RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Technique & Training

Premier Sponsor:

unbrbldeath

Sep 13, 2011, 8:32 AM
Post #1 of 15 (7115 views)
Shortcut

training to surpass my limit
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hey guys so I need help finding a training program that will allow me to pass up my peek. Technically I've been climbing for 5 years but only about 3 of that time has been active. At the moment I have climbed about 5 V6's and I want to be able to climb more of them and start to climb V7's or V8's. Any recommendations on a training program to push past the V5/6 bump?

Just so you have some idea of what I'm doing right now, I climb in the gym 3 to 4 days a week for anywhere from 2-5hrs each time but I don't seem to be climbing any better.

sungam

Sep 13, 2011, 11:40 AM
Post #2 of 15 (7084 views)
Shortcut

Re: [unbrbldeath] training to surpass my limit [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Definitely seems like a case of needing to train smarter, not more often. Your volumee seems to be fine.

When you "train", what do you do? Just boulder about, or do you have a structure?

lena_chita

Sep 13, 2011, 12:07 PM
Post #3 of 15 (7070 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

Is all your climbing indoor, or are you talking about boulder problems outside?

I agree with sungam, the amount of time you spend in a gym is quite adequate.

Try to identify your relative strengths and weaknesses and work on the skills that are relatively weak.

If you can, mix things up. Climb different styles of problems, go to different areas outside, climb different rock types. Basicly, expand your skill set.

saint_john

Sep 13, 2011, 5:20 PM
Post #4 of 15 (7022 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

Do you climb with people that can send V7/8?

unbrbldeath

Sep 13, 2011, 5:42 PM
Post #5 of 15 (7012 views)
Shortcut

Re: [sungam] training to surpass my limit [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

sungam wrote:
Definitely seems like a case of needing to train smarter, not more often. Your volumee seems to be fine.

When you "train", what do you do? Just boulder about, or do you have a structure?

I don't have much of a structure other than warming up for 30-45min and cooling down with some laps on a campus board. Normally i'll climb until I feel warm enough to start climbing my V6 projects and go around the gym trying them a few times each.

unbrbldeath

Sep 13, 2011, 5:47 PM
Post #6 of 15 (7009 views)
Shortcut

Re: [lena_chita] training to surpass my limit [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

lena_chita wrote:
Is all your climbing indoor, or are you talking about boulder problems outside?

I agree with sungam, the amount of time you spend in a gym is quite adequate.

Try to identify your relative strengths and weaknesses and work on the skills that are relatively weak.

If you can, mix things up. Climb different styles of problems, go to different areas outside, climb different rock types. Basicly, expand your skill set.

I mainly climb indoors, I dont have crash pads and my friends that do live 1hr or so away. I'd say the holds and problems I feel I'm better at are ones with pinches or slopers I'm not great at crimping but I can do them when I need to and have been trying to work problems with more crimps to train my fingers to crimp more efficiently.

unbrbldeath

Sep 13, 2011, 5:50 PM
Post #7 of 15 (7006 views)
Shortcut

Re: [saint_john] training to surpass my limit [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

saint_john wrote:
Do you climb with people that can send V7/8?

Yes and no most of the guys I climb with work the 7's and are definitely better than me but they're not constantly sending 7's and 8's

sungam

Sep 13, 2011, 9:18 PM
Post #8 of 15 (6928 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

unbrbldeath wrote:
cooling down with some laps on a campus board.
Eeep! That is not a cool down!

As far as structured training goes, browse the net - there is a huge amount of info if you know where to look. Check out Rockprodigy's "The making of a Rockprodigy" on this website, look at Greshem's stuff over at planet fear, and Horst's stuff over at Nicros.

Feel free to watch the "pro tips" on youtube but ignore the advice on one arm hangs unless you weigh 80 pounds or less - one arm hangs are one of the fastest fastrack to shoulder injury. Malcolm Smith gives some good advice.

bentgate03

Sep 13, 2011, 10:11 PM
Post #9 of 15 (6922 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

unbrbldeath wrote:
sungam wrote:

I don't have much of a structure other than warming up for 30-45min and cooling down with some laps on a campus board. Normally i'll climb until I feel warm enough to start climbing my V6 projects and go around the gym trying them a few times each.

"cooling down on the campus board"

This line right here tells me that you do not have a structured training regime. No one in there right mind would "cool" down on a campus board.

To break into higher grades takes more than wandering around trying problems haphazardly as the others have suggested. Being able to be in a gym for 5 hours suggest what you are doing is unfocused. If you are training properly 5 hours sessions are way too long.

Go into each session with a training goal in mind and achieve that goal. Find out why you are failing and configure your training to eliminate those weaknesses.

Quality over quantity. Spend less but more focused time in the gym. Read what others have suggested.

Moonclimbing is also a good resource as well.

(This post was edited by bentgate03 on Sep 13, 2011, 10:12 PM)

spikeddem

Sep 13, 2011, 10:15 PM
Post #10 of 15 (6915 views)
Shortcut

Re: [bentgate03] training to surpass my limit [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

bentgate03 wrote:
unbrbldeath wrote:
sungam wrote:

"cooling down on the campus board"

This line right here tells me that you do not have a structured training regime. No one in there right mind would "cool" down on a campus board.

To break into higher grades takes more than wandering around trying problems haphazardly as the others have suggested. Being able to be in a gym for 5 hours suggest what you are doing is unfocused. If you are training properly 5 hours sessions are way too long.

Go into each session with a training goal in mind and achieve that goal. Find out why you are failing and configure your training to eliminate those weaknesses.

Quality over quantity. Spend less but more focused time in the gym. Read what others have suggested.

Moonclimbing is also a good resource as well.

Nice post, Bentgate03. I agree.

unbrbldeath

Sep 14, 2011, 5:06 AM
Post #11 of 15 (6867 views)
Shortcut

Re: [spikeddem] training to surpass my limit [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Just to clarify I am using my legs on the campus board but that is still probably a bad idea i'm guessing. I guess I have no clue on how to cool down then. So I'll go check out the pro tips on youtube and see if i can get some tips on a training program.

You're correct that I have no steady training program I wouldn't even call what I do training really its just climbing. So what do you guys do to cool down?

sungam

Sep 14, 2011, 9:51 AM
Post #12 of 15 (6843 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

A cool down should be the same as your warm up, but shorter. Easy climbing on excellent holds at an easy angle, slowly tapering off the intensity.

MS1

Sep 14, 2011, 12:29 PM
Post #13 of 15 (6828 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

unbrbldeath wrote:
Just to clarify I am using my legs on the campus board but that is still probably a bad idea i'm guessing. I guess I have no clue on how to cool down then. So I'll go check out the pro tips on youtube and see if i can get some tips on a training program.

You're correct that I have no steady training program I wouldn't even call what I do training really its just climbing. So what do you guys do to cool down?

My typical cool-down:

Drop down to hardest grade I can consistently finish when tired. Do two problems at that grade. Then subtract a grade and do two problems at that difficulty. Repeat until you are at vEasy, and then quit for the day. I usually stick with problems I know well, focusing on climbing with good technique (which is harder when you are tired).

bentgate03

Sep 14, 2011, 1:28 PM
Post #14 of 15 (6805 views)
Shortcut

Re: [MS1] training to surpass my limit [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

MS1 wrote:
unbrbldeath wrote:

My typical cool-down:

Drop down to hardest grade I can consistently finish when tired. Do two problems at that grade. Then subtract a grade and do two problems at that difficulty. Repeat until you are at vEasy, and then quit for the day. I usually stick with problems I know well, focusing on climbing with good technique (which is harder when you are tired).

I would add to that light stretching. I also do some sport massage to my forearms and fingers to aid in the removal of waste build-up and increase blood flow. This helps stimulate healing and repair. After a particularly hard session i usually even go home and ice my elbows before I hop in the shower. Ice-heat-ice helps get blood flow into those notoriously hard places to get blood flow into.

JAB

Sep 14, 2011, 2:13 PM
Post #15 of 15 (6793 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Like was earlier said, the first thing is to start climbing with people who are better than you. This you already have. So when you struggle and fall off a move, carefully study how your stronger friend does the move, and ask them to study what you do. Is your foot slipping? Maybe you need to use your core better. Can't you reach the next hold? Maybe a slight adjustment of a knee drop would help.

Work the same problem several times, and try to do the moves as perfectly as possible. This can actually be beneficial on easier problems too, try to understand how different positions, static vs dynamic moves, rests etc can be utilised to send the problem with the minimum amount of energy.

Forums : Climbing Information : Technique & Training

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook