, because they dared to talk loudly near their tent around 10 a.m. in the morning. That was pretty funny. Though I grant you, angry and camhead talking together got to be quite intolerable for anyone with a hangover headache.

HA, I think I remember that actually. That was back before the days of the laundry/dorms/indoor sink area. Lena, we probably met at some point. I was around for a few months in the fall of 2008 I think.

To the OP: Like everyone else has said, it just depends on what you're into. When I used to hang out at the Red, Miguel's was the "cool" place to be and it was where all of the "real climbers" hung out. You know, the people who were "living the dream."

This was nearly three years ago. When I went back last year it had morphed into even more of a shit show. I felt like I was at Rock Climbing University or something, except there were a lot more frat parties than classes. It was strange, and not the kind of place I'd want to be staying if I was serious about getting some climbing done.

That said, I did have a good time the first time I was there. It was kind of my introduction to the American sport climbing crowd, and my intro to road-tripping. I met a lot of cool people and climbed quite a lot.

But after a while it wore me down. There are plenty of awesome people but I felt a little overwhelmed by all of the "lifers" who couldn't stop rambling about where and what they've climbed, the drinking, the spray... the people who take them selves too seriously.

My recommendation is to pick a day or two that you don't plan to climb hard (or at all) and go camp there, sit around, meet people, eat lots of pizza. You might like it and want to stay or you might hate it and move on. Worst that could happen is that you get a good pizza and have a drunken college kid from Wisconsin fall through your tent at 3am.

enigma

Apr 23, 2011, 8:07 PM
Post #43 of 52 (3367 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

sungam wrote:
enigma wrote:

It did work, it just takes awhile. Smile

enigma

Apr 23, 2011, 8:12 PM
Post #44 of 52 (3366 views)
Shortcut

Re: [rtwilli4] First time to RRG [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

rtwilli4 wrote:
lena_chita wrote:
kaizen wrote:
lena_chita wrote:
chadnsc wrote:

Nice...

HA, I think I remember that actually. That was back before the days of the laundry/dorms/indoor sink area. Lena, we probably met at some point. I was around for a few months in the fall of 2008 I think.

To the OP: Like everyone else has said, it just depends on what you're into. When I used to hang out at the Red, Miguel's was the "cool" place to be and it was where all of the "real climbers" hung out. You know, the people who were "living the dream."

This was nearly three years ago. When I went back last year it had morphed into even more of a shit show. I felt like I was at Rock Climbing University or something, except there were a lot more frat parties than classes. It was strange, and not the kind of place I'd want to be staying if I was serious about getting some climbing done.

That said, I did have a good time the first time I was there. It was kind of my introduction to the American sport climbing crowd, and my intro to road-tripping. I met a lot of cool people and climbed quite a lot.

But after a while it wore me down. There are plenty of awesome people but I felt a little overwhelmed by all of the "lifers" who couldn't stop rambling about where and what they've climbed, the drinking, the spray... the people who take them selves too seriously.

My recommendation is to pick a day or two that you don't plan to climb hard (or at all) and go camp there, sit around, meet people, eat lots of pizza. You might like it and want to stay or you might hate it and move on. Worst that could happen is that you get a good pizza and have a drunken college kid from Wisconsin fall through your tent at 3am.

Go, Go, Go, It will be good for you .Chadnsc.Tongue

lena_chita

Apr 23, 2011, 10:13 PM
Post #45 of 52 (3347 views)
Shortcut

Re: [rtwilli4] First time to RRG [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

rtwilli4 wrote:
lena_chita wrote:

Quite likely... you look familiar.

MS1

Apr 23, 2011, 10:44 PM
Post #46 of 52 (3342 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

sungam wrote:
enigma wrote:

Brown recluse bites are no fucking joke. I knew a guy who suffered a nasty seeping wound from one that listed YEARS despite plenty of medical attention and treatment.

If you see this (with the fiddle-shaped marking on the back), you give it some respect, because it will fuck your shit up:

altelis

Apr 24, 2011, 3:59 PM
Post #47 of 52 (3297 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

enigma wrote:
sungam wrote:
enigma wrote:

To be fair to Enigma (though she wasn't the one say she needed the antibiotics, her doc did), ONE antibiotic is used for brown recluse bites. Though not considered standard of care yet, dapsone is supposedly widely used to treat brown recluse bites. Though Sungam is right, bacteria aren't causing the necrosis, and the dapsone isn't being used as an antibiotic. It also inhibits neutrophils, the white blood cell that's actually causing most of the damage. Interestingly other medications that inhibit neutrophils don't seem to work with brown recluse bites. And general antibiotic use is not a treatment for brown recluse bites...

sungam

Apr 24, 2011, 8:18 PM
Post #48 of 52 (3283 views)
Shortcut

Re: [altelis] First time to RRG [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

altelis wrote:
enigma wrote:
sungam wrote:
enigma wrote:

To be fair to Enigma (though she wasn't the one say she needed the antibiotics, her doc did), ONE antibiotic is used for brown recluse bites. Though not considered standard of care yet, dapsone is supposedly widely used to treat brown recluse bites. Though Sungam is right, bacteria aren't causing the necrosis, and the dapsone isn't being used as an antibiotic. It also inhibits neutrophils, the white blood cell that's actually causing most of the damage. Interestingly other medications that inhibit neutrophils don't seem to work with brown recluse bites. And general antibiotic use is not a treatment for brown recluse bites...
From what I read (I had to check up on it to make sure I wasn't making a fool of myself) the bites kinda easily get infected, and that's what some people take the antibiotics for. But yeah, mostly I was just chuckling at the "Oh, it's bad... antibiotics!" thing.

chadnsc

Apr 25, 2011, 1:31 PM
Post #49 of 52 (3246 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

enigma wrote:
rtwilli4 wrote:
lena_chita wrote:
kaizen wrote:
lena_chita wrote:
chadnsc wrote:

Nice...

Go, Go, Go, It will be good for you .Chadnsc.Tongue

You do realize that rtwilli4 isn't me right?

chadnsc

Apr 25, 2011, 1:33 PM
Post #50 of 52 (3242 views)
Shortcut

Re: [ClimbSoHigh] First time to RRG [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

ClimbSoHigh wrote:
In reply to:
Beats me! I keep telling people that RRG is really, really bad, and they should go to Smith Rock instead. But no one is listening.

It all depends on what you are looking for. If you're a tradie looking for remote wilderness adventures, no spray, and a community of climbers with 15+ years experience, don't go to RRG! If you're a sport climber who loves well bolted overhung jug hauls and the younger crowd, I can't think of a better place to climb. There are a lot of n00bs that show up there, probably because the juggy overhangs appeals to gym climbers across the east coast. I find that the older generation of climbers, or those brought up with the traditional mindset of climbing, do not like the RRG very much, most likely due to the idiot gumby shenangians you will see at the cliffs and all the spray at Miguel's.

In reply to:
I must say, I think I'll enjoy Mig's. I won't be spraying though as my out of shape self won't be doing anything that is 'hard'.

If you are feeling this way, I think you'll have a blast there. If you like your beer and pizza, it is a great place to camp. I have never camped elsewhere since I have always been more than happy with Miguel's. Also if you like to play chess, there are plenty of boards in the basement and people willing to play. I have not been there since 2009 but all my trips there I have had no problem getting to sleep or staying asleep, thanks to the beer of course. Tongue

More or less, if you're younger and like to drink a few too many after climbing and goof around till midnight, then you will have a blast at Miguels. If you like to get to sleep early and wake up early, can't tolerate excesive spray, and want a quieter more secluded atmosphere, still go to Miguel's to grab a pizza, then go camp elsewhere.

Ha! I am a tradie but I'm not looking for remote wilderness adventures. Just some easy to moderate trad combined with some fun sport.

I have to say this trip is getting me all excited. I haven't climbed on sandstone in three years.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook