Forums: Climbing Information: General:
Body weight, sponsors, and climbers
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for General

Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 Next page Last page  View All

Kartessa

Aug 4, 2011, 5:55 PM
Post #251 of 273 (7933 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Kartessa] (open to modification) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

See Fox News:

http://www.foxnews.com/...aily-dose-mcdonalds/

spikeddem

Aug 4, 2011, 6:00 PM
Post #252 of 273 (7932 views)
Shortcut

Re: [cracklover] (open to modification) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

cracklover wrote:
spikeddem wrote:
cracklover wrote:
Learner wrote:
jt512 wrote:
Learner wrote:
The Effect of Body Weight on Climbing Performance

Recruit a group of climbers. They must be willing to allow their diet to be manipulated.

GROUP 1: CONTROL GROUP
Caloric intake of each participant in this group is maintained throughout the study. Average daily caloric intake is determined, then the participants in this group are instructed to consume that many calories on a daily basis.

GROUP 2: 'SKINNIER' GROUP
Daily caloric intake of participants in this group is decreased considerably. The participants in this group presumably lose weight.

GROUP 3: 'FATTER' GROUP
Daily caloric intake of participants in this group is increased considerably. The participants in this group presumably gain weight.

PROCEDURE
Take a few days to determine caloric intake of each participant. Use this measure as the basis for the manipulation of caloric intake for each participant.

Measures are first taken on all participants on 1) body weight, 2) body composition, 3) climbing ability and 4) grip strength. Participants are then instructed to continue to climb as they normally would for a certain period of time, while maintaining a diet as instructed above. The reason participants are instructed to climb as they normally would despite individual differences in routines is to allow for the modifications individuals have made to their climbing routines in response to their personal requirements in terms of recovery. It is an indirect way to control for recovery ability. After the duration of the study, each participant is again tested for 1) body weight, 2) body composition, 3) climbing ability and 4) grip strength.

STATISTICAL ANALYSIS
One-way, between-subjects Analysis of Covariance (ANCOVA) on climbing ability. Use measures derived before and after the duration of the study on 1) body weight, 2) body composition, and 3) gripping strength as covariates. This follows the assumption that grip strength and body composition influence climbing ability. It also accounts for the differences in the degree to which body weight changes between participants.
(Option: Use MANOVA instead of ANCOVA, in order to also explore the potential influence of changes in measures of body composition on climbing performance.)

CONCLUSION
If a "skinnier you" is a better (or worse) climber than a "fatter you," significant differences should be detected in climbing performance between groups 2 ("skinnier") and 3 ("fatter"). If a "skinnier you" or a "fatter you" is a better (or worse) climber than the you as you are right now, we should derive significant differences in climbing performance between group 1 (maintained) and the other two groups ("skinnier" and "fatter").

CURRENT CHALLENGES
Develop a reliable measure for climbing ability. Simply using the grade of routes and/or problems one can send may not be a precise enough measure. There are reliable (and precise) ways to measure grip strength.

ASSUMPTIONS
One assumption of this study is that the effect size depends on the degree to which body weight changes. This is because change in body weight is used as a covariate. Again, we also assume that grip strength and body composition influence climbing ability.

Finally, the study assumes that the climbing technique of each participant will not diminish throughout the study. All climbers are allowed to continue to climb as they normally would, which is an attempt to allow climbing technique to atleast maintain its current level. If anything, climbing technique would more likely improve than deteriorate, simply because climbing technique tends to improve with more climbing experience. So, we assume that climbing technique will not decline during this study, as long as the participants' climbing routines are maintained.

Big hint from a professional: make your hypothesis explicit before you try to design your study.

HYPOTHESIS
Changes in body weight will be associated with changes in climbing performance.

My hypothesis is that both those who gain a lot of weight and those who lose a lot will have higher injury rates than your control group.

GO

You're talking about finger injuries? Why do you believe that those losing weight will have more finger injuries? As long as their diet is still well-balanced, what's the issue?

Potential causes off the top of my head:

- Muscle imbalances, as those muscles not recruited in climbing lose mass more quickly.

- Epicondylitis issues, as the tissues see almost equal stress, but have less available to repair them.

- Tendon, tendon pulley, and tendon sheath issues in the hand and fingers. These don't have a blood supply, and my understanding is they get most of their nutrition from what they can get out of the synovial fluid. A limited diet might mean less fluid, and less nutrition in the fluid.

People with more of a medical background could probably triple the number of reasons I came up with. I'm simply making what I consider a pretty educated guess.

Essentially, you're putting severe stress on some pretty small structures - a level of stress that can cause injury even in the best of times - while depriving them of nutrients.

Think about it - let's say, in a best case scenario, losing ten pounds enabled you to climb two letter grades harder. Consider what that means for the holds, the angle of the climb, and the dynamic nature of the climbing, and what those differences would mean for the small structures taking the brunt of those repetitive forces.

If one were to lose weight more gradually, perhaps the above wouldn't be an issue, or not as much of an issue. Who knows.

GO

Hmm. I guess I figured we were talking about losing weight gradually. I've been losing an average of 1.41 lbs per week for 8 weeks now. My fingers feel incredible.

I think the issue I have with your logic is that you highlight the "putting severe stress on pretty small structures," but then ignore how small their nutritional requirements would be. If your diet is clean, then I don't think there's any issue. However, if your calories are coming from processed foods, then, perhaps, there could be an issue.

As for muscle imbalances (I was under the impression that epicondylitis was caused by a muscle imbalanced?), I don't really buy that either. First off, if someone has the type of body to be worried about it (not me), then it'll happen regardless of being on a diet. Second, if it's a possibility, then they should be training as such. I guess I really just don't believe that a caloric deficit would widen the gap between used muscles and unused muscles.

Most importantly, the BIGGEST issue here is that this pointless experiment (as designed by Learner) wouldn't get at what we're actually talking about. We haven't been talking about DIETING people (until Learner's experiment), we've been talking about LIGHTER people. Therefore, the people should diet down a certain amount of weight, then maintain that weight. In this situation, the subjects would be taking in a maintenance amount of calories and then your issues would definitely not (theoretically) come up.

granite_grrl

Aug 4, 2011, 6:01 PM
Post #253 of 273 (7928 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Kartessa] (open to modification) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Kartessa wrote:
granite_grrl wrote:
Kartessa wrote:
spikeddem wrote:
cracklover wrote:
Learner wrote:
jt512 wrote:
Learner wrote:

Recruit a group of climbers. They must be willing to allow their diet to be manipulated.

Caloric intake of each participant in this group is maintained throughout the study. Average daily caloric intake is determined, then the participants in this group are instructed to consume that many calories on a daily basis.

Daily caloric intake of participants in this group is decreased considerably. The participants in this group presumably lose weight.

Daily caloric intake of participants in this group is increased considerably. The participants in this group presumably gain weight.

PROCEDURE
Take a few days to determine caloric intake of each participant. Use this measure as the basis for the manipulation of caloric intake for each participant.

Measures are first taken on all participants on 1) body weight, 2) body composition, 3) climbing ability and 4) grip strength. Participants are then instructed to continue to climb as they normally would for a certain period of time, while maintaining a diet as instructed above. The reason participants are instructed to climb as they normally would despite individual differences in routines is to allow for the modifications individuals have made to their climbing routines in response to their personal requirements in terms of recovery. It is an indirect way to control for recovery ability. After the duration of the study, each participant is again tested for 1) body weight, 2) body composition, 3) climbing ability and 4) grip strength.

STATISTICAL ANALYSIS
One-way, between-subjects Analysis of Covariance (ANCOVA) on climbing ability. Use measures derived before and after the duration of the study on 1) body weight, 2) body composition, and 3) gripping strength as covariates. This follows the assumption that grip strength and body composition influence climbing ability. It also accounts for the differences in the degree to which body weight changes between participants.
(Option: Use MANOVA instead of ANCOVA, in order to also explore the potential influence of changes in measures of body composition on climbing performance.)

CONCLUSION
If a "skinnier you" is a better (or worse) climber than a "fatter you," significant differences should be detected in climbing performance between groups 2 ("skinnier") and 3 ("fatter"). If a "skinnier you" or a "fatter you" is a better (or worse) climber than the you as you are right now, we should derive significant differences in climbing performance between group 1 (maintained) and the other two groups ("skinnier" and "fatter").

CURRENT CHALLENGES
Develop a reliable measure for climbing ability. Simply using the grade of routes and/or problems one can send may not be a precise enough measure. There are reliable (and precise) ways to measure grip strength.

ASSUMPTIONS
One assumption of this study is that the effect size depends on the degree to which body weight changes. This is because change in body weight is used as a covariate. Again, we also assume that grip strength and body composition influence climbing ability.

Finally, the study assumes that the climbing technique of each participant will not diminish throughout the study. All climbers are allowed to continue to climb as they normally would, which is an attempt to allow climbing technique to atleast maintain its current level. If anything, climbing technique would more likely improve than deteriorate, simply because climbing technique tends to improve with more climbing experience. So, we assume that climbing technique will not decline during this study, as long as the participants' climbing routines are maintained.

Big hint from a professional: make your hypothesis explicit before you try to design your study.

HYPOTHESIS

My hypothesis is that both those who gain a lot of weight and those who lose a lot will have higher injury rates than your control group.

GO

You're talking about finger injuries? Why do you believe that those losing weight will have more finger injuries? As long as their diet is still well-balanced, what's the issue?

I think its in reference to the considerable decrease in calorie intake - will probably leave the person with a nutritional deficit
I lurve my nutritional deficit.
Doritos?
Nah, I've been a good girl (as long as you ignore that Cape Breton wedding last weekend), just been trying to slim down lately.

Kartessa

Aug 4, 2011, 6:10 PM
Post #254 of 273 (7914 views)
Shortcut

Re: [granite_grrl] (open to modification) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

granite_grrl wrote:
Kartessa wrote:
granite_grrl wrote:
Kartessa wrote:
spikeddem wrote:
cracklover wrote:
Learner wrote:
jt512 wrote:
Learner wrote:

PROCEDURE

STATISTICAL ANALYSIS

CONCLUSION

CURRENT CHALLENGES

ASSUMPTIONS

HYPOTHESIS

GO

I think its in reference to the considerable decrease in calorie intake - will probably leave the person with a nutritional deficit
I lurve my nutritional deficit.
Doritos?
Nah, I've been a good girl (as long as you ignore that Cape Breton wedding last weekend), just been trying to slim down lately.

Bacon-wrapped doritos?

jt512

Aug 4, 2011, 6:28 PM
Post #255 of 273 (7903 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Learner] (open to modification) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (3 ratings)  
Can't Post

Learner wrote:

You can drop the overfeeding group; it isn't necessary or ethical.

Without going overboard on details, start with a run-in period (say, 2 weeks) in which you determine each subject's actual caloric needs. At the end of the run-in period, randomize the subjects to two groups: weight maintenance or weight loss. Feed each group a prescribed diet, providing either 100% or 80% of the subject's total energy requirements, for eight weeks. We would expect to see about 1 lb/wk weight loss in the weight loss group. Then, I think what I'd want to do is to put the weight loss group back on a eucaloric diet (so now the two groups are on the same diet) and follow them for, say four more weeks, the idea being to allow time for any acute effect of dieting per se to wash out.

I think I'd want to control their training in an attempt to control for a possible dietary effect on training, since our interest here is in the effect of weight loss itself, not dietary intervention.

Although I'd monitor body weight throughout the study, the key measurements of body weight, body composition, and climbing level would be at the end of the run-in period, the end of the 8-week intervention, and the end of the following 4-week follow-up. The primary outcome would be change in climbing level from pre-intervention to post-follow-up, and the primary goal of the analysis would be to see if that differed between the two groups. Of course, there are other interesting questions we could answer in secondary analyses.

Obviously, this is just a broad-brush conceptualization of such a study. Innumerable details would have to be worked out in real life.

Jay

spikeddem

Aug 4, 2011, 6:38 PM
Post #256 of 273 (7893 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jt512] (open to modification) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

jt512 wrote:
our interest here is in the effect of weight loss itself, not dietary intervention.

Jay

Exactly.

DocGF

Aug 7, 2011, 3:06 PM
Post #257 of 273 (7807 views)
Shortcut

Re: [shockabuku] Body weight, sponsors, and climbers [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

BMI is considered unhealthy if <16 or >28. >28 is obese; 25-28 is overweight; 16-18 is underweight; and < 16 is "severely underweight". By plotting the weight over time on a standardized growth curve (available from the CDC), you can see if an individual is tracking appropriately or falling off the curve. Falling off the curve (crossing two percentage lines) is a big red flag. Athletes may be underweight without being unhealthy, and this may actually given them a competetive advantage in some sports. BMI is not the same as body fat percentage, which must be calculated by various skin fold thickness measurements or by using a water tank scale. When we assess people to determine whether or not they are at an unhealthy weight, we look at a variety of additional factors, such as how they feel, whether or not they are menstruating, their lab results (Tot protein, albumin, blood counts, glucose, electrolytes, and liver function), and their bone density. Osteopenia and osteoporosis develop more frequently in underweight athletes, as you might expect. Eating disorders are diagnosed when individuals have unhealthy and obsessive concerns about their weight which cause them to starve themselves, exercise excessively, or to perform ritualistic behaviors such as inducing catharsis through various means after binging. People with eating disorders frequently know their behavior is abnormal, but not always. Sometimes their perception of reality is flawed or they lack insignt. In such instances, family members or loved onces may need to confront the individual or provide the physician with information which, in light of the objective data, can confirm the presence of an eating disorder. Information on the Female athlete syndrome / triad is well documented in the literature, and may be of interest to those involved in the training, nutrition, and guidance of female athletes.

(This post was edited by DocGF on Aug 7, 2011, 3:20 PM)

Partner rrrADAM

Aug 11, 2011, 5:48 PM
Post #258 of 273 (7738 views)
Shortcut

Re: [sungam] There is something else, however... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

sungam wrote:
Hell, rrrADAM is a nuclear plant maintanace dude ...

To be pedantic, I'm an inspector... I inspect what the 'maintanace dudes' [and others] do, if it's on a safety related or critcal system. And yes, I'm an autodidact, with verrie pore speling.

(This post was edited by rrrADAM on Aug 11, 2011, 5:50 PM)

sungam

Aug 11, 2011, 7:39 PM
Post #259 of 273 (7711 views)
Shortcut

Re: [rrrADAM] There is something else, however... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

rrrADAM wrote:
sungam wrote:

To be pedantic, I'm an inspector...
Well, whatever the title (thanks for the correction, though), all I was sure of was that it is bad ass and fascinated when you were explaining in detail how the plant worked in the Japan thread. Pretty clear that formal schooling isn't required for someone to be intelligent, informed and successful.

(This post was edited by sungam on Aug 11, 2011, 7:40 PM)

damienclimber

Aug 11, 2011, 11:51 PM
Post #260 of 273 (7661 views)
Shortcut

Re: [sungam] There is something else, however... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

sungam wrote:
rrrADAM wrote:
sungam wrote:

To be pedantic, I'm an inspector...
Well, whatever the title (thanks for the correction, though), all I was sure of was that it is bad ass and fascinated when you were explaining in detail how the plant worked in the Japan thread. Pretty clear that formal schooling isn't required for someone to be intelligent, informed and successful.

this is just an illusion !

Kartessa

Aug 12, 2011, 3:44 AM
Post #261 of 273 (7644 views)
Shortcut

Re: [DocGF] Body weight, sponsors, and climbers [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

DocGF wrote:
BMI is considered unhealthy if <16 or >28. >28 is obese; 25-28 is overweight; 16-18 is underweight; and < 16 is "severely underweight". By plotting the weight over time on a standardized growth curve (available from the CDC), you can see if an individual is tracking appropriately or falling off the curve. Falling off the curve (crossing two percentage lines) is a big red flag. Athletes may be underweight without being unhealthy, and this may actually given them a competetive advantage in some sports. BMI is not the same as body fat percentage, which must be calculated by various skin fold thickness measurements or by using a water tank scale. When we assess people to determine whether or not they are at an unhealthy weight, we look at a variety of additional factors, such as how they feel, whether or not they are menstruating, their lab results (Tot protein, albumin, blood counts, glucose, electrolytes, and liver function), and their bone density. Osteopenia and osteoporosis develop more frequently in underweight athletes, as you might expect. Eating disorders are diagnosed when individuals have unhealthy and obsessive concerns about their weight which cause them to starve themselves, exercise excessively, or to perform ritualistic behaviors such as inducing catharsis through various means after binging. People with eating disorders frequently know their behavior is abnormal, but not always. Sometimes their perception of reality is flawed or they lack insignt. In such instances, family members or loved onces may need to confront the individual or provide the physician with information which, in light of the objective data, can confirm the presence of an eating disorder. Information on the Female athlete syndrome / triad is well documented in the literature, and may be of interest to those involved in the training, nutrition, and guidance of female athletes.

They're called "Paragraphs"

notapplicable

Oct 23, 2011, 7:12 PM
Post #262 of 273 (7432 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

Looks like that anorexic woman you were so concerned about is now the first American female to crush .14d

Strong work!

http://www.dpmclimbing.com/...ure-imagination-514d

In reply to:
In an interview with DPM last spring, Sasha stated, “I do not know where my first 5.14d will go down, but I would love to try Pure Imagination at the RRG…that line looks really cool!” Yesterday, Oct 15th, she clipped the chains on her 6th try overall. Bolted by Kenny Barker, Pure Imagination was first climbed by Jonathan Siegrist last November, 2010. It saw its first repeat by local Adam Taylor in the spring of 2011.

This ascent puts Sasha Digiulian in a very elite group of women to have climbed the grade. Josune Bereziartu was the first female to climb the grade with Bain de Sang (5.14d) in 2002. Just two months ago, Charlotte Durif became the second woman when she climbed PPP (5.14d) in the Verdon Gorge. And now Sasha Digiulian has climbed the grade in only six tries.

notapplicable

Oct 23, 2011, 7:15 PM
Post #263 of 273 (7429 views)
Shortcut

Re: [notapplicable] Body weight, sponsors, and climbers [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

Oh, and Sasha says you don't know what you're talking about and should fuck off.

http://www.dpmclimbing.com/...ks-out-stash-preview

adigiulian

Jun 21, 2012, 2:17 PM
Post #264 of 273 (7048 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Mad
Since you are so concerned about my daughter's physical health let me assure you that she has regular check ups. Her doctor is one of the leading physicians in Washington DC. He says her health is excellent. Further Sasha's grandmother was a leading dietician in her day. Healthy diet is a family tradition.
Healthy diet, active metabolisms and physical fitness ....
I wish you luck with your children, thanks for your concern (?) about mine!

IPissonurproj

Jun 21, 2012, 3:01 PM
Post #265 of 273 (7029 views)
Shortcut

Re: [adigiulian] Body weight, sponsors, and climbers [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

adigiulian wrote:
Mad
Since you are so concerned about my daughter's physical health let me assure you that she has regular check ups. Her doctor is one of the leading physicians in Washington DC. He says her health is excellent. Further Sasha's grandmother was a leading dietician in her day. Healthy diet is a family tradition.

Unimpressed Shit's about to get real

kappydane

Jun 21, 2012, 5:52 PM
Post #266 of 273 (6993 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have had the good fortune to have a world class climber live with me for a month. Most would consider him very skinny to the point some may think he was malnourished. Believe me he ate as much or more than I did every meal. Giant burritos, junk food, plus plenty of healthy stuff to go along with it. I outweigh him by 30 to 40 pounds even though he is only about an inch or two shorter and most consider me to be thin. You really can't tell anything about someones eating habits unless you actually eat with them on a regular basis. There are those genetically gifted bodies out there that just don't put on the weight. He would also boulder all day long with long approaches in many cases.

Khoi

Jun 23, 2012, 2:23 PM
Post #267 of 273 (6866 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

adigiulian wrote:
Mad

No reply from Shockabuku?

bearbreeder

Jun 23, 2012, 6:54 PM
Post #268 of 273 (6835 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Khoi] Body weight, sponsors, and climbers [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

i luuuuuuuv pink !!!!

Tongue

JasonsDrivingForce

Jun 25, 2012, 3:29 PM
Post #269 of 273 (6754 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

adigiulian wrote:
Mad

Kind of sad that one year after the first post was made, Sasha’s(mom or dad?) has to make this their first post. I would much rather have seen their first post be something like("Here is the secret to climbing like a champion").

Whatever Sasha is doing looks like it is working to me.

sungam

Jun 25, 2012, 4:44 PM
Post #270 of 273 (6725 views)
Shortcut

Re: [JasonsDrivingForce] Body weight, sponsors, and climbers [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I must be reading/watching to much Game of thrones cuz I keep reading her name as "Sansa" and thinking "Who gives a shit? Can she just stab Joffry and get executed already so Arya and Tyrean can have more screen time?".

JasonsDrivingForce

Jun 25, 2012, 5:22 PM
Post #271 of 273 (6713 views)
Shortcut

Re: [sungam] Body weight, sponsors, and climbers [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

sungam wrote:
I must be reading/watching to much Game of thrones cuz I keep reading her name as "Sansa" and thinking "Who gives a shit? Can she just stab Joffry and get executed already so Arya and Tyrean can have more screen time?".

That is funny because I keep seeing the name “Sungam” and thinking why does a guy from Scotland have the same screen name as an Indian grocery store?

lena_chita

Jun 25, 2012, 6:26 PM
Post #272 of 273 (6689 views)
Shortcut

Re: [sungam] Body weight, sponsors, and climbers [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

sungam wrote:

Maybe you should read the books? You got two of 4 names right. Tongue

sungam

Jun 25, 2012, 9:34 PM
Post #273 of 273 (6647 views)
Shortcut

Re: [lena_chita] Body weight, sponsors, and climbers [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

lena_chita wrote:
sungam wrote:

Maybe you should read the books? You got two of 4 names right. Tongue
I am reading the books (bout 60% through clash of kings), I was just typing in a hurry because I really needed to piss.

First page Previous page 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook