RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Beginners

Premier Sponsor:

MTBZEN

Jul 17, 2011, 5:36 PM
Post #1 of 21 (6665 views)
Shortcut

First 5.10 at the gym! Woo hoo!
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

5.10b to be exact. Wink

I know, I know...no big deal for most, but HUGE for me! Only been climbing a few months.

Besides who else can I brag to?? Tried explaining it to a non-climbing friend and got a hollow "cool".

My first outdoor climb is coming at the end of this month - super stoked!

Cheers

Lisa

granite_grrl

Jul 17, 2011, 5:58 PM
Post #2 of 21 (6645 views)
Shortcut

Re: [MTBZEN] First 5.10 at the gym! Woo hoo! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

Good on youse.

Don't become a number chaser or a sprayer, but grades can be a good indicator of how you're improving. Keep pushing and challenging yourself, as you get outside I think the grades matter less and less, but there's nothing like returning to a route you had to previously project and can now use as part of your warmup. Sly

pdpcardsfan

Jul 17, 2011, 6:02 PM
Post #3 of 21 (6641 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

good work

sungam

Jul 17, 2011, 6:06 PM
Post #4 of 21 (6634 views)
Shortcut

Re: [granite_grrl] First 5.10 at the gym! Woo hoo! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

granite_grrl wrote:
there's nothing like returning to a route you had to previously project and can now use as part of your warmup. Sly
It's sure a fuckload better then returning to a route you used to warm-up and have to project it Smile

MTBZEN

Jul 17, 2011, 6:21 PM
Post #5 of 21 (6622 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

granite_grrl wrote:
Don't become a number chaser or a sprayer, but grades can be a good indicator of how you're improving. Sly

I hear ya and the numbers are purely my way of feeling progress.

I did a 5.9/10 (such a thing??) a couple weeks ago but felt nothing cuz it was an obvious sandbagging 5.8.

herites

Jul 17, 2011, 6:22 PM
Post #6 of 21 (6622 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Don't be disappointed when you find out that you can't climb 5.6 on real rock. To say something good, if you press on, soon you'll climb only a bit below your gym level, but have to adapt a lot during the first few times on rock.

dbogardus

Jul 17, 2011, 6:31 PM
Post #7 of 21 (6609 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Great job. Keep having fun!

johnwesely

Jul 17, 2011, 6:58 PM
Post #8 of 21 (6589 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

granite_grrl wrote:
Good on youse.

Keep pushing and challenging yourself, as you get outside I think the grades matter less and less, but there's nothing like returning to a route you had to previously project and can now use as part of your warmup. Sly

I think you meant more and more. You gotta think of the sponsors.

JoeHamilton

Jul 17, 2011, 8:24 PM
Post #9 of 21 (6558 views)
Shortcut

Re: [herites] First 5.10 at the gym! Woo hoo! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

herites wrote:
Don't be disappointed when you find out that you can't climb 5.6 on real rock. To say something good, if you press on, soon you'll climb only a bit below your gym level, but have to adapt a lot during the first few times on rock.
great work ,, hpe te outdoors treats you well , I love the gym for strength training ,pushing hard and the some how more comfortable feeling of falling . in the gym I can climb 5.12 - 5.13 ,boulder v0-v5 ,,.now like mentioned above when I get outside ,im mor in the 5.6-5.10 range and v0-v2 at best .... Many have also said not to chase the numbers ,it is soooooooooooooo true ive beeen on some 5.9 that felt like 5.12 and some that felt like a 5.6 .....the numbers are a good GUIDE of personal safety in my opinion ,so we dont push too far and get hurt ,or go to light that we get no fun of the PUSH n Pull ...Keep climbing and just ebjoy the rock and sights only nature provides ..

lena_chita

Jul 17, 2011, 8:56 PM
Post #10 of 21 (6549 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

MTBZEN wrote:
granite_grrl wrote:
Don't become a number chaser or a sprayer, but grades can be a good indicator of how you're improving. Sly

I hear ya and the numbers are purely my way of feeling progress.

I did a 5.9/10 (such a thing??) a couple weeks ago but felt nothing cuz it was an obvious sandbagging 5.8.

Based on the highlighted part, I don't think you know what sandbagging is.

If a route is 5.10, and you call it 5.8-- that's sandbagging.

If a route is 5.8, and you call it 5.10, that's "soft" grading.

Oh, and of course, congratulations!

I hope we won't be seeing a post for each subsequent grade you climb, but everyone here understands the excitement of breaking into a new number grade, a sense of accomplishment from climbing something hard for you. So, good job!

herites

Jul 17, 2011, 9:08 PM
Post #11 of 21 (6545 views)
Shortcut

Re: [lena_chita] First 5.10 at the gym! Woo hoo! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I hope we won't be seeing a post for each subsequent grade you climb, but everyone here understands the excitement of breaking into a new number grade, a sense of accomplishment from climbing something hard for you. So, good job!

You're treating newbies too soft, they'll go crybaby when Jay shows up ;)

(This post was edited by herites on Jul 17, 2011, 9:10 PM)

ceebo

Jul 18, 2011, 12:21 AM
Post #12 of 21 (6480 views)
Shortcut

Re: [herites] First 5.10 at the gym! Woo hoo! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (4 ratings)  
Can't Post

herites wrote:

So you are saying she will drop 5 grades?.. to the level my 6 year old son can climb?. Don't talk so much shit.

johnwesely

Jul 18, 2011, 1:01 AM
Post #13 of 21 (6467 views)
Shortcut

Re: [ceebo] First 5.10 at the gym! Woo hoo! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (6 ratings)  
Can't Post

ceebo wrote:
herites wrote:

So you are saying she will drop 5 grades?.. to the level my 6 year old son can climb?. Don't talk so much shit.

Your son sounds weak.

climbingtrash

Jul 18, 2011, 2:57 AM
Post #14 of 21 (6433 views)
Shortcut

Re: [johnwesely] First 5.10 at the gym! Woo hoo! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

johnwesely wrote:
ceebo wrote:
herites wrote:

Your son sounds weak.

+1

And yes, she probably will drop 5 grades but that depends on where she goes climbing outside. Anyway, it's just the beginning for her and we've all been there in one way or another. Good luck Lisa.

MTBZEN

Jul 18, 2011, 3:09 AM
Post #15 of 21 (6424 views)
Shortcut

Re: [climbingtrash] First 5.10 at the gym! Woo hoo! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks for the genuine encouragement - and don't worry...I won't gush about my next progressive step. That's just for me.

Thanks too for not disappointing me and being all hugs and kisses. Old chicks have thick skin. Been there, done that and seen just about everything in between.

Tongue

climbingtrash

Jul 18, 2011, 3:17 AM
Post #16 of 21 (6421 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

MTBZEN wrote:
Thanks for the genuine encouragement - and don't worry...I won't gush about my next progressive step. That's just for me.

Thanks too for not disappointing me and being all hugs and kisses. Old chicks have thick skin. Been there, done that and seen just about everything in between.

Tongue

Make us proud champ.

ceebo

Jul 18, 2011, 11:20 AM
Post #17 of 21 (6372 views)
Shortcut

Re: [johnwesely] First 5.10 at the gym! Woo hoo! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

johnwesely wrote:
ceebo wrote:
herites wrote:

Your son sounds weak.

I see they are still handing out phd's in stating the obvious.

Speed4TheNeed

Jul 18, 2011, 1:54 PM
Post #18 of 21 (6350 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

For all the good information that is on this site, one thing that doesn't happen often here is people accepting a gray area.

Not all climbing gyms are the same. There are different surfaces and textures. When I started visiting the forums awhile back (before registerring) it pretty much made me believe outside climbing was a completely different beast and dropping a few levels outside would probably be the best I could manage.

Turns out, outside climbing is very different--but not significantly more difficult. The hardest part wasn't the climbing..it just took longer to find the right holds as they are not blatantly obvious like in the gym...but this was made up for by being able to place my foot on virtually anything unlike a gym (climbed on sandstone if that matters). Maybe my gym is a bit more difficult and the walls are too slick unlike some others, or maybe the routes at Horseshoe really should be downgraded as I've heard, but I climbed my same grade outside as I did inside. That's not to brag--I'm not a great climber and am just getting started so I did not do anything over 5.9. Anyway that's my experience.

So take it with a grain of salt from my inexperience, but if you can climb 5.10 in the gym I really can't see you flailing on 5.6's. Gym ratings are pretty arbitrary but that's a pretty steep drop by any measure.

(This post was edited by Speed4TheNeed on Jul 18, 2011, 2:29 PM)

johnwesely

Jul 18, 2011, 2:15 PM
Post #19 of 21 (6343 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

ceebo wrote:
johnwesely wrote:
ceebo wrote:
herites wrote:

Your son sounds weak.

I only wish that were true.

redonkulus

Jul 18, 2011, 3:54 PM
Post #20 of 21 (6307 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

ceebo wrote:
johnwesely wrote:
ceebo wrote:
herites wrote:

Your son sounds weak.

I'm starting to think you're an idiot less and less as time goes on. My preliminary judgement was far too harsh.

climbingtrash

Jul 19, 2011, 4:06 AM
Post #21 of 21 (6227 views)
Shortcut

Re: [redonkulus] First 5.10 at the gym! Woo hoo! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

redonkulus wrote:
ceebo wrote:
johnwesely wrote:
ceebo wrote:
herites wrote:

Your son sounds weak.

I'm starting to think you're an idiot less and less as time goes on. My preliminary judgement was far too harsh.

Hey now, no ball cupping in the Beginners forum. You wanna do that take it to the BET.

Forums : Climbing Information : Beginners

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook