Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 Next page Last page  View All

billl7

Sep 2, 2011, 3:57 PM
Post #26 of 110 (12973 views)
Shortcut

Re: [rescueman] Sliding X Question [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

... and I am with you on the characteristics of a good anchor, the primary of which is strong individual pieces. Using one sliding X is fast but not that much faster ... and not much need for speed in the context of setting a top rope anchor.

Bill L

P.S. Sharp edges - primary is to avoid them. Barring that, pad them and periodically check.

rescueman

Sep 2, 2011, 3:59 PM
Post #27 of 110 (12971 views)
Shortcut

Re: [billl7] Sliding X Question [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

billl7 wrote:
I can understand alerting people to the issue. At the same time, shoe-horning in the word "shock load" for every fall appears disingenuous.

You're missing the point and clearly haven't read my responses. We're talking about the anchor, not the climber.

I made the analogy to hiking down hill. Every one of us has experienced the shock loading on our knees from a long downhill trek. There's nothing ballistic about those gravity loads, but they're clearly more damaging than simply holding up our static weight - enough so that they can destroy knees over time.

Standing with locked knees is an alpine technique called Alpine lock-stepping or the Mountaineer's rest step - this allows the joints to recover from the shock-loading of down stepping by maintaining a static load for a moment.

If this is common sense language in hiking, it should be just as commonsensical in climbing.

If you look up SERENE anchors, you'll find these two websites:

The American Alpine Institute
http://alpineinstitute.blogspot.com/2008/05/popular-anchor-acronyms.html

"No Extention" means that if one piece fails, the anchor will not shockload other parts of the system."

Gaining Elevation: Climbing and Mountaineering Resources
http://www.gainingelevation.com/content/sereneernest-anchors

" No Extension - Anchors should be built so that if one or more of the components fail the remaining components won't be shock loaded."

(This post was edited by rescueman on Sep 2, 2011, 4:01 PM)

jakedatc

Sep 2, 2011, 4:08 PM
Post #28 of 110 (12957 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

hey rescuedouche.. how about posting some photos of recent anchors you've used... on REAL rock.. training and classes do not count.

or how about you climbing something other than a metal pole eh?

poser.

billl7

Sep 2, 2011, 4:10 PM
Post #29 of 110 (12956 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

rescueman wrote:
billl7 wrote:
I can understand alerting people to the issue. At the same time, shoe-horning in the word "shock load" for every fall appears disingenuous.

You're missing the point and clearly haven't read my responses.

That's your assumption and is incorrect. Not a lot I can do about that.

I've done a lot of mountaineering and your reasoning of what's behind the "mountaineer's rest step" I've never heard.

"Joint recovery" - no. Muscle recovery - yes. Edit: Cardiovascular recovery - yes.

The mountaineering rest step is about spending a fair amount of time in a position that doesn't require contracting muscles to hold - the 'rest' ... at least that's been my experience and is my opinion. Sounds like it is not yours.

That said, I have shock loaded my knees ... just not while hiking at a normal pace.

In your comments to me about "no extension", I think you are replying to someone else as I am unsure how that relates to what I've posted. Edit: I think I see - you're bringing in the word shock loading except in the context of anchor failure.

Bill L

(This post was edited by billl7 on Sep 2, 2011, 4:34 PM)

redlude97

Sep 2, 2011, 4:18 PM
Post #30 of 110 (12952 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

rescueman wrote:
billl7 wrote:

You're missing the point and clearly haven't read my responses. We're talking about the anchor, not the climber.

I made the analogy to hiking down hill. Every one of us has experienced the shock loading on our knees from a long downhill trek. There's nothing ballistic about those gravity loads, but they're clearly more damaging than simply holding up our static weight - enough so that they can destroy knees over time.

Standing with locked knees is an alpine technique called Alpine lock-stepping or the Mountaineer's rest step - this allows the joints to recover from the shock-loading of down stepping by maintaining a static load for a moment.

If this is common sense language in hiking, it should be just as commonsensical in climbing.

If you look up SERENE anchors, you'll find these two websites:

The American Alpine Institute
http://alpineinstitute.blogspot.com/2008/05/popular-anchor-acronyms.html

"No Extention" means that if one piece fails, the anchor will not shockload other parts of the system."

Gaining Elevation: Climbing and Mountaineering Resources
http://www.gainingelevation.com/content/sereneernest-anchors

" No Extension - Anchors should be built so that if one or more of the components fail the remaining components won't be shock loaded."
Thats great that you can quote other well respected sources for the common use of the term "shock load". It is also the one understood by almost everyone here except for you. YOU are the only one who claims a 1ft fall on a toprope with a dynamic rope will "shock load" the anchor.

lena_chita

Sep 2, 2011, 4:18 PM
Post #31 of 110 (12951 views)
Shortcut

Re: [scrapedape] Sliding X Question [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

scrapedape wrote:
lena_chita wrote:
CurlyFries wrote:
I am putting together my first TR kit. In the past I have always done my anchors by slinging two bomber trees with webbing long enough to almost meet. Then I connect the two pieces of webbing with biners to a sling acting as a sliding x.

Would it be fine to use two slings instead of one? I was just thinking that everything in the system is backed up except for the sling. Having two slings put together would make the system more redundant, but would it create any unnecessary friction possibly messing with the sliding x?

Thanks!
Dave

Why use the sling at all? Can't you have the webbing pieces tied just a little bit longer, so all you have is two pieces of webbing (one to each anchor tree) and then two locking 'biners that go through both pieces of webbing? It may take a few minutes longer to get the length of both webbing pieces adjusted, but you are setting up single-pitch TR, do couple minutes really matter?

Danger!!!!!! Triaxial loading!!!!!!!!1

Not if you tie two individual pieces of webbing into a joined knot before you clip the locking 'biners into them.

Good call on inserting the warning.
I guess I should have been more specific when I said "put locking 'biners through both pieces of webbing." And for the record, I much prefer a static rope for this sort of thing, instead of the webbing.

Still, unless the anchor trees are too far apart and you create a wide angle with those webbing pieces, I am not sure how much of a worry tri-axial loading would be, with two locking 'biners in your TR setup and relatively small loads that are likely in toproping. Speaking hypothetically, I would not freak out if I climbed on someone else's TR setup and discovered when I got to the anchors that they had 2 locking pear-shaped 'biners oriented narrow-point down, and a triangular loading situation with the two webbing pieces at about 25-30 degree angle, for example.

Maybe someone else can calculate the forces depending on the angle and tell us when the angle gets too wide for triangular loading to be come a serious concern.

bearbreeder

Sep 2, 2011, 4:36 PM
Post #32 of 110 (12932 views)
Shortcut

Re: [CurlyFries] Sliding X Question [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

youll get a lot of flaming answers about shock loading, triaxial loading, the many ways youre gonna die, and rescue "expert" always being right

the simple answer is that if you have 2 separate slings and a biner on each sling (either opposed or lockers) ... and 2 bomber trees ... no you wont die fro it ... id climb on it, sliding X or not

its really that simple ...

now sit back and enjoy the 10+ pages about how many ways your gonna die and how right some rc "expert" needs to be Tongue

tolman_paul

Sep 2, 2011, 5:00 PM
Post #33 of 110 (12916 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

CurlyFries wrote:
I am putting together my first TR kit. In the past I have always done my anchors by slinging two bomber trees with webbing long enough to almost meet. Then I connect the two pieces of webbing with biners to a sling acting as a sliding x.

Would it be fine to use two slings instead of one? I was just thinking that everything in the system is backed up except for the sling. Having two slings put together would make the system more redundant, but would it create any unnecessary friction possibly messing with the sliding x?

Thanks!
Dave

As to your original approach, there is really nothing wrong with it, I've used that technique for decades. Yes, you can double up the sling, but then why not use double ropes, and a double harness? A single strong sling in good condition will suffice. There is a point at which you will be relying on single pieces of gear in your system, which is why those items need to be in good condition, and retired when worn out.

As to those who decry the sliding X, I want to see a show of hands of those who have blown out a top rope anchor?

scrapedape

Sep 2, 2011, 5:02 PM
Post #34 of 110 (12914 views)
Shortcut

Re: [lena_chita] Sliding X Question [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

lena_chita wrote:
scrapedape wrote:

Not if you tie two individual pieces of webbing into a joined knot before you clip the locking 'biners into them.

That was actually a bit of a joking reference to this thread, where rescueman's concern over triaxial loading in TR anchors degenerated into ten pages of poop flinging.

jt512

Sep 2, 2011, 5:09 PM
Post #35 of 110 (12911 views)
Shortcut

Re: [wwalt822] Sliding X Question [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

wwalt822 wrote:
rescueman wrote:
Don't kid yourself. Unless you keep the belay tight to the climber at every moment, then any fall is a shock load.

I want to make a Reel Rock contest video where the characters only speak in quotes taken directly from this website. This would be one of them.

Do it!

Partner cracklover

Sep 2, 2011, 5:25 PM
Post #36 of 110 (12902 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

CurlyFries wrote:

Thanks!
Dave

What you use for material isn't all that important. You can have a sling in the middle, or at one end, or not at all. But whatever you do, get rid of the sliding X configuration in the middle. Sliding X's are great, but they're out of place in a TR anchor.

The sliding X will just encourage your slings to move around over the top of the crag as you climb and during any falls with a swing in them. This causes the webbing up top to rub over the edge - exactly what you want to avoid happening.

Sliding X is great for giving better than average equalization for two worse than average points of protection. For your toprope anchor, both of your points of protection will likely be many times stronger than what's needed to hold the entire load.

So you gain nothing from the dynamic equalization, and it causes additional rubbing over the edge.

GO

lena_chita

Sep 2, 2011, 6:00 PM
Post #37 of 110 (12883 views)
Shortcut

Re: [scrapedape] Sliding X Question [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

scrapedape wrote:
lena_chita wrote:
scrapedape wrote:

That was actually a bit of a joking reference to this thread, where rescueman's concern over triaxial loading in TR anchors degenerated into ten pages of poop flinging.

Oh, yeah. I think I blocked that thread out of my mind deliberately.

petsfed

Sep 2, 2011, 6:21 PM
Post #38 of 110 (12870 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

rescueman wrote:
styndall wrote:
It's a top-rope. There aren't shock loads.

Don't kid yourself. Unless you keep the belay tight to the climber at every moment, then any fall is a shock load.

Even a fall on a perfectly tight belay imparts double the climber's weight on the rope and about 1.67x that on the anchor.

And man, most top rope anchors can't take a 250 pound load!

It is the case that that 250 lbs is not a static load. But it is a gross misunderstanding of the physics involved to believe that it is applied faster than the rope can dissipate it.

Sure, if your time resolution is on the order of hours, that load acts like a delta function. But on the order of seconds, its a much slower process, so to claim that its a "shock load" in the physics sense indicates a complete lack of any real knowledge of physics.

As far as SERENE goes, the first two are counter to each other. If each piece is solid, why would you need to equalize between them? Based on the strength ratings and expected performance on rock, any one piece is up to the task, so there's no need to distribute the load amongst them.

Its a good rule of thumb for learning anchor building, but if you are still saying to yourself "Solid, check, Equalized, check..." every time you set an anchor after 20 years of this stuff, I'm inclined to believe that you don't actually understand what you're talking about.

To the OP, like cracklover said, all a dynamic equalization will get you is greater sling abrasion, which increases the likelihood that a sling will break, and then you have to worry about whether or not plastic or elastic deformation does most of the energy dissipation in a climbing rope (although over long time scales, it is almost entirely elastic, the question is over < 1 second time scales). Even so, if "shock loading" occurs in that event, its equivalent to a 2-3 foot leader fall, and if your other piece isn't up to that, shock loading, as a concept, is the least of your worries.

Gmburns2000

Sep 2, 2011, 7:59 PM
Post #39 of 110 (12840 views)
Shortcut

Re: [wwalt822] Sliding X Question [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

wwalt822 wrote:
rescueman wrote:

I want to make a Reel Rock contest video where the characters only speak in quotes taken directly from this website. This would be one of them.

I think it would be a winner. You should do it.

wwalt822

Sep 2, 2011, 8:15 PM
Post #40 of 110 (12832 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Gmburns2000] Sliding X Question [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm seriously thinking about it

Partner drector

Sep 2, 2011, 8:20 PM
Post #41 of 110 (12826 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

rescueman wrote:
Even a fall on a perfectly tight belay imparts double the climber's weight on the rope and about 1.67x that on the anchor.

I am assuming that a fall with a tight belay mean that the climber is simply hanging on the rope. If the climber weighs 200 lbs then the anchor is holding 320 lbs and the climber side of the rope feels just the 200 lbs. The belayer doesn't need to hold the full 200 lbs because of the friction at the anchor.

If there were no friction at the anchor then the anchor would be holding the 200lbs of the climber and the 200lbs of the belayer since they would have to be in balance.

Never does the rope experience more than the weight of the climber in this situation! How could it since there is nothing heavier than 200 lbs hanging on it?

Dave

rescueman

Sep 2, 2011, 10:15 PM
Post #42 of 110 (12796 views)
Shortcut

Re: [drector] Sliding X Question [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

drector wrote:
Never does the rope experience more than the weight of the climber in this situation! How could it since there is nothing heavier than 200 lbs hanging on it?

This is precisely the difference I've been trying to demonstrate between the two kinds of loads on climbing systems: static and dynamic.

You're correct if the full weight of the climber is freely hanging on the rope, but not if the climber falls on a tight belay rope. In a zero fall factor fall (no vertical displacement before being caught by the rope), the climber still accelerates until the stretch of the rope absorbs his momentum and decelerates the climber. At the point of complete deceleration, the climber will experience 2 G's of force - or double his/her weight.

(This post was edited by rescueman on Sep 2, 2011, 10:15 PM)
Attachments: Fall Factor 0.jpg (51.7 KB)

rescueman

Sep 2, 2011, 10:34 PM
Post #43 of 110 (12786 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

billl7 wrote:

I don't make assumptions, and your subsequent response confirmed that I was fully correct in my assessment of your inadequate comprehension.

There may not be a lot you can do about it, but you could at least make an effort.

My point was that we use the term shock load in any number of applications in outdoor pursuits - and it means any dynamic load that can cause injury or damage.

There are static loads and dynamic or shock loads (AMGA uses the same language), but unless you're doing tactical rope work there are unlikely to be ballistic loads.

rescueman

Sep 2, 2011, 10:38 PM
Post #44 of 110 (12783 views)
Shortcut

Re: [tolman_paul] Sliding X Question [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

tolman_paul wrote:
As to those who decry the sliding X, I want to see a show of hands of those who have blown out a top rope anchor?

All the sensible responders here have stated that a sliding X is unnecessary and may be problematic.

The core of my initial response was:"Unless you're planning to use one anchor for multiple routes or climb far off-route, a fixed focused multi-point anchor is safer than a sliding X. Use the KISS principle and don't over complicate a simple top rope anchor."

But some bozos here cherry-picked my use of the term shock load and hijacked the thread rather than focusing on our points of agreement: Keep it simple and safe.

Here's the kind of unanticipated consequence that can occur with such a system with just a couple of foolish errors.

Fatal Climbing Accident
Happy Hour Crag, Boulder Canyon Happy Hour Crag, Boulder Canyon, April 20, 2000

The upper anchor system, set up for a “top-rope, bottom belay” on Dementia, failed while a climber was being lowered, resulting in the death of the climber. Both the climber (victim) and partner reportedly had years of active experience at 5thclass climbing.
• The anchor system was rigged by the climber using webbing purchased by the climber the day before—specifically for this climb. The knots in this webbing were tied by the climber at the anchor just prior to the climb.
• The climber had reportedly put his weight on the belay rope, and thus on the anchor, during the climb.
• The anchor system failed as the climber was being lowered. The climber fell 60 ft. and was fatally injured.

(This post was edited by rescueman on Sep 2, 2011, 10:44 PM)
Attachments: Slide3.gif (28.2 KB)
  Slide4.gif (26.5 KB)

bearbreeder

Sep 2, 2011, 10:48 PM
Post #45 of 110 (12775 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

rescueman wrote:
tolman_paul wrote:

All the sensible responders here have stated that a sliding X is unnecessary and may be problematic.

The core of my initial response was:"Unless you're planning to use one anchor for multiple routes or climb far off-route, a fixed focused multi-point anchor is safer than a sliding X. Use the KISS principle and don't over complicate a simple top rope anchor."

But some bozos here cherry-picked my use of the term shock load and hijacked the thread rather than focusing on our points of agreement: Keep it simple and safe.

Here's the kind of unanticipated consequence that can occur with such a system with just a couple of foolish errors.

Fatal Climbing Accident
Happy Hour Crag, Boulder Canyon Happy Hour Crag, Boulder Canyon, April 20, 2000

The upper anchor system, set up for a “top-rope, bottom belay” on Dementia, failed while a climber was being lowered, resulting in the death of the climber. Both the climber (victim) and partner reportedly had years of active experience at 5thclass climbing.
• The anchor system was rigged by the climber using webbing purchased by the climber the day before—specifically for this climb. The knots in this webbing were tied by the climber at the anchor just prior to the climb.
• The climber had reportedly put his weight on the belay rope, and thus on the anchor, during the climb.
• The anchor system failed as the climber was being lowered. The climber fell 60 ft. and was fatally injured.

[image]http://www.rockclimbing.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=5946;[/image]

[image]http://www.rockclimbing.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=5947;[/image]

1. that is not a sliding x ...

2. if the biner was put in a sliding x in the centre sling, the climber might still be alive

3. thats a failure of the climber to check the take, and the seller to inform the buyer about the tape slice

again ... that is NOT a sliding x ... but then some people would use any accident to be right

besides the OP has TWO sliding Xs Tongue

shockabuku

Sep 2, 2011, 10:49 PM
Post #46 of 110 (12774 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

rescueman wrote:
shockabuku wrote:
Can you point to some empirical evidence, such as accident rates due to failure of the sliding-X vs. a cordellette, that lends credence to your statement that a fixed multi-point anchor is safer than a sliding-X?

It's dumbfounding that people today demand "scientific proof" for a practice that common sense would require. But common sense is, perhaps, the least common sense today.

Part of the SERENE principle (that is generally accepted) for any kind of climbing anchor is "no extension". A self-equalizing anchor allows extension upon failure of a single leg, which results in dynamic loading and shifting of the remainder of the system.

And, by the way, some climbers routinely top rope on static line, and webbing is a good deal more static than static line, which has up to 6% stretch at 10% of MBS.

The trees might, in fact, be "bomber" and 4,000 MBS webbing is more than strong enough, but webbing abrades and cuts very easily at an edge and there have been fatalities when climbers have used brand new webbing with taped joints from the manufacturer's spool. Improperly tied knots can slip apart. In other words, shit happens.

If one leg of the anchor should (for any reason) fail, then a sliding X would allow both sudden extension and a re-orientation of the remaining leg over the rock edge, potentially causing rapid abrasion and cutting.

Others here have advocated the same general principle: KISS. Don't complicate what should be a simple anchor system. The more pieces of gear, the more connections and - particularly - the more potential for sudden extension and abrasion, the more potential for failure.

KISS: Keep It Simple & Safe.

So, to summarize, your answer is no, you have no real proof that's the sliding-X is less safe.

billl7

Sep 2, 2011, 10:50 PM
Post #47 of 110 (12772 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

rescueman wrote:
billl7 wrote:

I don't make assumptions ...

Uh huh.

binrat

Sep 2, 2011, 11:48 PM
Post #48 of 110 (12751 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

billl7 wrote:
rescueman wrote:
billl7 wrote:

I don't make assumptions ...

Uh huh.
Smile

billl7

Sep 3, 2011, 12:00 AM
Post #49 of 110 (12745 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

rescueman wrote:
But some bozos here cherry-picked my use of the term shock load and hijacked the thread ...

Seems you've done your share such as "half a fishermans" versus the terms you prefer. Be fair in handing out the dunce cap - it's not just the other guys all the time.

Thanks for the outline of the taped-joint problem. It seems the rig could have fairly easily had enough redundancy. Sad.

Bill

rescueman

Sep 3, 2011, 12:11 AM
Post #50 of 110 (12741 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

billl7 wrote:
Seems you've done your share such as "half a fishermans" versus the terms you prefer.

Preferences are like the proverbial opinions - like assholes, everyone seems to have one.

Some preferences, however, have rational, well-intentioned, and thoughtful reasons behind them, rather than simple bias or habit or laziness.

The terminology I prefer, and attempt to encourage others to use, is clear, unambiguous, simple, generic and comprehensible. Since the purpose of human language is the communication of ideas, I prefer (and wish others would prefer) terminology that enhances rather than confuses communication.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Beginners

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook